Carl's Golfland had a major security breach.

Putting this here since this is the most active forum and this directly affects us. Carl's Golfland had a major security breach. The person got everyone's credit card, CVC, mailing addresses, billing addresses, and emails, if you ever ordered from them. They got EVERYTHING. They have enough information to really screw our lives up.

Thanks for the Heads Up!!!

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5* @ 8.5* - Fuji Blue Velocore+ 6s  tipped 1"

2021 Callaway UW 17* & 21* - Fuji Red Ventus Velocore 7X
Callaway Apex TCB  4-pw - Steelfiber i110cw S hard stepped 1"  &  BStone J15CBs 4-pw - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120x

Callaway Jaws Forged TI red dots 52@50/56@55/60*& Jaws Raw Z grind 60*z, DG TI S400

2021 Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K DW & 2021 Eleven slant neck
Ball: 2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X -tested, great feel & spin!

> @"Frankensteins Monster" said:

> Putting this here since this is the most active forum and this directly affects us. Carl's Golfland had a major security breach. The person got everyone's credit card, CVC, mailing addresses, billing addresses, and emails, if you ever ordered from them. They got EVERYTHING. They have enough information to really screw our lives up.

As long as they didn't get anything overly sensitive like SSN numbers, of which Carl's wouldnt have of course, a breach like this is very manageable, and in fact very minor to be honest. Fraud and identity theft monitoring is pretty much standard now with every credit card company, and all credit card companies I know of have fraudulent purchase protection, meaning you aren't liable for any purchases made without your authorization. Simply check your card balances on a daily basis. If you are worried about a card you have that was exposed, simply have the card swapped out with new numbers by your credit card company.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @"Frankensteins Monster" said:

> > Putting this here since this is the most active forum and this directly affects us. Carl's Golfland had a major security breach. The person got everyone's credit card, CVC, mailing addresses, billing addresses, and emails, if you ever ordered from them. They got EVERYTHING. They have enough information to really screw our lives up.

>

> As long as they didn't anything overly sensitive like SSN numbers, of which Carl's wouldnt have of course, a breach like this is very manageable, and in fact very minor to be honest. Fraud and identity theft monitoring is pretty much standard now with every credit card company, and all credit card companies I know of have fraudulent purchase protection, meaning you aren't liable for any purchases made without your authorization. Simply check your card balances on a daily basis. If you are worried about a card you have that was exposed, simply have the card swapped out with new numbers by your credit card company.

thanks for this!.. it's the hustle of it all that folks try to avoid. Used to take months, years to clear this issue with creditors and like

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > Putting this here since this is the most active forum and this directly affects us. Carl's Golfland had a major security breach. The person got everyone's credit card, CVC, mailing addresses, billing addresses, and emails, if you ever ordered from them. They got EVERYTHING. They have enough information to really screw our lives up.

>

> As long as they didn't anything overly sensitive like SSN numbers, of which Carl's wouldnt have of course, a breach like this is very manageable, and in fact very minor to be honest. Fraud and identity theft monitoring is pretty much standard now with every credit card company, and all credit card companies I know of have fraudulent purchase protection, meaning you aren't liable for any purchases made without your authorization. Simply check your card balances on a daily basis. If you are worried about a card you have that was exposed, simply have the card swapped out with new numbers by your credit card company.

Social security numbers don't have to be used for numerous forms of gaining credit, and credit cards are some of them. With the information taken, someone can easily call a credit card company and change the mailing address, and email address, of the account. This is a little bit more than "minor."

> @JaNelson38 said:

>

We had two fraudulent charges on our Discover bill a few months back. We called Discover and told them that neither my wife nor I made the purchase, they took off the charges and sent us new cards. Easy.

Turns out there is a gas station across the state line from where we live that is notorious for those skimmer things on the pumps. I do my best to never use that station any longer as a result.

Right after a Carl's order I got hit with 4 fraudulent charges totalling over $6k. Had all the alerts set and shut down the card within minutes. Two more charges were in the queue when I got off the phone with the credit card folks. Suspected it had something to do with Carl's at the time, but did not know for sure.

>Social security numbers don't have to be used for numerous forms of gaining credit, and credit cards are some of them. With the information taken, someone can easily call a credit card company and change the mailing address, and email address, of the account. This is a little bit more than "minor."

There is no form of credit I know of that you can obtain without giving your social security number. Your SSN is the one piece of identification used by pretty much every bank and credit reporting agency to determine who you are. No bank will lend credit to anyone without it. Credit cards are all held by banks.

There are anti-fraud procedures in place whenever someone wants to change the address of anyone on an account. You can't just call up a place and have your address changed on the spot.

If you're worried about a card that was exposed in this breach, do like I said before...call your credit card company and have them send a new card with new numbers. That's really all there is to it. Trust me, as someone who has suffered from fraudulent charges in the past...someone getting an address off a credit card file is nothing. Banks get that legally every day from soft pulls on credit reports...which is why people get those credit card ads in the mail every day. Addresses and card numbers being exposed are minor. SSN numbers being exposed is what you need to worry about and pay attention to.

> @smashdn said:

> > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > @"Frankensteins Monster" said:

> > > Putting this here since this is the most active forum and this directly affects us. Carl's Golfland had a major security breach. The person got everyone's credit card, CVC, mailing addresses, billing addresses, and emails, if you ever ordered from them. They got EVERYTHING. They have enough information to really screw our lives up.

> >

> > As long as they didn't anything overly sensitive like SSN numbers, of which Carl's wouldnt have of course, a breach like this is very manageable, and in fact very minor to be honest. Fraud and identity theft monitoring is pretty much standard now with every credit card company, and all credit card companies I know of have fraudulent purchase protection, meaning you aren't liable for any purchases made without your authorization. Simply check your card balances on a daily basis. If you are worried about a card you have that was exposed, simply have the card swapped out with new numbers by your credit card company.

>

> We had two fraudulent charges on our Discover bill a few months back. We called Discover and told them that neither my wife nor I made the purchase, they took off the charges and sent us new cards. Easy.

>

> Turns out there is a gas station across the state line from where we live that is notorious for those skimmer things on the pumps. I do my best to never use that station any longer as a result.

Yep, it really is easy to do. Getting a fraudulent charge is scary at first, and it can be a bit annoying as far has having to call and get new cards and having to wait for them in the mail, but it really is an easy process. Its getting to the point now where if you HAVEN'T had a fraudulent transaction on your credit card, you're in the minority.

Many credit card companies now will send alerts out to you if a charge is made that is suspected to be fraudulent. They really want to get ahead of any possible fraudulent activity in order to keep your trust as a customer.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @smashdn said:

> > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > > @"Frankensteins Monster" said:

> > > > Putting this here since this is the most active forum and this directly affects us. Carl's Golfland had a major security breach. The person got everyone's credit card, CVC, mailing addresses, billing addresses, and emails, if you ever ordered from them. They got EVERYTHING. They have enough information to really screw our lives up.

> > >

> > > As long as they didn't anything overly sensitive like SSN numbers, of which Carl's wouldnt have of course, a breach like this is very manageable, and in fact very minor to be honest. Fraud and identity theft monitoring is pretty much standard now with every credit card company, and all credit card companies I know of have fraudulent purchase protection, meaning you aren't liable for any purchases made without your authorization. Simply check your card balances on a daily basis. If you are worried about a card you have that was exposed, simply have the card swapped out with new numbers by your credit card company.

> >

> > We had two fraudulent charges on our Discover bill a few months back. We called Discover and told them that neither my wife nor I made the purchase, they took off the charges and sent us new cards. Easy.

> >

> > Turns out there is a gas station across the state line from where we live that is notorious for those skimmer things on the pumps. I do my best to never use that station any longer as a result.

>

> Yep, it really is easy to do. Getting a fraudulent charge is scary at first, and it can be a bit annoying as far has having to call and get new cards and having to wait for them in the mail, but it really is an easy process. Its getting to the point now where if you HAVEN'T had a fraudulent transaction on your credit card, you're in the minority.

>

> Many credit card companies now will send alerts out to you if a charge is made that is suspected to be fraudulent. They really want to get ahead of any possible fraudulent activity in order to keep your trust as a customer.

Actually it isn't always easy. I had to fill in a questionaire sent to me from the credit card company certifying the date of the last proper charge and attesting that all charges after that date were fraudulent. I had to return that affidavit in the mail by a certain date or the charges would not be reversed. By the time I received the questionaire, I only had a few days to return it. Luckily I was here when the mail came, filled everything out, and got it back in the mail for the next days pickup. I received a letter a couple weeks later that "graciously" informed me that the charges would remain reversed. It cases like this where the purchases includes all the proper information (cc #, CVI #, billing address) the credit card companies aren't all that sure you aren't the scammer.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> >Social security numbers don't have to be used for numerous forms of gaining credit, and credit cards are some of them. With the information taken, someone can easily call a credit card company and change the mailing address, and email address, of the account. This is a little bit more than "minor."

>

> There is no form of credit I know of that you can obtain without giving your social security number. Your SSN is the one piece of identification used by pretty much every bank and credit reporting agency to determine who you are. No bank will lend credit to anyone without it. Credit cards are all held by banks.

>

> There are anti-fraud procedures in place whenever someone wants to change the address of anyone on an account. You can't just call up a place and have your address changed on the spot.

>

> If you're worried about a card that was exposed in this breach, do like I said before...call your credit card company and have them send a new card with new numbers. That's really all there is to it. Trust me, as someone who has suffered from fraudulent charges in the past...someone getting an address off a credit card file is nothing. Banks get that legally every day from soft pulls on credit reports...which is why people get those credit card ads in the mail every day. Addresses and card numbers being exposed are minor. SSN numbers being exposed is what you need to worry about and pay attention to.

>

There are retail stores that accept applications without a SS# or a TIN number.

You can absolutely change address by calling the credit card company using just the account number and original address.

I can handle credit breach, I have in the past, but it's not simple. It takes time. What happened here was a complete breakdown of customer security. The fact that CVC's were attained in the breach is mind boggling. They should not be stored anywhere by them.

> @ChillyDipper said:

> Put them in the sin bin with the other perps: Equifax (SSN's), Target, Facebook, Capital One, Mitch McConnell. Nothing is safe anymore. Those old ladies doing their banking from a chequebook are probably the only ones who haven't lost their personal information.

What's Mitch McConnell's name doing in there??

> @tiderider said:

> i literally believe hackers should be shot ...

Or hung from the yard arm. And left for the birds to pick clean.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @JaNelson38 said:

> Yep, it really is easy to do. Getting a fraudulent charge is scary at first, and it can be a bit annoying as far has having to call and get new cards and having to wait for them in the mail, but it really is an easy process. Its getting to the point now where if you HAVEN'T had a fraudulent transaction on your credit card, you're in the minority.

>

> Many credit card companies now will send alerts out to you if a charge is made that is suspected to be fraudulent. They really want to get ahead of any possible fraudulent activity in order to keep your trust as a customer.

Couple years back I was traveling for work and they had not given me a travel card yet. I put a bunch of stuff on my personal card and Discover actually locked my account while I was standing at the rental car desk in Cleveland. That took a bit to get it back on and working. Now when we travel we just call Discover ahead of time and let them know where we are headed so they can expect charges from a weird origin.

> Putting this here since this is the most active forum and this directly affects us. Carl's Golfland had a major security breach. The person got everyone's credit card, CVC, mailing addresses, billing addresses, and emails, if you ever ordered from them. They got EVERYTHING. They have enough information to really screw our lives up.

Nobody should be storing CVC/CVV numbers!!!

We use a Citi MasterCard for online activity. They offer virtual numbers that are limited as to dollars, time, vendor, and number of uses. I’m often too lazy to take the extra minute to get one before checking out on a site. I need to get un-lazy about it.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

The day I got the email from Carl's and checked the card I used there and it had several pending charges to The Children's Place (which I have never shopped there). I froze the card and then called in to cancel it. That card is primarily the one I use for online purchases so no big deal, but definitely annoying.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I always pay with PayPal when I buy at Carl's.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Upon reading the title to this thread, my first thought was "didn't I buy something from Carl's recently?" I checked my email and realized that I ordered from them last night. But, like most new retailers that I buy from, I used Paypal. I've had my credit card compromised multiple times. But, I always caught it quickly and the credit card company immediately removed fraudulent charges.

There are two things that I suggest when making online purchases using cards. First, check with your card provider to see what kind of communication options they have. I get an email from Chase (the bank of my primary credit card) every time that a charge is made to my account from a gas station or when the card isn't present (online, mail or phone charges). That second one is why there has never been a time when I didn't notice the problem the same day that it occurred.

Second, is that you should never use a debit card when making online purchases. Even though the cards are issued by the same banks that issue credit cards, you don't have the same legal rights if a debit card is compromised as you do if a credit card is compromised. Most banks do currently make good on your account. But, they aren't legally required to as they are with fraudulent credit card charges.