GolfWRX 2019 Best Drivers Discussion Thread

There's so much personal preference involved in picking the right driver per individual. As some have mentioned. Sound and feel are big for me. At sub 95mph, distance is too close to call, and isn't a factor. I prefer a driver that sets up easily, launches well, and as mentioned, looks and sounds good. This year, I've alternated 3 drivers, that aren't going anywhere.

Titleist 917D3., Bridgestone J715, and surprisingly, the Wilson Cortex.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

> @easyyy said:

> > @rgk5 said:

> > As a fitter for the last 15 years, IMO and experience, the lead horses this year are the Cobra F9, Callaway Epic Flash, and the Ping G410.

>

> Is that the same for all swing speeds? We saw that the speed was a factor for the head choice.

what driver are you gaming now days? Any plans for a updated WITB?

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Thanks for such a great piece. Curious about one thing. Since these all went through fitters, I’m guessing results were based of results after fitting the correct shaft for the tester. But was shaft length taken in to consideration? I ask because one of my best golfing buddies (not me, so not a DIRECT experience) claims the PXG would be one of the longest drivers on the market if its stock shafts were the same length as everyone else (45” vs 45.5”).

I’m hoping this was taken in to consideration, and based on fitter feedback it probably was.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @BagChatters10 said:

> Coming from a 2017 M2, the F9 is by far the best Driver that I have hit in 2019. I have the TL 9.0 with a Smoke 60 6.5. It's not the longest combo ever but attributes of the club makes it seem like I will have it in the bag for the foreseeable future. My index has dropped from 4.6 to 3.2 in the span of 7 months all because I HIT the fairway. The sound and playability have added a lot of confidence off of the tee. I love teeing it low and having it fly 260 on a line but also being able to play a high draw and it NEVER goes "FORE LEFT". Coming from a longtime Taylormade guy, took a risk and have not regretted it.

What is a TL 9.0?

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I have been playing the Flash SZ with the UST V2 7F5 x flex for about a month and it definitely was better for me than the Atmos. I also have an F9 with an Atmos 7X that I love as well. To me, the numbers and on course results fit those drivers best. I have hit the M5 and M6, but didn’t like the feel/look/sound of them at all.

Aerojet LS - Radspeed XB

Aerojet 3w 13.5

One Length LTD 19

23 T200 4 and 5 iron

23 T150 6-P

MG4 50 55 58

Mack Made Custom Wallace

Toulon Atlanta

Extremely surprised I have not seen anyone mention the TS3. I had the best numbers by a decent margin, but only after I dialed it in, like really dialed it in. Like I was playing an old arcade game and knowing the cheat code to beat my opponent. I feel the TS3 needs to be unlocked, but man when you do, it goessssssssssssss - and straight! The next closest was the M5. I am a naturally high spin player with 118mph clubhead speed, played at 44.5". I never owned a Titleist club in my life, and never thought of woods for them. Although, I did hit a fairway wood and hybrid awhile ago and thought they were pretty awesome. The surefit hosel is the best in the business. What you set it to is exactly what it does. In the past I did not feel that away about other companies' hosels.

I have hit or owned all the top drivers this year. I presently own a Custom Epic Flash sub zero, M5 and a Ping LST g410. The Ping I've only owned 3 weeks and it's my favorite by far.

* The Callaway when you connect is the longest. It just flat out goes, but the head shape throws me off and the dispersion is the worst for me.

* The M5 feels amazing, and sounds amazing and looks amazing, but it's the shortest of them all. Injection face is a farce for ball speed, as it falls behind all the top drivers in both my testing and from one of my friends who runs the local Club Champion in all his fittings. Callaway is king with Cobra F9 being close second and Ping LST is making a strong contender now that it's out. The M5 seems to really require very high swing speed to get the most out of it, which most amateurs do not have.

* Ping G410 LST, is the gamer. I sold my 400 LST after one range session and now 3 weeks later I'm still totally in love with this club. It's straight, it's beautiful, its hot face makes the ball go. I can hit it high or low and the dispersion even with the stock CK Orange rivals my M5 with Speeder Tour spec, surprisingly. Anti Left also, which is nice.

* Cobra F9, felt great, but I couldn't stand the look. Ball speed was on par with Ping and Callaway, but I couldn't get comfortable with it.

It has been the best year in recent memory for Drivers and fairway woods.

********The one guy that mentioned the 2016 M2 being faster off the face and straighter than the M5/M6 is correct. The 2016 M2 was the best TM driver since the 510TP, which is still a great driver.

Callaway Paradym Std 10.5 set to 9.5 with VA Vylyn 65x
Callaway Paradym TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway Paradym TD 5 wood, Accra 2.0

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-GW MMT 105TX
Callaway Jaws Raw '21, 54, 58 xGrind Black Modus 120 S

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice 5.5 

> @launcher said:

> There's so much personal preference involved in picking the right driver per individual. As some have mentioned. Sound and feel are big for me. At sub 95mph, distance is too close to call, and isn't a factor. I prefer a driver that sets up easily, launches well, and as mentioned, looks and sounds good. This year, I've alternated 3 drivers, that aren't going anywhere.

>

> Titleist 917D3., Bridgestone J715, and surprisingly, the Wilson Cortex.

Anything Bridgestone is highly underrated! Huge fan of their products. Have owned at least 8 sets of their irons, multiple wedges, fairway woods, hybrids and Drivers, and I play their golf balls.

Callaway Paradym Std 10.5 set to 9.5 with VA Vylyn 65x
Callaway Paradym TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway Paradym TD 5 wood, Accra 2.0

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-GW MMT 105TX
Callaway Jaws Raw '21, 54, 58 xGrind Black Modus 120 S

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice 5.5 

As someone who regularly fits players of all levels. I would say the test is almost exactly how I would have lined it out. The Flash is an amazing set of drivers. Hence, I have one in my bag.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @Padreruf said:

> 2 years ago I bought a M2 -- fitted and everything. Cannot hit it as straight or as long as my 2007 Taylor-made Burner Draw. Swing speed is 95 -- my pro said the M2 took too much spin off my ball...I needed a head to put more spin on to keep it elevated longer. **Which of these recent drivers will accomplish that? Or is that from the shaft more than the head? ** BTW, from my research the Burner is longer due to a slightly higher COR -- .83 I believe....was lowered to .80 later by the USGA but this club was grandfathered in. I love it when I hit it 10-20 yards past my playing partner who is 6 years younger and taller, etc. He bought a Epic Flash Sub Zero and I still taken him down...and straight!!!

That's strange b/c he M2 is not a traditional low spinning driver. What loft/shaft combo w/ the M2?

G425 LST 

G425 Max 14.5* 

G425 19* Hybrid 

TM P7MC 4-PW

RTX Zipcore 50*/54*/58*

PING Sigma2 Anser

I too am a bit surprised by the lack of the TS3. I’ve been testing drivers for the past few months and the TS3 with Hazardous Smoke S keeps coming in at the top position.

Only reason I don’t pull the trigger is that the gains aren’t significant enough to warrant the price.

Currently gaming the 2017 Epic SC with Stiff shaft.

105-107 SS.

I was surprised the ST190 didn't do better. I was hitting a Ping G30 LST just fine, just didn't like the sound it makes. When I watched the Keith Mitchell ST190 video, I was mostly intrigued by the sound the ST190 made -- especially compared to the ST180! Took one off the rack at the pro shop and it just fit my eye -- that nice open-ish look. Picked one up and couldn't be happier! This thing is long and straight no matter where I hit it on the face and the sound is amazing!! Could I do better? Maybe. But how much better am I really going to do given I'm playing in a once-a-week league and an occasional other round. I paid $46 (plus some trade stuff) for a minty used one and it's staying in the bag for the foreseeable future.

10.5* TI Cally Rogue ST TD S GD AD DI-6(x)
15* TI Cally Epic Speed GD AD IZ-7(x)

18* TI Cally Rogue ST  Matrix Code-7 (s) or 8M2 (x)

24* Cally 2014 Apex UT Matrix Altus (s)
5-PW Cally Apex Pro 19 Double Dot Raw Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)

50* Cleveland RTX Black Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)
54*/10 Cleveland RTX Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
58*/9 Cleveland RTX Full Face Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
34" Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 * 35" Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

35"Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH * 35" Odyssey Works 7 CH (Schauffele treatment by Continental Golf)

my epic flash beat all contenders, even my tour issue M3 that i had. doesn't matter what shaft goes in it -- it goes for days. i converted 2 of my friends who had M5's to go to EFSZ's.

horses for courses but, callaway put out some winners this year.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I have an issue with the breakdown of swing speed. Pretty fine split over 95 mph but lumping 70-75 mph with 94 mph is not realistic. There is no way that a club that works well for a person in the low 90s will work similarly well for a person with a swing speed 70+ MPH or even slower. I've played with some oldsters and definitely some women that I doubt could break 70 mph. I know that there are a lot of days I can't break 80 and probably are in the low 70s most of the time. I mean when you average 135 with a longest of 150, I doubt if one is breaking 80 mph. Certainly the club head that I should be using probably isn't one that will react well with a 90+ swinger.

And I can guarantee that the recommendations of accuracy probably don't apply. I am averaging between 12.5 and 13 fairways hit per round and usually the ones missed are just in the first cut most of the time. Once in a while, I'll pull hook one into the water or deep slice it to the other side (two way miss) but not often). But lack of distance puts an extreme pressure on the long woods and short game. Even on 300 yard par-4s I can't reach them in two and must use a 3 wood on my second shot and still have 60-100 yards left, putting pressure on my short game.

I've found that having the correct shaft to fit my swing has made way way more difference than the particular head and club. The shaft bend/flex characteristics that I've ended up with really help me with mishits to keep them in play. And not hitting it very far, means that even if i don't hit it straight, I'm not far enough to be in any real trouble. Just lots of 3 woods to recover. I just plan on 3 shots to every hole at least and play it for recovery shots around the green.

As someone else noted, it would really be nice to compare in a table, the differences between these clubs from 2018 to 2019 and even more from 2017-2019 showing all three years. I'd bet that there is not much difference at all in the under 95 range with most of the differences if any in the over 110 range. I doubt if they are worth the extra money for the small if any differences in the two years. I can remember back when I finally switched from Persimmon to metal head. It wasn't for distance but for accuracy. I kept more drives in the short grass with the metal head but lost overall distance by 20+ yards, but getting more than 80% in the fairway drastically improved my scores. And other than more accuracy, I doubt if the newer clubs provide that much more distance than 20 years ago really, overall. I know it didn't for me. But it did improve my overall % of fairways hit and that was worth the lost distance. As long as one hit the "screws" (inside the circle of screws in the head really) a good persimmon really really went with a high swing speed.

TS4 is the longest for me but its the least forgiving. TS3 is more forgiving but not as long as the TS4.

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

Still using Ping G400 LST with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 60TX. It is like swinging a a 2x4. Going to be tough to get it out of the bag for a while.

Ping G400 LST 9.5 w/ Rogue 125 TX
Ping G30 13 w/ Tour AD-DI 8x
Ping S55 (3-P) w/ Tour Issue DG x100 +.5
Ping Tour Gorge 52/56/60 w/ DG TI S400
Scotty 009/ Scotty FB+ Circle T
Titleist Pro V1x

> @tekman said:

> * The M5 feels amazing, and sounds amazing and looks amazing, but it's the shortest of them all. Injection face is a farce for ball speed, as it falls behind all the top drivers in both my testing and from one of my friends who runs the local Club Champion in all his fittings. Callaway is king with Cobra F9 being close second and Ping LST is making a strong contender now that it's out. The M5 seems to really require very high swing speed to get the most out of it, which most amateurs do not have.

>

Agree with the M5 comment. Had it for a month and loved the look, sound, and when i was swinging well, it was 10+ longer than the 400 LST. Gave it up for the Epic Flash TD and for me a way better driver. I'm really tempted by the 410 LST but not sure if I want to go down the driver testing rabbit hole again. BTW, i'm in the ~100 mph range.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

> @"The Beav" said:

> My current Epic Flash/AD-IZ combo has changed my tee game from a liability to a weapon. Never thought I'd find a club that gave me such great speed and flight combined with accuracy - I've always had to choose one or the other in the past. Also really enjoyed the TS3 in testing. 100-105 SS.

I echo this. Epic Flash + AD-DI for me has been a game changer. Driver is an absolute weapon now