Garmin Approach G80

> @sma said:

> > @ObiwanForAll said:

> > Anyone have any tricks to make this more accurate indoors? I hit into a net in my garage and it drastically measures low on everything.

>

> did you come up with anything? i was planning to use this in the basement during the winter...

I think there might be a problem with your unit, im getting accurate numbers indoor and outdoors......im using GC for indoor readings and Trackman for outdoor readings.....Dont worry about distance numbers, they are not accurate but the swing speed and ball speed should be spot on.

Carry distance numbers, using the radar function, are only accurate to +/- 5 yards. The ball speed and club head speed numbers, I have found, are accurate to +/- 2 mph. I referenced it to a trackman and those numbers are very very close. The distance function is an algorithm Garmin programmed to "guess" based on the ball and club head speeds. Its nice to have but if you put a lot of weight on the distance then you will be disappointed. If you know your normal club head speed and you do whatever to try and increase it you will be very happy with the device.

A couple of months ago I had a G80 unit that randomly shut down, which I had replaced. My replacement unit with firmware 2.60 didn't shut down but randomly displayed 'Continue/Exit' when using the warm-up. This happened quite often and meant I had to keep pressing 'Continue' to carry on with the session. I then tried the beta software again, which as well as the 'Continue/Exit' issue, also reintroduced the shutdowns on the new unit! I did subsequently find that moving it off the range mat minimised the shut downs so it may have been vibration related. I emailed Luke from Garmin but got no response. I didn't get another replacement either as it was better than the previous unit and appeared to be related to the beta software.

Anyway, today at the range the firmware updated to 2.70 so there is no longer beta software on it. The good news is there were no shutdowns, less good is that it still has 'Continue/Exit' randomly display when using the warm-up. It's the work of a second or two to reset it so I'm not too bothered and apart from this minor issue I find it a great device. I wondered however if anyone else has found this behavior on their G80 and if there is anything that can be done to stop it?

@Kennybg, I'm still using firmware v2.61; my unit also has 'Continue/Exit' randomly displayed when using the Warm-up option, but I've had no problem with random shutdowns.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

HiTrajLoSpin: Thanks for confirming that I'm not the only one seeing 'Continue/Exit' randomly displayed. There is no pattern to it. It's a bit odd but only a minor inconvenience. The random shutdowns I'm hoping were connected to the beta software and are now (hopefully!) no longer a problem.

Sma: I was hitting off mats so no grass/dirt.

> @Jimmy2balls said:

> I’ve noticed mine doing it too. However it only seems to happen when I pick it up.

I went to the range today and unlike the last session, the only time 'Continue/Exit' appeared was when I picked it up at the end. It was colder today so maybe temperature is an issue. It's a quirk but not one one I'm going to worry about.

The main benefit is it really helps with distances which are on the whole pretty accurate. I hit the 100 yard flag with a wedge today and the unit displayed 98 yards. It is also very easy to use. I can set it down and then not touch it again (subject to 'Continue/Exit' not appearing!). The tempo and club/ball speed figures are also very useful to know, which display at the same time as distance.

> @pilot25 said:

> How are you guys storing this for the winter? Battery depleted, full battery, half battery?

I'm going to hit balls in the basement using it as a sim.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Red 6s

G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus TR Red 8s 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

> @pilot25 said:

> How are you guys storing this for the winter? Battery depleted, full battery, half battery?

Not storing, because I play during the winter, although not as much as other seasons.

Titleist ProV1x

> @pilot25 said:

> Great for you guys. Anyone have a suggestion for storing the device long term? I emailed Garmin to no avail. 2 responses that were clearly not from someone who speaks English because I received links to the manual which doesn't address the question.

P25 ... I plan to fully charge mine while it sits in hibernation for a few months until I head back to Palm Springs in January. I've always fully charged & stored all of my electronics (golf watch, fishing, hunting, cameras/recorders etc.) never had an issue. It most likely would be a good idea to check your G80 after 3 months to see if the battery strength has decreased. If you find more info on the topic look forward to an update.

Tks

David

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

I've been really enjoying my G80 and it's GPS accuracy continues to amaze me. Today was a back nine start, after warming up at the practice green I turned the unit on and walked over to #10 T-Box, it's only 100-125 feet away from the #1 T-Box, the unit started up after a couple seconds and it opened up on the 10th hole. My Garmin S5 watch can't determine the correct t-box it always opens up on Hole #1 and you have to fiddle with it to get to #10.

As well, I'm enjoying the "Score Card" feature, I no longer pick-up a score card in the Pro-shop and don't have to look for a pencil, end the round and save the score and Garmin Connect keeps track of all your data, if you forget to confirm an individual hole score or putts, you can easily amend the final score card on your P.C. Since early May I've recorded 33 rounds and had 2 - 74's, hoping to break par before they close our course (Central Alberta) in late October.

Cheers

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

> @Zip-in-Z said:

> > @pilot25 said:

> > Great for you guys. Anyone have a suggestion for storing the device long term? I emailed Garmin to no avail. 2 responses that were clearly not from someone who speaks English because I received links to the manual which doesn't address the question.

>

> P25 ... I plan to fully charge mine while it sits in hibernation for a few months until I head back to Palm Springs in January. I've always fully charged & stored all of my electronics (golf watch, fishing, hunting, cameras/recorders etc.) never had an issue. It most likely would be a good idea to check your G80 after 3 months to see if the battery strength has decreased. If you find more info on the topic look forward to an update.

>

> Tks

>

> David

Digging through manuals of other devices' suggestions on storing a battery long term, I came across this study. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

I'm almost positive the G80 has a lithium ion battery. Therefore, I'll probably use it to about 50% then put it on the shelf for the winter. I think I'm going to set a couple Google Calendar alerts each month to remind me to check it. Its far too expensive for me to be dismissive of its care.

> @pilot25 said:

> > @Zip-in-Z said:

> > > @pilot25 said:

> > > Great for you guys. Anyone have a suggestion for storing the device long term? I emailed Garmin to no avail. 2 responses that were clearly not from someone who speaks English because I received links to the manual which doesn't address the question.

> >

> > P25 ... I plan to fully charge mine while it sits in hibernation for a few months until I head back to Palm Springs in January. I've always fully charged & stored all of my electronics (golf watch, fishing, hunting, cameras/recorders etc.) never had an issue. It most likely would be a good idea to check your G80 after 3 months to see if the battery strength has decreased. If you find more info on the topic look forward to an update.

> >

> > Tks

> >

> > David

>

> Digging through manuals of other devices' suggestions on storing a battery long term, I came across this study. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

>

> I'm almost positive the G80 has a lithium ion battery. Therefore, I'll probably use it to about 50% then put it on the shelf for the winter. I think I'm going to set a couple Google Calendar alerts each month to remind me to check it. Its far too expensive for me to be dismissive of its care.

Yes. It does have a lithuim-ion battery. Although it's probably not necessary, if you do decide to make the effort to check the battery each month, it couldn't hurt if, at the same time, you charged it and ran it back down to 50% before putting it back into storage.

FYI, I noticed that two of the (many) features/fixes in software update 2.70 are "Added display of round distance traveled to Scorecard and Round Summary pages" and "Improved device operation to reduce likelihood of showing message for disabling of radar functions due to high device temperature".

Titleist ProV1x

• 4 weeks later...

Last Friday, I came home from playing 18 and decided to do a load of laundry. When I removed my clothes from the washer, I was horrified to find that I hadn't removed my G80 from my pants pocket prior to washing them. To my relief, it turned on right away, connected to my PC via USB and worked perfectly when I played again on Sunday. It was nice to see that the Approach 80 is definitely waterproof (as well as "spin cycle proof") and that I didn't make a $500 mistake when I inadvertently threw it into the washing machine with the laundry.

• Like 2

> @Stuart_G said:

> (Quote)

>

>

> [word unscrambler](word unscrambler "word unscrambler")

>

> More likely measuring [jumble solver](jumble solver "jumble solver") both club head speed and ball speed - similar to the SC100.

> [auto clicker](auto clicker "auto clicker")

>

> (Quote)

Wow. This has potential. Exactly why I waited on buying the G8

> @"Bill Broderick" said:

> Last Friday, I came home from playing 18 and decided to do a load of laundry. When I removed my clothes from the washer, I was horrified to find that I hadn't removed my G80 from my pants pocket prior to washing them. To my relief, it turned on right away, connected to my PC via USB and worked perfectly when I played again on Sunday. It was nice to see that the Approach 80 is definitely waterproof (as well as "spin cycle proof") and that I didn't make a $500 mistake when I inadvertently threw it into the washing machine with the laundry.

yikesssss

I book marked this thread and always follow-up to read the comments from other members with interest. Not sure I would want to try the washing machine spin cycle test that Bill B's unit went through, pleased to read it survived.

I purchased my unit when I was hiding in Palm Springs last winter, got it on Feb 15th and started posting my findings/experience for others to read, can't be happier with the unit, it's met or exceeded all my expectations and I feel it's definitely helped my game and improved my score.

With all the changes in technology, I was wondering what Garmin plan to do for their next release an upgrade or most likely a new G80 something.

Haven't read or heard what they may do, anyone here have any insight?

Cheers

David

Ping DLX Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had a unit for practice for a few months and found the numbers to be have close to GC2 and Trackman, really surprised that MGS rated it the least accurate portable launch monitor out there and ease of use was only third place ???? Ive currently moved over to Rapsodo which I find more useful because it actual stores all my swings in addition to the launch angle and ball speed and swing speed. G80 is a great unit, im pretty sure they have a better unit in prototype testing already, hopefully accurate ball spin and launch angle will be next, oh and not overheating as quickly would be great !

• 2 weeks later...

I have some money I could burn on golf stuff and since I'm fairly set with my bag, was wondering if I should invest in the Garmin G80. My thought would be to use this for practice at my house hitting into a net. Can anybody officially comment if the data would be accurate hitting into a net?

Edit: After going further back in the thread I see that it does! I will probably pick one up this weekend and report back on how well it works hitting into a net over the winter!

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

What devices are you referring too?

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized