Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Right - When I see someone doing that I just click through. The thing with classic clubs is, there is always someone out there that doesn't know the value. So, if you are patient, and you know what you are looking for, and you have a bit of luck... You might get a nice set of sticks for the price of a pizza (which in Japan, is actually quite expensive).

I've got my back as set as can be for the fall season. I am just wondering what I should do with the shaft in the 52. It's a NS950 stiff. It doesn't 'go' with the rest of my set up, but I hit it on the nuts every time. Like, I have never swung a wedge better. I am thinking to put an S400 in it and have it the same length as my PW or my SW. Am I stupid? I will probably leave it for the time being or maybe just get another one and put in the S400.

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> Right - When I see someone doing that I just click through. The thing with classic clubs is, there is always someone out there that doesn't know the value. So, if you are patient, and you know what you are looking for, and you have a bit of luck... You might get a nice set of sticks for the price of a pizza (which in Japan, is actually quite expensive).

>

> I've got my back as set as can be for the fall season. I am just wondering what I should do with the shaft in the 52. It's a NS950 stiff. It doesn't 'go' with the rest of my set up, but I hit it on the nuts every time. Like, I have never swung a wedge better. I am thinking to put an S400 in it and have it the same length as my PW or my SW. Am I stupid? I will probably leave it for the time being or maybe just get another one and put in the S400.

If the shaft works for you, don't change it...unless it makes you feel unconfident on the course.

I bought a set with NSPRO 950S shafts a few years ago. I hit them well in terms of timing, but couldn't control the ball flight (overdraw, ballooning). I sold them back before I ever took them to the course.

Incidentally, is it a bit longer than your usual GW? NSPRO shafts often are. That might explain why you hit it well, because the longer shaft suits you. Just a random thought.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > Right - When I see someone doing that I just click through. The thing with classic clubs is, there is always someone out there that doesn't know the value. So, if you are patient, and you know what you are looking for, and you have a bit of luck... You might get a nice set of sticks for the price of a pizza (which in Japan, is actually quite expensive).

> >

> > I've got my back as set as can be for the fall season. I am just wondering what I should do with the shaft in the 52. It's a NS950 stiff. It doesn't 'go' with the rest of my set up, but I hit it on the nuts every time. Like, I have never swung a wedge better. I am thinking to put an S400 in it and have it the same length as my PW or my SW. Am I stupid? I will probably leave it for the time being or maybe just get another one and put in the S400.

>

> If the shaft works for you, don't change it...unless it makes you feel unconfident on the course.

> I bought a set with NSPRO 950S shafts a few years ago. I hit them well in terms of timing, but couldn't control the ball flight (overdraw, ballooning). I sold them back before I ever took them to the course.

>

> Incidentally, is it a bit longer than your usual GW? NSPRO shafts often are. That might explain why you hit it well, because the longer shaft suits you. Just a random thought.

That's some good insight. It _is_ actually a little longer. And I notice I can hit the thing sky high sometimes. I've noticed a lot of clubs in Japan don't work for me, simply because they are too short. The set I am using has a set of X100s I purchased new and had put in. They are based off some Titleist 990s I had way back. I may end up switching out the NS950. I'd like to keep my wedges all the same length as a little experiment (or simply to keep things simple).

What's the consensus on Titleist 690 MB? I saw the pictures of the 680's which look awesome but I've never seen these in person or hit. I've always been won over on soft feel for feedback and turf interaction. I've been gaming my MP18's but wanted to take the old 690's out for a golf trip next week since they have x100's on them. I don't know if it's just because I'm hitting something new but I've been really liking these iron/shaft combo's at the range. Seem like they have little bounce so can really dig if you're too steep. It does appear like the 690's have more offset than I'd like to see. Makes me want to try the new 620's out. These 690's are pretty beat up.

I think a set of these is in my future, especially at this price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-TP-MB-Iron-Set-3-Pw-Steel-Stiff-Flex/202763768247?hash=item2f35a991b7%3Ag%3A5j8AAOSw3nRdYbDz&LH_ItemCondition=1000

I've never hit these before. Any thoughts?

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

> @wrm2120 said:

> I think a set of these is in my future, especially at this price.

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-TP-MB-Iron-Set-3-Pw-Steel-Stiff-Flex/202763768247?hash=item2f35a991b7%3Ag%3A5j8AAOSw3nRdYbDz&LH_ItemCondition=1000

>

>

> I've never hit these before. Any thoughts?

>

>

Very hard to find where I am, but Dustin Johnson won lots of money with them, and they are based off a classic Hogan design*, so what's not to love? I'd love to try them.

* and you can probably find something similar to that design even further back

> > @wrm2120 said:

> > I think a set of these is in my future, especially at this price.

> >

> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-TP-MB-Iron-Set-3-Pw-Steel-Stiff-Flex/202763768247?hash=item2f35a991b7%3Ag%3A5j8AAOSw3nRdYbDz&LH_ItemCondition=1000

> >

> >

> > I've never hit these before. Any thoughts?

> >

> >

>

> Very hard to find where I am, but Dustin Johnson won lots of money with them, and they are based off a classic Hogan design*, so what's not to love? I'd love to try them.

>

> * and you can probably find something similar to that design even further back

I played those for a year and loved them. That is, until I upgraded to MP18's. The 18's look almost identical at address to me but beat them out in every possible category. I still have the heads (minus the 8i that I left at a range and was never returned) but I would probably never bother playing them again as long as I have the 18's laying around.

> @wrm2120 said:

> I think a set of these is in my future, especially at this price.

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-TP-MB-Iron-Set-3-Pw-Steel-Stiff-Flex/202763768247?hash=item2f35a991b7%3Ag%3A5j8AAOSw3nRdYbDz&LH_ItemCondition=1000

>

>

> I've never hit these before. Any thoughts?

>

>

Solid buy if you are comfortable with the shaft. Faldo had a hand in the design tweaks of them.

• Like 1

> @Nard_S said:

> > @wrm2120 said:

> >

> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-TP-MB-Iron-Set-3-Pw-Steel-Stiff-Flex/202763768247?hash=item2f35a991b7%3Ag%3A5j8AAOSw3nRdYbDz&LH_ItemCondition=1000

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Solid buy if you are comfortable with the shaft. Faldo had a hand in the design tweaks of them.

I think I'm going to try and find something at a GG or something like it that has that shaft first. My S55s have the stock Ping CFS shaft, which is "okay," but every set of irons I've ever had in the past all had S300s. I'm not sure how I'd do with something lighter than that, especially since fittings usually recommend x100s (which feel too heavy to me).

Though I am also wondering if I should grab these, since they're such a good deal, and then reshaft them if I don't get along well with them.

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

> @Nard_S said:

> > @wrm2120 said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Solid buy if you are comfortable with the shaft. Faldo had a hand in the design tweaks of them.

I read somewhere that the effect Faldo’s changes had on the look of the transition from the hosel to the blade were epic...the TM designers couldn’t believe how his subtle changes really improved the look at address.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> Stu, I've got some nice Mac Toney Penna woods with Pro Pel 1 shafts in them. They're like rebar.

You are darn skippy on that one makes my back go in to spasms just THINKING about trying to hit one of those

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> Anyone have any thoughts or still playing Mizuno mp68s? Thanks.

I have a set of them I have not played them in a while. I got them with S-300s but changed them to R-300s--- Like them all right they are my reserve "conforming Set" if I decide to come out of retirement and play comp again. IMHO they are underrated

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @wrm2120 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @wrm2120 said:

> > > I think a set of these is in my future, especially at this price.

> > >

> > > https://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-TP-MB-Iron-Set-3-Pw-Steel-Stiff-Flex/202763768247?hash=item2f35a991b7%3Ag%3A5j8AAOSw3nRdYbDz&LH_ItemCondition=1000

> > >

> > >

> > > I've never hit these before. Any thoughts?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Solid buy if you are comfortable with the shaft. Faldo had a hand in the design tweaks of them.

>

> I think I'm going to try and find something at a GG or something like it that has that shaft first. My S55s have the stock Ping CFS shaft, which is "okay," but every set of irons I've ever had in the past all had S300s. I'm not sure how I'd do with something lighter than that, especially since fittings usually recommend x100s (which feel too heavy to me).

>

> Though I am also wondering if I should grab these, since they're such a good deal, and then reshaft them if I don't get along well with them.

S400 might be the ticket, I cannot relate to X100 at all but the S400 is killer good. As to re-shaft, I have 6 sets where redo of shafts is in order. It's really a frustrating issue in that unless you're setup and comfortable to execute on it, you're sitting on pretty irons that are dead money. I'll get there this Fall. I have dowel production slated for next month and will start going at re-buildoing irons to my preferences.

Small update on my MP37 usage...

They've been lovely, to sum it in a short phrase. I'd forgotten about the bounce they have in the years since I first had a set, and have benefitted from it on occasion. Excellent accuracy, as well. The feel is exactly what you'd expect from a Mizuno of this vintage, which is magnified lately, as I've been playing Wilson Staff Duo Professional balls. Its a lot of pillow like contact. :)

The set I scored were in really nice shape, surprisingly so. There are a couple odd dings in a couple of clubfaces, higher on the face (hence the "odd"), but on the whole, rather healthy. Combined with the price I paid, just over $200 US, feeling a bit lucky.

Only thing wrong with these is the hosels. As I've continued to demonstrate, shots off the hosels are remarkably inaccurate.

Once my pup gets energetic about going outside, I'll see about pics....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Hi,

New to this forum. My handicap is 8.8. Have played CB:s all the time and now wanted to test blades, so I ordered a set (3-9) of Wilson Staff FG-49 Tour Blade with DG S400 shafts from Ebay for £79.95. In my CB:s I have KBS Tour C-taper 105 s shafts. I do love the heavier shaft, makes me feel more in control. Got them a week ago and have played 3 rounds with them. So far i like them alot.I like the smaler blade and the the thin sole and top line. The look of the club sitting behind the ball.

fkxmeik7cds1.jpg

h4n7c11gnbkv.jpg

3g58wp73haag.jpg

abnk2nuoirb5.jpg

• Like 4

> @Svingit said:

> Hi,

> New to this forum. My handicap is 8.8. Have played CB:s all the time and now wanted to test blades, so I ordered a set (3-9) of Wilson Staff FG-49 Tour Blade with DG S400 shafts from Ebay for £79.95. In my CB:s I have KBS Tour C-taper 105 s shafts. I do love the heavier shaft, makes me feel more in control. Got them a week ago and have played 3 rounds with them. So far i like them alot.I like the smaler blade and the the thin sole and top line. The look of the club sitting behind the ball.

>

Nice Wilson's! Never heard of "49's". Great find Best of luck.

> Nard_S said:

> > Svingit said:

> > Hi,

> > New to this forum. My handicap is 8.8. Have played CB:s all the time and now wanted to test blades, so I ordered a set (3-9) of Wilson Staff FG-49 Tour Blade with DG S400 shafts from Ebay for £79.95. In my CB:s I have KBS Tour C-taper 105 s shafts. I do love the heavier shaft, makes me feel more in control. Got them a week ago and have played 3 rounds with them. So far i like them alot.I like the smaler blade and the the thin sole and top line. The look of the club sitting behind the ball.

> >

> Nice Wilson's! Never heard of "49's". Great find Best of luck.

>

Thanks :) The little information I have found in other forums is that Nick Faldo was involed in the process of making them and they was only sold in Europe.

Set of irons coming in tomorrow. Last 2 boxes I've tried to manipulate the time so the wife doesn't see them and I come home and the box is right inside the front door (face palm). This one's a heavy one (Pro-82 3-Sw or 2-PW not sure) This one feels like Christmas. I've been holding out for a set of these for a long time. Gonna take a half day tomorrow and maybe go to the range with them, before my wife gets back home.

> @Svingit said:

> Hi,

> New to this forum. My handicap is 8.8. Have played CB:s all the time and now wanted to test blades, so I ordered a set (3-9) of Wilson Staff FG-49 Tour Blade with DG S400 shafts from Ebay for £79.95. In my CB:s I have KBS Tour C-taper 105 s shafts. I do love the heavier shaft, makes me feel more in control. Got them a week ago and have played 3 rounds with them. So far i like them alot.I like the smaler blade and the the thin sole and top line. The look of the club sitting behind the ball.

> fkxmeik7cds1.jpg

> h4n7c11gnbkv.jpg

> 3g58wp73haag.jpg

> abnk2nuoirb5.jpg

>

>

>

>

Love those 49s. I had heard they were a Europe-only release, but I didn't know Nick Faldo had a hand in their design. That might make them easy to date, because IIRC he wasn't at Wilson that long. Mid-Eighties? It was before he went to Mizuno, I think.

There used to be a couple of British WRXers on here who knew an unhealthy amount about Nick Faldo's clubs.

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> Set of irons coming in tomorrow. Last 2 boxes I've tried to manipulate the time so the wife doesn't see them and I come home and the box is right inside the front door (face palm). This one's a heavy one (Pro-82 3-Sw or 2-PW not sure) This one feels like Christmas. I've been holding out for a set of these for a long time. Gonna take a half day tomorrow and maybe go to the range with them, before my wife gets back home.

Were they in the condition you hoped they'd be?

I got a semi-greenlight from the wife for more ho'ing: she bought some new trouser-type things the other day then came downstairs crestfallen yesterday holding a near-identical pair that she's bought months before and forgotten about. I told her that I could account for all of my 22 sets of irons, so I was good to go for a set or two more. She didn't argue back!

Note: I counted up later, and found I actually have 24 sets of irons. Ooops. None identical, though.

Edit: Double oops. 25 sets. I forgot about the pristine Muirfields in the cupboard.

> > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > Set of irons coming in tomorrow. Last 2 boxes I've tried to manipulate the time so the wife doesn't see them and I come home and the box is right inside the front door (face palm). This one's a heavy one (Pro-82 3-Sw or 2-PW not sure) This one feels like Christmas. I've been holding out for a set of these for a long time. Gonna take a half day tomorrow and maybe go to the range with them, before my wife gets back home.

>

>

> Were they in the condition you hoped they'd be?

> I got a semi-greenlight from the wife for more ho'ing: she bought some new trouser-type things the other day then came downstairs crestfallen yesterday holding a near-identical pair that she's bought months before and forgotten about. I told her that I could account for all of my 22 sets of irons, so I was good to go for a set or two more. She didn't argue back!

>

> Note: I counted up later, and found I actually have 24 sets of irons. Ooops. None identical, though.

>

> Edit: Double oops. 25 sets. I forgot about the pristine Muirfields in the cupboard.

I've been meaning to count up all the sets in my possession, it's expanding slowly, but surely... If you visit yahoo auction enough there are going to be offers you can't refuse... set of classic Yamahas reshafted with Modus 105X for $50 for example. You can't get one of those shafts installed for that much, so therein lies the dilemma.

I always miss a set or two when I do the mental calculation, so it's fun to rediscover them, still gotta thin them out a bit...

I'll have that box in my hands at 2pm, Catchy and if they are nice, I'll put up a few pics. I am actually pretty sure they'll be alright. The shaft bands usually tell a lot, and they looked clean...

Wow, C_T_S, they're nice! Very good condition. The wear on the PW doesn't look too bad at all, and there appear be no gouge marks on any of them. What don't you like about the grind? Sharp leading edge?

BTW, I couldn't find those Yamahas you mentioned. I am quite interested in trying Modus 105X shafts, but my back is still not up to a full swing. I am managing to do some pitching practice, though.

I had a few chances to get original Nike blades several times, and didn't. I passed on them only due to procrastination, they vanished before I could act. :)

When I've actually hit them, they're in that top shelf level, such as I could tell from such limited time with them.

Also rather like the weaker lofts, fewer wedges to have to buy. A 30* club is only a 30* club, regardless of the number someone has stamped on the sole.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors