2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Your latest "shot that keeps you coming back"

BeerPerHole

Yesterday - 520 yard par 5. Dogleg left with a fairly wide open fairway but heavily bunkered green.

Was having an all-around awesome ball-striking day and was bombing my upgraded driver. Split the fairway off the tee - and I didn't quite get all of it - and come to see I've got 235 to the center of the green. Now, I recently pulled my 3W from the bag because I was rarely hitting it and I wanted to go back to three wedges. And 235 is pushing it for my 5W. 220 I'm comfortable with but 235? Man, that's a big one.

So initially, I reach for my 9 to just knock one down about 135 yards and give me an easy 100 in. But then I'm like "Eh, I'm hitting it well today. Go for it." Pull the 5W, line up what needs to be a big high draw to keep the bunkers out of play as there's a landing area between all the bunkers short-right of the green which is pretty deep and the pin was cut in the middle. Having just watched the Golf Digest Tiger video about his driving and how he'll pull his right foot back when he wants to draw it; I set up on my starting line and do exactly that.

Long, wide, slow takeaway and then BOOM - crushed it. Ball explodes off the face and goes way high and starts turning exactly like I saw in my head.

I'd love to say it landed on the green and I rolled in a 5 footer for eagle - but that's not what happened. It actually landed JUST short, I chipped up (badly - still the weakest part of my game) and missed the birdie putt. BUT ... it was simply one of those shots that just felt so pure, flew so pretty and makes you feel like a pro for a second.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

First HIO, 195 yard par 3, wind aided 9 wood hit the green and rolled towards the hole. I'm thinking it's in, but nope, my partner says he can still see something white on the green. As I get within 15 ft I see the ball is resting 1/2 in the hole and 1/2 out of the hole sandwiched between the pin and the cup. As I turn to get my phone camera ready the wind stops and I hear the ball drop into the hole. Cool to see it get close from the tee and actually hear it drop once I'm on the green. One in a million shot for me.

• Like 2

> @Stonewalled said:

> First HIO, 195 yard par 3, wind aided 9 wood hit the green and rolled towards the hole. I'm thinking it's in, but nope, my partner says he can still see something white on the green. As I get within 15 ft I see the ball is resting 1/2 in the hole and 1/2 out of the hole sandwiched between the pin and the cup. As I turn to get my phone camera ready the wind stops and I hear the ball drop into the hole. Cool to see it get close from the tee and actually hear it drop once I'm on the green. One in a million shot for me.

That's a very cool hole in one

• Like 2

13th hole yesterday, 434 yard par 4, number one handicap hole on the course, well protected fairway, EXTREMELY difficult green to get the ball to hold on. Solid drive into the wind to about 180 yards. Ripped a 6-iron into the wind but pushed it a bit, landed to the right of the green in some thick rough. Green is elevated from this point by about 10 feet, and slopes to the back, with the pin in the middle. I've got about 25-30 yards to the green.

Hit a beautiful lob wedge that hit about 2 feet short of the pin with some nice backspin. Released very softly and rolled straight at the cup. Did a 180-degree lip out that stopped 2 inches from the hole for a kick-in par.

• Like 1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Most recently it was a little 30 yard pitch that I thought I maybe hit a little thin even though it felt nice. Saw it come out realllly low so I assumed it was a low spin bullet that would run all the way to the back of the green. Hit a couple feet on the green then 2 hop stopped on a dime a few feet from the front pin. We all see those low checkers guys like Jordan do on Tour... Didn't think I'd ever produce one.

I took 3 years off and just got back into playing. Friday was my 3rd round out, and I hadn't had a birdie yet - much much rust. Hit the same shot to chip in on 17 for the first bird of the year. Thought I had crushed it, really trapped and hot. Checked like crazy and curled right in almost dead weight.

Then hit a 60* wedge from 75y to 1ft for par on 18.

• Like 1

I dubbed a tee shot on a 162 yard par 3, left 80 yards to the hole. Hit a nice pitch about 20 yards left of the pin and it followed the slope down and nearly went in!! A 100% undeserved par, but I will take it.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

No "one" shot keeps me coming back. However, there are "3" shots that bounce around in my head until...

My most recent long shot was 200 yard 3i from undulated and uphill lie in the fairway that landed on the apron, 10' from the pin and left an easy Par, that plays over and over in my memory. The trajectory was so sweet...

Another touch shot was using LW from 60 yards, downhill fairway lie, uphill, facing a deep high back bunker that fronted the green to 4' next to a tight pin, tap in birdie.

On an elevated 375 yard Par 4 tee facing downhill blind dogleg right with bunkers inside the turn. I hit a beautiful fade 2 iron around the corner that landed in the middle right with a 150-yard leave. It was such a pretty 225-yard shot. Da** I love executing.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

#17 at Lodestone in McHenry, MD this past Saturday. A 200 yd. par 3 that is straight carry over a gorge and a very tilted green. With the wind in my face (this is a mountain course) I choked up on my 5 wood and hit a perfect fade. Started it right over the bunker and plopped it straight down short of the hole by about 5 feet. Made the putt for birdie! Hadn't played well that day (77 the day before, ugh) so all I wanted was one birdie to keep me happy and on the 2nd to the last hole I got it...phew!

5c6p8xxuwi71.jpeg

• Like 1

2 weeks ago I pulled my drive a little left. Ended up in 1st cut, but there are 2 pine trees in front of me, and they're above 5 feet apart. I hit a perfectly struck 5i right between them with a slight fade, over the "valley" and to front of the green. The ball rolled to about 8 feet and I birdie the hole. It's one of those shots that if on camera, would be featured on the Golf Channel.

I was worried about being "that guy," but Stonewalled has paved the trail. :)

It's been 3+ months, but my answer is still my first ace. Its not only being an ace, but that the shot played out exactly as planned, aside from the obvious "ball in hole" portion, LOL. 206 yds, breeze from the left, pin back right. Figured to hit ball at middle of green and let the breeze drift it towards the pin, and that's how it played out. Hit green, could see it check, and lost sight of it. It rolled up closer to the pin than I'd hoped for. ;)

I've hit some good shots since then that might have otherwise fit the theme of this thread, but it's hard to top an ace from 206. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

This past Tuesday, 320yrd Par4 16th ...4wd tee ball right where I wanted it,right side of a right to left sloping fairway ( there's about a 20yrd wide flat area on that side, left and the ball rolls down in a nasty collection area or bunkers) leaving me 100yrd, 30-40ft uphill shot with about a 12-15mph wind into.

I hit pitching wedge to about 6 inches. Pitch mark about a foot in front of hole. May have hit the stick, but I couldn't tell due to severe uphill.

Best played hole I've had in a while. Two pured shots and a tap in birdie.

I'd hit the ball pretty poorly most of the round, so it was great feel like I knew how to play.

Birdied the next hole as well.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

In yesterday's round it was basically the same shot twice. Missed the green by 4-5 yards but in the worst possible place. Above the hole and sitting in an inch and a half of Bermuda rough with the greens Stimping 11 and firm. Only good news was both times I had about 15 yards of green to work with, albeit sloping away from me.

First time I popped the ball out about waist high with a lob wedge, carried it a few feet onto the green and it rolled to within a foot of the hole. Made the putt.

Five holes later, ball was sitting on a downslope so instead of the lob wedge I just kind of nudge the back of it with my gap wedge. Landed it in the fringe which killed the pace and it ran out to about 4-1/2 feet past the hole. Lipped out the putt.

For someone in my fourth year of pretty severe chipping yips, pulling off those finicky two shots without chunking or hitting the ball in the belly was a moral victory. To get them both within reasonable up-and-down distance...priceless!

It's starting to seem like there's a light at the end of the tunnel although I'm still prone to yip one a round or so.

2 shots this past weekend...

Saturday, Par 3, 213 to the flag. Stuck it about 2' away. Won Closest to the Pin, Net Eagle, Gross Birdie = $74.00

Labor Day, Par 3 129 to the flag. Flag was on the far left side, my ball was just barely on the green on the right side. Made about a 40' putt. Won Net Eagle, Gross Birdie = $62.00, plus another $12.00 for the Putting game we have.

Was a GREAT Labor Day weekend!

• Like 1

Needed a birdie today on hole 18 to shoot a 79. Piped a drive 280 and had a 58° wedge in. Stuck it to 6ft and made the bird. Great feeling.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

Played horrible at league yesterday. Step up on 18, the only way to win the match was for me to beat my opponent by 3 strokes to take the overall and my partner to win the hole. I hit a good drive, partner went OB. Still a chance to push a playoff if I win by 3 strokes. Second shot into the par 5 was about 40 yards short left of the green. I pitch it in for eagle. Definitely the shot to keep me coming back.

...my opponent poured in a 12 foot par putt to halve the match and he took it 6.5 to 4.5. Partners match was 5.5 to 5.5. Roller coaster of emotions for sure!

I like golf. A lot.

I hate bragging and I'm an average player at best. So this is not a brag in any way. You asked!

I hit a baby fade on purpose with a 5i into a short par 3. I only carried it about 70 yards and it rolled all the way up after that 2 feet from the hole. Smelt like a hole in one at one stage. Knocked the putt in. Mic drop and walked straight in. Made going out alone worth it today. I was playing with a split grip and clubs I used 15 years ago too, which made it sweeter. I felt like I was back in the days of being a junior learning the game again playing this sort of creative shot with just the 4 clubs in the bag (3w, 5i, w, putter) giving me freedom to do that. I rolled with the pro1vx just cause it's my most expensive box of balls too. Felt good hitting an expensive ball close. Just messing with you guys, but the shot itself was real good. Watching the ball basically be roll / skim up the fairway like that and end up 2 ft away was good, the fairways are hard here and been burnt by hot weather. It was uphill but rolled a fair way with the fairways playing like concrete.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> I get it - even in a bad or so-so round there is often a shot or two here or there that really make me smile. Coming back? Always coming back!

Do you think it's a case of the more you play golf the more you want to get out there? Is that really why most guys that play are on the older end of the scale? At my course some 80 year olds are playing daily. I'm almost at that point now. The older I get the more I want to play. I can get 9 holes in in 25 minutes nearby on my own so it's possible, it's a short course and very quiet - it's the beginner/game improvement course on site, then they have an 18 hole course that 97-98% of players play on that go to the club. Playing in the rain for 25 minutes I'm good with so maybe this can happen for me.

> @aenemated said:

> Yesterday - 520 yard par 5. Dogleg left with a fairly wide open fairway but heavily bunkered green.

>

> Was having an all-around awesome ball-striking day and was bombing my upgraded driver. Split the fairway off the tee - and I didn't quite get all of it - and come to see I've got 235 to the center of the green. Now, I recently pulled my 3W from the bag because I was rarely hitting it and I wanted to go back to three wedges. And 235 is pushing it for my 5W. 220 I'm comfortable with but 235? Man, that's a big one.

>

> So initially, I reach for my 9 to just knock one down about 135 yards and give me an easy 100 in. But then I'm like "Eh, I'm hitting it well today. Go for it." Pull the 5W, line up what needs to be a big high draw to keep the bunkers out of play as there's a landing area between all the bunkers short-right of the green which is pretty deep and the pin was cut in the middle. Having just watched the Golf Digest Tiger video about his driving and how he'll pull his right foot back when he wants to draw it; I set up on my starting line and do exactly that.

>

> Long, wide, slow takeaway and then BOOM - crushed it. Ball explodes off the face and goes way high and starts turning exactly like I saw in my head.

>

> I'd love to say it landed on the green and I rolled in a 5 footer for eagle - but that's not what happened. It actually landed JUST short, I chipped up (badly - still the weakest part of my game) and missed the birdie putt. BUT ... it was simply one of those shots that just felt so pure, flew so pretty and makes you feel like a pro for a second.

Good story. Sounds like you're enjoying golf the right way.

Nothing makes me wanna walk off 18 green right back to 1 tee more than screwing up a good round. Being a couple under and making a bogey or two to not shoot in the 60's will frustrate me and get to me play again asap. I know my swing is good and I can continue playing well, but mental mistakes costed me. I can fix those, which makes me want to keep playing.

In general, well struck mid irons are my favorite shots. I can't recall any particular one, but they are all towering draws that leave me speechless as I watch what I consider a perfect shot. But the other day I had 210 left to the center of the green from a bad drive. Hit a towering 4h to the back, guy I was playing with asked what I hit there, I said a 22* hybrid. He just shook his head and commented on how "up there" it went. Was well above the tree line.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

A single shot in a round of golf doesn't do much for me anymore. The single shot in isolation means nothing. Who cares if you stick the approach to 5' if you can't sink the putt?

That being said, I did have a hole this past weekend which sums up my version of the proverbial "come-backer".

I've only played a handful of times this summer, but got out to walk (and carry) 18 over Labor Day weekend.

I came to the long, tree lined, uphill 18th and duck-hooked my drive into a tree lined OB. I do have a tendency to goat hump tee shots late in the round. It's my cross to bear.

I hit a good provisional and prayed like hell that my first stayed in play. Somehow, it miraculously did.

From there, I hacked out to the fairway, leaving me with about 185 directly uphill to a tough, narrow green complex.

From there, a fairly weak 4h managed to come to rest about 10 feet below the hole and...I sunk the putt for par. That's the kind of play that keeps me coming back.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

hit a lot of traditionally great shots last round (everything behaving)

near the end, after a few beers (or lack of sustained beers) I was getting less sharp ... blocked on to the right in the tall grass with my safe 4 driving iron (first rule of playing safe put it in a safe place)

I find myself 180 from the pin 165 to carry the trap uphill in the gorse, I take the 7 and flush it getting it to the back of the green(a win). Two putts for par but it felt better than the birdies on the card that were pretty textbook ho hum

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5