Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

As you guys can see I got off to one hell of a start. 4 under thru 5 isn't bad. Just couldn't finish the round. 1 poor short putt missed, 1 bad iron shot, and 1 bad drive led to a rough last 9 holes. > @DavePelz4 said:

> At least you weren't paired with the guy who shot 94. That had to be tough to watch.

The guy who finished DFL was the sponsor invite for the week. He is a pro hockey player. Usually all of the sponsor invites finish near the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for you guys...

After discussing with my team I decided to not pursue Q School this year. My enjoyment of the grind has diminished and I am sick of being stuck in neutral. I want to start having a life and a future. Unfortunately I don't have unlimited funds and this ties to the issue. I don't have my heart in the mini tour grind and gambling away the little funds I have left to use for day to day living doesn't seem wise to me. I have not been enjoying it and I felt if I continued to grind away I would fall out of love with golf. Its been 4 years on the Mackenzie Tour and no progression upward. That is the other part of the reason as well I decided to give it a break.

Currently I am applying for any and all positions since I have no work experience and getting into the work world won't be easy. The only career path I have found to be easy to enter is a Financial Advisor/Representative. However, this position requires a vast network of connections since its strictly 100% commission based. This is great since it has a lot of opportunity for growth but is also difficult since there is no salary and no income security. I do have an Economics Degree from UC Davis

Any advice forum? Anyone know anyone hiring?

• Like 2

Matt,

I would think any sales job would be attainable for you. ( I'm assuming you have a 2 or 4 year degree?). Sales in itself can be financially rewarding.

I know a few people that sell computer programs and furniture to the government. They do very well.

Congratulations on making a difficult decision. A lot of people refuse to do so and end up in a bad situation in life and with their finances.

If you put your mind to it sales of any kind would no doubt work for you. Financial, insurance or government sales. Furniture, computer programs etc... Sales can also allow for some golf time!!

Best of luck.

Wow, just wow! I remember that you received your degree from UC Davis, so you have that to fall back on. This must have been one tough decision to make. thank you for sharing it and everything else the past few years on here. It was a pleasure to follow. I am sure that you will land on your feet and give your next career the determination that you put into your golf game. That work ethic will take you a long way.

I can only imagine what that decision was like, but it sounds like you are making it for all of the right reasons. Good on you for leaving while you still give yourself an opportunity to enjoy golf in the future. I know too many who went the route you did, burned out, ran out of funds, and despise golf to this day.

As others have said, look into sales jobs. At least they generally come with a base salary, you get commission, and you generally have some flexibility and freedom in them to be able to enjoy things outside of just work. There is also, generally, a pretty big upside to sales as you can make nearly unlimited money as long as you are willing to put in the time and effort to get the deals. I think I'm remembering correctly that you have a degree, so hopefully that will give you at least a little bit of leg up.

I wish you nothing but the best in the future and hope that you are able to find something quickly that you love.

Congratulations on making a decision. It must be very difficult, but you sound smart and appear to be one who thinks things though. Good on ya.

Yes, there are those financial rep type jobs (many used to be called stockbrokers, but that term has disappeared). all those are what’s called the “sell side” of the financial services industry. I recommend you check out the “buy side” as well. There are many, many investment management firms that have analyst and also client service positions. An Econ degree is a good thing to have. I am speaking of firms that manage investments for institutional clients, and some higher ultra high net worth folks. these include equity and iced income managers, as well as alternative investment managers. The trick is to find good ones who have opportunities for new hires to come in and learn the business. It can be a very good industry. Where do you live?

San Francisco. Looking for something that is necessarily all commission based. So financial advisor isn't the best option since I don't have a vast network of potential new clients.

> @ebk said:

> Congratulations on making a decision. It must be very difficult, but you sound smart and appear to be one who thinks things though. Good on ya.

>

> Yes, there are those financial rep type jobs (many used to be called stockbrokers, but that term has disappeared). all those are what’s called the “sell side” of the financial services industry. I recommend you check out the “buy side” as well. There are many, many investment management firms that have analyst and also client service positions. An Econ degree is a good thing to have. I am speaking of firms that manage investments for institutional clients, and some higher ultra high net worth folks. these include equity and iced income managers, as well as alternative investment managers. The trick is to find good ones who have opportunities for new hires to come in and learn the business. It can be a very good industry. Where do you live?

If you think the mini tour grind is taxing then wait until youre working a 9-5 for "the man". Youll be back to wishin you were living the dream of grinding it out to get to the big leagues in a jiffy.

Perhaps just a year or two off from the grind will give you a new perspective. It's never too late to get into some kind of working career (i know a couple ppl with grey hair who are going back to school currently as a random example). Dont make the mistake of thinking youre old and running out of time when youre not.

That'll lead to some serious regret when youre an old sack of potatos

Cheers and gl.

Yours has been an illustrative and valuable story, since the vast majority of pro golf stories stories follow the same trajectory. Very similar to aspiring orchestral musicians, criss-crossing the country taking auditions and freelancing until they either land a job or tire of the financial and psychological pressure and look for something else. The good news is that some of the traits that keep a person striving to improve in an ultra-competitive field (self-reliance, optimism, ability to work without supervision) can translate into success in other ventures.

And there’s golf as a networking tool. It’s not my story, but I remember reading a post here years ago; a second hand recounting of an internet post is worth what it’s worth but may be encouraging. A friend of the writer had played in college and made a run at the mini-tours but ran out of money and optimism and got an entry-level job in a bank. Didn’t talk or think about golf until one of the managers asked if he played golf, was he any good. The guy said yeah, he used to play, was pretty decent. Wound up subbing for the manager with a group of bank executives, shot a 64. He was promoted the next week.

Congrats on making a difficult decision after what was obviously a 100% effort of a run. I understand the grind is/was difficult, the physical effort is much more taxing than work a day life but I’m going to tell you that you will miss the chase, so be ready for that mentally. Redirected golf pros make great sales people and not for the cliche of client golf. The mindset for prospecting and closing mirrors practicing for tournament golf then performing when your name is called. 100% commission doesn’t sound ideal but even starting from scratch you can make a living year 1 then the upside is exponential after that. If you have a base salary the commission and bonuses will be structured to cover that anyway. It is a nice safety net for sure, but after a year or two you will realize it handcuffs you a bit in most cases. Disclaimer: I’m not speaking in absolutes here, there will be some exceptions and I give it 3 posts before someone chimes in with how their brother has a friend whose wife’s son has a job that pays unlimited commissions of 75%, plus a $75k bonus on top of a 6 figure base salary and all he does is meet people for expense account golf and massages.

Give it a week or 2 before you set this in stone. You’re tired and worn out , not the time to make a life changing decision

Once you call it , it’s over. Maybe commit to one more year.

Work stinks. Wait till you’re making 50

Cold calls each day for new clients. That’s harder than golf. You have the rest of your life for a “real job. Please take your time with this decision.

• Like 2

> @GolfSRQ said:

> Give it a week or 2 before you set this in stone. You’re tired and worn out , not the time to make a life changing decision

> Once you call it , it’s over. Maybe commit to one more year.

> Work stinks. Wait till you’re making 50

> Cold calls each day for new clients. That’s harder than golf. You have the rest of your life for a “real job. Please take your time with this decision.

>

Not necessarily. Twice in my career as a musician, I gave up. I decided that I was tired of failing, of loving a profession that didn’t love me back, and decided to go into arts administration and marketing, respectively. Had job offers and everything. Both times, avenues back into music appeared, and I think the “letting go” of accepting the possibility of an alternative life gave me the freedom to play how I needed to play in order to get through the doors that opened. It’s hard not having an escape hatch.

> @GolfingBro said:

> Update for you guys...

>

> After discussing with my team I decided to not pursue Q School this year. My enjoyment of the grind has diminished and I am sick of being stuck in neutral. I want to start having a life and a future. Unfortunately I don't have unlimited funds and this ties to the issue. I don't have my heart in the mini tour grind and gambling away the little funds I have left to use for day to day living doesn't seem wise to me. I have not been enjoying it and I felt if I continued to grind away I would fall out of love with golf. Its been 4 years on the Mackenzie Tour and no progression upward. That is the other part of the reason as well I decided to give it a break.

>

> Currently I am applying for any and all positions since I have no work experience and getting into the work world won't be easy. The only career path I have found to be easy to enter is a Financial Advisor/Representative. However, this position requires a vast network of connections since its strictly 100% commission based. This is great since it has a lot of opportunity for growth but is also difficult since there is no salary and no income security. I do have an Economics Degree from UC Davis

>

> Any advice forum? Anyone know anyone hiring?

I sincerely wish you the best of luck moving forward. Your candid posts were/are very much appreciated. You have a great personality and im sure any company would jump at the chance to hire you. My advice having gone through the same thing as you is go on a ton of interviews and dont shy away from a country club job if you dont find anything you want. Its ok/so so money but keeps your foot in the door if the competitive juices come back. You get great business experience looking at #s and organizing events and so on. Just my humble 2 cents. Just wanted to thank you for sharing with us your journey. All the best my good man

We can say, bravo ! you made the right decision and you've certainly gave it a try. Or, we could say, hang in there, you're living your dream.

The fact is, you're in a situation which need to face the truth of life and get some income fast. Most of all, reading through your posts ( quickly , so I might have missed a few reply to your posts ) that you, had lost the desire to chase the dream and tired from the blows and defeat.

This, is when you should take a break from it and really think of what you want to do with your life.

There is no instant honey pot sort of job position waiting for you if your family does not have their own successfully run business. No experience is no excuse, you can start from the ground up. Question is, do you have an obtainable goal in life ? If you do, you can work toward it and get rewarded with hard work following smart planning.

Not making it on the tour is not a new story. Have you known many of the names on the Tour , present and in the past, all had some sort of fumbles and mumbles before they had established what they have. There were a thousand times of them whom had given up.

Ben Hogan had struggled at the beginning of his chase and had to quit chasing the dream at least 3 times. Each time he went home broken down financially and emotionally. He had made it with his persistence and also smart enough to know he needs to get rid of his hooks and he did, by seeking out help and work hard at it. Then he lost it all again in an automobile accident..... if you are not familiar with the story, there are some very good documentary videos on YouTube. more recently Steve Stricker is another example, and many many others.

What you're lacking now, is that you had lost the desire and gave up on chasing your dream. Need to step back a few steps and rethink of if that was your dream to begin with or just a fantasy a young man had at one time.

Whatever you do, make up your mind before you turned 40, 50, 60 then it'll be all too late to do anything.

You had lost it, now it's up to you to decide whehter to leave it out there or go after it, to find it again and never let it go.

You'll be best to realize, there is but a thin line between Excellence or Better; Success or failure. Noy hard to go over the line if you could see it and work at crossing the line.

And we only have so much time here on Earth, so get on with it. If you didn't know, you really had a previledged life , going through U.C. Davis, played on their golf team, staff with Nike Golf, played golf on severl mini and minor professional golf league.... you had more, much more than most of us would ever have, even Ben Hogan when he started his test in the fire, he had less opportunity and support then what you had.

If I were you, I'd give it another shot and do it like your life is depending on it.

Sounds like you made a great choice. Thanks for sharing the journey. Being great at golf(and many other activities) is truly a curse for many. You have to go chase it, with only the slightest chance of success. I know more than a few guys then end up being unhappy and poor club pro's folding shirts.

You seem to be a great communicator, this is the most desired skill by many employers (myself included). Keep that in mind as many young people entering the work force, have trouble relating to people and communicating. Play up this skill.

Well Matthew, I’m sorry it wasn’t what you hoped for. It’s a difficult time and decision, but unless you’ve tried it, it’s almost impossible to explain to people what it’s like.

The travel, money required, and uncertainty of schedules, all while being away from home all the time can be lonely and miserable at times. When playing well, it is certainly a great time with enormous potential, but setting long term goals while trying to pay for the next entry is pretty difficult to feel realistic on.

I’ve had to “retire” twice due to injury, one was amazingly difficult, one was surprisingly easy to walk away and move to the next stop, especially with a young child I was happy to be home for.

It’s a difficult decision, but set goals, and so not rush towards a future unless you’re certain it’s your correct path.

There are certainly a ton of people you know who would be willing to advise and give honest feedback, find the ones you know you can trust, and look for the next hill to conquer

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's so frickin hard to make it and you obviously have a lot of game. I tell the kids around our area that it's worth giving it all you have to see what happens. But mini tours are a grind. I tried as an amateur 25 years ago out of college just to see if I could compete vs the guys that were already playing minis, and quickly realized I didn't have the money needed to cover the time needed to improve my game to win anything. And I was pretty good at a +4. But the consistency to be a +4 every day in tournaments vs a +4 that shoots 66 in round 1, then follows it up with a 75, well that was going to take a ridiculous amount of work. The money aspect makes it very tough. And if you have the money, often those people don't have the drive. kind of a catch-22.

I've seen former pros do great in sales and finance jobs. Doesn't mean it's right for you. But work any connections you have locally. They are your best bet. It may take stepping stones but after a couple of years you'll be in the right place. And when the time is right, re-apply for amateur status. I've found amateur tournaments a ton of fun. I'm rarely win anything given the typical mid-am issue of family, real job, etc. But I enjoy the competition a lot and there is a lot less pressure in those than what you've dealt with the past couple of years.

Be proud of giving it your best! Peace :)

Thank you for all the comments and posts. Its interesting to read everyones thoughts on the matter as I'm guessing the majority are older and wiser than I. I'm glad to have shared an insight to the ups and downs of the past 4 years. Golf will always be in my life. Who knows, I could play a Korn Ferry Monday qualifier and get in and play great in the next few years and golf will be back on the forefront. Golf can have unexpected results. Worst case I will get my amateur status back one day. My swing coach actually wished he could be a teaching pro and play amateur golf but alas thats not possible. He said its the easiest way to play in the Masters...if there is such a thing...but the Mid am is a good route for that.

In other news I was pursuing a real estate salesperson license this past year. Today I went into the DRE and officially passed and am now a California Licensed Real estate salesperson. It will most likely be a side gig until I start getting some clients and then referrals. Finding housings and finding buyers for homes will be fun! So all y'all come to California and buy a house with me. lol

• Like 2

> @GolfingBro said:

> Thank you for all the comments and posts. Its interesting to read everyones thoughts on the matter as I'm guessing the majority are older and wiser than I. I'm glad to have shared an insight to the ups and downs of the past 4 years. Golf will always be in my life. Who knows, I could play a Korn Ferry Monday qualifier and get in and play great in the next few years and golf will be back on the forefront. Golf can have unexpected results. Worst case I will get my amateur status back one day. My swing coach actually wished he could be a teaching pro and play amateur golf but alas thats not possible. He said its the easiest way to play in the Masters...if there is such a thing...but the Mid am is a good route for that.

>

> In other news I was pursuing a real estate salesperson license this past year. Today I went into the DRE and officially passed and am now a California Licensed Real estate salesperson. It will most likely be a side gig until I start getting some clients and then referrals. Finding housings and finding buyers for homes will be fun! So all y'all come to California and buy a house with me. lol

If I recall, Bobby Jones spent several years selling real estate as well ..... so you have a good role model if you migrate back to the amateur game. Thanks so much for the courage to share the ups and downs with your followers. Best of luck!!

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Very solid move on the RE license, it’s worth your full efforts as a career.

I have always disliked the “easiest way to play The Masters” talk about reinstated ams. It’s 1 guy per year that gets the invite and to get it you have to qualify for the mid am, then make the cut for match play and ....... then win The United States Mid Amateur. It’s almost impossible to do.

> @GolfingBro said:

> Thank you for all the comments and posts. Its interesting to read everyones thoughts on the matter as I'm guessing the majority are older and wiser than I. I'm glad to have shared an insight to the ups and downs of the past 4 years. Golf will always be in my life. Who knows, I could play a Korn Ferry Monday qualifier and get in and play great in the next few years and golf will be back on the forefront. Golf can have unexpected results. Worst case I will get my amateur status back one day. My swing coach actually wished he could be a teaching pro and play amateur golf but alas thats not possible. He said its the easiest way to play in the Masters...if there is such a thing...but the Mid am is a good route for that.

>

> In other news I was pursuing a real estate salesperson license this past year. Today I went into the DRE and officially passed and am now a California Licensed Real estate salesperson. It will most likely be a side gig until I start getting some clients and then referrals. Finding housings and finding buyers for homes will be fun! So all y'all come to California and buy a house with me. lol

> @GolfingBro said:

>

Sometimes golf is like a relationship. You need to step back for a bit when there are difficult times, regain perspective and the realize that your passion for the game is still there but was off track for a bit. Clearly you have a gift and immeasurable talent to play, now it's about finding the proper outlet for your gift.

During your playing time did you ever work with a mental coach or did you feel as though you completely believed in yourself and your mind was open to the potential of consistently shooting low scores? Having coached baseball for 25 years and with an educational background in psychology, I worked with a lot of kids and even their parents, and saw limits established as opposed to having unlimited potential. The mind is such a powerful tool and if you look at the best in golf or any sport, they only believe in what they can do, not what they can't do.

About 10 years ago I wanted to improve my golf health and went through a stretching program with Dr. Paul Callaway. Paul was the original PT on the PGA tour and he shared the story of working on Jack Nicklaus's body for 3 hours the night before his historic win in 1986. As Paul stretched him, Nicklaus went through hole by hole where he was going to hit each shot during the round and he believed he was going to win the next day. Going into that event Jack wasn't exactly playing well and I think was over par the first 2 rounds IIRC. But his unmitigated belief in himself overcame a 46 year old battle worn body and the rest is history.

If it's real estate, a relationship or golf, always believe in what you can do and don't let anyone set limits on your potential.

> @rwc356 said:

> > @GolfingBro said:

> > Thank you for all the comments and posts. Its interesting to read everyones thoughts on the matter as I'm guessing the majority are older and wiser than I. I'm glad to have shared an insight to the ups and downs of the past 4 years. Golf will always be in my life. Who knows, I could play a Korn Ferry Monday qualifier and get in and play great in the next few years and golf will be back on the forefront. Golf can have unexpected results. Worst case I will get my amateur status back one day. My swing coach actually wished he could be a teaching pro and play amateur golf but alas thats not possible. He said its the easiest way to play in the Masters...if there is such a thing...but the Mid am is a good route for that.

> >

> > In other news I was pursuing a real estate salesperson license this past year. Today I went into the DRE and officially passed and am now a California Licensed Real estate salesperson. It will most likely be a side gig until I start getting some clients and then referrals. Finding housings and finding buyers for homes will be fun! So all y'all come to California and buy a house with me. lol

>

> If I recall, Bobby Jones spent several years selling real estate as well ..... so you have a good role model if you migrate back to the amateur game. Thanks so much for the courage to share the ups and downs with your followers. Best of luck!!

Yeah, Bobby sold a house in Atlanta for 15 Pounds. It needed a bit of work.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @GolfingBro said:

> > Thank you for all the comments and posts. Its interesting to read everyones thoughts on the matter as I'm guessing the majority are older and wiser than I. I'm glad to have shared an insight to the ups and downs of the past 4 years. Golf will always be in my life. Who knows, I could play a Korn Ferry Monday qualifier and get in and play great in the next few years and golf will be back on the forefront. Golf can have unexpected results. Worst case I will get my amateur status back one day. My swing coach actually wished he could be a teaching pro and play amateur golf but alas thats not possible. He said its the easiest way to play in the Masters...if there is such a thing...but the Mid am is a good route for that.

> >

> > In other news I was pursuing a real estate salesperson license this past year. Today I went into the DRE and officially passed and am now a California Licensed Real estate salesperson. It will most likely be a side gig until I start getting some clients and then referrals. Finding housings and finding buyers for homes will be fun! So all y'all come to California and buy a house with me. lol

>

> Sometimes golf is like a relationship. You need to step back for a bit when there are difficult times, regain perspective and the realize that your passion for the game is still there but was off track for a bit. Clearly you have a gift and immeasurable talent to play, now it's about finding the proper outlet for your gift.

>

> During your playing time did you ever work with a mental coach or did you feel as though you completely believed in yourself and your mind was open to the potential of consistently shooting low scores? Having coached baseball for 25 years and with an educational background in psychology, I worked with a lot of kids and even their parents, and saw limits established as opposed to having unlimited potential. The mind is such a powerful tool and if you look at the best in golf or any sport, they only believe in what they can do, not what they can't do.

>

> About 10 years ago I wanted to improve my golf health and went through a stretching program with Dr. Paul Callaway. Paul was the original PT on the PGA tour and he shared the story of working on Jack Nicklaus's body for 3 hours the night before his historic win in 1986. As Paul stretched him, Nicklaus went through hole by hole where he was going to hit each shot during the round and he believed he was going to win the next day. Going into that event Jack wasn't exactly playing well and I think was over par the first 2 rounds IIRC. But his unmitigated belief in himself overcame a 46 year old battle worn body and the rest is history.

>

> If it's real estate, a relationship or golf, always believe in what you can do and don't let anyone set limits on your potential.

Wow - you are just as good as the real Dave Pelz!

• Like 1