The JOY of playing with new golfers

2bGood

I have been forced to play with new golfer lately - like, brand new, first time on the course! and wow once you get your head around it, it is really joyful.

I love it when they hit a 100 yard drive that they thrilled about because "it went in the air!" Or when they actually hit the sweet spot - boy they love that!

I play most of my rounds with fellow low capper and scratch golfer, and we complain when we hit a fade instead of a draw that ends up 280 yard in the fairway. It really is a joy to play with golfers that get excited when the club face actually makes contact with the ball.

Last summer I played with a woman who had maybe been out 3 times, a hodge podge of clubs, but she was athletic and you could tell she would be a good golfer without much effort. I lent her a club to hit on a par 3 and she got her first par, she was so happy, it was fun.

• Like 1

It's not how...it's how many

I didn't know Bushwood let players out of that caliber

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I've played with a slew of different guys this year of varying skill. Some are single digit handicaps and others are high handicaps. I can honestly say that it's fun either way. It just depends on the person and their attitude.

I tend to think that the best golf is chill golf. Whether he's shooting 75 or 105, it's the guy who's way too into it talking only about golf that's annoying to those around him.

When it comes to beginners, so long as guys aren't worried about whether I'm worried about them, it's great. Some players can't help but feel embarrassed. No matter how many times you try and reassure them, they're clearly in their own heads.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I enjoy playing with new to the game players...

I also enjoy playing with experienced players that don't take the game too seriously... I enjoy watching them swing as hard as they can and play their 50 yards slice

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I still say its that "one shot" that keeps me coming back for more. I still have a long way to go but in the last 3 years I went from shooting 120's to 100's to 90's to every now and again 85-90. I still have moments where I top the ball 50 yards etc... I was lucky to have people in my group that are similar in skill level and some that were much better. I think it's important to keep all this in perspective that it's just a game and to have fun !!

A woman I work with just started playing golf in the past year or so. She knows I'm a golf nut, so she asks me a lot of questions because I "seem to know everything about golf" (of course I do, I'm a member of GolfWRX).

A few weeks ago a few of us got selected to play in a charity scramble for work, and she was one of them. She was so nervous beforehand, and said to me "this is my first real scramble, I am so worried I'm gonna hit a bad shot and the rest of the group will be annoyed with how bad I am". I assured her that no one really cares in scrambles, especially ones for charity. That and she'll have two other guys who are decent golfers on her team, and they'll take care of the pressure shots.

It's nice to see the enthusiasm.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

> @2bGood said:

> I have been forced to play with new golfer lately - like, brand new, first time on the course! and wow once you get your head around it, it is really joyful.

>

> I love it when they hit a 100 yard drive that they thrilled about because "it went in the air!" Or when they actually hit the sweet spot - boy they love that!

>

> I play most of my rounds with fellow low capper and scratch golfer, and we complain when we hit a fade instead of a draw that ends up 280 yard in the fairway. It really is a joy to play with golfers that get excited when the club face actually makes contact with the ball.

>

I've been playing most of my golf over the last year with my wife. She had never owned clubs before I bought her a set, and had only "played golf" once (she tells me she really just drove the cart around for some friends, hit a few balls and drank some beer). I think I get more excited about her good shots than she does. It is a lot of fun to watch her get better as time goes on.

> @Neverfadeaway86 said:

> I still say its that "one shot" that keeps me coming back for more. I still have a long way to go but in the last 3 years I went from shooting 120's to 100's to 90's to every now and again 85-90. I still have moments where I top the ball 50 yards etc... I was lucky to have people in my group that are similar in skill level and some that were much better. I think it's important to keep all this in perspective that it's just a game and to have fun !!

I've been playing for nearly 2 decades, and have been as low as a 2 index (currently a 6), and I STILL top the ball a few feet on occasion. It happens, just like shanks, chili dips, skulled shots, hooks and slices. It's all just part of the game.

> @bigred90gt said:

> > @Neverfadeaway86 said:

> > I still say its that "one shot" that keeps me coming back for more. I still have a long way to go but in the last 3 years I went from shooting 120's to 100's to 90's to every now and again 85-90. I still have moments where I top the ball 50 yards etc... I was lucky to have people in my group that are similar in skill level and some that were much better. I think it's important to keep all this in perspective that it's just a game and to have fun !!

>

> I've been playing for nearly 2 decades, and have been as low as a 2 index (currently a 6), and I STILL top the ball a few feet on occasion. It happens, just like shanks, chili dips, skulled shots, hooks and slices. It's all just part of the game.

Exactly!!! And one of the best feelings is cold topping one, hitting a decent follow up shot, making a par putt, and feeling completely excited and guilty about it at the same time! I have a buddy who just started playing a few years ago, and playing with him is more enjoyable than anybody else. The sheer amount of progress he's made in 2 summers is outstanding, it is like playing with a different player now. The first time he chipped in for a deuce on the hardest par 3 on the course is something we will never forget (nor will anyone else playing that day, they definitely heard the shouts).

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

funny...we all started this way...

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @bigred90gt said:

> > @Neverfadeaway86 said:

> > I still say its that "one shot" that keeps me coming back for more. I still have a long way to go but in the last 3 years I went from shooting 120's to 100's to 90's to every now and again 85-90. I still have moments where I top the ball 50 yards etc... I was lucky to have people in my group that are similar in skill level and some that were much better. I think it's important to keep all this in perspective that it's just a game and to have fun !!

>

> I've been playing for nearly 2 decades, and have been as low as a 2 index (currently a 6), and I STILL top the ball a few feet on occasion. It happens, just like shanks, chili dips, skulled shots, hooks and slices. It's all just part of the game.

Yes it amazing how newer golf don't get that. I even saw Tiger top a 3 wood 150 yards once live.

Personally I love saving par from some trashy drive that only went 50 yards. I had one the other day on a 320 yard par 4. I can't get to the green so I hit a 220 yard club off the tee box, I heel top it 100 yards. So I hit the same club again pin high on the green. Make my 2 putt. Green in Reg, 2 putt par.

> @2bGood said:

> > @bigred90gt said:

> > > @Neverfadeaway86 said:

> > > I still say its that "one shot" that keeps me coming back for more. I still have a long way to go but in the last 3 years I went from shooting 120's to 100's to 90's to every now and again 85-90. I still have moments where I top the ball 50 yards etc... I was lucky to have people in my group that are similar in skill level and some that were much better. I think it's important to keep all this in perspective that it's just a game and to have fun !!

> >

> > I've been playing for nearly 2 decades, and have been as low as a 2 index (currently a 6), and I STILL top the ball a few feet on occasion. It happens, just like shanks, chili dips, skulled shots, hooks and slices. It's all just part of the game.

>

> Yes it amazing how newer golf don't get that. I even saw Tiger top a 3 wood 150 yards once live.

>

> Personally I love saving par from some trashy drive that only went 50 yards. I had one the other day on a 320 yard par 4. I can't get to the green so I hit a 220 yard club off the tee box, I heel top it 100 yards. So I hit the same club again pin high on the green. Make my 2 putt. Green in Reg, 2 putt par.

Yep, those are the best par saves. The redemption shots.

I watched Steve Stricker (who as most people know is one of the better ball strikers) straight shank a ball from the middle of the fairway.

> @2bGood said:

> > @bigred90gt said:

> > > @Neverfadeaway86 said:

> > > I still say its that "one shot" that keeps me coming back for more. I still have a long way to go but in the last 3 years I went from shooting 120's to 100's to 90's to every now and again 85-90. I still have moments where I top the ball 50 yards etc... I was lucky to have people in my group that are similar in skill level and some that were much better. I think it's important to keep all this in perspective that it's just a game and to have fun !!

> >

> > I've been playing for nearly 2 decades, and have been as low as a 2 index (currently a 6), and I STILL top the ball a few feet on occasion. It happens, just like shanks, chili dips, skulled shots, hooks and slices. It's all just part of the game.

>

> Yes it amazing how newer golf don't get that. I even saw Tiger top a 3 wood 150 yards once live.

>

> Personally I love saving par from some trashy drive that only went 50 yards. I had one the other day on a 320 yard par 4. I can't get to the green so I hit a 220 yard club off the tee box, I heel top it 100 yards. So I hit the same club again pin high on the green. Make my 2 putt. Green in Reg, 2 putt par.

I had one Monday night. Currently playing to a 4.1. Hole plays 430 yards, very elevated tee box. Shanked driver ~110 yards at most. Ball sitting in the rough, well above my feet; flushed a 3i to ~105 yards, middle of the fairway. SW to ~17ft, drained the putt for par.

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

A few "newb" stories come to mind.

I was a single golfer, early for my tee time at a busy course on the outskirts of NYC. I was hovering around the first tee/putting green, killing time waiting for my tee time. An Asian 20something kid walks up to the starter and says "I want to play golf". Starter brings the kid into the shop, signs him up, kid gets tossed in with a 3 some of Asian ladies. They tee off, I go back to puttering around. About 20 mins later, the group returns, the kid is hanging his head. "This kid doesn't know how to play golf, he doesn't have tees, he has one ball that he lost, he drove the cart on the first two greens" one of the ladies blurts out, "He is a disgrace to golfers". One of the other ladies takes his bag off the cart, and tosses it at the starter, "you need to give him lessons!". The 3some stormed off...Everyone looked at each other as if to say "what just happened?"

I work for a Korean company, and I am often invited to play golf to improve business relations with Korean businessmen. One time we were playing a very nice semi private club, I was playing with a co-worker and two guys from Korea. We all arrived, warmed up, had coffee, got ready to tee off. "Watch out for this guy, he is screen golf champion in Korea" one of my coworkers told me. This screen golfer was decked out, all white, full staff bag, looked like a guy from the Asian Tour. Screen golfer goes up to the first tee, dribbles one about 50 yards. Next shot goes 20 yards, this goes on for the entire front 9, the dude did not get one single ball airborne. "How is this guy the champion?" I asked. "This is the first time he has ever hit a ball off grass, he has never played golf outside. He does not know how to hit golf ball under these conditions."

• 1 month later...

My mens league team started a player down this year due to the retirement of my previous partner. So the sponsor of the team brought in his grandson who was still in highschool and really hadnt played much golf let alone competitive golf. I probably ruined him the first night as I had a HIO 5 holes in.

I think he did finally shoot under 50 the last night of the playoffs. Hes got the potential to be fairly good, just needs to work on consistent ball striking, too many rolled drives and chunked approaches.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Last year as Captain of my club I made an effort to play with as many different members as possible over the year. This included getting the cimpetition secretary to organise draws so I always played with someone I hadn't played with yet.

My proudest "achivement" though is signing 17 cards for new handicaps (1 of which was less than 100) the pleasure I got from watching these people hit a decent shot and be overjoyed with it made it worth the long round.

The benefit of my years efforts is there is always someone in the bar now to buy me a drink :-)

I like to play with newbie golfers when they know when to pick up the ball and move along. I'm all for new guys getting on the course and empathetic when they aren't doing well,but I also rather not play a 5-6 hour round, because newbie doesn't know when to pick up and putts it 15 time tee to green with his 7 iron.

It is fun. I’ve only been playing about 3 years now, but quite a few friends recently picked it up. Nothing quite like the excitement of the very first GIR, Par, Birdie, and Eagle. My first birdie was pure luck but so exciting. Thin an uphill shot on a par 5, it bounces off the hill in front of me and lands on the green. Eagle putt ends up short, make the birdie