2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Manual de la Torre Method

upanddown

>

> Manny asked some student to form their grip while standing behind the ball, then put the club head down behind the ball and swing without delay. I was never comfortable doing that. I always finalized my grip after putting the club behind the ball, but I have never experienced what you describe.

>

> Steve

Thanks again Steve, we are lucky to have you here and man, you are a lucky one to have shared many hours working with Manuel.

Interesting thought, I recorded myself swinging a 6iron and it really doesnt look much different than before. The flight, contact, and trajectory are much improved but in reality, the swing looks almost the same. So is this all just a mental thought? We are all just trying to figure out a sequence to tell our brains how to swing the club? In our case hands then arms, other people say start with kneethen hips then chest or whatever.... but result looks the same kind of. Looking at Angel De La Torre sequence got me thinking about it.... he was obviously a great example of arm swing (or hands swing) along with Ernest Jones.... but can we tell from the pictures? Is it obvious? Look at his lower body, is it responding to hands/arm motion?

krstuzdf0e0d.jpeg

I've been trying to implement the MDLT method all summer. Struggling to get the feeling of swinging with arms and letting the body react - but may have come across a drill that works for me (thanks to Shawn Clement).

His drill is this:

1) Hit 4 balls with your feet together - definately promotes an arm swing where the body reacts to stay in balance.

2) Then hit 4 balls using the flamingo stance (setup normal, then drop the right foot back and on its toe (for righthanders) - promotes an inside to square swing again using arms with body reaction.

3) Then hit 4 balls with your regular setup and swing.

I've been doing this drill for the last week and half with great results. As as 11 handicap, I shot a 79 at a tournament today and won my flight (would've been even lower if not for a brain fart where on one green I 4 putted from about 20 feet....)

4) Rinse and repeat steps 1 through 3.

The whole feeling of swing to the target with my arms has clicked in for me as a result of the drills above. Maybe they might work for you too!

• Like 1

It has been several years since I took my lessons with Manuel. I believe that the intention of swinging the entire club with both arms to be the most elusive intention to capture. I was curious if JustSteve has a thought on what he does/thinks, etc. to execute this concept. If done correctly, for me, it is if my body is completely still and the club whips past it. After all these years, still, a very unusual sensation as I tend to initiate the forward swing with my shoulders to my detriment. A big no, no and as Manny notes in his book is a big reason for pulling shots.

Pearl:

I'm reluctant to respond to you for fear of doing more harm than good. Manny never taught in terms of how something felt, believing that he could never know how the proper motion would feel to someone else. Therefore I can't tell you how Manny said the proper action would feel. I'm sort of on my own here so take what I say with an appropriate amount of salt.

The problem seems to be what feels can you employ to delay the response of the shoulders until it is truly a response. I will suggest two:

1. Some of the Ernest Jones teachers I know or know of talk in terms of the hands working away from the trail shoulder at the change of direction. If you set up facing a mirror, swing the club to the end of the back swing, and then focus on moving the club away from your trail shoulder I think you will see that the club moves quite a long way while the shoulders remain turned. That will get the club moving down from the inside and leading he shoulders.

2. Jack Nicklaus said he wanted the buttons on the front of his shirt to point behind the ball as it was struck. A feeling to slow down the opening of the shoulders and probably hard to achieve if the shoulders go first.

3. As for me and since you asked, my feeling is very much one of swinging the club away from my target and then toward my target, PAST OR AWAY FROM MY BODY in both directions. I'm convinced that only my arms can swing the club back through the ball but I am not focused on what my arms do. I am focused on the motion of the club.

Hope this helps.

Steve

My take on the swing the whole club with your arms deal....

Don’t get too hung up on it. It’s not meant to be supernatural. Probably just the opposite.

I take Manuel’s instruction to mean: don’t try to swing with your body. No weight shift, big muscles or rotational intent is needed. And no intervention with the hands. No motorcycle move, pulling down, or dragging the hands needed.

From my experience, having the “intent” to swing like this is not the same as actually swinging correctly. It takes a lot to change your swing pattern. There was a video earlier in the thread with the cup drill. That dude was convinced he was doing the right thing until Manny put the cup there and told him not to hit it.

I think it’s probably more important to focus on the club than the feel of swinging with your arms. The intent seems to help me perform better on the course, but it didn’t help me stop casting or scooping. I probably also need a cup.

• Like 1

Just sharing for the group. I found these video's valuable in reading and understanding the book. The MDLT approach makes so much sense to me, sucks I didn't learn of him soon enough to actually get a lesson being in chicago...

irons-Rogue ST pro 4-G, Nippon 130x

driver-Rogue ST Max LS, Fuji F1 X

wedges-Cleveland OG

putter - SC Phantom x8

I had a conversation with Manny quite a few years ago about how what he taught differed from Ernest Jones. On the basis of that conversation I concluded that the differences were mostly semantic.

I asked him quite specifically why he wanted people to swing the whole club forward, not just the club head. He gave me two reasons. First he said that it was impossible to swing just the club head. If the club head is in facts swinging then the shaft and grip are swinging as well, the whole club is swinging. He said to swing the whole club to be accurate. Second, he said he taught swinging the whole club to discourage the tendency to scoop at the ball with leverage through impact. Everything moving in the same direction at the same time. He recognized that Ernest Jones covered the same thing by emphasizing that the hands were passive in the swing.

As for swinging the club forward with the arms and not the hands he again said this was a matter of being accurate. He said, I think correctly, that the hands alone can't even swing themselves much less the club. Only the arms could make the hands swing and the hands just hold the club. Therefore swing the club forward with the arms, not the hands that can't do the job.

This was the closest Manny ever came to criticizing Ernest Jones and it was the mildest form of criticism.

Steve

• Like 1

@juststeve You are a reincarnation of Manny's writing and the videos from what I can see, thank you very much for sharing all that with us here :) . As I was reading Manny's book over the last few weeks and absorbing all the videos and reading this thread from the beginning, it really brings it all together and your comments espouse consistently what Manny says in the videos and in the book. There really isn't much left to interpretation and it is very specific.

irons-Rogue ST pro 4-G, Nippon 130x

driver-Rogue ST Max LS, Fuji F1 X

wedges-Cleveland OG

putter - SC Phantom x8

> @juststeve said:

> Pearl:

>

> I'm reluctant to respond to you for fear of doing more harm than good. Manny never taught in terms of how something felt, believing that he could never know how the proper motion would feel to someone else. Therefore I can't tell you how Manny said the proper action would feel. I'm sort of on my own here so take what I say with an appropriate amount of salt.

>

> The problem seems to be what feels can you employ to delay the response of the shoulders until it is truly a response. I will suggest two:

>

> 1. Some of the Ernest Jones teachers I know or know of talk in terms of the hands working away from the trail shoulder at the change of direction. If you set up facing a mirror, swing the club to the end of the back swing, and then focus on moving the club away from your trail shoulder I think you will see that the club moves quite a long way while the shoulders remain turned. That will get the club moving down from the inside and leading he shoulders.

>

> 2. Jack Nicklaus said he wanted the buttons on the front of his shirt to point behind the ball as it was struck. A feeling to slow down the opening of the shoulders and probably hard to achieve if the shoulders go first.

>

> 3. As for me and since you asked, my feeling is very much one of swinging the club away from my target and then toward my target, PAST OR AWAY FROM MY BODY in both directions. I'm convinced that only my arms can swing the club back through the ball but I am not focused on what my arms do. I am focused on the motion of the club.

>

> Hope this helps.

>

> Steve

This video is from a totally different swing methodology (Jim Venetos) but I find the drill he talks about to be useful when implementing the MDLT method.

I believe it works on exactly what you mention in your post Steve. I like to do this drill in the morning without a ball (in my living room) to get a feeling of the arms starting the swing without the shoulder (which in a real speed swing will just react to the movement of the arms). Great drill IMHO.

> @juststeve said:

> Manny had a similar drill but it had nothing to do with keeping the shoulders closed. Just swing the club back with the hands then slowly and precisely return the whole club to the address position with the arms. Repeat until you felt like you were going to die.

>

> Steve

Yes...that’s the other drill I do in my living room every morning.

Also an excellent drill.

We’re there any drills Manny had you do or recommended?

> @juststeve said:

> Pearl:

>

> I'm reluctant to respond to you for fear of doing more harm than good. Manny never taught in terms of how something felt, believing that he could never know how the proper motion would feel to someone else. Therefore I can't tell you how Manny said the proper action would feel. I'm sort of on my own here so take what I say with an appropriate amount of salt.

>

> The problem seems to be what feels can you employ to delay the response of the shoulders until it is truly a response. I will suggest two:

>

> 1. Some of the Ernest Jones teachers I know or know of talk in terms of the hands working away from the trail shoulder at the change of direction. If you set up facing a mirror, swing the club to the end of the back swing, and then focus on moving the club away from your trail shoulder I think you will see that the club moves quite a long way while the shoulders remain turned. That will get the club moving down from the inside and leading he shoulders.

>

> 2. Jack Nicklaus said he wanted the buttons on the front of his shirt to point behind the ball as it was struck. A feeling to slow down the opening of the shoulders and probably hard to achieve if the shoulders go first.

>

> 3. As for me and since you asked, my feeling is very much one of swinging the club away from my target and then toward my target, PAST OR AWAY FROM MY BODY in both directions. I'm convinced that only my arms can swing the club back through the ball but I am not focused on what my arms do. I am focused on the motion of the club.

>

> Hope this helps.

>

> Steve

Thanks, Steve

I have learned my lesson by tinkering with Manny's methods. I am pretty good at not getting too far off track now. I like #3 above. I can't quite get #1 to work at the range.

> @"The Pearl" said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > Pearl:

> >

> > I'm reluctant to respond to you for fear of doing more harm than good. Manny never taught in terms of how something felt, believing that he could never know how the proper motion would feel to someone else. Therefore I can't tell you how Manny said the proper action would feel. I'm sort of on my own here so take what I say with an appropriate amount of salt.

> >

> > The problem seems to be what feels can you employ to delay the response of the shoulders until it is truly a response. I will suggest two:

> >

> > 1. Some of the Ernest Jones teachers I know or know of talk in terms of the hands working away from the trail shoulder at the change of direction. If you set up facing a mirror, swing the club to the end of the back swing, and then focus on moving the club away from your trail shoulder I think you will see that the club moves quite a long way while the shoulders remain turned. That will get the club moving down from the inside and leading he shoulders.

> >

> > 2. Jack Nicklaus said he wanted the buttons on the front of his shirt to point behind the ball as it was struck. A feeling to slow down the opening of the shoulders and probably hard to achieve if the shoulders go first.

> >

> > 3. As for me and since you asked, my feeling is very much one of swinging the club away from my target and then toward my target, PAST OR AWAY FROM MY BODY in both directions. I'm convinced that only my arms can swing the club back through the ball but I am not focused on what my arms do. I am focused on the motion of the club.

> >

> > Hope this helps.

> >

> > Steve

>

> Thanks, Steve

> I have learned my lesson by tinkering with Manny's methods. I am pretty good at not getting too far off track now. I like #3 above. I can't quite get #1 to work at the range.

>

>

Steve, that #1... do you mean from top of the swing to pull away from trailer shoulder, away from the target?, as if you were pulling down on a rope tied to the ceiling on a pulley on the target side above you? Sorry, I am that visual... I know, I’m crazy.

> @skajaquada77 said:

> > @"The Pearl" said:

> > > @juststeve said:

> > > Pearl:

> > >

> > > I'm reluctant to respond to you for fear of doing more harm than good. Manny never taught in terms of how something felt, believing that he could never know how the proper motion would feel to someone else. Therefore I can't tell you how Manny said the proper action would feel. I'm sort of on my own here so take what I say with an appropriate amount of salt.

> > >

> > > The problem seems to be what feels can you employ to delay the response of the shoulders until it is truly a response. I will suggest two:

> > >

> > > 1. Some of the Ernest Jones teachers I know or know of talk in terms of the hands working away from the trail shoulder at the change of direction. If you set up facing a mirror, swing the club to the end of the back swing, and then focus on moving the club away from your trail shoulder I think you will see that the club moves quite a long way while the shoulders remain turned. That will get the club moving down from the inside and leading he shoulders.

> > >

> > > 2. Jack Nicklaus said he wanted the buttons on the front of his shirt to point behind the ball as it was struck. A feeling to slow down the opening of the shoulders and probably hard to achieve if the shoulders go first.

> > >

> > > 3. As for me and since you asked, my feeling is very much one of swinging the club away from my target and then toward my target, PAST OR AWAY FROM MY BODY in both directions. I'm convinced that only my arms can swing the club back through the ball but I am not focused on what my arms do. I am focused on the motion of the club.

> > >

> > > Hope this helps.

> > >

> > > Steve

> >

> > Thanks, Steve

> > I have learned my lesson by tinkering with Manny's methods. I am pretty good at not getting too far off track now. I like #3 above. I can't quite get #1 to work at the range.

> >

> >

>

> Steve, that #1... do you mean from top of the swing to pull away from trailer shoulder, away from the target?, as if you were pulling down on a rope tied to the ceiling on a pulley on the target side above you? Sorry, I am that visual... I know, I’m crazy.

>

This is exactly why it's dangerous to get into how the swing feels to some folk. The what to do is swing the club, with both arms, in one continuous motion, in the direction of the target. As to how that will feel to others I can't say. What I can say is do not substitute a pulling motion for a swinging motion. They are two very different things and only the swinging motion is correct.

Steve

> @juststeve said:

> > @skajaquada77 said:

> > > @"The Pearl" said:

> > > > @juststeve said:

> > > > Pearl:

> > > >

> > > > I'm reluctant to respond to you for fear of doing more harm than good. Manny never taught in terms of how something felt, believing that he could never know how the proper motion would feel to someone else. Therefore I can't tell you how Manny said the proper action would feel. I'm sort of on my own here so take what I say with an appropriate amount of salt.

> > > >

> > > > The problem seems to be what feels can you employ to delay the response of the shoulders until it is truly a response. I will suggest two:

> > > >

> > > > 1. Some of the Ernest Jones teachers I know or know of talk in terms of the hands working away from the trail shoulder at the change of direction. If you set up facing a mirror, swing the club to the end of the back swing, and then focus on moving the club away from your trail shoulder I think you will see that the club moves quite a long way while the shoulders remain turned. That will get the club moving down from the inside and leading he shoulders.

> > > >

> > > > 2. Jack Nicklaus said he wanted the buttons on the front of his shirt to point behind the ball as it was struck. A feeling to slow down the opening of the shoulders and probably hard to achieve if the shoulders go first.

> > > >

> > > > 3. As for me and since you asked, my feeling is very much one of swinging the club away from my target and then toward my target, PAST OR AWAY FROM MY BODY in both directions. I'm convinced that only my arms can swing the club back through the ball but I am not focused on what my arms do. I am focused on the motion of the club.

> > > >

> > > > Hope this helps.

> > > >

> > > > Steve

> > >

> > > Thanks, Steve

> > > I have learned my lesson by tinkering with Manny's methods. I am pretty good at not getting too far off track now. I like #3 above. I can't quite get #1 to work at the range.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Steve, that #1... do you mean from top of the swing to pull away from trailer shoulder, away from the target?, as if you were pulling down on a rope tied to the ceiling on a pulley on the target side above you? Sorry, I am that visual... I know, I’m crazy.

> >

>

> This is exactly why it's dangerous to get into how the swing feels to some folk. The what to do is swing the club, with both arms, in one continuous motion, in the direction of the target. As to how that will feel to others I can't say. What I can say is do not substitute a pulling motion for a swinging motion. They are two very different things and only the swinging motion is correct.

>

> Steve

Agreed, swing away!

You know, it's amazing how you can play pretty good golf focusing on this method and then you see a tip on Youtube, have a buddy tell you something, or peruse the instruction forum here and next thing you know you are out of kilter. This weekend I am thinking of nothing but swinging the entire club towards the target. I need this thread like an alcoholic needs his AA class, I keep falling off the wagon. LOL.

My name is Dlygrisse...and I am a swing tinkerer. There...I said it.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @dlygrisse said:

> You know, it's amazing how you can play pretty good golf focusing on this method and then you see a tip on Youtube, have a buddy tell you something, or peruse the instruction forum here and next thing you know you are out of kilter. This weekend I am thinking of nothing but swinging the entire club towards the target. I need this thread like an alcoholic needs his AA class, I keep falling off the wagon. LOL.

>

> My name is Dlygrisse...and I am a swing tinkerer. There...I said it.

So true. I unsuscribed from all emails and youtube channels that have anything to do with instruction. Today I played a great round, felt great. All week I practiced feet-together swings. I tried to emulate the same range of motion on course but feet in normal positions. Thats all the turn you need. Flushed the irons. It literally was taking the club “to the shoulder, brush grass towards target then to shoulder”. Forget everything else, overturning, etc. My mind tells me “yeah ok you turned your shoulders 45 degrees, maybe, not close to full turn”... but guess what, I guarantee you it was closer to 90 than what i thought. Nobody in the group mentioned anything, and I know they would.

> @juststeve said:

> Manny had a similar drill but it had nothing to do with keeping the shoulders closed. Just swing the club back with the hands then slowly and precisely return the whole club to the address position with the arms. Repeat until you felt like you were going to die.

>

> Steve

Steve,

I have seen nothing on shoulder tilt to the right at address with a driver with MDLT teaching, that many instructors say is an imperative. Did he ever recommend this? I can’t say I’ve read anything from his book or on the dvd . So I’ve assumed he wanted everything centered.

P.S. I think I saw the answer in one of his talks on you tube. One doesn’t need spine tilt back if playing from center. It was called setup concepts from 1987.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

> @NoTalentLefty said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > Manny had a similar drill but it had nothing to do with keeping the shoulders closed. Just swing the club back with the hands then slowly and precisely return the whole club to the address position with the arms. Repeat until you felt like you were going to die.

> >

> > Steve

> Steve,

>

> I have seen nothing on shoulder tilt to the right at address with a driver with MDLT teaching, that many instructors say is an imperative. Did he ever recommend this? I can’t say I’ve read anything from his book or on the dvd . So I’ve assumed he wanted everything centered.

>

> P.S. I think I saw the answer in one of his talks on you tube. One doesn’t need spine tilt back if playing from center. It was called setup concepts from 1987.

I remember seeing something about it in the video you mentioned. I’m glad I went back to it because his whole dissertation on open stance/open shoulders is very interesting and I never thought about it in depth... move left foot back instead of flare out because when you flare out the shoulders open up and this often leads to a slice or cut. I need to observe this effect next time i go to the range.

Been using his method this year, to good affect. It was really helpful, especially as I played through an injury or two, and play on a course with a decent amount of uneven lies, so focusing on swinging the club while allowing the body to respond however it needed to for the circumstance at hand was really helpful. Plus, I can hit driver now, which I couldn’t do very well with this method when I tried it before (idk why). I also steered away from it because I was admittedly concerned about losing distance via the swing method, as I’ve already lost speed due to age, etc. I’ve gotten over that. I figure I’ll pick up speed in the gym (which has worked for me before), and with overspeed devices. But the simplicity of this has been too good to ignore.

> @NoTalentLefty said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > Manny had a similar drill but it had nothing to do with keeping the shoulders closed. Just swing the club back with the hands then slowly and precisely return the whole club to the address position with the arms. Repeat until you felt like you were going to die.

> >

> > Steve

> Steve,

>

> I have seen nothing on shoulder tilt to the right at address with a driver with MDLT teaching, that many instructors say is an imperative. Did he ever recommend this? I can’t say I’ve read anything from his book or on the dvd . So I’ve assumed he wanted everything centered.

>

> P.S. I think I saw the answer in one of his talks on you tube. One doesn’t need spine tilt back if playing from center. It was called setup concepts from 1987.

My right shoulder is a bit lower than my left at address but only because my right hand is below the left on the grip. There is no effort to create artificial tilt. Manny wanted students to stand in balance as comfortably as possible with the club head in the center of the stance. He believe that natural position was the one the body would react from most easily.

Steve

> @juststeve said:

> > @NoTalentLefty said:

> > > @juststeve said:

> > > Manny had a similar drill but it had nothing to do with keeping the shoulders closed. Just swing the club back with the hands then slowly and precisely return the whole club to the address position with the arms. Repeat until you felt like you were going to die.

> > >

> > > Steve

> > Steve,

> >

> > I have seen nothing on shoulder tilt to the right at address with a driver with MDLT teaching, that many instructors say is an imperative. Did he ever recommend this? I can’t say I’ve read anything from his book or on the dvd . So I’ve assumed he wanted everything centered.

> >

> > P.S. I think I saw the answer in one of his talks on you tube. One doesn’t need spine tilt back if playing from center. It was called setup concepts from 1987.

>

> My right shoulder is a bit lower than my left at address but only because my right hand is below the left on the grip. There is no effort to create artificial tilt. Manny wanted students to stand in balance as comfortably as possible with the club head in the center of the stance. He believe that natural position was the one the body would react from most easily.

>

> Steve

Thanks again. My left shoulder is slightly lower at setup. Lefty here.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

> @juststeve said:

> > @NoTalentLefty said:

> > > @juststeve said:

> > > Manny had a similar drill but it had nothing to do with keeping the shoulders closed. Just swing the club back with the hands then slowly and precisely return the whole club to the address position with the arms. Repeat until you felt like you were going to die.

> > >

> > > Steve

> > Steve,

> >

> > I have seen nothing on shoulder tilt to the right at address with a driver with MDLT teaching, that many instructors say is an imperative. Did he ever recommend this? I can’t say I’ve read anything from his book or on the dvd . So I’ve assumed he wanted everything centered.

> >

> > P.S. I think I saw the answer in one of his talks on you tube. One doesn’t need spine tilt back if playing from center. It was called setup concepts from 1987.

>

> My right shoulder is a bit lower than my left at address but only because my right hand is below the left on the grip. There is no effort to create artificial tilt. Manny wanted students to stand in balance as comfortably as possible with the club head in the center of the stance. He believe that natural position was the one the body would react from most easily.

>

> Steve

thanks Steve, from pics of Manny, it seems if the left arm is relaxed and tension free, and ball played in center of stance, the left shoulder is just a little bit above the right.

• 1 month later...

> @mb123 said:

> Just sharing for the group. I found these video's valuable in reading and understanding the book. The MDLT approach makes so much sense to me, sucks I didn't learn of him soon enough to actually get a lesson being in chicago...

For those that aren't aware, the entire series of these videos (a little shy of 3 hours worth) is available on YouTube:

[intro](

"Intro")

[Grip](

"Grip")

[Alignment](

"Alignment")

[setup](

"Setup")

[swing](

"Swing")

[Mental](

"Mental")

While there is a lot of overlap between the book and the videos, there are some good nuggets in the videos that I don't recall being in the book (such as how to check if you are actually swinging over your shoulder), so they are worth watching even if you are familiar with the book.

After watching these videos, juststeve has done a fantastic job communicating MDLT's concepts over the past few years using just words, but seeing actual video of this might turn on some light bulbs that words and still pictures can't do on their own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I struggled for months with consistency. Sometimes my swing was great, sending the ball to the target with a perfect, predictable flight, sometimes I was shanking it all over the course. I tweaked and tweaked little things, re-watched the videos, re-read chapters, went back to John a few times... We would fix it but then gone again in 2 weeks.

Then I built this. I have been swinging much better now, more relaxed. Whenever I have a bad shot I swing a 7iron back and forth to remember the feel and speed that I would use to swing the tennis ball back with my hands and forward with my arms to the target, waiting for it to hit my torso on my backswing then again on my forward swing. I really think it works wonders.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone with experience trying to teach this method to kids? My daughter is showing an interest in golf, and it seems that the simplicity of MDLT's teachings would be a fantastic way to teach a kid without overwhelming them, but any tips would be appreciated.

So far, I have just taught her to hold the club with the right hand lower than the left and let her swing away, but I'm thinking the tennis ball on a string might be a good next step for her to learn to swing.

> @oukeith said:

> In case anyone is interested. Looks like there is a YouTube contributor publishing content on MDLT swing philosophy.

>

>

>

Her name is Trish Beutcher. Interestingly enough, I took a lesson with her down in West Palm Beach Florida last week. She used to play on the womens "Futures Tour" back in the day and studied under Manual for 15 years. An absolutely fantastic lesson btw.

> @"The Pearl" said:

> I will echo what juststeve has preached in that the two feet together drill is without a doubt the best drill if you are embracing the MDLT approach and might be the best drill in the history of golf instruction. I have had probably 7 or 8 of my golfing buddies try i and despite all being decent players, they can barely get the ball airborne.

>

> JustSteve may disagree or tweek my comments but for those earlier in the thread voicing distance concerns the feet together drill is a great way to learn how to properly add speed. You can't cheat with this drill, you either swing the club properly or you don't.

I agee 100%. Great drill for the MDLT method.

I've also found a use for it on the course as when I swing with my feet together, I lose about 10% of my distance.

So it's a swig I use when I'm between clubs!

I've seen lots of guys asking about are there any MDLT teachers in their area?

This has probably been posted elsewhere in this thread but I'll bump it up here for those interested.

This is a website totally dedicated to MDLT.

One page lists all the teachers in the country who claim to teach his method.

So, for those looking for lessons.....

http://www.manueldelatorregolfteaching.com/teachers-list/

I personally took a lesson from Trish Beucher and she was EXCELLENT! I've heard the same about John Hayes.