Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

I'm so intrigued by the OL idea that I am eye-balling a set of F8s on the bay for less than $300 brand new. They're 5-GW.

My question is, how should I gap my set from there? With the lofts, it looks like that 5-iron is essentially a 4 iron... at the moment, my 3-wood is at 16.5 degrees, so do I pick up a Cobra 3 or 4 hybrid to go with them? I am also interested in the Utility Irons Cobra makes.

You can also get the Forged Tour One's for about $399. Would that be a better option for a guy who has been in love with his S-55s for a few years now?

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

> @wrm2120 said:

> I'm so intrigued by the OL idea that I am eye-balling a set of F8s on the bay for less than $300 brand new. They're 5-GW.

>

> My question is, how should I gap my set from there? With the lofts, it looks like that 5-iron is essentially a 4 iron... at the moment, my 3-wood is at 16.5 degrees, so do I pick up a Cobra 3 or 4 hybrid to go with them? I am also interested in the Utility Irons Cobra makes.

>

> You can also get the Forged Tour One's for about $399. Would that be a better option for a guy who has been in love with his S-55s for a few years now?

I have no experience with how the F8's play, so I cannot really address your gapping question. Before I got my Edel irons, the Forged Tour One was the iron I wanted. I just could not find any place to do a green grass fitting/demo to try them out. I hit them in the simulator and they felt good, sounded good, etc. I'd spend the extra $100 and get the forged.

> @wrm2120 said:

> I'm so intrigued by the OL idea that I am eye-balling a set of F8s on the bay for less than $300 brand new. They're 5-GW.

>

> My question is, how should I gap my set from there? With the lofts, it looks like that 5-iron is essentially a 4 iron... at the moment, my 3-wood is at 16.5 degrees, so do I pick up a Cobra 3 or 4 hybrid to go with them? I am also interested in the Utility Irons Cobra makes.

>

> You can also get the Forged Tour One's for about $399. Would that be a better option for a guy who has been in love with his S-55s for a few years now?

Don’t get thrown off by the lofts. The 5-iron will fly like a 5-iron irrespective of the loft. You’ll probably want some sort of 4-hybrid and a 5-wood. But you really need to try them out and see.

> @MountainGoat said:

> Don’t get thrown off by the lofts. The 5-iron will fly like a 5-iron irrespective of the loft. You’ll probably want some sort of 4-hybrid and a 5-wood. But you really need to try them out and see.

That sounds familiar. I have a Kasco K2K 33 and 44 at the top of the bag. The 44 plays like a 3/4 iron and the 33 is like a 2 iron. Yeah, I know they are relics...but they work.

After doing the full Mizuno fitting and purchasing the 919 forged, I'm having sellers remorse on the Cobra ftb ones. I had to sell them to buy the mizunos, but really regretting it now. I think I'm going to buy some Cobra forged ones. The blacks felt softer to me and i struggle for consistent distance with the mizuno 9, pw, and gw. But i will say, the Mizuno long irons are a ton easier to hit than the one length long irons.

> @Aucaveman said:

> After doing the full Mizuno fitting and purchasing the 919 forged, I'm having sellers remorse on the Cobra ftb ones. I had to sell them to buy the mizunos, but really regretting it now. I think I'm going to buy some Cobra forged ones. The blacks felt softer to me and i struggle for consistent distance with the mizuno 9, pw, and gw. But i will say, the Mizuno long irons are a ton easier to hit than the one length long irons.

welcome back to the club!

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

> @Aucaveman said:

> After doing the full Mizuno fitting and purchasing the 919 forged, I'm having sellers remorse on the Cobra ftb ones. I had to sell them to buy the mizunos, but really regretting it now. I think I'm going to buy some Cobra forged ones. The blacks felt softer to me and i struggle for consistent distance with the mizuno 9, pw, and gw. But i will say, the Mizuno long irons are a ton easier to hit than the one length long irons.

Well i did it. I purchased the original Cobra forged ones. I've never hit them. I hope they're as good as the blacks. I love the offset specs on the originals. I wanted edels, but couldn't dish out that much money. Anybody have any comparisons between the forged ones and blacks?

> @Aucaveman said:

> > @Aucaveman said:

> > After doing the full Mizuno fitting and purchasing the 919 forged, I'm having sellers remorse on the Cobra ftb ones. I had to sell them to buy the mizunos, but really regretting it now. I think I'm going to buy some Cobra forged ones. The blacks felt softer to me and i struggle for consistent distance with the mizuno 9, pw, and gw. But i will say, the Mizuno long irons are a ton easier to hit than the one length long irons.

>

> Well i did it. I purchased the original Cobra forged ones. I've never hit them. I hope they're as good as the blacks. I love the offset specs on the originals. I wanted edels, but couldn't dish out that much money. Anybody have any comparisons between the forged ones and blacks?

I have a set of the original F7s and a couple of scattered forged clubs. For my money, the forged clubs are harder to hit. You’ve got to get them set up right. Finding a shaft, length and SW that works across all lofts is a challenge.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Aucaveman said:

> > > @Aucaveman said:

> > > After doing the full Mizuno fitting and purchasing the 919 forged, I'm having sellers remorse on the Cobra ftb ones. I had to sell them to buy the mizunos, but really regretting it now. I think I'm going to buy some Cobra forged ones. The blacks felt softer to me and i struggle for consistent distance with the mizuno 9, pw, and gw. But i will say, the Mizuno long irons are a ton easier to hit than the one length long irons.

> >

> I have a set of the original F7s and a couple of scattered forged clubs. For my money, the forged clubs are harder to hit. You’ve got to get them set up right. Finding a shaft, length and SW that works across all lofts is a challenge.

The Cobra black forged ones, were as easy to hit as any club I've ever owned. My hc was down to a 5 at one point with the blacks, but with the mizunos it has crept back up. I tested the f7 ones and didn't like them at all. I'm prob in the minority that i loved the pw, gw, and sw one lengths with the blacks, but couldn't hit the 4, 5, or 6 iron to save my life.

> @Aucaveman said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @Aucaveman said:

> > > > @Aucaveman said:

> > > > After doing the full Mizuno fitting and purchasing the 919 forged, I'm having sellers remorse on the Cobra ftb ones. I had to sell them to buy the mizunos, but really regretting it now. I think I'm going to buy some Cobra forged ones. The blacks felt softer to me and i struggle for consistent distance with the mizuno 9, pw, and gw. But i will say, the Mizuno long irons are a ton easier to hit than the one length long irons.

> > >

> > I have a set of the original F7s and a couple of scattered forged clubs. For my money, the forged clubs are harder to hit. You’ve got to get them set up right. Finding a shaft, length and SW that works across all lofts is a challenge.

>

> The Cobra black forged ones, were as easy to hit as any club I've ever owned. My hc was down to a 5 at one point with the blacks, but with the mizunos it has crept back up. I tested the f7 ones and didn't like them at all. I'm prob in the minority that i loved the pw, gw, and sw one lengths with the blacks, but couldn't hit the 4, 5, or 6 iron to save my life.

I'll be interest to hear your assessment of your newly-acquired forged Cobras. When I hear people having trouble with one end of the SL spectrum or the other, I'm tempted to conclude that it's a length/SW problem. Personally, when I played SL clubs at 37", I had all kinds of problems. That was true with two different sets (Sterling and Cobra). When I lengthened the F7s to 37.5" and tweaked the SW with lighter shafts, they played like a dream.

> I'll be interest to hear your assessment of your newly-acquired forged Cobras. When I hear people having trouble with one end of the SL spectrum or the other, I'm tempted to conclude that it's a length/SW problem. Personally, when I played SL clubs at 37", I had all kinds of problems. That was true with two different sets (Sterling and Cobra). When I lengthened the F7s to 37.5" and tweaked the SW with lighter shafts, they played like a dream.

That's interesting. I'm 6'2" and a fairly long hitter. I play a lot but don't practice a lot. I play my vl irons 1 inch over standard. I believe that's why i hit the longer short (scoring) irons better. I tried everything with the 4, 5,and 6 irons and nothing worked. I tried ball placement, swinging harder, swinging easier, steeper and more shallower. Nothing worked all Low hooks. Then i tried ol hybrids. Same thing. I'll prob keep the long iron mizunos in the bag. They're suppose to be here Thursday or Friday and I'll def do a review and let you know.

> @Aucaveman said:

>

> > I'll be interest to hear your assessment of your newly-acquired forged Cobras. When I hear people having trouble with one end of the SL spectrum or the other, I'm tempted to conclude that it's a length/SW problem. Personally, when I played SL clubs at 37", I had all kinds of problems. That was true with two different sets (Sterling and Cobra). When I lengthened the F7s to 37.5" and tweaked the SW with lighter shafts, they played like a dream.

>

> That's interesting. I'm 6'2" and a fairly long hitter. I play a lot but don't practice a lot. I play my vl irons 1 inch over standard. I believe that's why i hit the longer short (scoring) irons better. I tried everything with the 4, 5,and 6 irons and nothing worked. I tried ball placement, swinging harder, swinging easier, steeper and more shallower. Nothing worked all Low hooks. Then i tried ol hybrids. Same thing. I'll prob keep the long iron mizunos in the bag. They're suppose to be here Thursday or Friday and I'll def do a review and let you know.

My experience fitting guys is that 1" over standard is REALLY long unless you play in the NBA. The club just gets way out of balance when it's that long. Heavy shafts (TTDG, etc.) are out of the question. If you put super lightweight shafts on them, you can get the SW down, but the MOI stays high. I'm 6'3" and I play 1/4" over standard. I use TTXL95s and 62g grips to counteract the extra length, and they come in around D1. Longer than that, and they're unplayable.

Im baaacccck!!! Ok mountaingoat, i received my Cobra original forged one lengths today, 5 - gw at 37.5 inches. The reason i bought these were because they had my preferred kbs 120 shafts in them And I would call it a success. I played 16 holes at 2 over. I hit 12 out of 16 holes in reg. I had 2 three putts and 1 water ball with a regular length 56* wedge where i was behind a tree trying to hit a hero shot. I was 11 out of 13 of greens hit with a scoring iron in my hand. I'm using 7 iron through lob wedge as scoring clubs. That's where i was really struggling with the mizunos. I'll play 2 or 3 more times this weekend and will let you know, but so far i love them.

> @Aucaveman said:

> Im baaacccck!!! Ok mountaingoat, i received my Cobra original forged one lengths today, 5 - gw at 37.5 inches. The reason i bought these were because they had my preferred kbs 120 shafts in them And I would call it a success. I played 16 holes at 2 over. I hit 12 out of 16 holes in reg. I had 2 three putts and 1 water ball with a regular length 56* wedge where i was behind a tree trying to hit a hero shot. I was 11 out of 13 of greens hit with a scoring iron in my hand. I'm using 7 iron through lob wedge as scoring clubs. That's where i was really struggling with the mizunos. I'll play 2 or 3 more times this weekend and will let you know, but so far i love them.

Welcome back! Your clubs are the same length as mine, though your shafts are a little heavier. I use TTXP95s. Standard length for these clubs is 37.25", so we're both only 1/4" over standard.

I sort of my miss my sterlings, hit them head to head with the edels and the edels won out for my toe miss, now that is sorted out I kind of miss the sterlings, not sure why, probably my inner ho trying to come back out.........already picked up f8 to play around with but damn ebay just keeps calling me back. What's a ho to do?

905t

eye2 becu

So again, i got them Friday and had the club championship today. Had a little hesitation taking them out, but my confidence is much higher with these than the 919 forged. I shot 74 with a three putt. I didn't make a putt all day. I was the club house leader with the 3 strongest players yet to come in. I'll definitely be in the championship flight tomorrow. Here's hoping tomorrow I'll at least make those short putts i missed today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have located another set of sterlings, the edels have gone to a new owner, took the sterlings to the range with the f8's and for whatever reason the sterlings are like an old friend, should keep me occupied through the winter.

• Like 1

905t

eye2 becu

• 2 weeks later...

Came in the thread since last post a month ago to see what is up in the SL world. Bounce between VL and SL. Can't get the SL wedges to work. So I've gone tri-length. Pinhawk 6-7 @ 37", 8-9 @ 36.5" and Ping Glide 2.0 PW, GW & SW @ 35.5". Played 18 last Tuesday and iron/wedge consistency was there, putting let me down (all year putting has been the weak link). I plan on putting the Ping G20 irons on ebay to force me to stay with this combo for remaining fall golf and into indoor season over winter. A new adventure begins.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

> @CougarRed said:

> I have the F8 Ones 4-GW and really like them.

> I am thinking of adding the regular length F8 in the 4-6 irons for better distance, and keeping the one lengths in the scoring irons from 7-GW.

Mevo tested the variable length F8 5-iron yesterday compared to my one length F8 5-iron. I flew the VL 5-iron eight yards longer. So the VL 5-iron is going in the bag.

Next week, I will test the 6-irons. I expect only a couple of yards difference. If so, I will have a decision to make -- one length consistency vs. gapping.

Haven't been able to find a VL F8 4-iron. The OL F8 4-iron has a much lower peak height than (and only flies 5 yards further than) the VL F8 5-iron, so I will replace the OL F8 4-iron -- with either a VL F8 4-hybrid, VL F8 3-hybrid or VL F8 4-iron (if I can find one). Need to test the hybrids some more to determine which gaps the best.

Keeping the OL 7-iron through Gap Wedge. Same swing with the scoring irons seems a plus, and I believe these clubs fly a shade farther than the VL short irons. At my age, I can use every yard I can get.

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

• 2 weeks later...

Still rocking my Sterlings. Almost bought a 2nd set just cause they were almost the same specs and would have been a perfect set to leave at my folks house, let my kids use, or whatever reason I could come up with.

The Sterlings are a great design... I use VL hybrids (4 & 5) then 6-SW in the Sterlings with a KZG 60* built to match.

I'll never return to VL irons... these babies are stellar.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

The design of the new Cobra Forged Tec Ones with varying lie angles is making me wonder if I should bend my Forged Ones to match the new lie angles. The new design is supposed to promote consistent lie at impact rather than at address (like my older Forged Ones). It would only be a couple degrees max, but it may keep me from buying a new $1000 set, lol.

Anyone ever think of adjusting the older models to be more similar to the new model's specs?

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Mych said:

> The design of the new Cobra Forged Tec Ones with varying lie angles is making me wonder if I should bend my Forged Ones to match the new lie angles. The new design is supposed to promote consistent lie at impact rather than at address (like my older Forged Ones). It would only be a couple degrees max, but it may keep me from buying a new $1000 set, lol.

>

> Anyone ever think of adjusting the older models to be more similar to the new model's specs?

I had the Cobra blacks which also had varying lie angles. Sold them for Mizuno 919s and didn't care for them. I then bought Cobra original forged ones that have constant lie angles. I prefer the original ones over the blacks. The originals have less offset and i prefer that also. Always struggled with hitting the 5 and 6 irons too low and left in the blacks. I have no problem with the originals. It could be the offset or the constant lie angles that i prefer on the originals. Not really sure.

> @Aucaveman said:

> > @Mych said:

> > The design of the new Cobra Forged Tec Ones with varying lie angles is making me wonder if I should bend my Forged Ones to match the new lie angles. The new design is supposed to promote consistent lie at impact rather than at address (like my older Forged Ones). It would only be a couple degrees max, but it may keep me from buying a new $1000 set, lol.

> >

> > Anyone ever think of adjusting the older models to be more similar to the new model's specs?

>

> I had the Cobra blacks which also had varying lie angles. Sold them for Mizuno 919s and didn't care for them. I then bought Cobra original forged ones that have constant lie angles. I prefer the original ones over the blacks. The originals have less offset and i prefer that also. Always struggled with hitting the 5 and 6 irons too low and left in the blacks. I have no problem with the originals. It could be the offset or the constant lie angles that i prefer on the originals. Not really sure.

That's good feedback. The minimal offset is what has kept me from changing. Since the original Forged Ones didn't have a 3i, I added the forged tec black 3i and I like it, but it definitely has a healthy amount of offset. Maybe I'll demo the new ones in the spring and see if I can notice a difference.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I'm still plugging away with my SL set.

200+ rounds over the last couple seasons with my F7 one lengths.

I actually purchased a new LW because I had worked the heck out of it over that time frame.

I don't remember exactly but I believe I started posting in the SL threads as a 4-5 capper for roughly a decade.

I spent a month or so this year at 0.9 first time I had ever had a zero in front of my index. Currently sitting at 1.9

I don't think I will ever go back to a variable length set again. The ease I have in setting up, ball position, practicing with any club etc has just changed my game from 200 yards and in.