Places near downtown Houston to play after work

kingwood hacker

I'm going to be in Houston next week for work and will be staying downtown.

I haven't played anywhere in town since before the hurricane. What are some relatively good places within 10 or 15 minutes of downtown that I could Uber to and play after 5?

I had heard that they were renovating memorial, and I read another thread on here about gus wortham recently being worked over. I've played Herman park a few times but that was all before Harvey.

Any input would be appreciated.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wildcat lakes(hate the Par 5s though) but 15 minutes at that time might be pushing it.

what date you wanting to golf? I would join but not back from Scotland for 10 days. always looking for folk to play with.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

never played the Gus Worthum, looks perfect for a mid week single course. is it busy during weekdays like Memorial was?

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

just got into town this morning. I probably won't head over there until tomorrow or wednesday. I'll update after I play and let you guys know how it was.

On another note, my buddy called yesterday and wants to play Tour 18 on friday because they have golf boards. I am for sure down to try those out. I used to live in Atascocita and played tour 18 almost weekly, but not since I moved in 2014. Curious to see what kind of shape it's in.

• 2 months later...

Update...I’m in Houston (from Long Island) visiting relocated son during 8/20/2019-08/27/2019. Staying in downtown valentine st at son’s apartment (wifey w me too)....

similar situation. Near downtown golf for weekday golf but during am (Sat going up to Dallas to jerry world Texans/cowboys) ...I’ll play in the am while wifey cleans/shops to fix up apartment.

Targeting...

1. The Gus. Seems to be on a trolly line. I can commute there? Non-resident rate applies?

2. Herman Park? I can also trolly there. It seems. Is a decent experience? Meet some nice folks? Get home before noon?

3. Pearl and, clear creek are nearby to west downtown. Do an Uber. Which one to play?

4. Top 18 has a pull on me. Worth going out of town a bit? Or is wildcat a better closer easier option?

5. Me? Although a member of a nice Long Island course, I LOVE a good muni. So I’m open to any thing with a few interesting wrinkles. Sharpstown? I guess I’m non -resident rates. It’s a vacation week and want to get some scores in. I can’t imagine 7 days off and didn’t golf

6. Thinking of shipsticks to son’s apartment. Bringing backup bag of course. Ping eye 2 type set.

7. I’m a 12 handicap and I’m 58 so don’t need to play blue tees at the Houston open course. Just wanna get some exercise, meet the local folks, get back at noon to chaperone wifey to some tourist sites and hit an Astro game at night (playing at home every day of my trip).

8. Some culinary suggestions for west downtown would be helpful...Prefer Asian food first, then barbecue

Thanks. I don’t post often but love this golf community

i lived in houston before moving back home 5 years ago ... pearl (pearland?) and clear creek are a decent enough ... probably go pearland, but might want to check on greens ... i have never heard of anyone having a good exp at tour 18 ... played it 3 years ago and it was in, shall we say, less than optimal shape ... and the holes don't really mimic the originals that much ... wildcat would def be better, but if you were willing to go to tour 18, then cypress tradition is a sure bet ... might want to check out deerpark battleground, also ... herman park is very tight and short, so you could leave a few clubs at your sons' ... don't know what they've done at gus ... don't think the munis charge for out of state/non resident ... i don't recall having to show ID when i played memorial ... far as food, there are plenty of options in the western part of downtown ... highly ranked bbq joints, solid neighborhood places ... houstonians are extremely trendy, so hot today isn't hot tomorrow, regardless of quality of food, though Backstreet Cafe has stood the test of time, imo ... i ate quite a bit at Giamacos italian when i was there because the food and prices are exceptional ... there are probably a million high end bbq places now ...

Cypresswood tradition was awesome yesterday. 3 hour round teeing off just after 4pm. by far my favourite course in Houston, worth the 30 minute drive for me. I try to play it weekly.

Blackhorse North was ok this week also, 3 week old hollow timed greens that have not healed yet since it has been so dry.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @"Night Putter" said:

> Update...I’m in Houston (from Long Island) visiting relocated son during 8/20/2019-08/27/2019. Staying in downtown valentine st at son’s apartment (wifey w me too)....

> similar situation. Near downtown golf for weekday golf but during am (Sat going up to Dallas to jerry world Texans/cowboys) ...I’ll play in the am while wifey cleans/shops to fix up apartment.

> Targeting...

> 1. The Gus. Seems to be on a trolly line. I can commute there? Non-resident rate applies?

> 2. Herman Park? I can also trolly there. It seems. Is a decent experience? Meet some nice folks? Get home before noon?

> 3. Pearl and, clear creek are nearby to west downtown. Do an Uber. Which one to play?

> 4. Top 18 has a pull on me. Worth going out of town a bit? Or is wildcat a better closer easier option?

> 5. Me? Although a member of a nice Long Island course, I LOVE a good muni. So I’m open to any thing with a few interesting wrinkles. Sharpstown? I guess I’m non -resident rates. It’s a vacation week and want to get some scores in. I can’t imagine 7 days off and didn’t golf

>

> 6. Thinking of shipsticks to son’s apartment. Bringing backup bag of course. Ping eye 2 type set.

>

> 7. I’m a 12 handicap and I’m 58 so don’t need to play blue tees at the Houston open course. Just wanna get some exercise, meet the local folks, get back at noon to chaperone wifey to some tourist sites and hit an Astro game at night (playing at home every day of my trip).

>

> 8. Some culinary suggestions for west downtown would be helpful...Prefer Asian food first, then barbecue

>

> Thanks. I don’t post often but love this golf community

>

>

1. Gus Wortham is the best muni in town. Fun layout with elevation changes. Walkable. Good condition. 6400 from the back tees. None of the other munis are worth playing (Memorial Park is under construction). From the downtown central Metro station at Rusk, take the green rail line which leaves every 12 minutes. It's a 16 minute ride to Gus, which is the 7th stop. Take a snack - there's no food at Gus right now.

2. Hermann can't hold a candle to Gus.

3. Neither.

4. Tour 18 is overrated IMO. But I understand the allure if you've never played it. Still, if you are willing to drive 30 mins, play Cypresswood Tradition. If you are willing to drive an hour, consider Woodforest, High Meadow Ranch, Eagle Pointe or Wilderness.

5. If you like Munis, you'll like Gus. Sharpstown is a goat ranch.

8. Best BBQ near downtown is Pit Room, Truth and Pinkertons. Truth usually runs out by 4 pm so consider it to be lunch only. The other two are open for dinner.

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

Gus Wortham was recently redone by Houston Golf Assoc and it is very good shape. Greens are a bit hard because they are new but overall course is in good condition. No amenities at all. Operating out of a trailer with only a taco trailer to provide food.

Hermann Park...last I heard was not in very good shape. Definitely close to downtown but don't expect much.

"Pearl"?...not sure what you are referring to here. Pearland Golf Club maybe. Drove by it couple weeks ago. From road, looked like in decent shape.

Clear Creek, last time I played it...it was rough around the edges. Bunkers not in good shape at all. Other than that...greens were good and fairways were ok.

Tour 18...bunkers are simply horrible. Rest of the course is ok.

Wildcat...Lakes as you can imagine has lots of water. But fun to play. Highlands...only problem with it, you never know whether the "native grass" will be knee high and defining the fairways really well or if it will be mowed down and not really much to deal with if you have to hit out of it. More scenic for sure. I would play Wildcat over Tour 18.

I haven't been to Sharpstown in probably 20+ years. Can't say much about it.

If I can provide you any info on any other courses, shoot me a message and I will do my best to answer.

If willing to drive an hour, the Wilderness is worth every minute of the drive.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

> @tiderider said:

> probably go pearland, but might want to

i have never heard of anyone having a good exp at tour 18 ... played it 3 years ago and it was in, shall we say, less than optimal shape ...

deerpark battleground, also ...

herman park is very tight and short, so you could leave a few clubs at your sons' ...

don't think the munis charge for out of state/non resident

i ate quite a bit at Giamacos italian

Thank you. Great advice that will be taken!

I’ll skip Top 18

Giamacos? I’m sure to get pizza urge at least once in my 7 days.

> 1. Gus Wortham is the best muni in town.

It's a 16 minute ride to Gus, which is the 7th stop. Take a snack - there's no food at Gus right now.

> 4. Tour 18 is overrated IMO.

> 8. Best BBQ near downtown is Pit Room, Truth and Pinkertons. Truth usually runs out by 4 pm so consider it to be lunch only. The other two are open for dinner.

1. Gus is my place

2. I’m not making the effort for tour 18

3. I will do Truth for lunch and Pinkerton for dinner

4. Thank you!

> @RickK said:

> Gus Wortham was recently redone by Houston Golf Assoc and it is very good shape. Greens are a bit hard because they are new but overall course is in good condition. No amenities at all. Operating out of a trailer with only a taco trailer to provide food.

> Hermann Park...last I heard was not in very good shape. Definitely close to downtown but don't expect much.

> Wildcat...Lakes as you can imagine has lots of water.

Thanks for the offer Rick

I’m gonna definitely go to Gus on the trolly

I’m gonna try and get to wildcat

I might do a twilight at Herman

> @"Night Putter" said:

> 1. Gus is my place

> 2. I’m not making the effort for tour 18

> 3. I will do Truth for lunch and Pinkerton for dinner

> 4. Thank you!

Does no one here have love for Gatlins? I go weekly.

Pinkertons I love but ends up expensive.

Truth I have never been to yet as not a fan of any of their sides. How is the price compared to the others?

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @"Night Putter" said:

> Gus Wortham is a good place to start next wed

Besides Gus Wortham (8 miles from downtown) and Wildcat (12 miles), other courses close to downtown worth considering (assuming the greens haven't been recently punched):

Golf Club of Houston Tournament course (18 miles)

Timber Creek (21 miles)

Quail Valley El Dorado (22 miles)

Cypresswood Tradition (25 miles)

GCOH will hold the Houston Open in October. It's usually in real good shape in September. Maybe now too...

Tradition is just north of the Bush Airport property line. Pretty easy to get there, as there are three ways to get to Bush (45, Hardy Toll Road and 59).

PS I don't personally care for Wildcat. Bunkers often lack sand.

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.