Private Cart Trail Fee at a Semi-Private Course?

Ok, I'll make it quick. I recently moved to a golf course community with one of my favorite courses in the area. The course is semi-private or public, however you want to deem it, but not a muni. Decided to get my own private cart to of course drive on the course as well as drive around the neighborhood, to the pool, etc. As it turns it, the course charges a $500 trail fee each year in addition to the membership. The kicker is, they do no sell a membership that does not include cart fee. They don't even have greens fees that don't include a cart. Am I justified in being baffled by this practice? I understand a private course charging a trail fee when they sell walking memberships with cart add-ons, but I believe you end up paying less than if you bought the cart pass from them and used their carts. As it stands, I'm a resident of the golf course community and I'll be paying MORE to use MY cart than when I lived 10 mins away and used their carts. Thoughts? Similar situations?

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

I have been a member of two semi-private clubs. One in each of the two cities I have lived in over the past 30 years. I would suggest, semi-private doesn't always mean "public." At least not at the two clubs I have been associated with. They both limit non-member play to only a handful of times per calendar year and further restrict to only allow weekday, twilight and non-holiday times. And almost never allow peak season, peak hour or weekend play from non-members. In both instances, the "semi-private" label was a requirement for gaining permitting from the local government in order to build the course many years ago. It gave the local government something to use in an effort to help attract visitors to the area.

As for the "trail fee" for privately owned carts. It's largely an insurance issue. If your privately owned cart damages a car in the parking lot, golf course or a club owned cart, they at least have some restitution.

> @bhj83 said:

> Ok, I'll make it quick. I recently moved to a golf course community with one of my favorite courses in the area. The course is semi-private or public, however you want to deem it, but not a muni. Decided to get my own private cart to of course drive on the course as well as drive around the neighborhood, to the pool, etc. As it turns it, the course charges a $500 trail fee each year in addition to the membership. The kicker is, they do no sell a membership that does not include cart fee. They don't even have greens fees that don't include a cart. Am I justified in being baffled by this practice? I understand a private course charging a trail fee when they sell walking memberships with cart add-ons, but I believe you end up paying less than if you bought the cart pass from them and used their carts. As it stands, I'm a resident of the golf course community and I'll be paying MORE to use MY cart than when I lived 10 mins away and used their carts. Thoughts? Similar situations?

Trail fees are common but usually at places that don't include a cart in their green fees.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @bhj83 said:

> > Ok, I'll make it quick. I recently moved to a golf course community with one of my favorite courses in the area. The course is semi-private or public, however you want to deem it, but not a muni. Decided to get my own private cart to of course drive on the course as well as drive around the neighborhood, to the pool, etc. As it turns it, the course charges a $500 trail fee each year in addition to the membership. The kicker is, they do no sell a membership that does not include cart fee. They don't even have greens fees that don't include a cart. Am I justified in being baffled by this practice? I understand a private course charging a trail fee when they sell walking memberships with cart add-ons, but I believe you end up paying less than if you bought the cart pass from them and used their carts. As it stands, I'm a resident of the golf course community and I'll be paying MORE to use MY cart than when I lived 10 mins away and used their carts. Thoughts? Similar situations?

>

> Trail fees are common but usually at places that don't include a cart in their green fees.

Right, I'm aware of that. It just seems odd to have to pay more than a member who uses the courses carts. I guess I can understand the insurance piece but I also have the option to get my own insurance on my cart. It is actually less than $500 a year.

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

> @bhj83 said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @bhj83 said:

> > > Ok, I'll make it quick. I recently moved to a golf course community with one of my favorite courses in the area. The course is semi-private or public, however you want to deem it, but not a muni. Decided to get my own private cart to of course drive on the course as well as drive around the neighborhood, to the pool, etc. As it turns it, the course charges a $500 trail fee each year in addition to the membership. The kicker is, they do no sell a membership that does not include cart fee. They don't even have greens fees that don't include a cart. Am I justified in being baffled by this practice? I understand a private course charging a trail fee when they sell walking memberships with cart add-ons, but I believe you end up paying less than if you bought the cart pass from them and used their carts. As it stands, I'm a resident of the golf course community and I'll be paying MORE to use MY cart than when I lived 10 mins away and used their carts. Thoughts? Similar situations?

> >

> > Trail fees are common but usually at places that don't include a cart in their green fees.

>

> Right, I'm aware of that. It just seems odd to have to pay more than a member who uses the courses carts. I guess I can understand the insurance piece but I also have the option to get my own insurance on my cart. It is actually less than $500 a year.

I may be in the minority, and I'm speaking in gross generalizations. I have no problem with charging for the extra cart fee. These private carts IMO have a negative impact on the course.

1. Often they are parked wherever for hours on end. Parking lot, in front of the bag drop, sideways in the putting green parking.... you get my drift.

2. They often are part of 5 some money games. Not unusual to see 5 private carts in a group. Rarely do the courses carts get used like this. This is a lot of wear and tear on the course (often seen near the green complexes past signs inviting to take the path)

3. They are very quick and get driven as such. Often cutting through playing groups to find the shortest route to the clubhouse.

4. Their speakers are often loud enough to be heard a hole away

Now, perhaps you may say these are all issues to be policed by the club and to set firm rules......I agree, but said policing cost time and money... If a course cart is utilized inappropriately a staff member can simply move it or restrict usage. No such luck with a private cart......Pay the fee, enjoy your private cart.

> @vallygolf said:

>

> I may be in the minority, and I'm speaking in gross generalizations. I have no problem with charging for the extra cart fee. These private carts IMO have a negative impact on the course.

>

> 1. Often they are parked wherever for hours on end. Parking lot, in front of the bag drop, sideways in the putting green parking.... you get my drift.

> 2. They often are part of 5 some money games. Not unusual to see 5 private carts in a group. Rarely do the courses carts get used like this. This is a lot of wear and tear on the course (often seen near the green complexes past signs inviting to take the path)

> 3. They are very quick and get driven as such. Often cutting through playing groups to find the shortest route to the clubhouse.

> 4. Their speakers are often loud enough to be heard a hole away

>

> Now, perhaps you may say these are all issues to be policed by the club and to set firm rules......I agree, but said policing cost time and money... If a course cart is utilized inappropriately a staff member can simply move it or restrict usage. No such luck with a private cart......Pay the fee, enjoy your private cart.

And yet, a $500 fee resolves none of the above.

• Like 1

> @smashdn said:

> > @vallygolf said:

> >

> > I may be in the minority, and I'm speaking in gross generalizations. I have no problem with charging for the extra cart fee. These private carts IMO have a negative impact on the course.

> >

> > 1. Often they are parked wherever for hours on end. Parking lot, in front of the bag drop, sideways in the putting green parking.... you get my drift.

> > 2. They often are part of 5 some money games. Not unusual to see 5 private carts in a group. Rarely do the courses carts get used like this. This is a lot of wear and tear on the course (often seen near the green complexes past signs inviting to take the path)

> > 3. They are very quick and get driven as such. Often cutting through playing groups to find the shortest route to the clubhouse.

> > 4. Their speakers are often loud enough to be heard a hole away

> >

> > Now, perhaps you may say these are all issues to be policed by the club and to set firm rules......I agree, but said policing cost time and money... If a course cart is utilized inappropriately a staff member can simply move it or restrict usage. No such luck with a private cart......Pay the fee, enjoy your private cart.

>

> And yet, a $500 fee resolves none of the above.

Except maybe make those people feel more entitled to do whatever they want because they paid extra ?‍♂️

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

• 2 years later...
On 9/5/2019 at 8:17 AM, bhj83 said:

Ok, I'll make it quick. I recently moved to a golf course community with one of my favorite courses in the area. The course is semi-private or public, however you want to deem it, but not a muni. Decided to get my own private cart to of course drive on the course as well as drive around the neighborhood, to the pool, etc. As it turns it, the course charges a $500 trail fee each year in addition to the membership. The kicker is, they do no sell a membership that does not include cart fee. They don't even have greens fees that don't include a cart. Am I justified in being baffled by this practice? I understand a private course charging a trail fee when they sell walking memberships with cart add-ons, but I believe you end up paying less than if you bought the cart pass from them and used their carts. As it stands, I'm a resident of the golf course community and I'll be paying MORE to use MY cart than when I lived 10 mins away and used their carts. Thoughts? Similar situations?

Hi there,

I hope this information helps you. Golf is a dying sport. And Golf Courses everywhere have been in a major decline for over 10 years. It’s an amazing game which can be played with alone in nature or with friends. Including those shooting phone numbers. We need to support the game and the courses in our community before developers swallow it up and build houses.

Every golf cart (privately owned or club owned) on any course turf (private, semi, public, muni, 9 hole, etc) is prone to cause damage/wear and tear on to the course. As a matter of fact, most courses regardless of category can and should require privately owned carts to be approved for safety and maintenance. Down to the tire type (turf grass only-not street tires) and whether the cart is gas or electric. 
Golf courses are privately owned properties which may be open to the public. They aren’t public property. Guest of the course (members and residents are guest) should always check with the facility for a list of do’s and don’ts. This gesture can help those without golf course knowledge to familiarize yourself with The Club, meet the pros and is an exercise of golf etiquette. Which is second nature to most golfers. 

18 hours ago, AMB921 said:

Hi there,

I hope this information helps you. Golf is a dying sport. And Golf Courses everywhere have been in a major decline for over 10 years.

Already stopped reading...

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red