2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Player of the year

00steven

> @imakaveli said:

> > @Hankshank said:

> > > @imakaveli said:

> > > We are putting Rory in the discussion because of the gazillions he won at the Tour Championship. Would they have been 2M$ nobody would have cared. 1, 10, or 100m$ doesn't differ. Rory is richer, but Brooks played better.

> > Rory had more going for him. Players and lot of good results, mr consistency. But he didnt show that A-game of his many times.

>

> Rory is now a golden journeyman, Koepka is dominating the PGA Tour.

The digs at Rory are never ending but getting more and more ridiculous. Golden journeyman is silly.

Koepka's been the best player in the majors since 2017 by some distance but he isn't even close to dominating the PGA Tour.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> for PGA Tour Player of the Year

>

> Rory McIlroy

> 3 wins: TPC, Tour Championship, Canadian Open

> 1 second place: WGC Mexico

> 14 top 10s in 19 starts

> FedEX Cup Champion

> Vardon Trophy winner

> Best Strokes Gained Total ever by anyone not named Tiger

> 2nd in official money

>

> Brooks Koepka

> 3 wins: PGA, WGC Memphis, CJ Cup

> 3 seconds: Masters, US Open, Honda

> 9 top 10s in 21 starts

> 2019 PGA Player of the Year (this is the one that uses a point system)

> won money title

> Number 1 OWGR and had the highest total since the start of the PGA Tour year

>

>

> Brooks hold off Rory for my vote

>

> Tiger Woods wins the "Pro Golfer of the Year" Trophy.

This, you could give Tiger the bouce back player of the year or something like that.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Depends on what you value more. The play in the majors or consistency over the course of the entire 2018-2019 season. If you value Majors more, Koepka is the clear winner. He was top 5 in all 4 this year and won one of them. If you value consistency over the length of the entire season then McIlroy is your POY.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @imakaveli said:

> > > @Hankshank said:

> > > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > We are putting Rory in the discussion because of the gazillions he won at the Tour Championship. Would they have been 2M$ nobody would have cared. 1, 10, or 100m$ doesn't differ. Rory is richer, but Brooks played better.

> > > Rory had more going for him. Players and lot of good results, mr consistency. But he didnt show that A-game of his many times.

> >

> > Rory is now a golden journeyman, Koepka is dominating the PGA Tour.

>

> The digs at Rory are never ending but getting more and more ridiculous. Golden journeyman is silly.

> Koepka's been the best player in the majors since 2017 by some distance but he isn't even close to dominating the PGA Tour.

We agree to disagreen then

> @Hankshank said:

> > @aenemated said:

> > That Rory never even contended in any of the majors - despite an otherwise awesome year - is enough to give it to Brooks.

> Thats the question really. What is majors performances compared to performances in other tournaments.

> One of the most remarkable number that Tiger had and one that he often mentioned was the number of tournaments without missing the cut. He did not do bad tournaments. Doing little bad is rather big.

> That said, It think I agree with you.

>

> Rory at the first tee of Portrush did not help his getting the POY. That hole must be his worst golf memory of this year. Not that he cares much about the POY supposedly, but that hook is probably the one he would pick for the mulligan of the year...

Yeah, maybe the argument for him would be stronger if he'd have just made the cut at Portrush. But that he never had a chance would, if it were me voting, be the disqualifier.

Not a slight against him at all. When he brings his A game, I don't think there's anyone in the world that can beat him and I'm rooting for him to win pretty much every time he tees it up. That game just didn't show up at some key points in the season.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @ksgolfcoach said:

> > It’s brooks and it isn’t even close. The players know how special majors are and to go 1,2,2, and 4 in them wins you player of the year over a guy with none

>

> Brooks won 1 major this year. Rory won the Players, which is considered by most to be a major even though its technically not one. I think they're on equal footing that way.

>

> Being on the first page of the leaderboard literally every tournament you play - which Rory basically was this year - its much more POTY worthy, in my opinion.

"considered by most to be a major"????

No it is not, no one considers the players a major. The Players does not equal the PGA.

My guess is that Brooks will win the vote - but both of them are deserving of POY. Rory's consistency was up there with a couple of prime Tiger years.

What even happened to that guy named Spieth. The one I heard was so good that he would end up at 100 wins and 20 majors and so good that that Tiger should just retire and never come back.

> @hdr_ric said:

> > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > @ksgolfcoach said:

> > > It’s brooks and it isn’t even close. The players know how special majors are and to go 1,2,2, and 4 in them wins you player of the year over a guy with none

> >

> > Brooks won 1 major this year. Rory won the Players, which is considered by most to be a major even though its technically not one. I think they're on equal footing that way.

> >

> > Being on the first page of the leaderboard literally every tournament you play - which Rory basically was this year - its much more POTY worthy, in my opinion.

>

> "considered by most to be a major"????

> No it is not, no one considers the players a major. The Players does not equal the PGA.

> My guess is that Brooks will win the vote - but both of them are deserving of POY. Rory's consistency was up there with a couple of prime Tiger years.

>

> What even happened to that guy named Spieth. The one I heard was so good that he would end up at 100 wins and 20 majors and so good that that Tiger should just retire and never come back.

How is Spieth relevant to anything being discussed? I'm confused.

Koepka Bruce...his petulance acknowledged

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @grm24 said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > Rory walks home with 3 historically significant trophies: The Players, **The Fed Ex Cup** and the Vardon Trophy.

>

> When and how did the Fed Ex Cup become historically significant?

>

This is an important debate.

Supporters of Rory McIlroy will knock the PGA Championship as the least impressive of the 4 majors. They will cite unspectacular winners like Y.E. Yang, Martin Kaymer, Keegan Bradley, Jason Dufner, and Jimmy Walker.

On the other hand supporters of Brooks Koepka will knock the Fed Ex Cup for not being a "major" and for being won by the likes of Jim Furyk, Brandt Snedeker, Henrik Stenson and Billy Horschel.

Does either side have a good point?

I think that for a while both sides could be said to have been right. However, the last 5-6 years have given us a slew of elite names.

In recent years the PGA Championship has been won by guys like Brooks Koepka (twice), Rory McIlroy (twice), Justin Thomas and Jason Day. Those are all players who've at some point been the #1 player in the world. So we're definitely talking about elite golfers.

Meanwhile, recent Fed Ex Cups have gone to Rory (twice), Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas and Justin Rose. Again, that's a bunch of guys who can all lay claim to being #1 in the world.

So clearly both of these titles are important to the game's elites.

I still think that the Masters and British Opens are #1 for both American and international players, respectively. I think the US Open still has the credibility we associate with a true "major."

So I still think those 3 tournaments are the big ones. But the lines separating the The Players, The PGA and the Fed Ex Cup are starting to blur.

For a journeyman who's thinking about money, I suspect the Fed Ex Cup holds some big-time appeal. That could deliver more money than a normal player will make in a lifetime!

For a guy who's never won a major, I'm sure the PGA Championship means the most. Being able to say you're a "major winner" is undoubtedly a huge thing.

But at the same time, for a guy like Rory who's already got a few majors including 2 PGA's, I think checking off The Players Championship can be just as fulfilling.

I'm not saying Rory wouldn't be happy with a PGA but I doubt he'd be willing to trade his only Players for a 3rd Wanamaker.

So all 3 have their appeal.

You may not think the Fed Ex Cup is a huge mark for a player, but I just disagree. Given how much is at stake, how hard it is to win and the quality of recent winners, I think it's undoubtedly a huge accomplishment.

All that being said, I still think the greatest trophy in all of golf is the Vardon Trophy.

I think we should always default to the Vardon Trophy winner as the POTY unless we have reason to give it to someone else. Had Koepka won a couple majors, I'd be in his camp. But since he only has one, I have to side with the guy who secured his second Vardon Trophy along with his first Players Championship before topping it off with his second Fed Ex Cup as well.

I think it's really wonderful that Koepka placed so highly in the majors, but I would feel bad giving POTY to anyone because they got "close."

Lastly, I should point out that the LPGA has the Annika Major award for this kind of situation. Sometimes the player who played the best in majors needs to be given a specific award despite not being the POTY. The Annika Major award isolates ONLY the majors and can ONLY be won by a player who took home at least one of their 5 majors.

The PGA ought to have something like that and it would be fitting to give it to Brooks for how well he played. But you can't go giving out POTY because a guy was "close" in majors unless you're literally breaking a tie somewhere.

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

• 2 weeks later...

> @OldTomMorris said:

> It probably should be Brooks but I wouldn't be surprised if Rory gets the nod from the players.

As I suspected the players went for Rory. I understood the case for Rory but these two players care more about majors and Brooks was way better in those events.

[https://golfchannel.com/news/rory-mcilroy-tops-brooks-koepka-pga-tour-player-year](https://www.golfchannel.com/news/rory-mcilroy-tops-brooks-koepka-pga-tour-player-year "https://golfchannel.com/news/rory-mcilroy-tops-brooks-koepka-pga-tour-player-year")

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Really tells you that either

1.) The players really care about that $15mm, and/or

2.) The players are really getting annoyed by Brooks

• Like 3

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

"Koepka became the fifth player to finish in the top 5 at all four majors in a single season with his victory at the PGA Championship, runner-up finishes at the Masters and U.S. Open, and a tie for fourth at The Open." He also won a WGC event.

And then Rory with this. lol, give me a break. This is embarrassing that Rory won this.

“I think [the player vote] speaks volumes about what PGA Tour players feel [is] important. Players just don’t feel only four weeks are important. We play for more than just what the narrative suggests.”

> @MelloYello said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > Rory walks home with 3 historically significant trophies: The Players, **The Fed Ex Cup** and the Vardon Trophy.

> >

> > When and how did the Fed Ex Cup become historically significant?

> >

>

> This is an important debate.

>

> Supporters of Rory McIlroy will knock the PGA Championship as the least impressive of the 4 majors. They will cite unspectacular winners like Y.E. Yang, Martin Kaymer, Keegan Bradley, Jason Dufner, and Jimmy Walker.

>

> On the other hand supporters of Brooks Koepka will knock the Fed Ex Cup for not being a "major" and for being won by the likes of Jim Furyk, Brandt Snedeker, Henrik Stenson and Billy Horschel.

>

> Does either side have a good point?

>

> I think that for a while both sides could be said to have been right. However, the last 5-6 years have given us a slew of elite names.

>

> In recent years the PGA Championship has been won by guys like Brooks Koepka (twice), Rory McIlroy (twice), Justin Thomas and Jason Day. Those are all players who've at some point been the #1 player in the world. So we're definitely talking about elite golfers.

>

> Meanwhile, recent Fed Ex Cups have gone to Rory (twice), Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas and Justin Rose. Again, that's a bunch of guys who can all lay claim to being #1 in the world.

>

> So clearly both of these titles are important to the game's elites.

>

> I still think that the Masters and British Opens are #1 for both American and international players, respectively. I think the US Open still has the credibility we associate with a true "major."

>

> So I still think those 3 tournaments are the big ones. But the lines separating the The Players, The PGA and the Fed Ex Cup are starting to blur.

>

> For a journeyman who's thinking about money, I suspect the Fed Ex Cup holds some big-time appeal. That could deliver more money than a normal player will make in a lifetime!

>

> For a guy who's never won a major, I'm sure the PGA Championship means the most. Being able to say you're a "major winner" is undoubtedly a huge thing.

>

> But at the same time, for a guy like Rory who's already got a few majors including 2 PGA's, I think checking off The Players Championship can be just as fulfilling.

>

> I'm not saying Rory wouldn't be happy with a PGA but I doubt he'd be willing to trade his only Players for a 3rd Wanamaker.

>

> So all 3 have their appeal.

>

> You may not think the Fed Ex Cup is a huge mark for a player, but I just disagree. Given how much is at stake, how hard it is to win and the quality of recent winners, I think it's undoubtedly a huge accomplishment.

>

>

> All that being said, I still think the greatest trophy in all of golf is the Vardon Trophy.

>

> I think we should always default to the Vardon Trophy winner as the POTY unless we have reason to give it to someone else. Had Koepka won a couple majors, I'd be in his camp. But since he only has one, I have to side with the guy who secured his second Vardon Trophy along with his first Players Championship before topping it off with his second Fed Ex Cup as well.

>

> I think it's really wonderful that Koepka placed so highly in the majors, but I would feel bad giving POTY to anyone because they got "close."

>

> Lastly, I should point out that the LPGA has the Annika Major award for this kind of situation. Sometimes the player who played the best in majors needs to be given a specific award despite not being the POTY. The Annika Major award isolates ONLY the majors and can ONLY be won by a player who took home at least one of their 5 majors.

>

> The PGA ought to have something like that and it would be fitting to give it to Brooks for how well he played. But you can't go giving out POTY because a guy was "close" in majors unless you're literally breaking a tie somewhere.

Surprise result. But this tells you either that the Tour players don't like Koepka much and this was partly a popularity contest, or that winning the Players and the Tour Championship is more impressive than winning the PGA Championship, or a combination of both. I think if Rory had been in better contention in the majors even without winning one this wouldn't have been such a surprise.

ridiculous and i like Rory. BK's

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @LICC said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > Rory walks home with 3 historically significant trophies: The Players, **The Fed Ex Cup** and the Vardon Trophy.

> > >

> > > When and how did the Fed Ex Cup become historically significant?

> > >

> >

> > This is an important debate.

> >

> > Supporters of Rory McIlroy will knock the PGA Championship as the least impressive of the 4 majors. They will cite unspectacular winners like Y.E. Yang, Martin Kaymer, Keegan Bradley, Jason Dufner, and Jimmy Walker.

> >

> > On the other hand supporters of Brooks Koepka will knock the Fed Ex Cup for not being a "major" and for being won by the likes of Jim Furyk, Brandt Snedeker, Henrik Stenson and Billy Horschel.

> >

> > Does either side have a good point?

> >

> > I think that for a while both sides could be said to have been right. However, the last 5-6 years have given us a slew of elite names.

> >

> > In recent years the PGA Championship has been won by guys like Brooks Koepka (twice), Rory McIlroy (twice), Justin Thomas and Jason Day. Those are all players who've at some point been the #1 player in the world. So we're definitely talking about elite golfers.

> >

> > Meanwhile, recent Fed Ex Cups have gone to Rory (twice), Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas and Justin Rose. Again, that's a bunch of guys who can all lay claim to being #1 in the world.

> >

> > So clearly both of these titles are important to the game's elites.

> >

> > I still think that the Masters and British Opens are #1 for both American and international players, respectively. I think the US Open still has the credibility we associate with a true "major."

> >

> > So I still think those 3 tournaments are the big ones. But the lines separating the The Players, The PGA and the Fed Ex Cup are starting to blur.

> >

> > For a journeyman who's thinking about money, I suspect the Fed Ex Cup holds some big-time appeal. That could deliver more money than a normal player will make in a lifetime!

> >

> > For a guy who's never won a major, I'm sure the PGA Championship means the most. Being able to say you're a "major winner" is undoubtedly a huge thing.

> >

> > But at the same time, for a guy like Rory who's already got a few majors including 2 PGA's, I think checking off The Players Championship can be just as fulfilling.

> >

> > I'm not saying Rory wouldn't be happy with a PGA but I doubt he'd be willing to trade his only Players for a 3rd Wanamaker.

> >

> > So all 3 have their appeal.

> >

> > You may not think the Fed Ex Cup is a huge mark for a player, but I just disagree. Given how much is at stake, how hard it is to win and the quality of recent winners, I think it's undoubtedly a huge accomplishment.

> >

> >

> > All that being said, I still think the greatest trophy in all of golf is the Vardon Trophy.

> >

> > I think we should always default to the Vardon Trophy winner as the POTY unless we have reason to give it to someone else. Had Koepka won a couple majors, I'd be in his camp. But since he only has one, I have to side with the guy who secured his second Vardon Trophy along with his first Players Championship before topping it off with his second Fed Ex Cup as well.

> >

> > I think it's really wonderful that Koepka placed so highly in the majors, but I would feel bad giving POTY to anyone because they got "close."

> >

> > Lastly, I should point out that the LPGA has the Annika Major award for this kind of situation. Sometimes the player who played the best in majors needs to be given a specific award despite not being the POTY. The Annika Major award isolates ONLY the majors and can ONLY be won by a player who took home at least one of their 5 majors.

> >

> > The PGA ought to have something like that and it would be fitting to give it to Brooks for how well he played. But you can't go giving out POTY because a guy was "close" in majors unless you're literally breaking a tie somewhere.

>

> Surprise result. But this tells you either that the Tour players don't like Koepka much and this was partly a popularity contest, or that winning the Players and the Tour Championship is more impressive than winning the PGA Championship, or a combination of both. I think if Rory had been in better contention in the majors even without winning one this wouldn't have been such a surprise.

Agreed, but he wasn't so...

> @DrivingChamp said:

> > @PZero said:

> > Glad to see Rory win. Brooks was getting too cocky.

>

> Who cares if he’s cocky that is not part of the criteria

Exactly and all the very top players have a bit of cockiness in their makeup that includes Rory. He's admitted it himself.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]