2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Golf should be free

> @Tugu said:

> Just an observation, but there's a hint of the "get off my lawn" creeping into some of the responses. Young people don't want to spend their days dealing with self appointed authority figures. Maybe for free they might, who knows. I'd love to see it in action.

You're right. Golf should be free. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

• Like 2

> @teejaywhy said:

> > @Tugu said:

> > Just an observation, but there's a hint of the "get off my lawn" creeping into some of the responses. Young people don't want to spend their days dealing with self appointed authority figures. Maybe for free they might, who knows. I'd love to see it in action.

>

> You're right. Golf should be free. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

>

Some places in the developed world have even managed free healthcare and tertiary education. Golf would actually be an easy one if one wanted to do it.

> @Tugu said:

> > @teejaywhy said:

> > > @Tugu said:

> > > Just an observation, but there's a hint of the "get off my lawn" creeping into some of the responses. Young people don't want to spend their days dealing with self appointed authority figures. Maybe for free they might, who knows. I'd love to see it in action.

> >

> > You're right. Golf should be free. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

> >

>

> Some places in the developed world have even managed free healthcare and tertiary education. Golf would actually be an easy one if one wanted to do it.

>

>

Nothing is free. Someone or everyone always pays.

• Like 4

> @N0rs3man said:

> Ok let me explain. Golf should be free for people under 25, and for people who bring their kids out.

>

> There is constant talk about golf's decline, and that millenials cant afford golf. There's no interest in it.

>

> Not sure if anyone follows video games, but the most recent games that blow up every chart with 10x more players are the free to play ones. Once people are playing, the money rolls in. Get them out there, get golf in everyone's life, then they will spend their money on golf one way or another.

>

> You say.. sounds great but courses cant make it.. I say they will make way more because general interest is up. Go look at fornite, and tell me microtransactions dont make money.

Great idea! Here is my suggestion;

1. Buy a golf course (lots of them are for sale).

2. Let anybody play free that you choose.

3. Repeat often until you run out of money.

• Like 2

> @Soloman1 said:

> Golf has been in decline because it's hard and takes practice. People don't want to spend the time and effort to practice. And people still need clubs, shoes, balls, etc. to play "free" golf.

>

> And it's not just golf. All sports show a decline in youth participation.

> Basketball is down 4%

> Soccer is down 11%

> Baseball is down 14%

> Softball is down 31%

> Football is down 29%

>

> Why? Early burnout and injury, over competitiveness, lack of perceived fun and kids are getting fatter and fatter.

> Fat kids don't play sports, they play video games, which ironically, leads back to the comparison in the original post.

>

The amount of time parents and kids spend focusing on one sport is ridiculous. Kids should be exposed to multiple activities growing up. Not really sure if I care if kids play much golf, I played all sports growing up, I figured out I like golf when in college and didn’t have football or basketball to keep me competitive. If kids love golf then great, but pushing them never works.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @Tugu said:

> > > @teejaywhy said:

> > > > @Tugu said:

> > > > Just an observation, but there's a hint of the "get off my lawn" creeping into some of the responses. Young people don't want to spend their days dealing with self appointed authority figures. Maybe for free they might, who knows. I'd love to see it in action.

> > >

> > > You're right. Golf should be free. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

> > >

> >

> > Some places in the developed world have even managed free healthcare and tertiary education. Golf would actually be an easy one if one wanted to do it.

> >

> >

>

> Nothing is free. Someone or everyone always pays.

I love threads like this, invariably the contrarians come out because heaven forbid a system is improved. Telling me why something won’t work is intellectually lazy and a failures mentality. We know the pitfalls, how do we get beyond them? If you aren’t giving that then post somewhere else...

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > @Tugu said:

> > > > @teejaywhy said:

> > > > > @Tugu said:

> > > > > Just an observation, but there's a hint of the "get off my lawn" creeping into some of the responses. Young people don't want to spend their days dealing with self appointed authority figures. Maybe for free they might, who knows. I'd love to see it in action.

> > > >

> > > > You're right. Golf should be free. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Some places in the developed world have even managed free healthcare and tertiary education. Golf would actually be an easy one if one wanted to do it.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Nothing is free. Someone or everyone always pays.

>

> I love threads like this, invariably the contrarians come out because heaven forbid a system is improved. Telling me why something won’t work is intellectually lazy and a failures mentality. We know the pitfalls, how do we get beyond them? If you aren’t giving that then post somewhere else...

I never said it wouldn't work. I don't know if it would work or not. I simply stated a fact which apparently is not well known (based on the posts in this thread and the use of the word "free").

Geez - more "free" stuff.

NOTHING'S FREE!

In this scenario the over 25 folks are gonna have to pay more to cover the difference and for what? The "hope" that someday the freeloaders will be willing to carry their own weight?

Not likely.

Entitlements or "handouts" only lead to more entitlements and handouts as they soon become something called "expectations".

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > > @Tugu said:

> > > > > @teejaywhy said:

> > > > > > @Tugu said:

> > > > > > Just an observation, but there's a hint of the "get off my lawn" creeping into some of the responses. Young people don't want to spend their days dealing with self appointed authority figures. Maybe for free they might, who knows. I'd love to see it in action.

> > > > >

> > > > > You're right. Golf should be free. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Some places in the developed world have even managed free healthcare and tertiary education. Golf would actually be an easy one if one wanted to do it.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Nothing is free. Someone or everyone always pays.

> >

> > I love threads like this, invariably the contrarians come out because heaven forbid a system is improved. Telling me why something won’t work is intellectually lazy and a failures mentality. We know the pitfalls, how do we get beyond them? If you aren’t giving that then post somewhere else...

>

> I never said it wouldn't work. I don't know if it would work or not. I simply stated a fact which apparently is not well known (based on the posts in this thread and the use of the word "free").

A golf course needs a certain amount of money to survive and that money has to come from somewhere. If you take part of the clientele away and say they can play for free, the difference has to be covered. Remaining customers need to pay more or the golf courses needs to make less money. We've all read countless articles on course closing and how tough it is to run a course, so there isn't a lot of money for course operators to give away.

Nothing is free. Things that appear free are just paid for in ways you can't see.

But you asked for a solution, so here's an idea. At the beginning of every season, juniors can sign up for a "free" membership. On the other side of the equation, older more established players can sign up to sponsor a junior. At the end of the season, the older player cuts a check for all of the junior's golf played. If juniors aren't going to pay, the course has to get the money from somewhere or go out of business. This way, people can choose to explicitly cover the cost rather than just jacking up the greens fees for all other players.

• Like 1

> @vernon said:

> Geez - more "free" stuff.

> NOTHING'S FREE!

> In this scenario the over 25 folks are gonna have to pay more to cover the difference and for what? The "hope" that someday the freeloaders will be willing to carry their own weight?

> Not likely.

> Entitlements or "handouts" only lead to more entitlements and handouts as they soon become something called "expectations".

>

At my club, “young executives” have no initiation and pay less than 25% of what I pay. The hope is that they will get hooked and by the time dues increase so will have their incomes. When they get to the age where they have to pay what I do, what happens? Most of them resign.

• Like 1

In Omaha kids under 14 are free, no adult necessary.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > > @Tugu said:

> > > > > @teejaywhy said:

> > > > > > @Tugu said:

> > > > > > Just an observation, but there's a hint of the "get off my lawn" creeping into some of the responses. Young people don't want to spend their days dealing with self appointed authority figures. Maybe for free they might, who knows. I'd love to see it in action.

> > > > >

> > > > > You're right. Golf should be free. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Some places in the developed world have even managed free healthcare and tertiary education. Golf would actually be an easy one if one wanted to do it.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Nothing is free. Someone or everyone always pays.

> >

> > I love threads like this, invariably the contrarians come out because heaven forbid a system is improved. Telling me why something won’t work is intellectually lazy and a failures mentality. We know the pitfalls, how do we get beyond them? If you aren’t giving that then post somewhere else...

>

> I never said it wouldn't work. I don't know if it would work or not. I simply stated a fact which apparently is not well known (based on the posts in this thread and the use of the word "free").

> @vernon said:

> Geez - more "free" stuff.

> NOTHING'S FREE!

> In this scenario the over 25 folks are gonna have to pay more to cover the difference and for what? The "hope" that someday the freeloaders will be willing to carry their own weight?

> Not likely.

> Entitlements or "handouts" only lead to more entitlements and handouts as they soon become something called "expectations".

>

Wow, so enlightening, thanks for the post.

> @howellhandmade said:

> > @vernon said:

> > Geez - more "free" stuff.

> > NOTHING'S FREE!

> > In this scenario the over 25 folks are gonna have to pay more to cover the difference and for what? The "hope" that someday the freeloaders will be willing to carry their own weight?

> > Not likely.

> > Entitlements or "handouts" only lead to more entitlements and handouts as they soon become something called "expectations".

> >

> At my club, “young executives” have no initiation and pay less than 25% of what I pay. The hope is that they will get hooked and by the time dues increase so will have their incomes. When they get to the age where they have to pay what I do, what happens? Most of them resign.

>

How much of that has to do with the course being a non-producer business wise for the young executive? You think it’s the cost increase, when in reality the course is providing no value to the consumer.

The American golf model is so backwards.

> @Golfnuck said:

> Our junior membership is less than $600 per year.

>

> Juniors age out when they turn 21.

>

> Is that close enough to being "free".

More than reasonable, especially if able to pay over a 12 month overlay. The family friendly club I am familiar with charges between 800-1200 depending on if it includes weekends. The club is a 100 feet from the states biggest high school. I have thrashed the private club model, but if I ever joined one it would be this club.

> @smashdn said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > ...people are addicted.

> > Golf doesn't really work that way.

>

> My wife begs to differ.

>

> (Thank you for letting me butcher your quote for my purposes.)

>

>

haha :D golf certainly can be addicting. Issue is, golf doesn't have to be expensive.... but it has the ability to get insanely pricey, and fast. Things I do to keep it "cheaper":

- Play used balls instead of buying brand new (savings of like $25 a dozen).

- Buy only used equipment. None of my clubs right now are current model year, with the exception I did purchase a few new shafts for my wedges.

- Try to play twilight or non-peak times as much as possible.

- I use MG gloves now. $7 a pop vs $25 (Taylormade, Titleist, Footjoy, etc).

- "Free" practice more than range time, i.e. hit the chipping/putting green (majority of where I need work anyway).

The simplest thing a community can do to help spread golf locally is to buy courses and then offer subsidized rates of play and other benefits that are paid for by the town. For example, this is why Ice Hockey is so popular in Sweden, because almost all rinks are owned by the local town and they essentially make it free for kids to play.

Probably why my taxes are so high here in NJ haha... I believe we have like 5 local tracks that are owned & run by the county. Paid $85 yesterday to play a privately run course and $50 the other week to play the county course. Granted, the county course is not even close to as nice as the other one. However, to just get kids out there and exposed to the game, nothing will beat the $10 twilight rate you can pay at the county course after 5pm during the summer.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @howellhandmade said:

> > > @vernon said:

> > > Geez - more "free" stuff.

> > > NOTHING'S FREE!

> > > In this scenario the over 25 folks are gonna have to pay more to cover the difference and for what? The "hope" that someday the freeloaders will be willing to carry their own weight?

> > > Not likely.

> > > Entitlements or "handouts" only lead to more entitlements and handouts as they soon become something called "expectations".

> > >

> > At my club, “young executives” have no initiation and pay less than 25% of what I pay. The hope is that they will get hooked and by the time dues increase so will have their incomes. When they get to the age where they have to pay what I do, what happens? Most of them resign.

> >

>

>

> How much of that has to do with the course being a non-producer business wise for the young executive? You think it’s the cost increase, when in reality the course is providing no value to the consumer.

>

> The American golf model is so backwards.

I drew no conclusions, I merely reported the phenomenon, which I think was pertinent to the post to which I responded. At my club, the older members do effectively subsidize the younger. In any case clearly we are hoping for A while rewarding for B.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

>

> The simplest thing a community can do to help spread golf locally is to buy courses and then offer subsidized rates of play and other benefits that are paid for by the town. For example, this is why Ice Hockey is so popular in Sweden, because almost all rinks are owned by the local town and they essentially make it free for kids to play.

Did you just cite Sweden as an example of something being better because it's publicly subsidized? Omg! Someone here is definitely going to lose their minds now!!!!?

This thread is sooo funny. Two things come to my mind.... Why 25 and why not Seniors??

Honestly instead certain people stating why is should be done for people under 25... maybe explain why you think you should get the discount? Why just 25? Its a fact a private courses that a large percent (not all) in that age bracket have to start to paying full price they walk from the club.

Secondary why not seniors? Should they not get golf after a certain age? _(which I am not in that age bracket, but damn sure not in the age bracket that wants everything for free)_ Seniors have paid more their fair share of taxes to help cover that "public" course you want to play free until your 25. Plus we all know private courses are NOT going to give free golf out. _*discounted yes but not free._

Whats next free health care? Wiping out student loans? _.......... o wait........_

> @CDM said:

> This thread is sooo funny. Two things come to my mind.... Why 25 and why not Seniors??

>

> Honestly instead certain people stating why is should be done for people under 25... maybe explain why you think you should get the discount? Why just 25? Its a fact a private courses that a large percent (not all) in that age bracket have to start to paying full price they walk from the club.

>

> Secondary why not seniors? Should they not get golf after a certain age? _(which I am not in that age bracket, but **** sure not in the age bracket that wants everything for free)_ Seniors have paid more their fair share of taxes to help cover that "public" course you want to play free until your 25. Plus we all know private courses are NOT going to give free golf out. _*discounted yes but not free._

>

> Whats next free health care? Wiping out student loans? _.......... o wait........_

>

Because you "hook" young people when when they're poor, and make them pay when they get older and have more money? It's an investment, not a handout.

When old people get older ... they die.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @tatertot said:

> Because you "hook" young people when when they're poor, and make them pay when they get older and have more money? It's an investment, not a handout.

>

> When old people get older ... they die.

Pusha Man.

I think this free golf should be based upon merit. At the risk of dislocating my shoulder let me tell you about myself. I walk when I play (+rep). I fix pitch marks other than my on (mad props). I play fast and pay cash, pick up the extra ball baskets on the range and straighten the bag stands when I am the only one out there. I'll even mosey down the adjoining fairway and hit balls back over onto the range, while not taking a divot to do so. I fixed a tee marker once. I leave my cell phone in my vehicle. I should get paid to play golf on the courses I frequent.

• Like 1

> @tatertot said:

> > @CDM said:

> > This thread is sooo funny. Two things come to my mind.... Why 25 and why not Seniors??

> >

> > Honestly instead certain people stating why is should be done for people under 25... maybe explain why you think you should get the discount? Why just 25? Its a fact a private courses that a large percent (not all) in that age bracket have to start to paying full price they walk from the club.

> >

> > Secondary why not seniors? Should they not get golf after a certain age? _(which I am not in that age bracket, but **** sure not in the age bracket that wants everything for free)_ Seniors have paid more their fair share of taxes to help cover that "public" course you want to play free until your 25. Plus we all know private courses are NOT going to give free golf out. _*discounted yes but not free._

> >

> > Whats next free health care? Wiping out student loans? _.......... o wait........_

> >

>

> Because you "hook" young people when when they're poor, and make them pay when they get older and have more money? It's an investment, not a handout.

>

> When old people get older ... they die.

**“When old people get older…they die”** Shows your true character and respect.

Let me educate you on the model of "HOOK" them when young and why it is failing.

Pretty simple really...LIFE… and nothing more.

The theory was / is known as many are noting is you hook them when they are young for the future. Make the cost lower to get them in the door so it is affordable. Yes it helps the club generate some extra revenue that may not be there now and hopefully a future long term member.

Why it has been failing is the younger members that come in at the lower fee/initiation and ends up leaving is they end up having a family.

This young member gets married, buys a house, has kids. Around that time suddenly the DUES go up which happens right when daycare/medical/life expenses kick in for his/her family. Daycare where I live runs $1200-2000 a month depending on one kid or two and that is an average range. Suddenly that "extra" income the young member was able to use to join the club is gone,

Second most common explanation for leaving has been TIME related to family, not golf. Once young the member’s kid’s become active _(Soccer, baseball, and volleyball...sports... the travel associated)_ the member’s time is gone and the cost related to kid’s sports today is expensive. Honestly shocking at times.

Stats now show that most new members that are joining clubs in there late 40’s early 50’s actually stay in the club. All seem to site life expenses are gone and they have extra income. _Ie: Kids cost, College Funds, Mortgages, etc._

EDIT: Everyone knows theory is based on / projecting the young member making more SALARY over time and can afford the increases but its not happening with everything else going up. Sadly If you think that statement is not true then you need look at the economics nationally in this country on salary increases over that last 15 years….!

> @CDM said:

> > @tatertot said:

> > > @CDM said:

> > > This thread is sooo funny. Two things come to my mind.... Why 25 and why not Seniors??

> > >

> > > Honestly instead certain people stating why is should be done for people under 25... maybe explain why you think you should get the discount? Why just 25? Its a fact a private courses that a large percent (not all) in that age bracket have to start to paying full price they walk from the club.

> > >

> > > Secondary why not seniors? Should they not get golf after a certain age? _(which I am not in that age bracket, but **** sure not in the age bracket that wants everything for free)_ Seniors have paid more their fair share of taxes to help cover that "public" course you want to play free until your 25. Plus we all know private courses are NOT going to give free golf out. _*discounted yes but not free._

> > >

> > > Whats next free health care? Wiping out student loans? _.......... o wait........_

> > >

> >

> > Because you "hook" young people when when they're poor, and make them pay when they get older and have more money? It's an investment, not a handout.

> >

> > When old people get older ... they die.

>

> **“When old people get older…they die”** Shows your true character and respect.

>

> Let me educate you on the model of "HOOK" them when young and why it is failing.

>

> Pretty simple really...LIFE… and nothing more.

>

> The theory was / is known as many are noting is you hook them when they are young for the future. Make the cost lower to get them in the door so it is affordable. Yes it helps the club generate some extra revenue that may not be there now and hopefully a future long term member.

>

> Why it has been failing is the younger members that come in at the lower fee/initiation and ends up leaving is they end up having a family.

>

> This young member gets married, buys a house, has kids. Around that time suddenly the DUES go up which happens right when daycare/medical/life expenses kick in for his/her family. Daycare where I live runs $1200-2000 a month depending on one kid or two and that is an average range. Suddenly that "extra" income the young member was able to use to join the club is gone,

>

> Second most common explanation for leaving has been TIME related to family, not golf. Once young the member’s kid’s become active _(Soccer, baseball, and volleyball...sports... the travel associated)_ the member’s time is gone and the cost related to kid’s sports today is expensive. Honestly shocking at times.

>

> Stats now show that most new members that are joining clubs in there late 40’s early 50’s actually stay in the club. All seem to site life expenses are gone and they have extra income. _Ie: Kids cost, College Funds, Mortgages, etc._

>

> EDIT: Everyone knows theory is based on / projecting the young member making more SALARY over time and can afford the increases but its not happening with everything else going up. Sadly If you think that statement is not true then you need look at the economics nationally in this country on salary increases over that last 15 years….!

>

>

I didn't say it was a GOOD theory ... you asked why give young people free golf and not old people.

And trust me, I'm one of the old people, I know what's coming.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag