KF Tour Championship...Daniel Berger??

SkiSchoolPro

Surprised how little talk there has been about the KF Finals and battle to get Tour Cards...Yes, I know Hovland and some others have gotten mentioned, but not much talk about other players who have been on the big stage for 1+ years struggling to keep their cards.

Does anyone know what is going on with Daniel Berger? I recall he had an injury (wrist?) and finished 131 in the FEC. With his last PGA Tour win in 2017, it would seem that he would have conditional status or maybe some medical extension. Looks like he skipped the first final events, but is playing this weekend??

I know he has played a heavy schedule, but a bit surprised that Hovland skipped this event with a chance to finish #1 (which give a Players invite as well as a full card that is not subject to the re-shuffle).

Other guys looking to play their way into cards for next year include:

Projected Starting

Justin Harding 20 13

Grayson Murray 25 14

Curtis Luck 17 15

Rob Oppenheim 21 16

Joseph Bramlett 1 17

Ben Martin 36 19

Dawie van der Walt T37 T23

Hank Lebioda T37 T23

Harris English 19 T26

T.J. Vogel T46 T26

Johnson Wagner T46 T26

Doug Ghim 45 29

Billy Hurley III 43 30

Jonathan Byrd 44 T31

Scott Langley 54 T31

Dominic Bozzelli 30 37

Davis Riley 8 43

Blayne Barber 62 T44

Steven Alker T64 T44

Cody Gribble 66 47

Fabián Gómez 29 T51

D.J. Trahan 42 T53

Richy Werenski 49 T53

Peter Uihlein 60 T53

Steve LeBrun 68 T53

Shawn Stefani 71 T53

Ollie Schniederjans 72 58

Brett Stegmaier 78 59

Ben Kohles 84 65

John Oda T88 T67

Julián Etulain 22 T70

Wes Roach 48 T72

Martin Flores 93 76

Zack Sucher 96 79

Whee Kim 61 T80

Hunter Mahan T73 T82

Freddie Jacobson T73 T82

Ben Crane T73 T82

Erik Compton T85 T82

Jamie Lovemark T85 T82

Morgan Hoffmann T98 T82

Daniel Berger T98 T82

Stewart Cink T98 T82

Nicholas Lindheim T98 T82

Andrew Svoboda T98 T82

Stephan Jaeger T98 T82

Kevin Stadler T98 T82

Smylie Kaufman T98 T82

l80qxcyxmeq2.png

The course look's punishing. If the wind blows, there will be a lot of big numbers.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Well some of these guys definitely feeling the pressure. Jamie Arnold and Kevin Dougherty come to mind. Good players but its a tough way to make a living.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

> @SkiSchoolPro said:

> Surprised how little talk there has been about the KF Finals and battle to get Tour Cards...Yes, I know Hovland and some others have gotten mentioned, but not much talk about other players who have been on the big stage for 1+ years struggling to keep their cards.

>

> Does anyone know what is going on with Daniel Berger? I recall he had an injury (wrist?) and finished 131 in the FEC. With his last PGA Tour win in 2017, it would seem that he would have conditional status or maybe some medical extension. Looks like he skipped the first final events, but is playing this weekend??

>

Berger has some exempt status for 2019/2020 playing out of PGA Tour Priority Status Category 32 (FEC finishers 126-150). He took a flyer playing this week hoping to finish high enough that he would get his PGA Tour card for 2019/2020. If he does get it he is then playing out of a higher priority ranking for next season which equals more starts.

The twist for Berger is that he will likely begin next season on a Medical Exemption due to his injuries from last season that cost him events played in the fall. If he meets the FEC points total for his medical exemption he will play out of higher priority category in 2019/2020 giving him more starts on tour. If not his still has his limited playing status and sponsor exemptions. The downside of playing out of the 126-250 catergory is not being able to plan your schedule in advance.

> @grm24 said:

> > @SkiSchoolPro said:

> > Surprised how little talk there has been about the KF Finals and battle to get Tour Cards...Yes, I know Hovland and some others have gotten mentioned, but not much talk about other players who have been on the big stage for 1+ years struggling to keep their cards.

> >

> > Does anyone know what is going on with Daniel Berger? I recall he had an injury (wrist?) and finished 131 in the FEC. With his last PGA Tour win in 2017, it would seem that he would have conditional status or maybe some medical extension. Looks like he skipped the first final events, but is playing this weekend??

> >

> Berger has some exempt status for 2019/2020 playing out of PGA Tour Priority Status Category 32 (FEC finishers 126-150). He took a flyer playing this week hoping to finish high enough that he would get his PGA Tour card for 2019/2020. If he does get it he is then playing out of a higher priority ranking for next season which equals more starts.

>

> The twist for Berger is that he will likely begin next season on a Medical Exemption due to his injuries from last season that cost him events played in the fall. If he meets the FEC points total for his medical exemption he will play out of higher priority category in 2019/2020 giving him more starts on tour. If not his still has his limited playing status and sponsor exemptions. The downside of playing out of the 126-250 catergory is not being able to plan your schedule in advance.

I sorta figured that, but was curious why he didn't play the earlier KFF events to give himself a better shot at improving his status?? Maybe he thought it was better to be best prepared for the start of the '19-'20 season when he will likely get to use his med starts rather than improve his KFF odds?

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Tom Lewis.

>

> Takes a flyer and comes over from the UK for a week and leads by two after three rounds.

>

>

He’s having a great week and I’m a fan of his. Surprised he hadn’t had more of an impact. I may be reading it right but....... if he finishes t6 or better he secures a Tour card for next year?

One start all year an 6th gets him a tour card???? That doesn’t sound fair to me. A lot of guys playing all year, just miss out and a guy can play one event and get a card.

All about timing I guess ?

> @"No Gimmes" said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > Tom Lewis.

> >

> > Takes a flyer and comes over from the UK for a week and leads by two after three rounds.

> >

> >

> He’s having a great week and I’m a fan of his. Surprised he hadn’t had more of an impact. I may be reading it right but....... if he finishes t6 or better he secures a Tour card for next year?

> One start all year an 6th gets him a tour card???? That doesn’t sound fair to me. A lot of guys playing all year, just miss out and a guy can play one event and get a card.

> All about timing I guess ?

Lewis is a world class player so it's not really a surprise he's playing so well..at least thru the first 54 holes. He earned enough non member Fedex points during the PGA season to participate in the Finals. Each player that qualified for the KF Finals (Top 75 on the KF tour, 126-200 on the PGA tour in fedex points, non members with enough points, medical exempt players) had the opportunity to play the 3 events to earn a PGA card so it sounds fair to me. A solo 6th in any of the 3 events should've been enough to secure a card..The guys who just missed out on the 25 PGA cards given out a few weeks ago thru the regular season KF tour can still secure a card with a high finish in any of the 3 tournaments too..

As for Berger not really sure why he bypassed the first 2 events except possibly he's mainly playing the KF TC as a tuneup before the swing season where he will have a medical exemption in his back pocket? I don't know...

I noticed that there were a few others w/ medical exemptions, Kevin Chappell comes to mind, that didn't play all the events and seemed to be using it as a vehicle to get back in golf shape. Then there is also Grayson Murray also with a medical exemption but looks like he won't need it and will likely finish top 25 in the playoffs. It just seems to be an eclectic mix of young kids, journeyman vets, overseas players, guys coming back from injury, etc.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Tom Lewis.

>

> Takes a flyer and comes over from the UK for a week and leads by two after three rounds.

>

>

Yeah quite impressive. I saw his interview after round 2 and its kind of unclear what he's intending to do as he stated he remains committed to the ET.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Having fun watching this. Come on DJ. Sink this damn putt!

Amazing to see how many flagged approaches these guys are hitting. Everybody is just going at anything. No choice .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Bam! So glad to see Trahan get his card back. Look to see him have a good season coming up without the pressure of playing on exemptions/qualifying etc ....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Werenski finished #126 in the Fed Ex Cup standings and winds up T24th in the playoffs making it by a shot.

Justin Harding starts the week #13, misses the cut and has 13 golfers pass him.

Tom Lewis will move up to #63 in the world.

Scottie Scheffler gets the #1 spot and a place in the TPC.

• Like 1

> @snizzle said:

> > @"No Gimmes" said:

> > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > Tom Lewis.

> > >

> > > Takes a flyer and comes over from the UK for a week and leads by two after three rounds.

> > >

> > >

> > He’s having a great week and I’m a fan of his. Surprised he hadn’t had more of an impact. I may be reading it right but....... if he finishes t6 or better he secures a Tour card for next year?

> > One start all year an 6th gets him a tour card???? That doesn’t sound fair to me. A lot of guys playing all year, just miss out and a guy can play one event and get a card.

> > All about timing I guess ?

>

> Lewis is a world class player so it's not really a surprise he's playing so well..at least thru the first 54 holes. He earned enough non member Fedex points during the PGA season to participate in the Finals. Each player that qualified for the KF Finals (Top 75 on the KF tour, 126-200 on the PGA tour in fedex points, non members with enough points, medical exempt players) had the opportunity to play the 3 events to earn a PGA card so it sounds fair to me. A solo 6th in any of the 3 events should've been enough to secure a card..The guys who just missed out on the 25 PGA cards given out a few weeks ago thru the regular season KF tour can still secure a card with a high finish in any of the 3 tournaments too..

> As for Berger not really sure why he bypassed the first 2 events except possibly he's mainly playing the KF TC as a tuneup before the swing season where he will have a medical exemption in his back pocket? I don't know...

> I noticed that there were a few others w/ medical exemptions, Kevin Chappell comes to mind, that didn't play all the events and seemed to be using it as a vehicle to get back in golf shape. **Then there is also Grayson Murray also with a medical exemption but looks like he won't need it and will likely finish top 25 in the playoffs.** It just seems to be an eclectic mix of young kids, journeyman vets, overseas players, guys coming back from injury, etc.

If Murray is granted medical exemption starts for 2019/2020 he will play out of that priority category so he can try to earn enough FEC points to equal/better 125th place in FEC points for 2018/2019. If he does that he will have a higher priority ranking for 2019/2020 (Category 20) than what he earned from the KFT Finals (Category 26) which means more starts. If he does not earn enough FEC points when his medical exemption runs out he will simply revert to playing out of Category 26 that he earned in the KFT playoffs. This situation happened with Sang Moon Bae last year.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> Werenski finished #126 in the Fed Ex Cup standings and winds up T24th in the playoffs making it by a shot.

>

> Justin Harding starts the week #13, misses the cut and has 13 golfers pass him.

>

Harding played all 4 majors and the KF Tour Championship this year. I wonder if anyone has done that before.

> @SkiSchoolPro said:

> Does anyone know what is going on with Daniel Berger? I recall he had an injury (wrist?) and finished 131 in the FEC. With his last PGA Tour win in 2017, it would seem that he would have conditional status or maybe some medical extension.

>

Bringing this one back around for Berger. The PGA Tour Medical Extension list for 2019/2020 is now available. Berger has 5 starts to earn 14.512 FEC points to get his exemption back. Should be easy enough to do. Based on the FEC points distribution for a regular PGA Tour event he only needs to finish solo 41st or better to earn his card back.

https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/medical-extensions.html

https://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fedexcup-point-distribution--pga-tour-season.html

> @grm24 said:

> > @SkiSchoolPro said:

> > Does anyone know what is going on with Daniel Berger? I recall he had an injury (wrist?) and finished 131 in the FEC. With his last PGA Tour win in 2017, it would seem that he would have conditional status or maybe some medical extension.

> >

> Bringing this one back around for Berger. The PGA Tour Medical Extension list for 2019/2020 is now available. Berger has 5 starts to earn 14.512 FEC points to get his exemption back. Should be easy enough to do. Based on the FEC points distribution for a regular PGA Tour event he only needs to finish solo 41st or better to earn his card back.

>

> https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/medical-extensions.html

> https://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fedexcup-point-distribution--pga-tour-season.html

>

>

Thank you for posting that! Some of the names on that list were surprising, and answered a few questions about why a few guys fell off the earth.

• Like 1

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

• 3 weeks later...

> @grm24 said:

> > @SkiSchoolPro said:

> > Does anyone know what is going on with Daniel Berger? I recall he had an injury (wrist?) and finished 131 in the FEC. With his last PGA Tour win in 2017, it would seem that he would have conditional status or maybe some medical extension.

> >

> Bringing this one back around for Berger. The PGA Tour Medical Extension list for 2019/2020 is now available. Berger has 5 starts to earn 14.512 FEC points to get his exemption back. Should be easy enough to do. Based on the FEC points distribution for a regular PGA Tour event he only needs to finish solo 41st or better to earn his card back.

>

> https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/medical-extensions.html

> https://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fedexcup-point-distribution--pga-tour-season.html

>

>

With his T23 this week Daniel Berger earned enough FEC points to regain full playing privileges for the 2019/2020 season.