New TM p790 irons ???

tigerd

What’s everyone’s set make up with the 1st and 2nd gen P790s? I have 4-PW and I had to replace my 21* hybrid with a 19* to fell the gaps between the 21* 4 iron and my 15* 3wood. Previous set went up to 5 iron and then 21* hybrid and then 15* 3 wood

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @AG12 said:

> What’s everyone’s set make up with the 1st and 2nd gen P790s? I have 4-PW and I had to replace my 21* hybrid with a 19* to fell the gaps between the 21* 4 iron and my 15* 3wood. Previous set went up to 5 iron and then 21* hybrid and then 15* 3 wood

GAPR Mid 3 iron

4 - PW P790 (2nd gen)

Vokey 52, 56, 60

• Like 1

> @gleung said:

> > @AG12 said:

> > What’s everyone’s set make up with the 1st and 2nd gen P790s? I have 4-PW and I had to replace my 21* hybrid with a 19* to fell the gaps between the 21* 4 iron and my 15* 3wood. Previous set went up to 5 iron and then 21* hybrid and then 15* 3 wood

>

> GAPR Mid 3 iron

> 4 - PW P790 (2nd gen)

> Vokey 52, 56, 60

Cool ok. Im going to stick with my 19* hybrid in the bag then for gapping purposes

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @MrShield said:

> BTW, my numb> @BiggErn said:

> > > @MrShield said:

> > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > > > >

> > > > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> > > >

> > > Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

> >

> > I have the original 790s and they were almost identical in size compared to AP2s. The difference in topline was minute. Blade length pretty much identical. My MG wedge looks looks more “chunky” than my P790 set AW. It’s a hollow club designed for a wide array of golfers so it’s not gonna have the profile of a baby blade.

>

> P790 same size as AP2 718? You can’t be serious? ?

>

> Have you hold an AP2 pitch next to P790 pitch? Can you seriously say they are the same size? ??

Definitely not the same. However, the biggest difference is with respect to the sole width... from address position, it is not that big of a difference really. Groove area is similar though (new P790 might actually seem shorter in some ways), but the AP2 '18 toe area creeps out more to my eye (PW-PW comps). Top-line on PW vs PW is definitely thicker on (new) P790.

Have you compared these 2 side by side? Not trying to instigate, but I have both sets and they are not all that far off from address. You can really see the difference when looking at the clubs grip down.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @MrShield said:

> BTW, my numb> @BiggErn said:

> > > @MrShield said:

> > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > > > >

> > > > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> > > >

> > > Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

> >

> > I have the original 790s and they were almost identical in size compared to AP2s. The difference in topline was minute. Blade length pretty much identical. My MG wedge looks looks more “chunky” than my P790 set AW. It’s a hollow club designed for a wide array of golfers so it’s not gonna have the profile of a baby blade.

>

> P790 same size as AP2 718? You can’t be serious? ?

>

> Have you hold an AP2 pitch next to P790 pitch? Can you seriously say they are the same size? ??

Like I said, blade length is pretty much identical and the topline is a hair thicker on the 790. If you don’t believe it then go look for yourself.

• Like 1

> @AG12 said:

> > @gleung said:

> > > @AG12 said:

> > > What’s everyone’s set make up with the 1st and 2nd gen P790s? I have 4-PW and I had to replace my 21* hybrid with a 19* to fell the gaps between the 21* 4 iron and my 15* 3wood. Previous set went up to 5 iron and then 21* hybrid and then 15* 3 wood

> >

> > GAPR Mid 3 iron

> > 4 - PW P790 (2nd gen)

> > Vokey 52, 56, 60

>

> Cool ok. Im going to stick with my 19* hybrid in the bag then for gapping purposes

P790 4 iron has a loft of 21 degrees, so I think a 19* hybrid will go well with it!

> @gleung said:

> > @AG12 said:

> > > @gleung said:

> > > > @AG12 said:

> > > > What’s everyone’s set make up with the 1st and 2nd gen P790s? I have 4-PW and I had to replace my 21* hybrid with a 19* to fell the gaps between the 21* 4 iron and my 15* 3wood. Previous set went up to 5 iron and then 21* hybrid and then 15* 3 wood

> > >

> > > GAPR Mid 3 iron

> > > 4 - PW P790 (2nd gen)

> > > Vokey 52, 56, 60

> >

> > Cool ok. Im going to stick with my 19* hybrid in the bag then for gapping purposes

>

> P790 4 iron has a loft of 21 degrees, so I think a 19* hybrid will go well with it!

Sweet thanks man appreciate it!

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @BiggErn said:

> > @MrShield said:

> > BTW, my numb> @BiggErn said:

> > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> > > > >

> > > > Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

> > >

> > > I have the original 790s and they were almost identical in size compared to AP2s. The difference in topline was minute. Blade length pretty much identical. My MG wedge looks looks more “chunky” than my P790 set AW. It’s a hollow club designed for a wide array of golfers so it’s not gonna have the profile of a baby blade.

> >

> > P790 same size as AP2 718? You can’t be serious? ?

> >

> > Have you hold an AP2 pitch next to P790 pitch? Can you seriously say they are the same size? ??

>

> Like I said, blade length is pretty much identical and the topline is a hair thicker on the 790. If you don’t believe it then go look for yourself.

I own both AP2 718 and P790. There is no resemblance whatsover. Remember we’re talking about 8-P here and especially the P. Even the AP3 is clearly smaller than P790. Also the topline I clearly thinner even on AP3 than P790.

And then I’m not even mentioning the sole which is like night and day on AP2 and P790.

Not sure how you can state they are the same size, it’s simply not true. Not even close.

On TXG's page right now waiting for it to start. I already know they're not going to find much differences in performance, but the looks will be more of a "players" looking club for those who don't like looking down on chunkier irons. Just like every other review out there, lol.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> On TXG's page right now waiting for it to start. I already know they're not going to find much differences in performance, but the looks will be more of a "players" looking club for those who don't like looking down on chunkier irons. Just like every other review out there, lol.

exactly what they said

> @MrShield said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @MrShield said:

> > > BTW, my numb> @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > > > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> > > > > >

> > > > > Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

> > > >

> > > > I have the original 790s and they were almost identical in size compared to AP2s. The difference in topline was minute. Blade length pretty much identical. My MG wedge looks looks more “chunky” than my P790 set AW. It’s a hollow club designed for a wide array of golfers so it’s not gonna have the profile of a baby blade.

> > >

> > > P790 same size as AP2 718? You can’t be serious? ?

> > >

> > > Have you hold an AP2 pitch next to P790 pitch? Can you seriously say they are the same size? ??

> >

> > Like I said, blade length is pretty much identical and the topline is a hair thicker on the 790. If you don’t believe it then go look for yourself.

>

> I own both AP2 718 and P790. There is no resemblance whatsover. Remember we’re talking about 8-P here and especially the P. Even the AP3 is clearly smaller than P790. Also the topline I clearly thinner even on AP3 than P790.

> And then I’m not even mentioning the sole which is like night and day on AP2 and P790.

>

> Not sure how you can state they are the same size, it’s simply not true. Not even close.

>

>

I disagree. Sole width (and top line) are the differences, not much from address position. Edit: these are both PW. New P790 left, 718 AP2 right.57vht66pi2vo.jpg

• Like 1

> @MrShield said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @MrShield said:

> > > BTW, my numb> @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > > > > > So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

> > > > > >

> > > > > Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

> > > >

> > > > I have the original 790s and they were almost identical in size compared to AP2s. The difference in topline was minute. Blade length pretty much identical. My MG wedge looks looks more “chunky” than my P790 set AW. It’s a hollow club designed for a wide array of golfers so it’s not gonna have the profile of a baby blade.

> > >

> > > P790 same size as AP2 718? You can’t be serious? ?

> > >

> > > Have you hold an AP2 pitch next to P790 pitch? Can you seriously say they are the same size? ??

> >

> > Like I said, blade length is pretty much identical and the topline is a hair thicker on the 790. If you don’t believe it then go look for yourself.

>

> I own both AP2 718 and P790. There is no resemblance whatsover. Remember we’re talking about 8-P here and especially the P. Even the AP3 is clearly smaller than P790. Also the topline I clearly thinner even on AP3 than P790.

> And then I’m not even mentioning the sole which is like night and day on AP2 and P790.

>

> Not sure how you can state they are the same size, it’s simply not true. Not even close.

>

>

I only know what I see.

• Like 1

> @GolfSwang said:

> Have there been any sightings of these in Canadian golf shops yet? Demo heads? Besides TXG...

Golf Town in BC has had the new P790 demo heads for a couple weeks now. In fact, I was fitted mid-August and my custom ordered set arrived Aug 28th (before their official on-sale date of Sep 6th).

Went to Cool Clubs today and got fit into these. Distance gain of 18 yards carry with 6i over my i200's. Feel great and seemed to suit me well.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

> @J9293 said:

> > @fredstar said:

> > Went to Cool Clubs today and got fit into these. Distance gain of 18 yards carry with 6i over my i200's. Feel great and seemed to suit me well.

>

> You have an 18 yard distance gain because you hit a 5 iron loft on these new 790s compared to your 6 iron.

>

>

The captain has arrived!!!

Can we stop pretending people are unaware of the stronger lofts?

• Like 1

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @AG12 said:

> What’s everyone’s set make up with the 1st and 2nd gen P790s? I have 4-PW and I had to replace my 21* hybrid with a 19* to fell the gaps between the 21* 4 iron and my 15* 3wood. Previous set went up to 5 iron and then 21* hybrid and then 15* 3 wood

I played 5-PW before with a 21* G Crossover. Since switching to P790's I know play 4-PW, and the top of my bag as remained consistent with 15* 3W and 18* 5W, although at a course length of 6,400 yards I find I use my 4i plenty and not much above it.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

> @macedan said:

> > @AG12 said:

> > What’s everyone’s set make up with the 1st and 2nd gen P790s? I have 4-PW and I had to replace my 21* hybrid with a 19* to fell the gaps between the 21* 4 iron and my 15* 3wood. Previous set went up to 5 iron and then 21* hybrid and then 15* 3 wood

>

> I played 5-PW before with a 21* G Crossover. Since switching to P790's I know play 4-PW, and the top of my bag as remained consistent with 15* 3W and 18* 5W, although at a course length of 6,400 yards I find I use my 4i plenty and not much above it.

Thank you I actually went on a similator yesterday and found that the Driver, 3 wood (15*) then 19* hybrid before my 4 iron. Perfect gapping

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @ASN21 said:

> > @larciel said:

> > Any word on 50% bonus trade in offer for buying p790?

>

> It would be great if TaylorMade offered something like this on their website. I know Callaway always does this for their big new drops and it definitely helps the price hit of buying something new.

They did late last year into early 2019. I got a great offer on my Ping i500's last February. It is not permanent though, so you need to check frequently or just sign up for their emails.

• Like 1

> @ASN21 said:

> > @larciel said:

> > Any word on 50% bonus trade in offer for buying p790?

>

> It would be great if TaylorMade offered something like this on their website. I know Callaway always does this for their big new drops and it definitely helps the price hit of buying something new.

They had a 150% trade-in offer for the M5/M6 launch. I don't think the 790 release is big enough.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @J9293 said:

> > @fredstar said:

> > Went to Cool Clubs today and got fit into these. Distance gain of 18 yards carry with 6i over my i200's. Feel great and seemed to suit me well.

>

> You have an 18 yard distance gain because you hit a 5 iron loft on these new 790s compared to your 6 iron.

>

>

Thanks Einstein!

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

No complaints so far with the new P790s. Love the feel and forgiveness these clubs offer and they look sweet in the bag and at address

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND