The Plan (Book)- Coach James Jordan

> @darter79 said:

> @leezer99 I'm sure he has :D

My son did go to JJ for about two years and I've had Georgia on my lap during lessons. Just didn't work out for us but I still send a bunch of junior golfers his way. A lot of people know he's a music guy as well but don't know he has another IG account under jfunkla. He absolutely wrecks a turntable and has thousands upon thousands of vinyl records. As for The Plan, I can say that I haven't ordered it but would assume it's a helpful, easy and quick read for kids. He has a lot of inspiration (personal and golf related) to share which your child might enjoy.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

@kekoa

JJ is a good person with good intentions which is much more than I can say about a lot of other people in this world. If he were creating a hostile environment or a detriment to anyone's development I would just be silent about it.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> I think my kid would flourish under JJ. His personality is right in line with what my kid needs. He is a really good teacher of the swing.

My son saw him like 4 times as a 6-7 yr old and it wasn't a fit at all. More for me than my son, but yah it seems like he definitely knows his stuff. I had actually referred 3 kids to him and all of them have since moved on to different instructors.

> @kekoa said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > I think my kid would flourish under JJ. His personality is right in line with what my kid needs. He is a really good teacher of the swing.

>

> My son saw him like 4 times as a 6-7 yr old and it wasn't a fit at all. More for me than my son, but yah it seems like he definitely knows his stuff. I had actually referred 3 kids to him and all of them have since moved on to different instructors.

Interesting to say the least. My kid needs to be patted on the back. As a 6-7 year old I think it is over the top. As a teen I think it is great. May have a totally different opinion watching it happen live. The thing is, doesn't matter what we think as parents. The student/child/kid/player has to learn and be comfortable with the coach/student relationship. I think more so in golf/tennis/swim/individual sports the relationship of the student/coach has to be great for the kid to flourish. A kid can still excel with a crappy baseball coach.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 3 weeks later...

**_The Plan by James F. Jordan Recap_**

Ok, so like I said, I received a copy of this book in PDF and ePub formats on Friday night. Popped a copy of the ePub file on my phone and read through the entire book during a 5 hour round my son played on Sunday. Mind you, I took plenty of breaks to watch my son hit shots and I will definitely read through the book again to get down some of the nuance that I feel like I missed.

This part of the intro really lays out what you can expect: "...Something simple and effective that can help a golfer, parent, instructor, coach, task effectively in their journey. That’s the sole purpose behind this book. Through my experience and journey, I share how to plan effectively." _The Plan_ should be on everyone's list to read if you feel like you are lost in the process or if you just are winging it and wondering why your junior golfer isn't developing like some other golfers are. There are parents out there that are doing all of these things already but this book pretty much lays it all out there with practice plans, weekly scheduling plans, fitness and nutrition plans, etc.

I would recommend that when you order this book, you as the parent, should read through it first before having your junior golfer read it. There will be parts that they can gloss over depending on where they are in their development and maturity. Likewise there will be sections that you can gloss over if you've been in junior golf development for a while now. For example, Get Fit might be a chapter you have already gone through but it's still good to read in case you missed something. I guarantee there will be something in _The Plan_ that resonates with you.

What this book is NOT... this is not a swing technique instruction manual. You aren't going to read about the grip, stance or where your load should be at P3. You aren't going to learn about the 'tushy turn' or really any other JJ'isms you might see on his Instagram page.

_The Plan_ helps you as a parent lay out a foundation for future success and it can be applied to beginners through elite level players all through appropriate focus.

My recommendation would be for every parent to pick up a copy and give it a chance. It's only $60 and I know we have all dropped more coin on other crap that doesn't pan out.

Peace. @leezer99

> @CTgolf said:

> $60 - wow

If your kid wins or contends in every event they enter this may not be the book for you.

If you have a weekly plan covering all major aspects of junior golf development then this book may not be for you.

If you have never gotten frustrated at your kids performance then this book may not be for you.

You're not going to find a more comprehensive book that both you and your junior golfer can read to help guide you through the process, in my opinion. You might find all of this information in five or six other books plus a myriad web sites but at least here it's compiled into one easy reference.

I would love to hear about any other guides that anyone has read or used that might be better but I doubt there are many.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > $60 - wow

> If your kid wins or contends in every event they enter this may not be the book for you.

> If you have a weekly plan covering all major aspects of junior golf development then this book may not be for you.

> If you have never gotten frustrated at your kids performance then this book may not be for you.

>

> You're not going to find a more comprehensive book that both you and your junior golfer can read to help guide you through the process, in my opinion. You might find all of this information in five or six other books plus a myriad web sites but at least here it's compiled into one easy reference.

>

> I would love to hear about any other guides that anyone has read or used that might be better but I doubt there are many.

I picked up Rotella's "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect" and "Golf Is a Game of Confidence" for $3 and some change at a local Savers. Really good stuff in those books.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Just finished. VERY quick read . Topics cover an overview of different components of a junior golf development plan ; skills, fitness, short game, speed, mental game , etc. BUT aside from a few drill ideas (that do seem good) and a list of exercises in a few sections, there is nothing here that I have not already read or heard in other books, articles, podcasts, etc. I was expecting a more detailed blueprint and actual schedule sample or something to help organize all of these things into a useful schedule. Pretty much all of the points and topics covered we are already doing in some capacity . As @leezer99 said, the book tries to pull content from several different subjects into one, but It’s hard to be able to pull it all together in one book with useful detail that can be implemented. It’s too vague in this book- it hits on the right topics, but not a lot of Depth. I have found really good value in a handful of other books ;Daddy Caddy on the bag (Heard), The Golf of your Dreams (Rotella - excellent book on helping find the right coach), Don’t Should on Your Kids (Bell), Journey to Excellence (Brunton), Mental Toughness for Golf (Bell), The Talent Code (coyle) to name a few that come to mind. I am a fan of Coach JJ’s teaching and personality (what I see on IG at least) and commend him for writing this book, BUT I think for anyone who’s junior has at least a season or two of competitive golf under their belt this is not worth nearly the $60 price tag. You can get the same basic message in Daddy Caddy on the bag for $9.99, which includes more specific and useful detail IMO. You can probably compile the entire list of books above used on amazon for the same cost.

> @hangontight said:

> Just finished. VERY quick read . Topics cover an overview of different components of a junior golf development plan ; skills, fitness, short game, speed, mental game , etc. BUT aside from a few drill ideas (that do seem good) and a list of exercises in a few sections, there is nothing here that I have not already read or heard in other books, articles, podcasts, etc. I was expecting a more detailed blueprint and actual schedule sample or something to help organize all of these things into a useful schedule. Pretty much all of the points and topics covered we are already doing in some capacity . As @leezer99 said, the book tries to pull content from several different subjects into one, but It’s hard to be able to pull it all together in one book with useful detail that can be implemented. It’s too vague in this book- it hits on the right topics, but not a lot of Depth. I have found really good value in a handful of other books ;Daddy Caddy on the bag (Heard), The Golf of your Dreams (Rotella - excellent book on helping find the right coach), Don’t Should on Your Kids (Bell), Journey to Excellence (Brunton), Mental Toughness for Golf (Bell), The Talent Code (coyle) to name a few that come to mind. I am a fan of Coach JJ’s teaching and personality (what I see on IG at least) and commend him for writing this book, BUT I think for anyone who’s junior has at least a season or two of competitive golf under their belt this is not worth nearly the $60 price tag. You can get the same basic message in Daddy Caddy on the bag for $9.99, which includes more specific and useful detail IMO. You can probably compile the entire list of books above used on amazon for the same cost.

Thanks for helping us all save $60

> @hangontight said:

> Just finished. VERY quick read . Topics cover an overview of different components of a junior golf development plan ; skills, fitness, short game, speed, mental game , etc. BUT aside from a few drill ideas (that do seem good) and a list of exercises in a few sections, there is nothing here that I have not already read or heard in other books, articles, podcasts, etc. I was expecting a more detailed blueprint and actual schedule sample or something to help organize all of these things into a useful schedule. Pretty much all of the points and topics covered we are already doing in some capacity . As @leezer99 said, the book tries to pull content from several different subjects into one, but It’s hard to be able to pull it all together in one book with useful detail that can be implemented. It’s too vague in this book- it hits on the right topics, but not a lot of Depth. I have found really good value in a handful of other books ;Daddy Caddy on the bag (Heard), The Golf of your Dreams (Rotella - excellent book on helping find the right coach), Don’t Should on Your Kids (Bell), Journey to Excellence (Brunton), Mental Toughness for Golf (Bell), The Talent Code (coyle) to name a few that come to mind. I am a fan of Coach JJ’s teaching and personality (what I see on IG at least) and commend him for writing this book, BUT I think for anyone who’s junior has at least a season or two of competitive golf under their belt this is not worth nearly the $60 price tag. You can get the same basic message in Daddy Caddy on the bag for $9.99, which includes more specific and useful detail IMO. You can probably compile the entire list of books above used on amazon for the same cost.

Rick Heard is a great guy. Know him fairly well.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 2 months later...

Ok, just got an update from JJ.

The hard copy is coming out in 2020 at $14.99/$19.99 depending on what store you get it at. It will also be available as a hard copy on amazon at $24.99. I won't get into why the price was originally set at $60 but just know that a significant amount of the proceeds were donated to a charity. I hope you all give it a chance at those price points and see the value in what he has to offer.

I am not a paid shill that is saying to buy it because he is a friend. I know lots of kids that have gotten copies and enjoy reading and re-reading it to gain insight on all it has to offer.