TP5x vs SNELL MTB X... "MY" actual results

golfnhack

To be clear... by "MY"... I mean me personally... it is NO reference to another site! That is purely coincidental.

So I wrote a post a couple of months ago about testing the 2017 TM TP5x against all the new 2019 balls I got from the PGA show. Essentially I hit 6 shots with each 2019 ball I got from the show and compared accuracy and distance against the 2017 TP5x. It was a long post, and I spent hours doing the test. Long story short... FOR ME..... the TP5x was by far the best ball. I stressed that the results were MY results, and I stated in the post that I would highly suggest every person do the same test, rather than rely on hearsay, to find the right ball for them. Essentially I suggested going out to your local course in the very late afternoon, and asking your pro if they would mind if you hit balls down a fairway to compare them. Obviously you would need to have a good relationship with your pro, but if you do it late enough, and not hinder play, it is the absolute best way to test balls.

Now... for some reason, GolfWRX deleted the contents of my post (not the actual post itself). I never got a reason for them doing this, other than a general (we do not allow promoting of products). As mentioned this test was a personal ball test that I spent hours doing, and wrote a long and thoughtful post about MY findings. I have no affiliation with any company. My clubs are a complete mixed bag that include. TM driver, Callaway FW woods, Titeist irons and wedges, and a PING putter. I had NOTHING to gain from the post.

So with all that out of the way.... based on a recent ball test on another website, I decided to test the SNELL against the TP5x. I have always stated (and I did in my deleted post too) that high compression balls perform the best for me. I was super excited to test the Snell against the Tp5x. In my former post I mentioned that the TP5x was SIGNIFICANTLY longer than any other ball I tested. One of the test shots from the test was 45 yards by any other ball I hit. Since the other site's test stated the SNELL was significantly longer than any other ball THEY tested, I was thinking... 300+ average... here I come.

Well, long story short, the SNELL MTB X was a good 15-20 yards................ SHORTER than the TP5x. Not only that, side spin with the driver was SIGNIFICANTLY more. Now again, I will stress..... your results may vary. This was just my personal experience. I urge you to conduct the test I mentioned, and check the results yourself.

The only test I have left is to test the 2019 TP5x again the 2017 version. I still have 15 2017 balls left, and don't really plan on buying the 2019 till I get to 1 sleeve left of the 2017, so it may be a couple of months. I generally use 1 ball about 3 rounds (if I am lucky enough).

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Pretty much summed what every smart fitter or player would say. Play the ball that works for you. In your case, it’s the TP5x not the MTBx. Your results are based on driver, too. That’s the last thing I would tell anyone to test on. But it is your test and I like that you took the time and money try this test and report your findings. It’s better than someone just trashing on a ball that they never have played.

Keep on keeping on. Follow up with some shorter shots and some putting love. That’s where it matters to some of us.

The TP5x is the best overall ball for me. However, I happened to find a Taylormade Burner LDP ball on the course. The thing is hard as a rock, BUT it is longer than the TP5X with both driver and irons. At $12 a dozen, I picked some up for when I play practice rounds on business in San Fran at a course where the rough is so thick, that you can lose a ball when you are 2 feet off the FW.

> @golfnhack said:

> In my former post I mentioned that the TP5x was SIGNIFICANTLY longer than any other ball I tested. One of the test shots from the test was 45 yards by any other ball I hit. Since the other site's test stated the SNELL was significantly longer than any other ball THEY tested, I was thinking... 300+ average... here I come.

>

> Well, long story short, the SNELL MTB X was a good 15-20 yards................ SHORTER than the TP5x. Not only that, side spin with the driver was SIGNIFICANTLY more. Now again, I will stress..... your results may vary. This was just my personal experience. I urge you to conduct the test I mentioned, and check the results yourself.

>

You actually believe that it was a ball, not a better swing, not kicking off something hard, not a hard downhill bounce, but a ball that caused you to hit one shot 45 yards further than that same shot with a different ball?

Then you actually believe that consistently one ball is 15-20 yards less, both with similar compression profiles with the same swing? You again associate that distance difference with the ball and not the swings between the two? Two balls that have a difference of less than 1 MPH ball speed? Two balls who spin with a driver at less than 1% difference?

If you are enjoying playing the TP5x that's awesome, keep enjoying the TP5x. It's pretty obvious though that your differences to this extreme are caused by what's between your ears, not the technology in the two golf balls.

• Like 1

If you had read my original thread, I mentioned it must have hit a sprinkler head. But what was clear was that the TP5x was significantly longer than anything else. The post showed the landing area (flat) and a whole lot of other details). No I am not saying it is consistently 45 yards longer. What I said was I hit ONE shot that was 45 yard longer.

> @NC_Indy said:

> > @golfnhack said:

> > In my former post I mentioned that the TP5x was SIGNIFICANTLY longer than any other ball I tested. One of the test shots from the test was 45 yards by any other ball I hit. Since the other site's test stated the SNELL was significantly longer than any other ball THEY tested, I was thinking... 300+ average... here I come.

> >

> > Well, long story short, the SNELL MTB X was a good 15-20 yards................ SHORTER than the TP5x. Not only that, side spin with the driver was SIGNIFICANTLY more. Now again, I will stress..... your results may vary. This was just my personal experience. I urge you to conduct the test I mentioned, and check the results yourself.

> >

>

> You actually believe that it was a ball, not a better swing, not kicking off something hard, not a hard downhill bounce, but a ball that caused you to hit one shot 45 yards further than that same shot with a different ball?

>

> Then you actually believe that consistently one ball is 15-20 yards less, both with similar compression profiles with the same swing? You again associate that distance difference with the ball and not the swings between the two? Two balls that have a difference of less than 1 MPH ball speed? Two balls who spin with a driver at less than 1% difference?

>

>

> If you are enjoying playing the TP5x that's awesome, keep enjoying the TP5x. It's pretty obvious though that your differences to

• Like 1

So what's the point of this post? To share your non-scientific anecdotal experience? How is this relevant or interesting?

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

> @TnJohn said:

> So what's the point of this post? To share your non-scientific anecdotal experience? How is this relevant or interesting?

That seems a little harsh. I appreciate hearing real world comparison opinions, even if they're anecdotal and non-scientific. It helps clarify that the ball test results showing MTB-X as the fastest ball speed doesn't guarantee everyone will go out and hit it the furthest.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

> @TnJohn said:

> So what's the point of this post? To share your non-scientific anecdotal experience? How is this relevant or interesting?

Clearly you do not get the point of message boards and discussion groups. 96 posts including that last troll. You are off to a great start newbie. Now get to bed... you have school tomorrow. 5th grade is it?

• Like 2

Great post. I appreciate hearing the experiences of actual humans when testing different balls, even if your results may not perfectly translate to what is best for me or others. Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your findings.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @Philomathesq said:

> Great post. I appreciate hearing the experiences of actual humans when testing different balls, even if your results may not perfectly translate to what is best for me or others. Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your findings.

Agree. I did a ball test last year and the Zstar XV is still in the bag. I don't give two shitts what a robot says

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @Krt22 said:

> Need to try the 2019 TP5X. Really liked the 2017 Tp5X performance, just not the durability

2019 TP5X has much improved durability from the 2017 ball. The alignment side stamp is much better too.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

> @TK3309 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Need to try the 2019 TP5X. Really liked the 2017 Tp5X performance, just not the durability

>

> 2019 TP5X has much improved durability from the 2017 ball. The alignment side stamp is much better too.

It's definitely on my "try" list... I just have to clear out my 2017 stock. Down to 12 balls now. However, as mentioned... I will keep 3 out to compare the 2019 vs 2017

Thanks for sharing your real world experience, I like to hear the reviews of real golfers not machines. Like you, I seem to hit it the longest off the tee and like the feel off the putter. I have a couple dozen of the 2017 version left and then I will give the '19 version a go. I am hoping for the same performance with a bit more durability.

• Like 1

Ping G410 9* - Tensei Orange 60 S
Callaway Epic Flash 15* - Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Ping G410 19* - Tensei Blue 80 S
Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-Gw - KBS C Taper Lite S
Callaway MD4 Chrome 54* and 58* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 115
Too Many Putters to List!
Vessel Lite Black Camo
Titleist Pro V1x

> @TnJohn said:

Are you suggesting that we have to use an Iron Byron or simulator in order to be eligible to share our experiences with actual on course ball performance? Those machines are expensive, and I don't have room in my garage to store a Iron Byron even if I decided to buy one. In the meantime, if I want to post anecdotal observations if i feel it is relevant and helpful to the forum, I will do so, and I enjoy reading that of other folks here. It's interesting and helpful info. C'mon man!!!

> @golfnhack said:

> The TP5x is the best overall ball for me. However, I happened to find a Taylormade Burner LDP ball on the course. The thing is hard as a rock, BUT it is longer than the TP5X with both driver and irons. At $12 a dozen, I picked some up for when I play practice rounds on business in San Fran at a course where the rough is so thick, that you can lose a ball when you are 2 feet off the FW.

normal, that burner ball will spin like 2000 rpm less on medium iron for example so more carry and roll

• 3 months later...

I have been on a search for a $30 ball. I have tried Pearl Pure Pro X, Snell mtb-x and Volvik Vivid. I got more consistent results with the Volvik. I found that the lack of forgiveness in the Pearl and Snell pretty much invalidates the whole point of having a tour level ball being sold to the masses. The success garnered by the ProV1 for so long was not simply that it was a tour ball. It was a ball playable by every above average player. If you play to a 15 you get benefits from this ball.

I found the Pearl ball to be great around the greens but with inconsistent distance with the driver and short with irons. The Snell was not as good around the greens, was long on driver and irons but so uncontrollable with the driver. The side spin effect is so disruptive on the Snell. I tried the Snell after reading and viewing so many glowing reviews and now I am wondering if all these reviewers were low handicappers because I really can’t see how this ball can help mid-cappers and above.

After I stumbled on this thread, I decided to try the tp5x. Goodness gracious this is a ball!!! It feels so good and the results I get on drives and irons is next to none. I have been playing the Bridgestone RXS but the tp5x feels better and is longer. With the RXS, I really had to crank it up to get reasonable distance. Not so with the tp5x.

Iam going to keep playing the tp5x for the upcoming weeks as my premium ball and see if the results last. I will use the Volvik as my practice ball. I think what I am finding is that you really get what you paid for. The idea of a cheap premium ball may not be as easy to realize as most reviews seem to claim.

I am always open to hearing opinions and insights on ball selection process so please feel free to chime in.

• Like 1

The problem for humans doing ball tests is that we can't hit enough shots consistently enough to really make any conclusions. Maybe if you are a scratch golfer and hit 100 shots on Trackman with each ball you would have enough data to really tell you something. But hitting one or two shots off a tee and then seeing where they land tells you nothing, and if you try to use that to make conclusions it actually tells you less than nothing.

Almost all of the balls are so close to each other off the driver, that's also the LAST place you should be doing any ball testing.

This is exactly why I enjoy reading people’s opinions and like forming my own based off the experience of others. I am not as consistent as a robot but tend to be a higher spin player who leaves the driver face open occasionally and am ever-searching for the best ball for my game. If we were all robots the game would be easy and we would never have to discuss the best equipment for us.

> @arbeck said:

> The problem for humans doing ball tests is that we can't hit enough shots consistently enough to really make any conclusions. Maybe if you are a scratch golfer and hit 100 shots on Trackman with each ball you would have enough data to really tell you something. But hitting one or two shots off a tee and then seeing where they land tells you nothing, and if you try to use that to make conclusions it actually tells you less than nothing.

>

> Almost all of the balls are so close to each other off the driver, that's also the LAST place you should be doing any ball testing.

This is some of the best feedback that you can find when it comes to ball performance. I've tried just about all the currently available balls on the market. Perhaps not as much as I'd like to, but enough to reach a consensus about the ones that I like and don't like. Typically, the performance is very close and it comes down to feel in certain areas of the game.

I was playing the Bridgestone Tour B RX because it was long and felt really good off the driver, iron and wedges. I still like it, but there were others that were very close. The Snell MTB Black and Oncore Elixir are interchangeable because, distance wise, they are about the same and feel wise, just very close. It did come down to distance in the end because the RX was just slightly longer off the driver and long irons. I still like the feeling of the Elixir but since I'm a senior golfer and not a longer hitter, I go with what gives me the most distance and still feels good.

After reading the ball review on another website, I decided to try some of the balls that came out in the excellent category. I not only didn't see a distance improvement but the feel was harsh with the more firm balls. After one of my playing partners started playing the Snell MTB-X, I decided to give it another try. First round was just so-so, but the more I adapted to it, the better it got. Not only was I getting more distance, but the feel of the firmer ball really started to make a difference in my game.

I don't think you can judge a ball by hitting a few shots here and there. You've really got to play a few rounds and commit to it in order to determine if it is really a better ball FOR YOU. I've hit the TP5X and TP5 and was not overly impressed any more so than any of the other tour balls that I tried ... Chromesoft, Chromesoft X, TM AVX, Bridgestone B X, Pearl, Srixon Z Star XV and Z Star, Titlelist ProV1 and ProvV1X, Vice Pro, and a few more. Some just didn't have the feel that I was looking for... some just didn't perform for me... but the Snell MTB-X is working for me and I don't experience any of the outliers that others have mentioned. if I get sidespin, it's me, not the ball. If I pull it left, it's me, not the ball. But when I catch it flush, it's a beautiful launch and looooonnng. It responds the way I expect it to off the wedges and in particular the putter.

However, I'm going to play a round with the TP5X just to see if I can provide a comparison to the MTB-X, but even if it's just as good as the MTB-X (for me), why would I change because the MTB-X is quite a bit cheaper.

If you haven't read any of my other posts regarding the performance of the MTB-X when I was in Hawaii, then you might want to search for it. But I took 2 sleeves with me just to share with other golfers and get their feedback. While none of them were playing the TP5X, every one of them felt the MTB-X was as good or better than what they were playing and wanted to know how to get it. Most were playing Titleist balls or Callaway balls. All were playing tour level balls. Not much more to add until I give the TP5X a try. I've already got a dozen of them sitting at home that I used for testing previously. They are the 2019 version.

I think when doing ball testing, robot results are what matters. You want to hit each ball with exactly the same speed and on the same spot on the face so that you can compare ball speed and spin relative to each other. If you hit a ball A on the sweet spot, and then you hit a ball B few mm off the sweet spot then your results are flawed

> @autronicdsm said:

> I think when doing ball testing, robot results are what matters. You want to hit each ball with exactly the same speed and on the same spot on the face so that you can compare ball speed and spin relative to each other. If you hit a ball A on the sweet spot, and then you hit a ball B few mm off the sweet spot then your results are flawed

Not to disagree with you, but I think after you review the robot testing, you'll have nothing more than an indication of what kind of performance you may get from a golf ball. Unfortunately, a robot has no way to tell you how a ball feels coming off your various golf clubs. That's where real world performance on the course takes over and that's what ultimately will help you decide on which ball is the right one for you.

> @jjfcpa said:

> > @autronicdsm said:

> > I think when doing ball testing, robot results are what matters. You want to hit each ball with exactly the same speed and on the same spot on the face so that you can compare ball speed and spin relative to each other. If you hit a ball A on the sweet spot, and then you hit a ball B few mm off the sweet spot then your results are flawed

>

> Not to disagree with you, but I think after you review the robot testing, you'll have nothing more than an indication of what kind of performance you may get from a golf ball. Unfortunately, a robot has no way to tell you how a ball feels coming off your various golf clubs. That's where real world performance on the course takes over and that's what ultimately will help you decide on which ball is the right one for you.

Feel is not real. Your feel also won't tell you what kind of performance you'll get from a golf ball. It may feel so bad that you can't enjoy playing it, but that doesn't mean that it's performance wouldn't be best for you. I actually prefer the feel of a Wilson Duo. I love the marshmallow fill that makes me feel like I've middled everything. But I know that I'm giving up some performance if I use it. Maybe some people don't care, but I don't think those are the kind of people who hang out here.

A normal human is never going to hit enough shots with a ball to really find a performance difference in distance off the driver. To find a performance difference off the driver I imagine you'd have to hit 100 or more of each ball off the same tee and record all of their distances to have enough data to say anything. Otherwise you're going have so much noise from strike, bounces, atmospheric conditions, and everything else to overwhelm any conclusions. You could probably do it in 20 shots or so with a Trackman or GC Quad, but not many of us have access to that.

When picking a ball, you should first decide if you are willing to give up ball speed for feel. If you aren't, then you have to pick a ball firm enough for your swing speed. For me (who's swinging a driver just under 100MPH), that means picking a ball in the 100 compression range (I don't really gain anything from going firmer and I don't love the feel of the firm balls). Looking at the raw data from the tests of those balls (Snell MTB Black, Bridgestone BXS, Titleist Pro V1, Mizuno RB Tour, Callaway Chromesoft X, Srixon Z Star, Taylormade TP5), there's less than 2MPH of ball speed and 300RPM of spin between the top and bottom balls with a driver. I'm never going to be able to tell a difference between them on the course. With the irons, they all have basically identical launch angles and ball speed. Spin is the only separator. There's 1100RPM of spin between the lowest and highest spinning ball with a 7i. I think I could probably notice that over a couple of rounds, and I'd easily notice it on a launch monitor. I don't know if I'd notice the distance difference on a course, but I'd probably notice that I got fliers a bit more often with one ball type. The data off the wedge is basically the same again for them all and my strike is going to be the most important factor. I don't think I could ever tell a difference in play with the wedges.

So out of those balls, I eliminated the Chromesoft X because of it's low spin off irons and what maybe QC issues (I know they have their issues, I don't know if they're worse than anyone else but I don't think they're better and I have other options so why chance it?). I eliminated the RB Tour based on durability issues (I was using 3 balls a round even when not losing a single ball) and price. The Pro V1 and TP5 were eliminated on price. The Snell, Bridgestone and Srixon are all very close on price (unless I'm buying the Snell in bulk, I'm paying $27 and $34 for the Srixon and Bridgestone through Amazon subscribe and pay vs $33 for the Snell) and the performance is so close that I'm unlikely to be able to tell the difference. If one of the balls felt horrible, I wouldn't play it; but I don't think I'd be able to identify them blind. I probably go through a dozen balls every two months on average so a few dollars difference is no big deal. So I've narrowed it down to the Bridgestone or Srixon. Nothing against the Snell, but unless it's cheaper I'd rather play one of the bigger brands. The Srixon is $7 cheaper than the Bridgestone. But is $3.50 a month really a big deal? The Bridgestone has slightly more iron spin in tests, but probably not enough that I would notice. So right now I'm playing them both and trying to pick the more durable one.

Long story short, how they perform during rounds has almost ZERO to do with me picking a ball. I've got a long list of balls that I know have numbers fit my swing speed and spin needs. Unless one somehow feels WAY better than the others feel doesn't have much to do with it. After that it's simply durability and price.