New TaylorMade wedges - July 2019

> @jll62 said:

> > @Stevens24 said:

> > So 150-200 more spin on a 10,500 spining wedge does not seem that significant. 1.5% is not worth dealing with what I feel is an ugly look. And if you hit the club 5 or 6 time in a round the rust is off the hitting area by then. JMHO

>

> What Rick tested, rust vs raw, isn't really all that interesting, but raw vs plated is the reason raw wedges matter. When you get water between the ball and the face, you lose more spin with a plated finish than you do with a raw face. The MG2 wedges are intended to give you the spin preservation benefits of a raw face without a fully rusty look.

>

> I personally like the look of full raw wedges, so these will take a bit of getting used to for me visually, but my MG raw 52 is already in the process of being replaced by an MG2 52.

You know what would be an interesting test? The Glide 3.0 vs a rusted face MG2. TXG if you are reading this, make it happen!

• Like 1

> @ASN21 said:

> > @jll62 said:

> > > @Stevens24 said:

> > > So 150-200 more spin on a 10,500 spining wedge does not seem that significant. 1.5% is not worth dealing with what I feel is an ugly look. And if you hit the club 5 or 6 time in a round the rust is off the hitting area by then. JMHO

> >

> > What Rick tested, rust vs raw, isn't really all that interesting, but raw vs plated is the reason raw wedges matter. When you get water between the ball and the face, you lose more spin with a plated finish than you do with a raw face. The MG2 wedges are intended to give you the spin preservation benefits of a raw face without a fully rusty look.

> >

> > I personally like the look of full raw wedges, so these will take a bit of getting used to for me visually, but my MG raw 52 is already in the process of being replaced by an MG2 52.

> You know what would be an interesting test? The Glide 3.0 vs a rusted face MG2. TXG if you are reading this, make it happen!

>

Yep. I'm waiting for someone to do that test!

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Well, told yall Id try to come through. Here is a picture of my rusted MG2. I did a full writeup in the equipment forum with more pictures and how I did it since I felt it was better suited to go there.

[https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1789809/taylormade-mg2-in-hand-and-rusted-how-to-with-pictures/p1?new=1](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1789809/taylormade-mg2-in-hand-and-rusted-how-to-with-pictures/p1?new=1 "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1789809/taylormade-mg2-in-hand-and-rusted-how-to-with-pictures/p1?new=1")

bz4qrpuziken.jpeg

• Like 2

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

Can’t decide between MG2 60

And Bigfoot. Trying to find a store than has them in Phoenix.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

> @OspreyCI said:

> Can’t decide between MG2 60

> And Bigfoot. Trying to find a store than has them in Phoenix.

Blindly went ahead and ordered a MG2 60 SB wedge. Hope it works out. #rustit

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I'm loving the look of the MG2. Here are some side-by-sides of the grinds compared to the prior gen Milled Grind wedges. Nearly identical but with a few slight tweaks.

**Milled Grind 52 SB.09 vs MG2 52 SB.09**

The MG2 has a straighter trailing edge, whereas the MG had the heel and toe portions of the trailing edge scoop back a little. I assume this change was the result of trying to move mass around to where they wanted it on the back of the club. The MG2 sole looks quite a bit narrower in pictures, but I measured it with a digital calipers and the difference was less than 1mm.

uy4pctk9tdbb.jpg

d3i5fu4p5yst.jpg

**Milled Grind 60 LB.09 vs MG2 60 LB.08**

Identical C-grind from MG to MG2, just a degree less bounce on the MG2 LB.

wsg69u0dzjha.jpg

mbuwy4wxsond.jpg

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @kush614 said:

> Has anyone who ordered MG2s with custom options had their order ship yet? It’s been over a week now, and was really hoping they were shipping these out as fast as the P790s

Ordered all custom specs - new P790s, new P790 UDI and MG2s on 8/21 and all shipped together on 8/27. Here's hoping yours get there sooner than later. Hang in there, they're worth the wait (within reason).

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @jll62 said:

> I'm loving the look of the MG2. Here are some side-by-sides of the grinds compared to the prior gen Milled Grind wedges. Nearly identical but with a few slight tweaks.

>

> **Milled Grind 52 SB.09 vs MG2 52 SB.09**

> The MG2 has a straighter trailing edge, whereas the MG had the heel and toe portions of the trailing edge scoop back a little. I assume this change was the result of trying to move mass around to where they wanted it on the back of the club. The MG2 sole looks quite a bit narrower in pictures, but I measured it with a digital calipers and the difference was less than 1mm.

>

> uy4pctk9tdbb.jpg

> d3i5fu4p5yst.jpg

>

> **Milled Grind 60 LB.09 vs MG2 60 LB.08**

> Identical C-grind from MG to MG2, just a degree less bounce on the MG2 LB.

> wsg69u0dzjha.jpg

> mbuwy4wxsond.jpg

Wishing I had ordered the black too... they look great in those pics.

• Like 1

> @cmb71 said:

> Wishing I had ordered the black too... they look great in those pics.

The black looks amazing in person.

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @jll62 said:

> > @cmb71 said:

> > Wishing I had ordered the black too... they look great in those pics.

>

> The black looks amazing in person.

That does it... TM website, here I come. My MG Raw's are due for replacement soon enough, and I need a backup set anyway.

• Like 1

Just picked up 2 MG2’s in black, 50 and 54 in standard bounce, hanging onto my Hi-Toe 58 ATV. Hit them both on GCQuad and immediately fell in love. Also just sold my Glide 3.0’s, they were good but after a couple of rounds I started to struggle on full shots with them. Will report back with more feedback after tomorrow’s outing and will also work on rusting them out. So far I’m in love, never said that about a wedge before. Fwiw I had SM7’s before the Glide 3.0’s, these MG2’s blow both out of the water in terms of looks and feel.

Side note: my wife is sleeping on the couch tonight, the MG2’s need a good night’s rest, they have a long day ahead of them tomorrow.

> @OspreyCI said:

> Anyone playing them? Reviews?

>

> Mine will be here tomorrow.

I had the MG2 52 in the bag tonight in place of the MG Raw 52. Very similar performance, but a subtle change to sound/feel. More solid, less "click" at impact. I like it.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Good reviews. Be using my 60 next Sunday. The 54 getting replaced if I really like the 60. Sold my HT 60 for the MG2 60. Couldn’t get along with the HT. I like a more traditional wedge.

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

First round in the books, really enjoying the feel of these wedges, very soft off the face.

Just a few tweaks need to be done to these to really get them dialed in: Need to get them bent 1 degree flat and put a 30 second wrap on the grip and I’ll be 100% good to go.

Pros:

Turf interaction is so smooth, just seems to glide through the turf, not sure if the milling on the bottom has something to do with that but it sure does seem to give me ease of mind, didn’t run into any trouble and I had some sketchy lies, these made it easy to get out of everything I put myself in today.

Spin was great, checked up really nice on short shots around the green and full shots seemed to have a lot of bite on them, I will say they didn’t spin as much as the Glide 3.0’s but honestly, that did more harm then good on the course for me, didn’t like attacking a pin just to see the ball spin back 3 more feet to make for a longer putt.

Feel was outstanding, especially on shots around the green, probably one of the best feeling wedges I’ve ever hit, such a soft and sweet feel to them, no click to them, at all. The raw face really helps with that, buttery smooth.

Overall weight profile felt so good in my hands, really reminded me of my SM7’s, just perfect, the stock S200 shaft is a great addition.

Consistency was what shined the most out of these, shot after shot I just knew my distances and hit them every time.

Black finish has held up nicely, no wear at all so far.

Head profile fits my eye so perfectly, I love the thin profile of this wedge, not bulky or clunky at all, you can really get under the ball without any worry of chunking it, feels like I can shape this wedge with no issues.

My confidence level was through the roof with these today, I can’t wait to get back out there with them.

Cons:

Not sure how I feel about the laser etching on the face, I can already tell it won’t last long, some of the etching has already been rubbed off after a few strikes. No big deal though, seriously, don’t let that be a reason to not try these, please.

I kind of wish Taylormade put some milling on the toe area, seems too blank to me, granted I don’t think anyone should be hitting it that far out the toe but it would have been a nice touch like how Cleveland mills the RTX4.

Other than a few aesthetic touches, I really can’t fault this wedge whatsoever. Taylormade, job well done again, these are really going to be a contender this year for vokey, we will definitely see these in more tour players bags next season and they will for sure be staying in mine.

• Like 2

> @mrmikeac said:

> Pros:

> Turf interaction is so smooth, just seems to glide through the turf, not sure if the milling on the bottom has something to do with that but it sure does seem to give me ease of mind, didn’t run into any trouble and I had some sketchy lies, these made it easy to get out of everything I put myself in today.

> Overall weight profile felt so good in my hands, really reminded me of my SM7’s, just perfect, the stock S200 shaft is a great addition.

> Consistency was what shined the most out of these, shot after shot I just knew my distances and hit them every time.

> Cons:

> Not sure how I feel about the laser etching on the face, I can already tell it won’t last long, some of the etching has already been rubbed off after a few strikes. No big deal though, seriously, don’t let that be a reason to not try these, please.

>

Demoed the MG2 last week and can very much agree with your findings. The turf interaction was great, consistent and for me better than the SM7s.

Ye that laser etching seem to be more of a cosmetic thing, after a couple of bunker shots it seemed to be gone.

I still haven't pulled the trigger, mostly because of grind/bounce decision. I play a 52, 56 set up and like to be able to manipulate the 56 a lot for various different shots. The 56 LB had the desired grind and overall excellent but was lacking a bit against the SB when it came fluffy bunker lies. Also considering the T20s since they come with a 56, 10 C grind option. Shame the 56, 12 TW grind isn't available for the average Joe.

Taylormade M1 '17 9,5° UST Elements Platinum Prototype PT6F5
Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 15,5° Rdx Blue 70 6.5
Ping G410 Crossover 20° Tensei Blue 80 TX
Wilson Staff V6 Irons 4-PW True Temper X100 AMT
Mizuno T5 52° & 56° True Temper Gold S300 --> Taylormade MG3 52° & 58° S200 TI
Nike Method Core 01W

> @kush614 said:

> Has anyone who ordered MG2s with custom options had their order ship yet? It’s been over a week now, and was really hoping they were shipping these out as fast as the P790s

I ordered my MG2 Black 52 & 58* with black Modus 115 wedge shafts at +1/4" and Winn Midsize grip from my club pro on 8/29 and they arrived last Friday (9/6). I was surprised to see the box before my round last Friday. Like any ho, I put them in the play immediately and left my old wedges in the car. Ha.

I did notice they were flying little further than my old ones but seemed to be easier for me to chip with them. I'm letting the faces rust naturally and will report how long it took.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Was told the TW grind will be coming to retail, don’t know when

ye9aqdh7hfvj.jpeg

cxdp3xcw43jf.jpeg

• Like 4
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Odd question, does the extreme rusting leave residue on the ball? I'm wondering because I play in my simulator all winter and don't want the rust going on the screen, it was expensive lol.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> Odd question, does the extreme rusting leave residue on the ball? I'm wondering because I play in my simulator all winter and don't want the rust going on the screen, it was expensive lol.

I’ve played raw wedges for years and have never had rust end up on a ball. The main area of impact usually stays fairly free of rust anyway.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post