Mizuno MP-20 HMB - July 2019

GolfWRX

> @Soccerrick10 said:

> Carl's in Michigan have the heads in stock. They are still waiting on some new shafts. But, they are available to hit. I had little time last night so only got to hit the HMB. I would kinda describe it as a Kate Winslet model - just a little "fuller" than expected but beautiful in it's own way.

>

> Only hit it with the SteelFiber which isn't my favorite shaft. So, I'll reserve judgement so far. It does seem very promising for at least the 4,5,6 in my bag.

Ok, had another session at Carl’s with all three. I’ll comment on the HMB here: WOW! With a shaft more to my liking, they were high, fast, long-ish and SOFT! I’d really like to try the 8,9,P before I would place a full order set. But, man, I could have stood there all day just hitting the same shot over and over and over.

Quickly, compared to the others, the HMB was the biggest surprise. But, I liked the MMC and Blades. But both were close to what I’m used to with my 919 Tours and MP-18MB. The HMB was softer and to me, more controllable than the HM and softer than the HM Pro.

I think I’ll be getting at least the 4,5,6.

• Like 1

Haha Voshall is such a G. What other company's engineer is out there dropping such consistent fire on YouTube? I think I am going to straight up play a Chris Voshall playlist at my next dinner party.

Anyone see the HMB next to an H4 or H5 yet? Wondering if the blade length is longer or shorter.. I Love my H4 long iron performance but have always hated the looks. The HMB looks like the real deal in terms of getting that H performance without looking like I am playing 3 golf ball retrieval tools at the top of my bag. Hoping it's not too compact that I get intimidated though.

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
UW 17* Smoke 70s

Fli-Hi 19* Smoke 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

I’m happy to hear the HMB launches high. I went through some swing changes, flattened the plane and got rid of my flip and now I strike the ball much more consistently but hit the ball lower than I’d like now.

It’s funny I spent all those years buying every low/low club and shaft I could find and now I need all the launch I can get. Oddly even though the strong lofted distance irons even ones like the Z585 launch low for me and I actually launch blades and players cavities higher. Hoping this setup works for me.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

> @Huntingchris0000 said:

> I hit the 7 iron in the HMB today with Modus 120. It felt so nice. More like old Mizuno feel. I will probably be ordering a whole set 3-9 HMB and using T20 wedges for the rest

This is exactly what I got fit for at Mizuno in Melbourne last Friday. I was really impressed with the HMBs, I'm coming from Srixon 965s and was expecting to go with the MP-20 blades but couldn't argue with the numbers the HMB gave me. As a low spin and ball flight player the normal cranked lofts of this type of iron doesn't work for me, but these launched over a degree higher with around 500 rpm more spin than anything else I tried. As noted by some others they feel really good for a hollow body as well, not quite as good as the blades but way better than expected and loads of feedback.

> @VGVG said:

> > @hargraves1066 said:

> > > @VGVG said:

> > > I wish they were offered in left handed.

> >

> > MP20 SEL combo set will have HMB in the 3, 4 long irons and 5-PW in MBs

>

> Thanks but it takes some serious game to be comfortable with a 5-iron MB... As a 6-handicap right now, i’m not that good!

I hear you on that 100%. Surprised Miz wouldn’t offer a mid handicap combo package for lefties, sounds like market would be there for something with HMB in 3 thru 5 or 6 and the rest MMC...guessing that’s something they toyed with and maybe numbers didn’t make sense business wise.

Mizuno has made it extremely clear that it isn’t good business for them to create limited demand GFF heads in lefty. The cost of molds and such make it a losing proposition especially given their market position.

I suppose if I were a lefty I’d be peeved at the perceived slight, but from a sheer business standpoint I completely understand. Gotta sell a lot of iron sets to recoup the cost of their manufacture. Fortunately there are many other companies that make high performance clubs in varying sets for lefties.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

IMO, any progressive and forward thinking company understands individual markets. Not sure if these are accurate numbers but the believe lefties make up less than 10% of golfers worldwide but that number is closer 30% in Canada if not slightly higher due to the number of kids that grow up playing hockey. Seems like outside of the logistics of lefty molds, etc. they could easily carve out additional market share with the left handed golfer say in North America where it seems they have demand. I understand ramping up production of left handed clubs from a macro position would be a disaster for the bottom line but if there’s demand, supply should follow. Then again I’m not running a golf operation lol ?‍♂️

> @hargraves1066 said:

> > @VGVG said:

> > > @hargraves1066 said:

> > > > @VGVG said:

> > > > I wish they were offered in left handed.

> > >

> > > MP20 SEL combo set will have HMB in the 3, 4 long irons and 5-PW in MBs

> >

> > Thanks but it takes some serious game to be comfortable with a 5-iron MB... As a 6-handicap right now, i’m not that good!

> I hear you on that 100%. Surprised Miz wouldn’t offer a mid handicap combo package for lefties, sounds like market would be there for something with HMB in 3 thru 5 or 6 and the rest MMC...guessing that’s something they toyed with and maybe numbers didn’t make sense business wise.

I’ve been preaching this. It’s a shame they caved to the vocal minority of lefties demanding blades. You can’t honestly tell me they expect to sell more sets of the SEL’s over MP-18 SC’s. I think the MMC looks to be a superior club compared to the 18 SC’s. I’m really hoping that if they don’t have the success they expect on the SEL set, they don’t just give up on making lefty offerings all together because when I spoke with them via IG, they currently feel like they can’t win with lefties. Lefties demanded a forged cavity back, they made the 18 SC. They make the 18 SC, lefties demanded a blade. I wish they could have done a survey of their audience or something because I know the people demanding a blade in this day and age has to be a very small group. The MMC to me was the perfect compromise. I would have even understood if they only made HMB or a HMB/MMC mixed set. Oh well. I’m a single digit handicap who plays TM P750’s but I want nothing to do with 5-PW set of blades with as little golf as I’m able to play with full-time job and a family.

They explicitly stated they hadn't made blades in a while and so went this route and I assume will go back to the middle of the road nonsense (which seems to please no one) on the next release for lefties. I'm happy with the release for once.

I also don't totally understand why every other company can make lefty and mizuno does not; I can't imagine they are selling a ton of 2 irons and even 3 irons at this point in right handed and yet they still make them. I may be wrong but I bet they sell close to as many lefty sets of these as they sell right handed drivers at full price...

Anyway sorry don't want to turn the thread into a lefty debate I know everyone hates that lol.

Planning on building myself a set of special edition right'ies out of these. I am thinkg 2,3,4 in these. Then an MMC 5 iron. Then MBs to the PW, but a degree strong. Then a 50 degree, and 54 or 56 degree wedge, then my 64 degree wedge I already have.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> Planning on building myself a set of special edition right'ies out of these. I am thinkg 2,3,4 in these. Then an MMC 5 iron. Then MBs to the PW, but a degree strong. Then a 50 degree, and 54 or 56 degree wedge, then my 64 degree wedge I already have.

i kind of did this. 4-7 hmb. 8-pw mmc 1 strong. t20 wedges. was going to do 4-6 hmb, 7-8 mmc, 9-pw blade but didnt. either would be great.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

> @Orlandogolfguru said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > Planning on building myself a set of special edition right'ies out of these. I am thinkg 2,3,4 in these. Then an MMC 5 iron. Then MBs to the PW, but a degree strong. Then a 50 degree, and 54 or 56 degree wedge, then my 64 degree wedge I already have.

>

> i kind of did this. 4-7 hmb. 8-pw mmc 1 strong. t20 wedges. was going to do 4-6 hmb, 7-8 mmc, 9-pw blade but didnt. either would be great.

I am getting the 2 iron as a 3 wood replacement. fairway woods and I do not really get along but I have had good success with driving iron type clubs.

Once I get to look at the clubs in hand I may got 5 and 6 iron MMC. I dunno for sure yet.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @soap1984 said:

> They explicitly stated they hadn't made blades in a while and so went this route and I assume will go back to the middle of the road nonsense (which seems to please no one) on the next release for lefties. I'm happy with the release for once.

>

> I also don't totally understand why every other company can make lefty and mizuno does not; I can't imagine they are selling a ton of 2 irons and even 3 irons at this point in right handed and yet they still make them. I may be wrong but I bet they sell close to as many lefty sets of these as they sell right handed drivers at full price...

>

> Anyway sorry don't want to turn the thread into a lefty debate I know everyone hates that lol.

Lefties need a voice! Hahaha. But seriously, it's an interesting position and I do understand the business aspect. But, as a lefty, I'm tired of getting left out of so many great irons. The HMBs look like they're gonna be an outstanding option for a lot of people and I would at least like to hit that in a 7i compared to the SEL blades. But, like other manufacturers not releasing their most-intriguing clubs (to me), it is something that lefties have to deal with!

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

Just hit few dozen balls with demos of the MP-20 MMC and MP-20 HMB. I tell ya what, that HMB has a fantastic look for a more forgiving club. I spent more time with the MMC, so got that dialed in a bit better than the HMB, which I didn't see significant benefits from immediately. I definitely need a different shaft with the HMB than I would with the MMC, and I'm sure I could find a good option that warranted more significant distance gains than I saw. Feel-wise, the HMB was much better than any of the competing irons in the players distance category I've hit (Ping and TaylorMade). With the same shaft in both the MMC and HMB heads, I saw a significant height difference, but minimal yardage differences, with the HMB the higher of the two. Like I said, I'd look at a different shaft for the HMB since, for my needs, it was going too high.

I currently game MP-62s, and have since I purchased them new back when they first released in 2009. I replaced MP-60s with these 62s. Both of my previous Mizuno iron sets felt better than anything I've hit before then. But, the new MP-20 MMC felt unreal. Maybe it was partly the $-Taper shaft (currently game Project X in my 62s), but wow, they were butter. There was also a significant difference in feel, in my opinion, compared to the HMB, which felt great, but definitely not as soft. The MP-20s didn't show any gains in yardage (didn't expect any) over my 62s. The dispersion was very good (could be a shaft difference as well).

So I spent some time with the HMB today. They are a bit bigger than I thought but not in the way that I thought. The offset is fine, the blade length is fine. The top line is very thick but what really stood out for me was the size from the top line to the sole. It has a bigger footprint vertically but compact blade length. I hit about 10 shots with them with a few different shafts and they felt great for a hollow iron especially since its not filled in side. Feels forgiving. It will definitely capture the market for those who need more forgiveness and need a higher launch. I did also spend some time with the MMC, they are more my cup of tea as far as size, topline, feel more solid and I did hit them further for some reason probably do the the launch angle differences. Again this is all on a launch monitor so I take results with a grain of salt. I am not the best indoor swinger. Here are some pics I snapped vs AP2 718

9vqjdwauesxy.jpeg

rssfjkjr4axs.jpeg

he9i6545nhy0.jpeg

• Like 1

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo