JPX 919 Forged...hard to believe they perform better than the JPX 900 Forged

Whit1969

Ok all of you JPX fans out there. I absolutely love my JPX 900 forged, but I am really interested in the JPX 919 Forged. The lofts on the JPX 919 forged are more in line with smaller gaps than the JPX 900 and they have went with a completely different sole design by going away from the pre-ground leading edge and they seem larger out on the toe. I have hit them indoors only and have not hit them off of grass or had them on the course to try out. Who of you have made the switch to the 919 Forged and how are they performing for you? With the loft gaps more in line in the 919s I am even somewhat interested in a combo set of 919 Forged/919 Tours.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

I hit the 919 tours 48 hrs ago with recoils in them and the feel was awesome

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I have a combo set of 919 Forged and Tours (Forged 6 & 5). I didn’t have the 900 Forged set previously, but did buy a 7 iron to get a feel for them.

Absolutely love this set, and shot my lowest ever 9 with them last week.

My perspective:

> Didn’t really like the 900F. I think the 919F is a significant step up. Feels better, and for some reason I just hit it better.

> I prefer hitting the 919 Tours and am very glad they are my ‘scoring’ clubs, but the Forged are very useful at the higher end of the bag as my swing speed is decent, but not ‘WRX decent.

> Tours sound better, look better, with no perceived disadvantages for a mid capper like me at the lower end of the bag. Both T&F spin well for me, though. I don’t feel like I lose spin control at all with the Forged at the upper end of the bag.

Had the 900F's for a year and have had the 919F's for about 6-8 months. Much prefer the 919F's. In my experience, granted we are talking PX LZ vs Modus 105, the 919F's felt smoother, launched higher and were slightly more forgiving than the 900's.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

I played the 900F the majority of last season and loved them. Tied my career low 69 with them. So what did I do? In WRX fashion, sold them. Then wanted them back and couldn't find them anymore so I got a set of 919F. I like them equally as well, but haven't used them that long. They seem more forgiving to me.

That being said, I just ordered 919T's and waiting their arrival. Want something a little better looking at address.

> @Ripper859 said:

> I do not own the 919 but have hit them numerous times. I like the 919 less. They seem larger and chunkier in the sole and top line.

Funny, I think the opposite; 900F is large and chunky compared to the 919F. And the sole of the 919F is miles better thru the turf for me.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

The 900F were a weird club because they had a smaller forged head, but the same lofts as the 900HM. When I was being fit, I hit both and had more ball speed, a higher launch, and more spin off the 900HM. In the 919 series the weakened the lofts of the 919F and strengthened the lofts of the 919HM, this puts some separation between the clubs and now there's more of a reason to go to the forged other than look and "feel".

The 919F is a step up in technology with the back-milled face - lots of info on the web. Switched to them from the 900F and glad I did: a hair longer, more forgiving, and better feel. Also had gone from the Modus 105 to 120, and to a softer ball (TM Project A & TP5 from Nike RZN Platinum), and it’s all been for the better. Just have not played as much thanks to all the cool, wet weather in the NE, but looking forward to making up for that. Mizuno definitely hit it out of the park with the 919 line and the 190 woods.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

h5ukh2hcw69p.jpeg

> @noodle3872 said:

> > @Ripper859 said:

> > I do not own the 919 but have hit them numerous times. I like the 919 less. They seem larger and chunkier in the sole and top line.

>

> Funny, I think the opposite; 900F is large and chunky compared to the 919F. And the sole of the 919F is miles better thru the turf for me.

>

How is that chunkier? Topline is also thinner.

Seems the lofts of the 919 make for better combo sets. But is there a big jump in offset going from the 919 tours to the forged? Would maybe go HM for the 4i, so same question there..

G430 Max 9* - Ventus Blue 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

T20 50*

Jaws Raw 54 & 59*
Versa 7
Tour B X

> @thigos said:

> Seems the lofts of the 919 make for better combo sets. But is there a big jump in offset going from the 919 tours to the forged? Would maybe go HM for the 4i, so same question there..

I have 919 T PW thru 7, 919F 6 & 5 and a HM4

I find the offset change more obvious moving from T to F than I do moving F to HM.

Having said that I thought the offset on the F would really bother me, but I’ve largely found it to be a non-issue, save for the dreaded overdraw with the F & HM when my swing’s off.

> @Ripper859 said:

> I do not own the 919 but have hit them numerous times. I like the 919 less. They seem larger and chunkier in the sole and top line.

I actually aggre with ya. I think the 900 forged was the best looking JPX forged offering mizuno has made. I really liked the sole grinds on the 900 as well. As always, a new jpx forged comes out, game it for a month or less, then back to my MPs. One of these years I'll stick with a set..... maybe!

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered a set of the 919 Forged today with C-Taper lite. Really looking forward to getting them.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

> @Whit1969 said:

> Ok all of you JPX fans out there. I absolutely love my JPX 900 forged, but I am really interested in the JPX 919 Forged. The lofts on the JPX 919 forged are more in line with smaller gaps than the JPX 900 and they have went with a completely different sole design by going away from the pre-ground leading edge and they seem larger out on the toe. I have hit them indoors only and have not hit them off of grass or had them on the course to try out. Who of you have made the switch to the 919 Forged and how are they performing for you? With the loft gaps more in line in the 919s I am even somewhat interested in a combo set of 919 Forged/919 Tours.

I tried the Forged out for a month and they felt clicky and harsh. I was playing TM P770 and they felt softer, I'm now back to my MP-32 irons.

• 2 weeks later...

>

> I tried the Forged out for a month and they felt clicky and harsh. I was playing TM P770 and they felt softer, I'm now back to my MP-32 irons.

I have played mne for two rounds and love the feel and sound. Of course I'm coming from the PING G410, so there's that ?

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

> @jetmech879 said:

> > @Ripper859 said:

> > I do not own the 919 but have hit them numerous times. I like the 919 less. They seem larger and chunkier in the sole and top line.

>

> I actually aggre with ya. I think the 900 forged was the best looking JPX forged offering mizuno has made. I really liked the sole grinds on the 900 as well. As always, a new jpx forged comes out, game it for a month or less, then back to my MPs. One of these years I'll stick with a set..... maybe!

Agree. And then traded them for some 716 AP2s. Who knows how long these will last...

Personally I do not think the JPX Tours are any easier or more forgiving than the MP 18 blades in the long irons. The JPX Tours in reality are a blade iron. They are really nice clubs but if you are looking for added forgiveness in your long irons, I do not think they are going to provide much in that department. The JPX Forged however are fantastic long irons that offer plenty of forgiveness in a players CB if there really is such a thing.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning some rust inside the cavity for the 4-7 irons? I can't seem to find a brush thin enough to get into the narrow opening. Thanks in advance.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

> @Whit1969 said:

> Personally I do not think the JPX Tours are any easier or more forgiving than the MP 18 blades in the long irons. The JPX Tours in reality are a blade iron. They are really nice clubs but if you are looking for added forgiveness in your long irons, I do not think they are going to provide much in that department. The JPX Forged however are fantastic long irons that offer plenty of forgiveness in a players CB if there really is such a thing.

Mizuno claimed they were about as forgiving as the MP18 SC. Considering that they killed the SC for the MP20 line because the difference between it and the blade were too small, I think the forgiveness of the JPX 919 Tour and MP18 blade was probably very small.

> @arbeck said:

> > @Whit1969 said:

> > Personally I do not think the JPX Tours are any easier or more forgiving than the MP 18 blades in the long irons. The JPX Tours in reality are a blade iron. They are really nice clubs but if you are looking for added forgiveness in your long irons, I do not think they are going to provide much in that department. The JPX Forged however are fantastic long irons that offer plenty of forgiveness in a players CB if there really is such a thing.

>

> Mizuno claimed they were about as forgiving as the MP18 SC. Considering that they killed the SC for the MP20 line because the difference between it and the blade were too small, I think the forgiveness of the JPX 919 Tour and MP18 blade was probably very small.

They are close for sure but the jpx is 3mm longer in blade length than the mp18 mb. Just a little friendlier to hit.

> @Kay_Jay said:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning some rust inside the cavity for the 4-7 irons? I can't seem to find a brush thin enough to get into the narrow opening. Thanks in advance.

Try a Q tip with some WD40 on it. Should do the trick.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I went 900F to 919F to P790 and quickly back to 919F. The 919F are not quite as long as the P790 but they offer to me a consistent ball flight that I can predict the shot shape into the greens or to the targets where I was never sharp with P790. I also feel the sharper leading edge of the 919F vs the 900F for me is much better in terms of ball striking accuracy. 919F just cuts through anything I swing through and the added slot in the 4-7 irons is just insurance mentally for any type of mishits. I can’t say enough about the 919F. I kind of don’t want to hit the HMB’s as I love these so much.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

> @evoviiiyou said:

> I went 900F to 919F to P790 and quickly back to 919F. The 919F are not quite as long as the P790 but they offer to me a consistent ball flight that I can predict the shot shape into the greens or to the targets where I was never sharp with P790. I also feel the sharper leading edge of the 919F vs the 900F for me is much better in terms of ball striking accuracy. 919F just cuts through anything I swing through and the added slot in the 4-7 irons is just insurance mentally for any type of mishits. I can’t say enough about the 919F. I kind of don’t want to hit the HMB’s as I love these so much.

Love the 919F, but trying the HMB's in the next week or so anyway. May just end up with two sets...

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

• 3 months later...