PXG Initial Quality/Build issues?

Philomathesq

So, I ordered a set of PXG Gen2 XF's after a fitting; I got the same distance out of the T's and P's, but the XF was, obviously, more forgiving on mishits, which I have more often than I'd like to admit. They are stock other than being one degree flat and with DG 120 X100.

I've had them for about a week and things have felt a bit off. I'm not a club tech by any means, so I'm not schooled in how to measure the lengths of clubs. However, as you can see in the photo below, the lengths appear to be way off. The clubs are arranged 4-PW (top to bottom). The butt ends of the clubs are up against a level and I have an alignment stick running level across the top of the clubs and touching the 4.

As you can see, the 6 and 7 appear to be the same length, and when putting the clubs next to each other, they appear to be the same length. The 8 is much shorter than the 7, and the difference between the two is greater than expected. The 8/9/PW appear almost the same size.

I compared the PXG 7-iron with my NLG 7-iron (both of which are supposed to be 37"), and the PXG is at least 1/2" longer. I imagine that, because of the length issues with the PXG'S, the swing weights are also off, which explains why they feel off.

Obviously, I've already reached out to PXG (haven't received a response yet), but I want to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue and, if so, what the resolution was.

76r3b4ce1krq.jpeg

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Here are the specs.

sdjjvnlyxws6.png

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

> @Ger21 said:

> Here are the specs.

>

> sdjjvnlyxws6.png

>

I know what the specs are _supposed_ to be, but that isn't the point of my post. My 6 and 7 irons are effectively the same length, and the 7 iron is about an inch longer than the 8 iron, neither of which are proper. My question is whether someone else has had a similar issue and, if so, what resolution they received from PXG, assuming they were notified.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"

I bought a set of Gen 1's and had a simular issue with QC. They sent me a shipping label and I returned but unfortunately they did not hard step the one's that needed replaced and I had to send back again. Took almost 3 weeks to resolve the issue. I was not happy! I would give them a call tomrrow though.

> @JDMRN81 said:

> I bought a set of Gen 1's and had a simular issue with QC. They sent me a shipping label and I returned but unfortunately they did not hard step the one's that needed replaced and I had to send back again. Took almost 3 weeks to resolve the issue. I was not happy! I would give them a call tomrrow though.

Thanks for the comment. I've reached out to them already and my fitter texted me to see if we can setup a time for him to inspect the clubs and figure out what happened.

A thing I noticed with my old 0311Ts was ... the balance seemed weird. They felt like they wanted to set up a good couple degrees closed. Like, pretty much any club - if you hand it to me blindfolded, I can grip it in the air and feel when it's square to my grip. This is actually the first thing I do in my pre-shot routine. Minus the blindfold.

I dunno if this was due to some specific weight pattern they put in the toe - I did a fitting for them and wasn't aware of any additional toe weight - but my natural shot is a draw so I surely don't need any help with that. But once I noticed it, I couldn't get it out of my head and it's the primary reason I wound up getting rid of them.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Sorry to hear this I guess I was lucky my build was perfect and I absolutely love my irons. If they are indeed not cut to proper lengths I would certainly hope they fix it.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

PXG -Nobody makes clubs like we do. Period. YIKES!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

I too got fitted when the Gen 1's and 2's came out. When I received both sets everything was spot on. I imagine that all of the OEM's have a few sets get out that aren't exactly to spec as ordered. BUT, PXG does ( or presents themselves as such ) say that they are a better club. I am a PXG fanboy but that is pretty shotty work and PXG should go out of there way to make this right however you see fit.

Keep us in the loop!!

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I recently watched a YouTube video of a seminar that two guys from the shop that did my fitting gave to a group of local club pros.

One piece of advice that they gave is to measure the length & lie of custom clubs when arrive from the manufacturer.

The point they made was that the member/customer bought their clubs from the shop, not the manufacturer. If there is something wrong with the clubs and those clubs are delivered to the customer, then the shop/pro is just as at fault as the manufacturer is.

They said to give an estimated delivery of about a week longer than they actually expect. That way, if there is something wrong, they have the ability to correct it without the customer ever even knowing. Conversely, if there are no problems, then the customer is happy to get theitlr clubs a week earlier than they expected.

When I received my 0211 irons and played a couple rounds with them something felt off, I contacted my fitter, he met me a few days later st a local range and we both hit them. He agreed something was off. Finally after about 40 minutes or so he put my 7 iron on a swing weight machine. I believe they came in at C7. Supposed to be at D0. Apparently they never added extra weight at the club head to compensate for the midsized grips I ordered. But within a few days PXG sent me 7 new standard size grips. Now I couldn’t be happier. I could of sent all the clubs back to be re swing weighted but I was fine with the standard grips. Hopefully your fitter helps you out like mine did.

> @Philomathesq said:

> > @JDMRN81 said:

> > I bought a set of Gen 1's and had a simular issue with QC. They sent me a shipping label and I returned but unfortunately they did not hard step the one's that needed replaced and I had to send back again. Took almost 3 weeks to resolve the issue. I was not happy! I would give them a call tomrrow though.

>

> Thanks for the comment. I've reached out to them already and my fitter texted me to see if we can setup a time for him to inspect the clubs and figure out what happened.

Where were you fitted and who built the clubs?

I was fitted by a PXG employee/fitter through the Heroes Program. The clubs were sent to me directly from PXG in Scottsdale, so I presume they were built by someone at PXG.

Spoke with my fitter today and we are trying to setup a follow-up appointment so he can take a look at the clubs. I will update once I have met with him.

I said I would post an update, so here it is. Hopefully, it won't be the last. Despite speaking with my fitter last week about the issue and his acknowledgement that something looks wrong (based on some additional photos), he has failed to respond to any of my requests for guidance as to what to do next. When we spoke on the phone, he said I should schedule a time to meet with him so he can try to fix the issue, but he wouldn't commit to a time on the phone. I've sent him few texts/emails since then to schedule a meeting but have received no response.

I'd hate to go over his head and call PXG corporate (he is a direct PXG employee), but at this point, that may be my only option. I'm going to give it until the end of the week and if he still hasn't responded, I'm going to reach out to corporate.

> @Philomathesq said:

> I said I would post an update, so here it is. Hopefully, it won't be the last. Despite speaking with my fitter last week about the issue and his acknowledgement that something looks wrong (based on some additional photos), he has failed to respond to any of my requests for guidance as to what to do next. When we spoke on the phone, he said I should schedule a time to meet with him so he can try to fix the issue, but he wouldn't commit to a time on the phone. I've sent him few texts/emails since then to schedule a meeting but have received no response.

>

> I'd hate to go over his head and call PXG corporate (he is a direct PXG employee), but at this point, that may be my only option. I'm going to give it until the end of the week and if he still hasn't responded, I'm going to reach out to corporate.

A lack of response is really inexcusable.

Following to see how this is handled. I've been told by PXG corporate that they measure using the USGA "plate" method, which I believe is done at 60*, regardless of the club's actual lie angle. I imagine that could cause some minor issue for some players.

Were your irons standard length, loft and lie?

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

> @dxdgenert said:

> Following to see how this is handled. I've been told by PXG corporate that they measure using the USGA "plate" method, which I believe is done at 60*, regardless of the club's actual lie angle. I imagine that could cause some minor issue for some players.

> Were your irons standard length, loft and lie?

Standard length and loft, but 1 degree flat. While it makes sense that this could cause an issue, you would expect the issue to be completely uniform (i.e. all clubs X inches off). However, my clubs seem to be all over the place.

I actually caved an called corporate today instead of waiting until the end of the week because I realized it had been 8 days since my fitter last contacted me. Corporate was great and has already given me a FedEx label to send everything back. They said they would put in new shafts (same ones) and make sure they are measured properly and they would "triple check" everything before they sent them back. The guy I spoke with gave me his name and told me he would be personally checking everything himself after they came out of QC, so I have every confidence that they will be exactly where they are supposed to be when they send them back to me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Without much notice of fanfare, I received a FedEx package in the mail today with the "new" clubs they made for me. I say "new" because they are the same heads but new shafts. I sent the clubs back on September 16th, so there was a two week turnaround time from the time I sent the clubs back to the time I received the clubs back from PXG.

My initial thoughts:

This time, the clubs meet every specification I requested (loft, lie, length, and swing weight); I also requested a different shaft - I got fit into the DG 120 X100, but they just feel too light, so I asked PXG to put DG TI X100's in, which is what I have in my other sets. I haven't yet played them, but regardless of how the feel on the course, they are built exactly as I asked, so I can't complain there. Also, and I was surprised by this, they sent me the old shafts back. So, not only did I get the clubs back to the exact specifications I requested, I also have a new set of DG 120 X100's just hanging around.

My only complaint, which is a minor one, is that the heads were not cleaned before they were sent back to me. I made sure to clean them before I sent them back, but they came back covered in oil smudges, finger prints, and dust. It's not a huge issue, and everything wiped off easily, but it would have been nice for them to do that as part of their QC process.

• Like 1