Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

So, I got to hit a few balls with the new MP-20 today (maybe 10 shots, total). My initial impression is that it's the best launch since the MP-4, but not quite as good as the MP-4.

It's softer than the MP-18, but maybe a half-step behind the MP-4. It's not the thinnest topline of the current Mizuno lineup--the JPX 919 Tour is thinner. The MP-20 has a bit of a knife-edge topline that attempts to hide the bulk, but the topline is surprisingly thick.

That being said, I found the MP-20 easy to hit, and preferred the feel to the JPX 919 Tour. I suspect it has a lower VCOG--more in line with the MP-4.

I gained about 5 yards on a few of my hits, but I had a lighter shaft in them, so it wasn't a one-to-one comparison. So, it's a good launch, and better than the MP-18 in my book, but it's not the smallest or thinnest MB out there--sort of a marriage between the MP-5 and MP-14 (which also has a surprisingly thick topline).

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> Just saw a set of MP32s in pretty good condition for sell. Anybody have any thoughts on these sticks? Thanks

I hope you bought them. I have had three sets of these over the years. Very playable blades iron. And they look amazing

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

> @dciccoritti said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @dciccoritti said:

> > > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > >...and checks up pretty damned quick. If anything I get more spin that I do with my 50 degree...

> > >

> > > This is what I'm looking to hear. Hitting the range today after work then bringing it to the course this weekend to see how it goes. Curious to see if I can gauge partial distances and get good spin.

> > >

> > >

> > My 50/54/58 are pretty old because I know how to dial in yardages, swing length and loft. This took a while (and is why I hold onto these clubs - don't want to relearn them). My point is, this may be more than a one weekend job (!). My idea is a little along Pelz idea about wedges years ago - dial in 1/2, 3/4 etc for each wedge. He said write it on your shaft. I never did that, but now i have a feel for the swing at various yards with usually 2 wedges.

>

> Yes, that's what I meant :-) Gonna practice a bit today then give it a go this weekend in a real game environment. I got 3 rounds booked. Not looking to master it just yet however I'm hoping to see some positive results that will give me the confidence to take it further and get better. 90 yards and in with partial wedges has always been the biggest strength of my game aside from those few times here and there when I get a little quick and pull it off line :-) However I've never tried the 130 to 90 yard gap with a single club so it's got me both freaked out and excited all at the same time :-) I'll update everyone on how it goes after the long weekend ?

>

Have you entertained the thought of getting a 46 degree wedge? Like a Vokey or whatever that is 46 degrees. More versatility and you're not looking for distance on a PW anyway.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @Golfjack said:

> > @dciccoritti said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > @dciccoritti said:

> > > > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > > >...and checks up pretty damned quick. If anything I get more spin that I do with my 50 degree...

> > > >

> > > > This is what I'm looking to hear. Hitting the range today after work then bringing it to the course this weekend to see how it goes. Curious to see if I can gauge partial distances and get good spin.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > My 50/54/58 are pretty old because I know how to dial in yardages, swing length and loft. This took a while (and is why I hold onto these clubs - don't want to relearn them). My point is, this may be more than a one weekend job (!). My idea is a little along Pelz idea about wedges years ago - dial in 1/2, 3/4 etc for each wedge. He said write it on your shaft. I never did that, but now i have a feel for the swing at various yards with usually 2 wedges.

> >

> > Yes, that's what I meant :-) Gonna practice a bit today then give it a go this weekend in a real game environment. I got 3 rounds booked. Not looking to master it just yet however I'm hoping to see some positive results that will give me the confidence to take it further and get better. 90 yards and in with partial wedges has always been the biggest strength of my game aside from those few times here and there when I get a little quick and pull it off line :-) However I've never tried the 130 to 90 yard gap with a single club so it's got me both freaked out and excited all at the same time :-) I'll update everyone on how it goes after the long weekend ?

> >

>

> Have you entertained the thought of getting a 46 degree wedge? Like a Vokey or whatever that is 46 degrees. More versatility and you're not looking for distance on a PW anyway.

My PW loft on my 716's is 48 (49 on my 718's). However I am contemplating a 48 Vokey to go with with my contemplation of getting the new MP-20's. Already have a spreadsheet prepared for the new bag because you know, it's fun to contemplate :-)

> @dciccoritti said:

> > @Golfjack said:

> > > @dciccoritti said:

> > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > > @dciccoritti said:

> > > > > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > > > >...and checks up pretty damned quick. If anything I get more spin that I do with my 50 degree...

> > > > >

> > > > > This is what I'm looking to hear. Hitting the range today after work then bringing it to the course this weekend to see how it goes. Curious to see if I can gauge partial distances and get good spin.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > My 50/54/58 are pretty old because I know how to dial in yardages, swing length and loft. This took a while (and is why I hold onto these clubs - don't want to relearn them). My point is, this may be more than a one weekend job (!). My idea is a little along Pelz idea about wedges years ago - dial in 1/2, 3/4 etc for each wedge. He said write it on your shaft. I never did that, but now i have a feel for the swing at various yards with usually 2 wedges.

> > >

> > > Yes, that's what I meant :-) Gonna practice a bit today then give it a go this weekend in a real game environment. I got 3 rounds booked. Not looking to master it just yet however I'm hoping to see some positive results that will give me the confidence to take it further and get better. 90 yards and in with partial wedges has always been the biggest strength of my game aside from those few times here and there when I get a little quick and pull it off line :-) However I've never tried the 130 to 90 yard gap with a single club so it's got me both freaked out and excited all at the same time :-) I'll update everyone on how it goes after the long weekend ?

> > >

> >

> > Have you entertained the thought of getting a 46 degree wedge? Like a Vokey or whatever that is 46 degrees. More versatility and you're not looking for distance on a PW anyway.

>

> My PW loft on my 716's is 48 (49 on my 718's). However I am contemplating a 48 Vokey to go with with my contemplation of getting the new MP-20's. Already have a spreadsheet prepared for the new bag because you know, it's fun to contemplate :-)

Man you gotta post it---- your equipment posts are always interesting

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @JStang said:

> I picked up a new set of MP-69's from the classifieds and I am going to give them a run. I have been playing players CB's for a while now (716 CB's, 718 CB's, Apex Pro Dot's) and I also have a set of Nike VR Pro Combo's with the 8-PW being blades. I honestly> @NRJyzr said:

> > > @NYCGolfNut said:

> > > PW is full shot only for me. Sometimes bump and runs. Fairly traditional lofts (not super traditional) at 45 or 46 (depending on which set of blades I’m playing). Then wedges are 50/54/60 or 52/56/60. The 60 is used very sparingly.

> >

> > 45* or 46* isn't exactly what I'd call a traditionally lofted PW, LOL.

>

> While it is a degree or two stronger than the weakest PW you will find today, 46 is pretty "traditional" by todays loft. Some peoples traditional is 50 degrees depending on how old you are.

You are correct on the lofts have to do with how old you are LOL. What guys my age call traditional lofts the PW can be at 50 51. Personally I am old school but most of my PWs are around 48*> I bend them up that way depending on how it affects bounce for me

> @dciccoritti said:

> > @Golfjack said:

> > > @dciccoritti said:

> > > > > @dciccoritti said:

> > > > > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > > > >...and checks up pretty damned quick. If anything I get more spin that I do with my 50 degree...

> > > > >

> > > > > This is what I'm looking to hear. Hitting the range today after work then bringing it to the course this weekend to see how it goes. Curious to see if I can gauge partial distances and get good spin.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > My 50/54/58 are pretty old because I know how to dial in yardages, swing length and loft. This took a while (and is why I hold onto these clubs - don't want to relearn them). My point is, this may be more than a one weekend job (!). My idea is a little along Pelz idea about wedges years ago - dial in 1/2, 3/4 etc for each wedge. He said write it on your shaft. I never did that, but now i have a feel for the swing at various yards with usually 2 wedges.

> > >

> > > Yes, that's what I meant :-) Gonna practice a bit today then give it a go this weekend in a real game environment. I got 3 rounds booked. Not looking to master it just yet however I'm hoping to see some positive results that will give me the confidence to take it further and get better. 90 yards and in with partial wedges has always been the biggest strength of my game aside from those few times here and there when I get a little quick and pull it off line :-) However I've never tried the 130 to 90 yard gap with a single club so it's got me both freaked out and excited all at the same time :-) I'll update everyone on how it goes after the long weekend ?

> > >

> >

> > Have you entertained the thought of getting a 46 degree wedge? Like a Vokey or whatever that is 46 degrees. More versatility and you're not looking for distance on a PW anyway.

>

> My PW loft on my 716's is 48 (49 on my 718's). However I am contemplating a 48 Vokey to go with with my contemplation of getting the new MP-20's. Already have a spreadsheet prepared for the new bag because you know, it's fun to contemplate :-)

Hit the mp20 for fun at local golf shop yesterday they feel good no doubt but how much better then the mp18 idk. Still need to try the new Titleist 620 mb when they are in to see which ones are the best butter

• Like 1

Ping G430 10.5° LST Ping Tour 2.0 Black

Titleist TSR2 15° HZRDUS Black

Titleist TSR3 19° HZRDUS Black

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

> @Kingcat990 said:

> Has anyone here dabbled in an MOI build?

If you haven't already, you might post in the club builder section. A lot of guys there know MOI builds in great detail....

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @JStang said:

> > I picked up a new set of MP-69's from the classifieds and I am going to give them a run. I have been playing players CB's for a while now (716 CB's, 718 CB's, Apex Pro Dot's) and I also have a set of Nike VR Pro Combo's with the 8-PW being blades. I honestly> @NRJyzr said:

> > > > @NYCGolfNut said:

> > > > PW is full shot only for me. Sometimes bump and runs. Fairly traditional lofts (not super traditional) at 45 or 46 (depending on which set of blades I’m playing). Then wedges are 50/54/60 or 52/56/60. The 60 is used very sparingly.

> > >

> > > 45* or 46* isn't exactly what I'd call a traditionally lofted PW, LOL.

> >

> > While it is a degree or two stronger than the weakest PW you will find today, 46 is pretty "traditional" by todays loft. Some peoples traditional is 50 degrees depending on how old you are.

>

>

> Saying it's today's loft doesn't make it traditional, it just makes it current. Or modern. I realize lofts have been that way for most of this century, but they were a lot weaker for a lot longer. To me, **that's** tradition.

>

> And yes, I know I'm nitpicking, and being a general pain. I apologize for that. But hey, it's Thursday. LOL

>

> As compensation for having to even chat about this, I should post pics of my recently acquired MP37s...

We are not comparing club heads... Just lofts man. Run wild. Golf nomenclature can get out of hand. They should just do away with names and go by lofts.

My last game I was hitting my 22 degree hybrid off the tee a lot. And, my partner, a gardener here in Japan who speaks probably one hundred words of English, says to me. "Baffy" I'm like "Pardon?"

"Baffy, good!"

So I got that going for me.

And I got a new driver and a new 56 degree Cleveland RTX4 forged coming. Wife wasn't thrilled to see the mail today. I tried to arrange for delivery when she was out, but they sent it direct to my door (More losses in translation). She seemed less impressed when I told her I was going to hit a few balls right after opening the box... Life is a bastard.

First drive with the new driver was a glaring left to left. The Tour AD IZ needs a little care and attention when you swing the damn thing, I suppose. Ended my session putting 6/7 through the uprights with nice mid/high fades. Just gotta swing'er 90%. She'll get down on her knees for you. Really impressed with the Ping LST. Those gents know how to design a club. Loved my i20 before that too. If it wasn't more expensive to buy a club than replace a shaft I'd probably still have it in the bag.

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Kingcat990 said:

> > Has anyone here dabbled in an MOI build?

> If you haven't already, you might post in the club builder section. A lot of guys there know MOI builds in great detail....

Yeah skimmed through it a bit. Lining up to do my Masda FastBlades on an MOI build, wanted to see if anyone here in the blades thread had given it a shot.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > Has anyone here dabbled in an MOI build?

> > If you haven't already, you might post in the club builder section. A lot of guys there know MOI builds in great detail....

>

> Yeah skimmed through it a bit. Lining up to do my Masda FastBlades on an MOI build, wanted to see if anyone here in the blades thread had given it a shot.

Start a topic on it —- you’ll probably get a lot of input. Howard Jones is the club building nerd’s nerd and will likely give you detailed info re process.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > Has anyone here dabbled in an MOI build?

> > > If you haven't already, you might post in the club builder section. A lot of guys there know MOI builds in great detail....

> >

> > Yeah skimmed through it a bit. Lining up to do my Masda FastBlades on an MOI build, wanted to see if anyone here in the blades thread had given it a shot.

>

> Start a topic on it —- you’ll probably get a lot of input. Howard Jones is the club building nerd’s nerd and will likely give you detailed info re process.

>

Man, if I start a topic on MOI building, Nessism is going to ferociously kick the door down on the thread and post a million links to the topic and ask me to use the search function :D. Ive searched it out, I may just PM Howard on the matter. I just don't like having to spend $489 on the necessary tool to do this appropriately

• Like 1

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > Has anyone here dabbled in an MOI build?

> > > > If you haven't already, you might post in the club builder section. A lot of guys there know MOI builds in great detail....

> > >

> > > Yeah skimmed through it a bit. Lining up to do my Masda FastBlades on an MOI build, wanted to see if anyone here in the blades thread had given it a shot.

> >

> > Start a topic on it —- you’ll probably get a lot of input. Howard Jones is the club building nerd’s nerd and will likely give you detailed info re process.

> >

>

> Man, if I start a topic on MOI building, Nessism is going to ferociously kick the door down on the thread and post a million links to the topic and ask me to use the search function :D. Ive searched it out, I may just PM Howard on the matter. I just don't like having to spend $489 on the necessary tool to do this appropriately

Ha! Fair enough... Howard can be a little over the top - but - it is possible to read thru his detail (and $489 in new tools) and get the basics to do it good enough for $26.85.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Macgregor Pro 82 Japan spec FM 6 .5 - on their way.

I've been looking for a set of these for a long time. Had a little peak online this morning and say a set up for pocket change. There's another set of these I was considering overpaying for, so I guess there is a god. I've been meaning to try FM6.5 again, so it's a pretty good deal all around.

• Like 1

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> Macgregor Pro 82 Japan spec FM 6 .5 - on their way.

>

> I've been looking for a set of these for a long time. Had a little peak online this morning and say a set up for pocket change. There's another set of these I was considering overpaying for, so I guess there is a god. I've been meaning to try FM6.5 again, so it's a pretty good deal all around.

>

>

I find that Macgregor pricing can be a bit weird on the auction sites here, but probably not as loopy as for Hogans. I can't help thinking it's down to some old guys trying recuperate the cash they forked over during the bubble years for irons that are now 30 years old.

As for the FM shafts, I like them a lot, but the 6.5 is a bit much for me. I've got some Mizunos with 5.5 (bit too soft) and Mac R58s with 6.5 (bit too stiff), so I really need to find a set with FM6.0s. That said, when I get back to playing, the 5.5s might be just right for me.

There are two more sets of the PRO 82 on Yahoo auction. One is brand new. The other looks pristine. hoping mine come something like that. The photos were a little grainy, but the shaft bands looked perfect and the heads, from what I could make out, are nice. It looks like they were being auctioned by a recycling shop in Gifu-ken. Whoever got them didn't know what they were, is my guess.

There are a few of totally unrealistic people on Yahoo auction. They probably just hope someone like themselves will swoop in and overpay for something. A lot of those sets sit there forever.

I have been really diligent about checking certain sets and have gotten rewarded a few times. This is one set I really wanted. There's a good thread on PRO 82s in the classic section. Basically, there are supposedly Miura forged and they were used by the GOAT to win the 86 Masters. Can't wait until they show up - but I have to find a safe time to get them as my wife saw another box last week. By the way, the Ping LST with Tour AD IZ 6x is pretty nice. Fades for days.

Well maybe not as exciting as Mac Pro 82s but I did hit my pristine set of FC-4000s on the range today along with the woods that came with them. My back is killing me. I guess the old body can not take those stiff heavy Pro Pels any more. A friend of mine over on the Classics forum sent them to me a year or so ago. I had played a few 9 hole rounds with them in the past. Decided to hit them yesterday. Was pureeing them yesterday and got excited and over extended myself hit 2 buckets ouch I am in agony now and in my massage chair with the heat on

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> That pristine set is kinda tempting, but still more than I'd be willing to pay. I'm assuming you paid lot less (you said pocket change), so if your set are anything like that, you've done well.

> And you got me looking at Mac irons again on Yahoo Auc, you sod!

>

> Must...resist....

You don't want to search for Tourney Custom sets. That's bad. Don't do that... Tourney Custom

5u5vvqm9myy2.jpg

After playing most of this year with cb irons (I'm sorry), I got the itch again. Found a decent deal on a set of 680 15th AE with some of the heads still in wrappers.

They are gorgeous. Definitely different from the more modern blades I've had previously. Short irons are bigger with more offset. But I like them that way. The added offset helps me a lot with partial shots, I feel.

• Like 3

> @Golfingfanatic said:

> 5u5vvqm9myy2.jpg

> After playing most of this year with cb irons (I'm sorry), I got the itch again. Found a decent deal on a set of 680 15th AE with some of the heads still in wrappers.

> They are gorgeous. Definitely different from the more modern blades I've had previously. Short irons are bigger with more offset. But I like them that way. The added offset helps me a lot with partial shots, I feel.

>

That looks stunning!!

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> **C_T_S**

> I see what you mean about grainy. They look pretty good though, and you gotta love those ferrules.

I don't think I'll be changing them up. If I do, they're probably worthy of some nice new ones - from the Boyd ferrule company.

We shouldn't read much into it. But, I think the graininess of the photos is directly related to the estimated worth the shop put on the clubs. They were one of them quick sale, buy at the price type auctions. There was no bidding. Definitely psyched to see these ones.

My last trip to the range I took the TN87 out along with the MR23 and there was no comparison. The TNs will see the door for good this time with little regret. I don't have the game for the long irons and the short irons are just alright. Still waiting to find a set of MR23 blades.

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > **C_T_S**

> > I see what you mean about grainy. They look pretty good though, and you gotta love those ferrules.

>

> I don't think I'll be changing them up. If I do, they're probably worthy of some nice new ones - from the Boyd ferrule company.

> We shouldn't read much into it. But, I think the graininess of the photos is directly related to the estimated worth the shop put on the clubs. They were one of them quick sale, buy at the price type auctions. There was no bidding. Definitely psyched to see these ones.

>

> My last trip to the range I took the TN87 out along with the MR23 and there was no comparison. The TNs will see the door for good this time with little regret. I don't have the game for the long irons and the short irons are just alright. Still waiting to find a set of MR23 blades.

The local shop had a set of the MR23 blades in earlier this year. I saw them one day, and the next day they were gone. Someone knew what they were.

As for poor quality photos, I don't mind them so much when they're selling the product cheaply. It's the sellers who mark up some "rare" set of irons with just one or two poor quality pictures of the clubs lined up against the wall and no close-ups. And usually there's no decent description of the product to go with the lousy photos. Who's going to drop tens of thousands of yen on something they can barely see?