2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

USKG yardages

My son played hist first tournament with the new tee system last weekend. Boys 11 at 4800 yards was indeed very short. He's not a long hitter by any means, but lot of the holes were driver + wedge. Our alternative at a different tour would be at 6200 yards, so not really looking in that direction for now.

I do like the new tee markers, however, which are number systems instead of color.

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> My son played this past weekend. Course setup plays very short now. Driver/8i (and shorter) are now the norm on par 4s, and par 5s are reachable in 2 for reasonably long hitters.

>

> If I had to guess, Priority Status Level 11 will be needed to get into Worlds for competitive age groups.

11? I think you are being a bit extreme, that would mean every kid at worlds is breaking par on their local tour. That is a bit extreme I think. I could see 9 or 10 but I think 11 is pushing it.

So much depends on how the local tour director sets up their courses. Over the years we’ve played 3 different local tours, with a total of 4 different local tour directors. Some were spot on with the US kids yardage recommendations, others were pretty far off-? i.e. really long or really short par 3’s. Some yardage matchs the card exactly to the yard, while we’ve seen others way off by as much as 40 yards.

> My son played this past weekend. Course setup plays very short now. Driver/8i (and shorter) are now the norm on par 4s, and par 5s are reachable in 2 for reasonably long hitters.

>

> If I had to guess, Priority Status Level 11 will be needed to get into Worlds for competitive age groups.

USKG says they anticipate Level 10 and above in the 18 hole boys divisions. Will be lower than that in the younger divisions and girls divisions.

I only say level 11 because it seems like the courses play 3-4 shots (at least) easier from the shorter distances. Multiple kids can now qualify from a single Local Tour - just have to meet the scoring requirement twice (and play 4 tournaments).

Having to win a Local Tour to get Burgundy status was tedious, and I know some people would travel great distances to play on Tours far away just to be able to win it. Now those families can just play on the Local Tour most convenient to them, and focus on making the desired score needed. This in turn will result in increased turnout.

I think the new setup means more good players will get higher status and be able to qualify (getting earlier invites) for Worlds.

> I only say level 11 because it seems like the courses play 3-4 shots (at least) easier from the shorter distances. Multiple kids can now qualify from a single Local Tour - just have to meet the scoring requirement twice (and play 4 tournaments).

>

> Having to win a Local Tour to get Burgundy status was tedious, and I know some people would travel great distances to play on Tours far away just to be able to win it. Now those families can just play on the Local Tour most convenient to them, and focus on making the desired score needed. This in turn will result in increased turnout.

>

> I think the new setup means more good players will get higher status and be able to qualify (getting earlier invites) for Worlds.

Is it just meeting the scoring requirement twice or is it a scoring average? Feasibly your kid could shoot 71 / 98 / 71 / 179 and make it in at level 11?

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > I only say level 11 because it seems like the courses play 3-4 shots (at least) easier from the shorter distances. Multiple kids can now qualify from a single Local Tour - just have to meet the scoring requirement twice (and play 4 tournaments).

> >

> > Having to win a Local Tour to get Burgundy status was tedious, and I know some people would travel great distances to play on Tours far away just to be able to win it. Now those families can just play on the Local Tour most convenient to them, and focus on making the desired score needed. This in turn will result in increased turnout.

> >

> > I think the new setup means more good players will get higher status and be able to qualify (getting earlier invites) for Worlds.

>

> Is it just meeting the scoring requirement twice or is it a scoring average? Feasibly your kid could shoot 71 / 98 / 71 / 179 and make it in at level 11?

Scoring twice, not average. I still think 11 is a bit much as breaking par is still going to be challenge. I think 9/10 is definitely feasible though.

> @leezer99 said:

> > I only say level 11 because it seems like the courses play 3-4 shots (at least) easier from the shorter distances. Multiple kids can now qualify from a single Local Tour - just have to meet the scoring requirement twice (and play 4 tournaments).

> >

> > Having to win a Local Tour to get Burgundy status was tedious, and I know some people would travel great distances to play on Tours far away just to be able to win it. Now those families can just play on the Local Tour most convenient to them, and focus on making the desired score needed. This in turn will result in increased turnout.

> >

> > I think the new setup means more good players will get higher status and be able to qualify (getting earlier invites) for Worlds.

>

> Is it just meeting the scoring requirement twice or is it a scoring average? Feasibly your kid could shoot 71 / 98 / 71 / 179 and make it in at level 11?

https://uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/player-info/priority-status

Local Tours

Scoring requirement must be met two (2) times within the same Local Tour season

Must play in four (4) events or more within the same Local Tour season

​2 & 3 Day Events

Players must meet the scoring requirement two (2) times within the same U.S. Kids Golf event

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> The biggest change I see is 10 year old boys will not be nearly such a task. Before 10 year old boys jumped from 1900 to 2500, which combined with the new requirements, was going to be a pretty tough ask for a lot of kids. The drop to 2100 will make it much more manageable.

This is one of the reasons I think Level 11 is possible as a cutoff: shooting 36 from 2100 yards for 9 holes twice out of 6 tournaments does not seem nearly as difficult.

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > The biggest change I see is 10 year old boys will not be nearly such a task. Before 10 year old boys jumped from 1900 to 2500, which combined with the new requirements, was going to be a pretty tough ask for a lot of kids. The drop to 2100 will make it much more manageable.

>

> This is one of the reasons I think Level 11 is possible as a cutoff: shooting 36 from 2100 yards for 9 holes twice out of 6 tournaments does not seem nearly as difficult.

I don't know, I still see filling out a 120+ field that they will have to accept a little over par (9 an 10); however, I could be wrong. Will be interesting to see! I am just glad 10 doesn't feel like such a nasty expectation to try to grab one of the high statuses now.

It will depend on the age group. As the kids get older, it becomes more and more difficult to get status for invitations.

Looking at this year and last years invitation, boys 9 and up needed burgundy to get invitation so I agree status 11 will be needed for next years invitation.

f5j4wnmoac45.png

Our local tour get sold out easily with many kids on the waiting list. Several good juniors are unable to go to the worlds, even though they shoot low number.

The new scoring change is a good news for our area. The shorter yardage, I'm not so sure...

I dont have the time (or desire) to go look at results, but I bet that there were a LOT of kids in each age group 9 and above at worlds who have never shot par or better twice in one local tour season (Level 11 in new system).. Now, a good many of those kids probably got in previously on Burgundy because they had weak competition at the local level and certainly some of those spots going forward will be taken by better kids who previously didnt qualify based on not _finishing_ 1st in more competitive market local tours.

A quick look for 2019 results for boys 9, only top 10 finishers at Worlds shot par or better for the Tmnt. Round that up and say that maybe the top 50 finishers are capable of shooting par or better TWICE in a local season and would thus qualify next year at level 11. Throw in another 25 NET or so around the country who would qualify with new system (and actually make the trip )....that gives you 75 Level 11 Kids. Field size in 2019 was 146.....so that leaves about 1/2 of the field, call it another 70+ spots that would be open. In this case, I would think that as low as level 9 (76 or better, twice) gets in for the 2020 Boys 9 if they maintain same field size (of course they will ...$$$$$). ....ok, so maybe I did have the time and desire to figure it out.

> @hangontight said:

> I dont have the time (or desire) to go look at results, but I bet that there were a LOT of kids in each age group 9 and above at worlds who have never shot par or better twice in one local tour season (Level 11 in new system).. Now, a good many of those kids probably got in previously on Burgundy because they had weak competition at the local level and certainly some of those spots going forward will be taken by better kids who previously didnt qualify based on not _finishing_ 1st in more competitive market local tours.

>

> A quick look for 2019 results for boys 9, only top 10 finishers at Worlds shot par or better for the Tmnt. Round that up and say that maybe the top 50 finishers are capable of shooting par or better TWICE in a local season and would thus qualify next year at level 11. Throw in another 25 NET or so around the country who would qualify with new system (and actually make the trip )....that gives you 75 Level 11 Kids. Field size in 2019 was 146.....so that leaves about 1/2 of the field, call it another 70+ spots that would be open. In this case, I would think that as low as level 9 (76 or better, twice) gets in for the 2020 Boys 9 if they maintain same field size (of course they will ...$$$$$). ....ok, so maybe I did have the time and desire to figure it out.

There were 3 kids in my sons age group in the area who didn't qualify for Worlds (because they didn't win the Local Tour) who shot par or better this past weekend, the first event of the Fall Tour Season.

There were many more at younger age groups as well.

I think there will be MORE kids who get Level 11 Priority Status than there were kids with prior Burgundy Status.

Also you cannot compare scores from Worlds, which played 5500 yards with slick greens for Boys 11, with Local Tour events at 4800 yards on (typically) Muni tracks.

> @hangontight said:

> I dont have the time (or desire) to go look at results, but I bet that there were a LOT of kids in each age group 9 and above at worlds who have never shot par or better twice in one local tour season (Level 11 in new system).. Now, a good many of those kids probably got in previously on Burgundy because they had weak competition at the local level and certainly some of those spots going forward will be taken by better kids who previously didnt qualify based on not _finishing_ 1st in more competitive market local tours.

>

> A quick look for 2019 results for boys 9, only top 10 finishers at Worlds shot par or better for the Tmnt. Round that up and say that maybe the top 50 finishers are capable of shooting par or better TWICE in a local season and would thus qualify next year at level 11. Throw in another 25 NET or so around the country who would qualify with new system (and actually make the trip )....that gives you 75 Level 11 Kids. Field size in 2019 was 146.....so that leaves about 1/2 of the field, call it another 70+ spots that would be open. In this case, I would think that as low as level 9 (76 or better, twice) gets in for the 2020 Boys 9 if they maintain same field size (of course they will ...$$$$$). ....ok, so maybe I did have the time and desire to figure it out.

Shooting par at the worlds is slightly more difficult than shooting par at the locals.

Also, we have to consider the new yardages.

For boys 9, Local distance is cut from 1900 to 1800 and the Worlds is from 4800 to 4500.

For 18 holers let's assume that will save about 4 strokes, and 9 holers about 2 strokes.

This means top 15 players at 9-year old division would have shot par or better.

For local tour, any 9 year old who can get on the green and two putts should have a decent chance at shooting 37/38.

> > @hangontight said:

> > I dont have the time (or desire) to go look at results, but I bet that there were a LOT of kids in each age group 9 and above at worlds who have never shot par or better twice in one local tour season (Level 11 in new system).. Now, a good many of those kids probably got in previously on Burgundy because they had weak competition at the local level and certainly some of those spots going forward will be taken by better kids who previously didnt qualify based on not _finishing_ 1st in more competitive market local tours.

> >

> > A quick look for 2019 results for boys 9, only top 10 finishers at Worlds shot par or better for the Tmnt. Round that up and say that maybe the top 50 finishers are capable of shooting par or better TWICE in a local season and would thus qualify next year at level 11. Throw in another 25 NET or so around the country who would qualify with new system (and actually make the trip )....that gives you 75 Level 11 Kids. Field size in 2019 was 146.....so that leaves about 1/2 of the field, call it another 70+ spots that would be open. In this case, I would think that as low as level 9 (76 or better, twice) gets in for the 2020 Boys 9 if they maintain same field size (of course they will ...$$$$$). ....ok, so maybe I did have the time and desire to figure it out.

>

> Also you cannot compare scores from Worlds, which played 5500 yards with slick greens for Boys 11, with Local Tour events at 4800 yards on (typically) Muni tracks.

I didnt compare - thats why I threw in a guestimate that the top 50 kids (at 9 year old boys worlds) were probably capable of shooting par or better at the Local events. Who knows, ultimatly we dont know how many of these "level 11" kids there are and how many would actually come, right. But its fun to speculate!

> @hangontight said:

>

Shooting par the the worlds is slightly more difficult than shooting par at the locals.

Also, we have to consider the yardage changes.

For Boys 9, the local distance is cut from 1900 to 1800, and the worlds distance is cut from 4800 to 4500.

Let's assume that should save 4 strokes for 18 holers and 2 strokes for 9 holers.

For the worlds, Top 15 players at 9 would have shot par or better.

For the locals, any 9 year olds who can get on the green and two putt should have a decent chance to shoot 37/38.

> @mrshinsa said:

> Shooting par the the worlds is slightly more difficult than shooting par at the locals.

>

> Also, we have to consider the yardage changes.

> For Boys 9, the local distance is cut from 1900 to 1800, and the worlds distance is cut from 4800 to 4500.

> Let's assume that should save 4 strokes for 18 holers and 2 strokes for 9 holers.

> For the worlds, Top 15 players at 9 would have shot par or better.

> For the locals, any 9 year olds who can get on the green and two putt should have a decent chance to shoot 37/38.

Agree, and again, thats why I threw out a guestimate for kids who are capable of shooting par at the local level ...and would thus get level 11 and qualify for Worlds (but certainly not able to shoot par AT Worlds). Man, I love running numbers and projections but this getting deep! We should start a betting pool on what level gets in each age group next year.

look at how they are doing invitations to the holiday classic this year. They are lumping L 12, 11, 10 into one 9,8,7, and 6,5,4 so you can still call those Burgundy orange and blue. I suspect you will see similar with worlds. The status means nothing its how they do the invitations to get into the event that matters. I do agree you will see more people earn higher status and ares where the talent pool was higher.

Okay so I got bored and looked up summer results for 9 year olds and pulled some major metro areas and these are the following numbers of kids who would hit level 11 on scoring:

Bay Area: 3

Los Angeles: 1

Atlanta: 1

Orlando: 2

San Diego: 2

(I was doing this quickly but from what I saw these are the number of kids who hit 36 or below twice in that season)

Are the yardages going to help drop scores, sure, but I don't think there are near as many kids breaking par on local tours as some of you think there are. I think we will see an increase in high status but I just don't see a way they fill up a 120+ slotted tourney with only Level 11.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> Okay so I got bored and looked up summer results for 9 year olds and pulled some major metro areas and these are the following numbers of kids who would hit level 11 on scoring:

> Bay Area: 3

> Los Angeles: 1

> Atlanta: 1

> Orlando: 2

> San Diego: 2

> Are the yardages going to help drop scores, sure, but I don't think there are near as many kids breaking par on local tours as some of you think there are. I think we will see an increase in high status but I just don't see a way they fill up a 120+ slotted tourney with only Level 11.

>

Boys 9 played 4550 (18 holes) for Worlds, or 2275 for 9 holes. Boys 9 plays 1800 for Local Tour events for 9 holes.

475 yards is a huge difference for 9 holes (950 yards for 18 holes). I would argue it is almost 7-8 shots for 9 holes, and 15 shots for 18 holes.

Also, you are looking at Total Score to Par for 54 holes (3 separate rounds) in Worlds vs the requirement of shooting Par or better twice in a span of up to six events. This is not a reasonable comparison.

A more accurate comparison would be to split the Worlds results of 3 x 18 holes into 6 x 9 holes and subtract 7 shots from each 9 hole round. So a kid who shot 43 for Worlds twice would roughly equate to having shot 36 twice in a Local Tour season.

Using this method, almost the entire Field for Boys 9 Worlds would have received Level 11 Priority Status.

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > Okay so I got bored and looked up summer results for 9 year olds and pulled some major metro areas and these are the following numbers of kids who would hit level 11 on scoring:

> > Bay Area: 3

> > Los Angeles: 1

> > Atlanta: 1

> > Orlando: 2

> > San Diego: 2

> > Are the yardages going to help drop scores, sure, but I don't think there are near as many kids breaking par on local tours as some of you think there are. I think we will see an increase in high status but I just don't see a way they fill up a 120+ slotted tourney with only Level 11.

> >

> Boys 9 played 4550 (18 holes) for Worlds, or 2275 for 9 holes. Boys 9 plays 1800 for Local Tour events for 9 holes.

>

> 475 yards is a huge difference for 9 holes (950 yards for 18 holes). I would argue it is almost 7-8 shots for 9 holes, and 15 shots for 18 holes.

>

> Also, you are looking at Total Score to Par for 54 holes (3 separate rounds) in Worlds vs the requirement of shooting Par or better twice in a span of up to six events. This is not a reasonable comparison.

>

> A more accurate comparison would be to split the Worlds results of 3 x 18 holes into 6 x 9 holes and subtract 7 shots from each 9 hole round. So a kid who shot 43 for Worlds twice would roughly equate to having shot 36 twice in a Local Tour season.

>

> Using this method, almost the entire Field for Boys 9 Worlds would have received Level 11 Priority Status.

Ummm I used results from summer local tour play. I didn't even look at worlds. Those were their scores from 1900 yards this summer. Local tour is only dropping to 1800 yards. Not sure where you were going with this post.....

Also using all that subtracting seven shots and such is really convoluted. I used legit scores and results from the summer local tour. 100 yards less distance over 9 holes might get you 1, maybe 2 shots difference at best.

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > Okay so I got bored and looked up summer results for 9 year olds and pulled some major metro areas and these are the following numbers of kids who would hit level 11 on scoring:

> > Bay Area: 3

> > Los Angeles: 1

> > Atlanta: 1

> > Orlando: 2

> > San Diego: 2

> > Are the yardages going to help drop scores, sure, but I don't think there are near as many kids breaking par on local tours as some of you think there are. I think we will see an increase in high status but I just don't see a way they fill up a 120+ slotted tourney with only Level 11.

> >

> Boys 9 played 4550 (18 holes) for Worlds, or 2275 for 9 holes. Boys 9 plays 1800 for Local Tour events for 9 holes.

>

> 475 yards is a huge difference for 9 holes (950 yards for 18 holes). I would argue it is almost 7-8 shots for 9 holes, and 15 shots for 18 holes.

>

> Also, you are looking at Total Score to Par for 54 holes (3 separate rounds) in Worlds vs the requirement of shooting Par or better twice in a span of up to six events. This is not a reasonable comparison.

>

> A more accurate comparison would be to split the Worlds results of 3 x 18 holes into 6 x 9 holes and subtract 7 shots from each 9 hole round. So a kid who shot 43 for Worlds twice would roughly equate to having shot 36 twice in a Local Tour season.

>

> Using this method, almost the entire Field for Boys 9 Worlds would have received Level 11 Priority Status.

I’m following you, but I don’t think there’s 146 “par or better “ kids in the nation/world that they can get to Pinehurst to fill. I try to remind myself when we’re there that there’s a surely a lot of kids out there who are probably pretty dang good that it is cost prohibitive to come and spend five grand on a vacation /tmnt

> @hangontight said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > Okay so I got bored and looked up summer results for 9 year olds and pulled some major metro areas and these are the following numbers of kids who would hit level 11 on scoring:

> > > Bay Area: 3

> > > Los Angeles: 1

> > > Atlanta: 1

> > > Orlando: 2

> > > San Diego: 2

> > > Are the yardages going to help drop scores, sure, but I don't think there are near as many kids breaking par on local tours as some of you think there are. I think we will see an increase in high status but I just don't see a way they fill up a 120+ slotted tourney with only Level 11.

> > >

> > Boys 9 played 4550 (18 holes) for Worlds, or 2275 for 9 holes. Boys 9 plays 1800 for Local Tour events for 9 holes.

> >

> > 475 yards is a huge difference for 9 holes (950 yards for 18 holes). I would argue it is almost 7-8 shots for 9 holes, and 15 shots for 18 holes.

> >

> > Also, you are looking at Total Score to Par for 54 holes (3 separate rounds) in Worlds vs the requirement of shooting Par or better twice in a span of up to six events. This is not a reasonable comparison.

> >

> > A more accurate comparison would be to split the Worlds results of 3 x 18 holes into 6 x 9 holes and subtract 7 shots from each 9 hole round. So a kid who shot 43 for Worlds twice would roughly equate to having shot 36 twice in a Local Tour season.

> >

> > Using this method, almost the entire Field for Boys 9 Worlds would have received Level 11 Priority Status.

>

> I’m following you, but I don’t think there’s 146 “par or better “ kids in the nation/world that they can get to Pinehurst to fill. I try to remind myself when we’re there that there’s a surely a lot of kids out there who are probably pretty dang good that it is cost prohibitive to come and spend five grand on a vacation /tmnt

>

>

That is the other thing. I don't think there are 146 par or better kids period per age group and I definitely don't think there are 146 who are prepared to pay the cost to go to Worlds.

Following this "getting into USKG Worlds" section of this thread, am I to understand that starting around age 9 that it gets difficult to get into the event? The bottom 10 kids at boys age 9 shot from +50 to +87 total over 3 days (so on average they shot roughly +17 to +28 each day). For ages 10, 11 and 12, the bottom 10 doesn't look much different. Seems more like money (cost of participating in World Championship held only on the East Coast every year) is the driver and not status.

https://www.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/world/find-tournament/501438/world-championship-2019/results

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

The top players don’t play Local events (exempt via top finishes in Regionals, States or Worlds).

At younger ages distance has a disproportionate impact on scores. The fact that scores are higher at Worlds is probably due to a combination of longer yardage, 18 hole format (instead of 9 holes for 9/10yo division), and the adjustment in playing a 3 day event and having to travel and stay overnight.

Judging by initial Fall Tour scores it seems there will be a lot more who get higher priority status levels. Whether they accept the invitation and compete at Worlds is a separate discussion.