2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Spotted - New PXG blades - May 2019

> @DatSliceDoe said:

> > @Laznasty said:

> > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > Anyone paying full price for these ought to have their head examined. Or their wallet. May as well hand that over.

> > They need their head examined because you wouldn't buy them? Great diagnosis doc.

>

> > @snagy2000 said:

> > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > Anyone paying full price for these ought to have their head examined. Or their wallet. May as well hand that over.

> >

> > It's their wallet...Best you worry about yours and let them worry about theirs...#KeepInYourLane

>

> I have my opinion, you have yours. Spend all you want. It is clearly such a niche product anyhow. However PXG has collectively dragged the market pricing UP across the board that grinds my gears. TM releasing a $1700 set should alarm anyone.

> @Snax said:

> > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > @Laznasty said:

> > > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > > Anyone paying full price for these ought to have their head examined. Or their wallet. May as well hand that over.

> > > They need their head examined because you wouldn't buy them? Great diagnosis doc.

> >

> > > @snagy2000 said:

> > > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > > Anyone paying full price for these ought to have their head examined. Or their wallet. May as well hand that over.

> > >

> > > It's their wallet...Best you worry about yours and let them worry about theirs...#KeepInYourLane

> >

> > I have my opinion, you have yours. Spend all you want. It is clearly such a niche product anyhow. However PXG has collectively dragged the market pricing UP across the board that grinds my gears. TM releasing a $1700 set should alarm anyone.

>

> I think you could also argue they dragged the quality up as well. People aren’t all of a sudden paying $1700 for a set that would’ve otherwise been $900 in the absence of PXG.

A few years ago $900 would buy you a very nice set that I bet would be a few yards shorter and perhaps not as cool looking as today's clubs. The market has certainly changed dramatically since I left the industry in 2014.

I believe quality comes down to consistency of the manufacturing process and design elements that stand the test of time. I remember when Yoro irons or Itobori were considered very expensive clubs. They were handcrafted by some of the best golf artisans in the world. Now, those are considered mid tier price range compared to things like PXG, TM P790Ti, Callyway Epic Forged all cost far more for mass produced, primarily cast clubs with insane lofts. CNC milling and injectable designs are all the rage. Even Tiger is on board this train for his own personal reasons which are actually pretty understandable for someone who can literally tell if a club is 2 grams too heavy or light, or has a bubble under the grip tape. Most players don't have that perception, and should spend their money on clubs they hit every single hole like driver or putter. Or better yet, lessons, or more golf!

I'll continue to defend a market where lower priced goods are better for the average player. Perhaps some of this tech will trickle down into lower priced clubs and benefit the average player's budget...but the manufacturing processes don't lend themselves to mass production at affordable scale. I liken it to a supercar with a carbon fiber monocoque design. You won't be seeing that trickle down into your average family soccer hauler anytime soon.

> @DatSliceDoe said:

> > @Snax said:

> > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > > @Laznasty said:

> > > > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > > > Anyone paying full price for these ought to have their head examined. Or their wallet. May as well hand that over.

> > > > They need their head examined because you wouldn't buy them? Great diagnosis doc.

> > >

> > > > @snagy2000 said:

> > > > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > > > Anyone paying full price for these ought to have their head examined. Or their wallet. May as well hand that over.

> > > >

> > > > It's their wallet...Best you worry about yours and let them worry about theirs...#KeepInYourLane

> > >

> > > I have my opinion, you have yours. Spend all you want. It is clearly such a niche product anyhow. However PXG has collectively dragged the market pricing UP across the board that grinds my gears. TM releasing a $1700 set should alarm anyone.

> >

> > I think you could also argue they dragged the quality up as well. People aren’t all of a sudden paying $1700 for a set that would’ve otherwise been $900 in the absence of PXG.

>

> A few years ago $900 would buy you a very nice set that I bet would be a few yards shorter and perhaps not as cool looking as today's clubs. The market has certainly changed dramatically since I left the industry in 2014.

>

> I believe quality comes down to consistency of the manufacturing process and design elements that stand the test of time. I remember when Yoro irons or Itobori were considered very expensive clubs. They were handcrafted by some of the best golf artisans in the world. Now, those are considered mid tier price range compared to things like PXG, TM P790Ti, Callyway Epic Forged all cost far more for mass produced, primarily cast clubs with insane lofts. CNC milling and injectable designs are all the rage. Even Tiger is on board this train for his own personal reasons which are actually pretty understandable for someone who can literally tell if a club is 2 grams too heavy or light, or has a bubble under the grip tape. Most players don't have that perception, and should spend their money on clubs they hit every single hole like driver or putter. Or better yet, lessons, or more golf!

>

> I'll continue to defend a market where lower priced goods are better for the average player. Perhaps some of this tech will trickle down into lower priced clubs and benefit the average player's budget...but the manufacturing processes don't lend themselves to mass production at affordable scale. I liken it to a supercar with a carbon fiber monocoque design. You won't be seeing that trickle down into your average family soccer hauler anytime soon.

You all seem like the old man standing in front yard yelling at the clouds. If you want a set or have a price point of $900, then shop a set in that price range. But don’t sit here and belittle multiple companies who continue to create new products, and those people who buy them, because the price point is too high for you.

Profit is not a dirty word, and these companies are not charities. If people won’t pay the market price, the price will fall or the product will cease to exist.

$650 per iron?

How can anyone that wealthy have the time to play blades?

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

> @ago33 said:

> $650 per iron?

>

> How can anyone that wealthy have the time to play blades?

Easy, it's called "hiring the right people"

Also, all the people crying about the price point......(megaphone on) THESE IRONS ARENT MARKETED TO YOU SO STOP COMPLAINING! (megaphone off). Head to the local golf store and see if you can get a set of apex cf16s with DG XP95s for 300 bucks on final blow outs.

Had gen 1s, have gen 2s now, and will get these. Why? Cause I can.......

And if I couldn't afford them, I wouldn't be complaining about how much they are. I just dont understand all the whining and moaning about 650/club.......move along.

• Like 1

Golf clubs are not unique in the increasing price point. When I left cycling 8 years ago a top of the line off the rack bike was $3,000 dollars. That would buy you a race ready excellent bike. I walked into a bike shop the other day and they had $12,000 bikes on the rack. The cheapest they had, race ready, was over $6,000.

PXG is not in and of itself driving the club industry into higher prices. Its just the way it is. Things get more expensive. You don't need to buy at that price point. Its a decision you can make.

• Like 1

I’ll break it down like this. They’re $650 a club because they’re CNC milled. The only advantage of CNC milling is weight tolerance, every iron will be the same. Unless you’re Tiger and can feel the difference between two or three grams of head weight, this does nothing for you. Other than that there is nothing here that the MP 20 won’t have. They look sick and will make you the cool guy for a few weeks at your club, but they likely won’t lower your scores. Not to mention they’re 8620 steel, meaning they likely will not feel as soft as a Mizuno.

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

> @golfinguru11 said:

> I’ll break it down like this. They’re $650 a club because they’re CNC milled. The only advantage of CNC milling is weight tolerance, every iron will be the same. Unless you’re Tiger and can feel the difference between two or three grams of head weight, this does nothing for you. Other than that there is nothing here that the MP 20 won’t have. They look sick and will make you the cool guy for a few weeks at your club, but they likely won’t lower your scores. Not to mention they’re 8620 steel, meaning they likely will not feel as soft as a Mizuno.

Blah...blah...blah...cool guy at my club..im in...blah..blah...blah...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons/0311st

Well, they’re for sale. And my dumb a** wants them. 6- PW @ $3300 is absurd though.

Lefty

> @denvergolf said:

> > @golfinguru11 said:

> > https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons/0311st

> >

> > Well, they’re for sale. And my dumb a** wants them. 6- PW @ $3300 is absurd though.

>

> Buy some blueprints, P7TW and some Titleist blades.

>

>

No lefty P7TW, tried the blueprints and didn’t love them. mizunos and titleist are the likely choice.

• Like 1

Lefty

> @golfinguru11 said:

> https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons/0311st

>

> Well, they’re for sale. And my dumb a** wants them. 6- PW @ $3300 is absurd though.

Well if I could still hit a blade my dumba$$ would have them for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

High price? Ya. Worth it? Not at all. Good looking? Ya. Does that justify the price? Nope. Do I like PXG? Sure. Does that make these irons worth it? Still no. What am I going to do about it? Point and laugh at you for spending that much and sucking with them.

You little girls care to much about what people think with the clubs you buy. If you shank it with the XF version then you’ll shank it with this version.

> @snagy2000 said:

> > @Tourplaya21 said:

> > If PXG were priced competitively I would most certainly purchase.

>

> But then they would be just an ordinary OEM and not PXG....

IMO their styling is very attractive to me, not just because they cost 1.5x everything else.

Cobra F8+ Driver Cobra F8 3-4 Wood Nike VR Pro Combo 3-P Nike VR Pro X3X 52, 56, 60 Cleveland 2i Putter

> @snagy2000 said:

> > @Tourplaya21 said:

> > If PXG were priced competitively I would most certainly purchase.

>

> But then they would be just an ordinary OEM and not PXG....

No they wouldn't, they would be PXG.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Hit them today. Felt like a really nice blade. The PXG rep only had the 7 iron. I would say that they are slightly more forgiving than a traditional blade (Titleist MB). But they are still a blade. Very compact and a nice thin top-line.

Ball flight was lower than the PXG “P” version. I play the original PXG iron - pre “P” designation. Like other blades, poor swings will result in distance loss. I didn’t hit enough to get reliable TrackMan data.

I could easily play these things. Certainly in the scoring irons. 3 and 4 irons could be more of a challenge. In the end, my current PXG irons are probably much more forgiving and I already own them :).

> @golfinguru11 said:

> I’ll break it down like this. They’re $650 a club because they’re CNC milled. The only advantage of CNC milling is weight tolerance, every iron will be the same. Unless you’re Tiger and can feel the difference between two or three grams of head weight, this does nothing for you. Other than that there is nothing here that the MP 20 won’t have. They look sick and will make you the cool guy for a few weeks at your club, but they likely won’t lower your scores. Not to mention they’re 8620 steel, meaning they likely will not feel as soft as a Mizuno.

It is funny that people throw out 8620 as a knock. It has the exact same hardness as 1020. You literally cannot tell the difference in feel between the two. 8620 is just an alloy... Much of feel has a lot more going on than just the metal used. Head shape, design, where mass is located, etc all come into play.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @SM8 said:

> That’s how I felt when I had an original flip phone, then that %#%# company came out with the iPhone. Haven’t been able to buy a new phone for less than $700 ever since

Except that the iPhone had groundbreaking tech (touch screen, internet access, gps, email etc) where PXG are just pings with a bunch of screws and an elitist attitude.

> @musclefront said:

> > @SM8 said:

> > That’s how I felt when I had an original flip phone, then that %#%# company came out with the iPhone. Haven’t been able to buy a new phone for less than $700 ever since

>

> Except that the iPhone had groundbreaking tech (touch screen, internet access, gps, email etc) where PXG are just pings with a bunch of screws and an elitist attitude.

Say what you will about their clubs, kind of tough to be groundbreaking with a hunk of metal. The screws are an advancement in iron technology, how much is a debate. “elitist attitude” is a bit of a stretch. I think the Heroes program and their school programs alone completely go against anything an “elitist” would do.

• Like 1

Great looking, would love to hit them. It’s no different than a car, bike, etc. Shop within a budget that is right for you and if your budget allows for it and they are the best fit, go for it! I love the look of PXG and appreciate they do something different than the average company. Maybe I don’t know enough PXG guys but know enough people with nice equipment that aren’t elitist jerks. Play golf and be happy!