Epic flash sub zero fairway = best fairway of 2019????

mcc0819

> @mcc0819 said:

> Guys, I may have found a 3 wood that might actually kick out the epic flash sz out of the bag. Since that “other website” posted their annual best fairway list, one thing that stuck out to me was that they had the Srixon zf85 as the most distance fairway wood. So I went out and hit a demo. Holy sh**. This thing flies. I normally carry 245-250 with epic flash sz. With the zf85, I averaged 256 carry. Only concern was I was over drawing it and sits slightly closer at address. I figured it may be because of the stock HZRDUS red shaft that just wasn’t stable enough for my swing. Being a club hoe, I bought it out of curiosity and put an AD-TP 8x in it. The shaft turned this thing into a mini rocket launcher. Flight has straightened out with an average carry of 261 and dispersion has tightened up compared to the epic flash. Now I may be in the honeymoon phase but I will continue to test it out for the next month and see how it compares to the epic flash sz but so far so good.

I had the Srixon Z F85 with a HZDRUS yellow. It is long. But I fought hooking it. I finally looked for something else. And switched to a 15 degree flash subzero. The Srixon specs are 4 degrees more upright vs the Callaway, l think this is the reason for the lefts for me. But I did like the look and feel of the F85, l actually recommended it to people who don't hook the ball.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @taoslcl said:

> > Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

>

> i bought them thinking of them this way (i have both btw): if you use it off a tee, go SZ, if you hit it off grass, go flash.

Thanks! I'm going to go 5 wood in regular. Sounds like their playability guarantee is legit so if i don't get along with it i can exchange pretty easy.

> @taoslcl said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @taoslcl said:

> > > Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

> >

> > i bought them thinking of them this way (i have both btw): if you use it off a tee, go SZ, if you hit it off grass, go flash.

>

> Thanks! I'm going to go 5 wood in regular. Sounds like their playability guarantee is legit so if i don't get along with it i can exchange pretty easy.

anytime! i love my 5w going into long par 5s (255-265 carry and need it to stop quickly; high and soft)

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @taoslcl said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @taoslcl said:

> > > > Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

> > >

> > > i bought them thinking of them this way (i have both btw): if you use it off a tee, go SZ, if you hit it off grass, go flash.

> >

> > Thanks! I'm going to go 5 wood in regular. Sounds like their playability guarantee is legit so if i don't get along with it i can exchange pretty easy.

>

> anytime! i love my 5w going into long par 5s (255-265 carry and need it to stop quickly; high and soft)

Which would offer the best of both worlds, off the tee and off the deck? I currently have 3w -> TM UDI 2i as my progression. I really like the 2i and mostly use it off the tee but am thinking of going back to a 5w after a lot of years not having one. Back when I had a Nike Ignite 5w I hit it around 245-250, but I'm thinking I am a little longer than that now, so hopefully would be around that 250 club for me and make going for a few more par 5s reasonable.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @taoslcl said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @taoslcl said:

> > > > > Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

> > > >

> > > > i bought them thinking of them this way (i have both btw): if you use it off a tee, go SZ, if you hit it off grass, go flash.

> > >

> > > Thanks! I'm going to go 5 wood in regular. Sounds like their playability guarantee is legit so if i don't get along with it i can exchange pretty easy.

> >

> > anytime! i love my 5w going into long par 5s (255-265 carry and need it to stop quickly; high and soft)

>

> Which would offer the best of both worlds, off the tee and off the deck? I currently have 3w -> TM UDI 2i as my progression. I really like the 2i and mostly use it off the tee but am thinking of going back to a 5w after a lot of years not having one. Back when I had a Nike Ignite 5w I hit it around 245-250, but I'm thinking I am a little longer than that now, so hopefully would be around that 250 club for me and make going for a few more par 5s reasonable.

you could get the SZ with a mid to high launch shaft - for instance, an SZ with a graphite design IZ would be a great club.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @taoslcl said:

> > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > @taoslcl said:

> > > > > > Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

> > > > >

> > > > > i bought them thinking of them this way (i have both btw): if you use it off a tee, go SZ, if you hit it off grass, go flash.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks! I'm going to go 5 wood in regular. Sounds like their playability guarantee is legit so if i don't get along with it i can exchange pretty easy.

> > >

> > > anytime! i love my 5w going into long par 5s (255-265 carry and need it to stop quickly; high and soft)

> >

> > Which would offer the best of both worlds, off the tee and off the deck? I currently have 3w -> TM UDI 2i as my progression. I really like the 2i and mostly use it off the tee but am thinking of going back to a 5w after a lot of years not having one. Back when I had a Nike Ignite 5w I hit it around 245-250, but I'm thinking I am a little longer than that now, so hopefully would be around that 250 club for me and make going for a few more par 5s reasonable.

>

> you could get the SZ with a mid to high launch shaft - for instance, an SZ with a graphite design IZ would be a great club.

My 3w is the more recent TM M2 Tour 15*, with the Kuro Kage TiNi 70g shaft. I like the launch and spin I get with that. I see on preowned right now there's one with HZRDUS yellow 6.5 63g, othewise just the HZRDUS Smoke 70/80 versions in 6.5 or Tensei AV Blue 75.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @ddetts said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @taoslcl said:

> > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > @taoslcl said:

> > > > > > > Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > i bought them thinking of them this way (i have both btw): if you use it off a tee, go SZ, if you hit it off grass, go flash.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thanks! I'm going to go 5 wood in regular. Sounds like their playability guarantee is legit so if i don't get along with it i can exchange pretty easy.

> > > >

> > > > anytime! i love my 5w going into long par 5s (255-265 carry and need it to stop quickly; high and soft)

> > >

> > > Which would offer the best of both worlds, off the tee and off the deck? I currently have 3w -> TM UDI 2i as my progression. I really like the 2i and mostly use it off the tee but am thinking of going back to a 5w after a lot of years not having one. Back when I had a Nike Ignite 5w I hit it around 245-250, but I'm thinking I am a little longer than that now, so hopefully would be around that 250 club for me and make going for a few more par 5s reasonable.

> >

> > you could get the SZ with a mid to high launch shaft - for instance, an SZ with a graphite design IZ would be a great club.

>

> My 3w is the more recent TM M2 Tour 15*, with the Kuro Kage TiNi 70g shaft. I like the launch and spin I get with that. I see on preowned right now there's one with HZRDUS yellow 6.5 63g, othewise just the HZRDUS Smoke 70/80 versions in 6.5 or Tensei AV Blue 75.

you could go with the av blue if those were the choices

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @taoslcl said:

> Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

I am around 110 mph swing speed with driver and have the flash sub zero 15 degree w/ a GD tour AD TP 7x shaft, and absolutely love this club. If you are worried about launch from the deck, don’t be. Obviously I haven’t seem you swing and don’t know your game, but for me this club is very versatile for me. I’m able to get plenty of height from fairway or rough if i need to go at a green on par 5. Prior to getting this I wouldn’t exactly have considered hitting 3 wood off the deck a strong suit in my game but that has changed. Just my experience and hope it helps.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

If you were trying to make a 4 wood out of these what direction would you go...buy a 5 and adjust stronger or a 3 and adjust weaker (did I get that right)? I'm thinking I want something in the 16-17 deg range. I have a 19 deg hybrid currently but don't use it much as it's been a hook machine this year. This will be my only fairway so want to hit off deck and off tee. I would say I'm looking for consistency over distance.

The SZ launches it off the ground. No issues at all from the turf. One of the easiest I’ve ever had yet the ball flight is very penetrating.

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @JDCON said:

> I'm going to buy a new 3-wood for my dad. His SS is starting to slow down and he needs regular flex. Would the SZ or regular Epic Flash be better for a senior in his situation? He needs a little help getting it into the air.

go with the regular version

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

If any of you are looking for heavier-weighted shafts that still have launch without overspinning, don't overlook the MJ7 and MJ8 from Tour AD - the Tour AD MJ8X is a spectacular fairway shaft that can roll out off the tee and land soft off the turf. Really a unicorn shaft.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Anybody know when the Callaway Pre-owned Anniversary sale ends?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 3 weeks later...

> @RH82 said:

> Anyone increase the loft by 1* or 2* in a 15* to make it a 4 wood? Not sure if this would close the face with the bottom cog in standard.

I play my EFSZ 3 wood at +2, sits square to my eye. Launch is noticeably higher as well which I needed. Also play with the heavier weight back.

10° Titleist TSI2 x Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

17.5° PING G410 x Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

22° PXG 0317X Gen 2 Hybrid x Mitsubishi MMT 80S

Srixon z545 3 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z585 5 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z785 6-PW x Nippon Modus 120S

Wedges: Titleist SM8 50*12F, 54*12D, 58*8M

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Brandon Double Bend

IG: @matt.golfs

> @wdaig1 said:

> Anyone buy the Epic Flash 3 Hybrid? I was curious if that plays as well as the Driver and 3 wood.

I would be interested also. I picked up a demo in the hitting bay when I was looking at hybrids and was killing it compared to some others, and it felt and looked great. But I was somewhat taken aback that it retails for $300. I tried to look up some reviews and didn't find much.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @RH82 said:

> Anyone increase the loft by 1* or 2* in a 15* to make it a 4 wood? Not sure if this would close the face with the bottom cog in standard.

Yes, I did, no change directionally or visually, but certainly did impact launch. Adjustment for loft seems really well engineered. I have the standard flash 3 wood - such a good club from tee or grass, really long.

Ping G400 SFT 10 deg
Callaway Epic Flash 15 deg
Srixon H65 22 deg
Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 4-PW (Nippon 950 GH)
Hogan TK Wedges 49/53/57
Ping Zing

> @Mike_C said:

> > @wdaig1 said:

> > Anyone buy the Epic Flash 3 Hybrid? I was curious if that plays as well as the Driver and 3 wood.

>

> I would be interested also. I picked up a demo in the hitting bay when I was looking at hybrids and was killing it compared to some others, and it felt and looked great. But I was somewhat taken aback that it retails for $300. I tried to look up some reviews and didn't find much.

Haven't bought it (prefer ts3 hybrid) but I've hit it a decent amount. It's easily the longest hybrid I've hit. It's a good 8-10 yards longer than any other hybrid on offer. I like the look of it, but it's bigger than what I prefer in a hybrid.

How much improvement or comparison between the Epic Flash and Sub vs the original Epic fairway line?

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

How is it that in a world where they have maxed out ball speeds from the face, that one club is consistently 10 yards longer than all the rest?

Titleist TSR2 10* Ventus Black 6X
Ping 430 LST 15* Ventus Black 7X

Ping G430 Max 5w ADIZ 8X 
Titleist U500 4 DG TI X100
Titleist T100 5-Pw DG TI S400
Titleist SM9 Raw 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04T DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X7
WITB

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...