Golf should be free

Ok let me explain. Golf should be free for people under 25, and for people who bring their kids out.

There is constant talk about golf's decline, and that millenials cant afford golf. There's no interest in it.

Not sure if anyone follows video games, but the most recent games that blow up every chart with 10x more players are the free to play ones. Once people are playing, the money rolls in. Get them out there, get golf in everyone's life, then they will spend their money on golf one way or another.

You say.. sounds great but courses cant make it.. I say they will make way more because general interest is up. Go look at fornite, and tell me microtransactions dont make money.

Microtransactions make a lot of cash but there are a ton of games out there that still go broke. RuneScape used to be one of the biggest MMOs before WoW and even with the micros for it, it keeps getting sold everyother week.

It's a guessing game out of there as to what works.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

"Youth on course" has saved my wallet. $5 per kid. A lot of courses except it. Also, most will let young 10 and under golf for free during twilight hours. I agree $2 off is not exactly a deal. What is worse is taking my 5 year old with me, and them wanting a $8+ cart fee for him. That is the one thing he wants to do ever time.

• Like 1

Golf has been in decline because it's hard and takes practice. People don't want to spend the time and effort to practice. And people still need clubs, shoes, balls, etc. to play "free" golf.

And it's not just golf. All sports show a decline in youth participation.

Basketball is down 4%

Soccer is down 11%

Baseball is down 14%

Softball is down 31%

Football is down 29%

Why? Early burnout and injury, over competitiveness, lack of perceived fun and kids are getting fatter and fatter.

Fat kids don't play sports, they play video games, which ironically, leads back to the comparison in the original post.

• Like 1

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

I actually think it’s a great idea.

I would just do a pure junior pass at a reduced rate (perhaps charge one greens fee per foursome of junior golfers) or free if golfing with a paying adult.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @Soloman1 said:

> Why? Early burnout and injury, over competitiveness, lack of perceived fun and kids are getting fatter and fatter.

> Fat kids don't play sports, they play video games, which ironically, leads back to the comparison in the original post.

I think the impact of specialization is waaay underestimated here. 20 years ago, we all played three sports in three seasons. Now the vast majority of kids are focused on one sport year round, and golf is pretty far down the list for kids in terms of what they're going to "specialize" in.

IMHO the "problem" of the decline of golf is vastly overstated. Golf will be fine.

• Like 1

So a course is free for under 25s and is packed by people under 25 playing for free ... people over 25 will play a different course that doesn't offer free golf, because it won't be as crowded. Therefore, all the paid golfers will be on one course, the free golfers will be on one course, and the free course will be out of business shortly.

• Like 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

The only reason the freemium concept works is because people are addicted. They make the free versions barely useable, then make the stuff that costs money "cool" or in order to make the game playable long term, you need to spend money.

Golf doesn't really work that way. You come to the course with everything you need to play and there's nothing extra that the course itself provides other than space. Most courses barely make money as is, I can't see them offering free golf just in hopes that those people come back when they are older to spend money.

• Like 1

I get what you are saying - but there aren't really micro-transactions and upgrades in a way that could add a lot of money to the golf course. Perhaps having a separate 3 hole course, but one must pay for the bigger, nicer, 18 hole course?

I really wish golf just had more deals for 9 hole rounds. Come out and walk a quick 9 in the evening for 5 bucks. I'd be all over that. I'd love to play more, but I don't want to pay 30 bucks to play 18 every time. It's too much money and too much time investment.

Yes advertise more 9 hole rates! Maybe free but a course near me offers $5 rounds for juniors at a certain time which is very reasonable. 9 is not for everyone, I always like playing 18 but I played 9 last weekend because of time and it was a great 2 hour getaway.

Kids should be playing 9. It takes less time, less frustrating shots, and most importantly less concentration. Shoot even my 30yo brother told me this summer when we were playing that he doesn't like golf very much and is pretty much done after the 8th hole. 18 hole 4.5 hour rounds make it that one activity for the day. Kids are usually involved in many activities from baseball, flag football, to piano practice. Get kids out there to the range or play 9 so golf becomes one of those activities instead of a 4.5 hour round that might be the only activity for a Saturday.

Considering most of your muni courses are already struggling I don't think a free concept would work especially for young adults. There are plenty of "cheap" golf courses for those of us with limited funds or who aren't good enough to play on nicer or expensive courses. Maybe having a children under age of 10 with adult play for $5 or a huge discount, depending on going green fees. I also think discounting nine holes would encourage more people to play. Let's face it, we live in a society where most people don't want to dedicate or have time for 4+ hours to do something, especially those with children. People can play 9 holes before or after work, especially those without a family of children. The course I play regularly is a low cost course. It's not maintained anywhere near the level of your average mid tier golf course. There are no bunkers and you can run into an undesirable lie in the middle of the fairway. Hell in the middle of summer when the clover is in bloom it can be hard to find your white ball amongst all the white flowers.

> @N0rs3man said:

> Ok let me explain. Golf should be free for people under 25, and for people who bring their kids out.

>

> There is constant talk about golf's decline, and that millenials cant afford golf. There's no interest in it.

>

> Not sure if anyone follows video games, but the most recent games that blow up every chart with 10x more players are the free to play ones. Once people are playing, the money rolls in. Get them out there, get golf in everyone's life, then they will spend their money on golf one way or another.

>

> You say.. sounds great but courses cant make it.. I say they will make way more because general interest is up. Go look at fornite, and tell me microtransactions dont make money.

> @hacker49 said:

> Considering most of your muni courses are already struggling I don't think a free concept would work especially for young adults. There are plenty of "cheap" golf courses for those of us with limited funds or who aren't good enough to play on nicer or expensive courses. Maybe having a children under age of 10 with adult play for $5 or a huge discount, depending on going green fees. I also think discounting nine holes would encourage more people to play. Let's face it, we live in a society where most people don't want to dedicate or have time for 4+ hours to do something, especially those with children. People can play 9 holes before or after work, especially those without a family of children. The course I play regularly is a low cost course. It's not maintained anywhere near the level of your average mid tier golf course. There are no bunkers and you can run into an undesirable lie in the middle of the fairway. **** in the middle of summer when the clover is in bloom it can be hard to find your white ball amongst all the white flowers.

> @hacker49 said:

> Considering most of your muni courses are already struggling I don't think a free concept would work especially for young adults. There are plenty of "cheap" golf courses for those of us with limited funds or who aren't good enough to play on nicer or expensive courses. Maybe having a children under age of 10 with adult play for $5 or a huge discount, depending on going green fees. I also think discounting nine holes would encourage more people to play. Let's face it, we live in a society where most people don't want to dedicate or have time for 4+ hours to do something, especially those with children. People can play 9 holes before or after work, especially those without a family of children. The course I play regularly is a low cost course. It's not maintained anywhere near the level of your average mid tier golf course. There are no bunkers and you can run into an undesirable lie in the middle of the fairway. **** in the middle of summer when the clover is in bloom it can be hard to find your white ball amongst all the white flowers.

> @hacker49 said:

Our City has the program for junior golf. Many rounds of "free" golf had been given out to qualified youngsters. Discounted rounds to senior and veterans and the handicapped.

I'm sure other region have the similar program.

When there is "free stuff", you'd bet there be people taking advantage of the program. The free loaders will come out of the woods to take advantage of the opportunities intended for the others.

Giving away free stuff had never worked, it's been proven over and over again in time and places that "free" is not always the solution to problems at hands.

The attempt to make golfing as popular as Bowling will fail. Growing the game is a noble thought but unpractical. It is what it is.

The game of golf take sacrifice from other parts of one's life. It takes financial commitment, time away from family, career and everything else one might enjoy. Whether this is what one wants in his/her life, wil be entirely an individual decision.

I have known many individuals and couples whom do not have a big house, no fancy automobiles, not much savings in the bank or retirement account, and don't eat out often, no children...... but they travel and golf every opportunity they have. They are pursuing their happiness in life This is their choice, not for everyone.

Giving away free golf might not have the expected return of more golfers in the future.

What it could do is planting a seed in the mass of population and perhaps one day some of these seeding will turn out to be plants.

From an investment point of view, it's not a good idea to give away free golf. Disounted golf will be a better choice which with the same budget could reach more out there to spread the seeding.

In St. Andrews - all (local) kids under 18 can play any of the courses in the St. Andrews Trust for free. Then I think it was like £10 once in university.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @Fade said:

> OP, what is the reason for the <**25** age cutoff. Personally that strikes me as much too high (for people to be getting their entertainment for free).

I would imagine he was trying to hook college kids and young professionals.

I would cut it off at 18 personally.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Jr. golf has never been cheaper, tons of courses around here support it and support parents playing with the kids. Not sure free would be the answer.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Imagine this. Golf course has free clubs to use, and is free to use course. Bus picks up kids after school and hauls them to course. Course sets up a competitive bracket with ratings and daily competition. Kids buy pop, water, food, balls, new clubs, ect (microtransactions). Now kids are hooked on golf, parents fork over money for more layers. Idk exact setup but that is details, we are just talking about the core idea.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> The only reason the freemium concept works is because people are addicted. They make the free versions barely useable, then make the stuff that costs money "cool" or in order to make the game playable long term, you need to spend money.

>

> Golf doesn't really work that way. You come to the course with everything you need to play and there's nothing extra that the course itself provides other than space. Most courses barely make money as is, I can't see them offering free golf just in hopes that those people come back when they are older to spend money.

I can see your point and agree with it---- I guess it is like taking a gamble on the future----- Oh yeah they do that some on the futures market at the stock exchange.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @N0rs3man said:

> > Ok let me explain. Golf should be free for people under 25, and for people who bring their kids out.

> >

> > There is constant talk about golf's decline, and that millenials cant afford golf. There's no interest in it.

> >

> > Not sure if anyone follows video games, but the most recent games that blow up every chart with 10x more players are the free to play ones. Once people are playing, the money rolls in. Get them out there, get golf in everyone's life, then they will spend their money on golf one way or another.

> >

> > You say.. sounds great but courses cant make it.. I say they will make way more because general interest is up. Go look at fornite, and tell me microtransactions dont make money.

>

> > @hacker49 said:

> > Considering most of your muni courses are already struggling I don't think a free concept would work especially for young adults. There are plenty of "cheap" golf courses for those of us with limited funds or who aren't good enough to play on nicer or expensive courses. Maybe having a children under age of 10 with adult play for $5 or a huge discount, depending on going green fees. I also think discounting nine holes would encourage more people to play. Let's face it, we live in a society where most people don't want to dedicate or have time for 4+ hours to do something, especially those with children. People can play 9 holes before or after work, especially those without a family of children. The course I play regularly is a low cost course. It's not maintained anywhere near the level of your average mid tier golf course. There are no bunkers and you can run into an undesirable lie in the middle of the fairway. **** in the middle of summer when the clover is in bloom it can be hard to find your white ball amongst all the white flowers.

>

> > @hacker49 said:

> > Considering most of your muni courses are already struggling I don't think a free concept would work especially for young adults. There are plenty of "cheap" golf courses for those of us with limited funds or who aren't good enough to play on nicer or expensive courses. Maybe having a children under age of 10 with adult play for $5 or a huge discount, depending on going green fees. I also think discounting nine holes would encourage more people to play. Let's face it, we live in a society where most people don't want to dedicate or have time for 4+ hours to do something, especially those with children. People can play 9 holes before or after work, especially those without a family of children. The course I play regularly is a low cost course. It's not maintained anywhere near the level of your average mid tier golf course. There are no bunkers and you can run into an undesirable lie in the middle of the fairway. **** in the middle of summer when the clover is in bloom it can be hard to find your white ball amongst all the white flowers.

>

> > @hacker49 said:

>

> Our City has the program for junior golf. Many rounds of "free" golf had been given out to qualified youngsters. Discounted rounds to senior and veterans and the handicapped.

> I'm sure other region have the similar program.

> When there is "free stuff", you'd bet there be people taking advantage of the program. The free loaders will come out of the woods to take advantage of the opportunities intended for the others.

> Giving away free stuff had never worked, it's been proven over and over again in time and places that "free" is not always the solution to problems at hands.

> The attempt to make golfing as popular as Bowling will fail. Growing the game is a noble thought but unpractical. It is what it is.

> The game of golf take sacrifice from other parts of one's life. It takes financial commitment, time away from family, career and everything else one might enjoy. Whether this is what one wants in his/her life, wil be entirely an individual decision.

> I have known many individuals and couples whom do not have a big house, no fancy automobiles, not much savings in the bank or retirement account, and don't eat out often, no children...... but they travel and golf every opportunity they have. They are pursuing their happiness in life This is their choice, not for everyone.

> Giving away free golf might not have the expected return of more golfers in the future.

> What it could do is planting a seed in the mass of population and perhaps one day some of these seeding will turn out to be plants.

> From an investment point of view, it's not a good idea to give away free golf. Disounted golf will be a better choice which with the same budget could reach more out there to spread the seeding.

Well Played there my friend

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Interesting idea but golf isnt video games. Golf courses have daily maintenance costs that game servers dont, I dont know how you would make micro translations work (unless you ban stores from selling anything golf related), not to mention its pretty unfair to anyone over the age of 25 who is just picking up the game.