2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Shipped a head, then customer says it rattles

Dr.Chipinski

Looking for help on how to handle this situation. Never had anything like it before. I had a completely factory glue in 3 wood up for sale, original build. I had played it for a couple months, club had zero issues. Customer wants the head only, no problem. I take it to the local shop and they use an electric heat gun, I watched, to pull the shaft. It definitely was not overheated. They did not clean the head or hosel up after pulling because I was in a hurry to get it to the post office before closing.

Well, my customer builds it up and emails me saying it has a rattle. Neither one of us can send it in for warranty because neither one of us have a receipt of original purchase. I think he or whoever put a shaft in it drilled too deep when cleaning it up maybe? It never rattled in my possession. I don't want to get negative feedback on my profile, and I want to treat the customer fairly.

Looking for reasonable advice and hopefully experience from someone who understands rattles. Thank you in advance. I want to do the customer right, but I also can't afford to be paying for someone else's bad club work. I don't know the solution.

Latest email from him below. (Context, the head was part of a trade. Original LP for the 3 wood with a HZRDUZ handcrafted black was $139) I don't want a screwed up head that now has a bunch of hotmelt in it. And I think he could be trying to scam me out of $120.

"I am going to try one more time to get the hot melt to grab the object (which I think is either epoxy or a hosel plug which may have melted and fallen in when your club maker removed the shaft).

If that does not work - the I would like to send the head back to you for a partial refund. I would say about $120 of the deal was associated with the value of the Srixon head. Does that work for you?"

I don't know which head it is but make sure he has all of the weights tightened up as well. If its not that then the installer jacked it up 100%. I think when prepping he bored through the metal in the hosel just as you predicted. Rattle stop will work if he removes the shaft etc but its up to him to deal with it with his club builder in my opinion. If his guy can't get a simple shaft install right or take the initiative to fix it knowing there wasn't a rattle to start the install then I would hate to see what kind of mess he makes with hotmelt.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
Srixon Z565 4-AW
Vokey Indigo 54
Vokey Indigo 60
Camico Newport 2

If everything was perfect when it left your hands, and it wasn't damaged in shipment then I feel you did your due diligence. Once someone receives the item and decides to modify, build, etc., then they have deemed the item as acceptable upon receipt. Who is to say that they (or the builder) did not damage it during modification. Any decent builder would know there is a rattle in the head before assembly...it's very noticeable.

• Like 1

> @"Olde Maroon" said:

> Agree with the above two posters. I would add that you should invite the buyer to the thread if you haven't already. Otherwise, this one doesn't seem too tricky.

Everyone, thank you for the help so far. Maroon, that's a good idea. I'll share the thread with him.

I agree with everyone else. He should have noticed any rattle in the head prior to have someone work on it. If he says it rattled as soon as he received it, that's one thing. But if he had a shaft installed and then claimed a rattle, that's his problem.

He wants you to pay $120 for the head? Lol. A Srixon 3 wood head? What model is it?

What did you receive in the trade? I think him asking you to pay cash for the 3 wood head that was part of the trade, after he had work done to it, is pretty ballsy.

> @straightshot7 said:

> I agree with everyone else. He should have noticed any rattle in the head prior to have someone work on it. If he says it rattled as soon as he received it, that's one thing. But if he had a shaft installed and then claimed a rattle, that's his problem.

>

> He wants you to pay $120 for the head? Lol. A Srixon 3 wood head? What model is it?

>

> What did you receive in the trade? I think him asking you to pay cash for the 3 wood head that was part of the trade, after he had work done to it, is pretty ballsy.

It's the newest one, the F85. (no weight that could be loose). I traded him a putter I had listed on bst for $375 and the Srixon head for a Ping g410 LST three wood head, adapter, and $220.

This is the complete first message after he received the clubs. This was Sept 1st:

"So everything arrived. The putter is beautiful- but too long for me. I plan to cut it down to 40”’ and put a JumboMax Bryson grip on it. If you haven’t- you need to try one of those with your arm locks

The Srixon head looked good. I did notice that there were a few nicks near the top line toe side, but nothing bad. I shafted it up - and hit it today. After the first strike I heard a rattle in the head. Something loose inside. Did you every notice that?

I have pulled the shaft and I see that the hosel has a port through to the head. I am going to inject some hotmelt and hope it captures the rattling fragment. I really hope this works - as I love the shape and it hits very solidly.

If it doesn’t - I hope we can work it out."

Once he started shafts it and certainly after he added hotmelt any responsibility you may have had is gone imo

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

> @KC13 said:

> Don't pay him a dime considering he had work done to it. Could of easily been the club builder...

> @Bad9 said:

> Once he started shafts it and certainly after he added hotmelt any responsibility you may have had is gone imo

> @Krt22 said:

> Yeah if he added hotmelt as well it is absolutely his club to keep.

Thank y'all so much for the help

It sounds like he thinks he's dealing with Golf Galaxy or something. Some people don't understand that used clubs from a private party don't come with a money back guarantee for minor imperfections. Especially after you've had someone work on the club (install a shaft) and use it on the range/course. Heck, does Golf Galaxy even accept returns of used clubs?

FWIW in my opinon this falls under the possible but not probable category. I had that happen one time with a Hogan driver where it didnt rattle when i put it together but must have been the impact from hitting the ball a few times that knocked something loose. Then again thats one of MANY bonded heads ive done that it happened with where none of the others had the same fate. Also pretty sure i was in a mood and went a little hog wild with the drill when prepping that one. So it was most likely my prep work that actually caused the problem. The thing in your favor is he went ahead and started adding hotmelt. Once that was done its his to keep bc its no longer the same head you sent. I wouldnt expect someone to take a head back after i changed things on it.

Though it can drive a man insane fooling with it, if the rattle went in it can come out the same way it went in.... Well maybe not now that it has a bunch of glue in/on it.

Good news everyone, he was able to get the rattle fixed and we are all settled. Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated!

"Good news! I heated up the head/face where the hot melt settled last night and shook the head until it was quiet. After letting it cool, I hit about 10 solid strikes with the club and no rattles. So I think I have the fragment captured in the hotmelt.

BTW -- this is a great 3 wood. It really hits solidly. I stuck a Ping Tour 75X shaft I had laying around and it really hits nice. I am going to put it into play and see how it does.

I wish I hadn't had the rattle issue, but I do like the club."

> @"Dr.Chipinski" said:

> Good news everyone, he was able to get the rattle fixed and we are all settled. Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated!

>

> "Good news! I heated up the head/face where the hot melt settled last night and shook the head until it was quiet. After letting it cool, I hit about 10 solid strikes with the club and no rattles. So I think I have the fragment captured in the hotmelt.

>

> BTW -- this is a great 3 wood. It really hits solidly. I stuck a Ping Tour 75X shaft I had laying around and it really hits nice. I am going to put it into play and see how it does.

>

> I wish I hadn't had the rattle issue, but I do like the club."

Glad it worked out but sorry you even had to deal with this. Mind sharing the username so I can avoid them?

"I wish I hadn't had the rattle issue, but I do like the club." - - -oh, so sorry you had to deal with that sir. He writes these letters like you're sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear if he's satisfied with his purchase.

He reminds me of a friend I have who thinks everyone around him is just there to make him happy. If there's ever a disagreement (and he is usually the source and at fault in everything) he finds a way to twist it around and blame it on someone else. A huge sense of entitlement and self-centerdness. Dealing with people like that is exhausting.

Guys - I am the buyer, a three year member and frequent trader. I am also an experienced but hobbyist builder -- and have bonded several clubs without issue.

I am a bit saddened by some of the comments in this thread, but I want to be clear - at no point was I trying scam anyone or blame someone for any mistake I made. The rattle presented itself after the **first ** hard strike with the club (on my indoor setup) after I shafted the club. The hosel was in good shape so I only did a light prepping. I pulled the shaft and added hot melt solely to try and capture the rattling culprit - which I eventually did (this is after I tried to shake the culprit out). The reality is that things get loose inside hollow clubs under normal usage, which is one reason factories add hot melt/rat glue to them.

I truly wanted the club and I am glad I get to keep it. I am a solid trader, and I have lots of positive feedback - 100+ (if it ever comes back). If I ever sell you an item and it immediately suffers a failure/issue - I will work with you to make it right.

Happy trading ... and hit 'em straight.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange CK 60TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Mizuno T22 54* - Taylormade High Toe 58*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

> @Qwiklap said:

> Guys - I am the buyer, a three year member and frequent trader. I am also an experienced but hobbyist builder -- and have bonded several clubs without issue.

>

> I am a bit saddened by some of the comments in this thread, but I want to be clear - at no point was I trying scam anyone or blame someone for any mistake I made. The rattle presented itself after the **first ** hard strike with the club (on my indoor setup) after I shafted the club. The hosel was in good shape so I only did a light prepping. I pulled the shaft and added hot melt solely to try and capture the rattling culprit - which I eventually did (this is after I tried to shake the culprit out). The reality is that things get loose inside hollow clubs under normal usage, which is one reason factories add hot melt/rat glue to them.

>

> I truly wanted the club and I am glad I get to keep it. I am a solid trader, and I have lots of positive feedback - 100+ (if it ever comes back). If I ever sell you an item and it immediately suffers a failure/issue - I will work with you to make it right.

>

> Happy trading ... and hit 'em straight.

>

>

>

Sorry but if you put a shaft in the head and then hit it, and then notice a rattle, you're not entitled to a refund.

And it sounds like you were expecting a return/refund even after putting in hotmelt if that didn't solve the problem. That's just asking a lot of a seller.

I'm of the ilk that if I get an item in the condition as advertised, that's the end of the story. I'm not going to be emailing the seller about some imperfections I might find later on after I've modified the club.

But to each their own I guess. Hope you enjoy the 3 wood, rattle or not.

• Like 2

> @Qwiklap said:

> Guys - I am the buyer, a three year member and frequent trader. I am also an experienced but hobbyist builder -- and have bonded several clubs without issue.

>

> I am a bit saddened by some of the comments in this thread, but I want to be clear - at no point was I trying scam anyone or blame someone for any mistake I made. The rattle presented itself after the **first ** hard strike with the club (on my indoor setup) after I shafted the club. The hosel was in good shape so I only did a light prepping. I pulled the shaft and added hot melt solely to try and capture the rattling culprit - which I eventually did (this is after I tried to shake the culprit out). The reality is that things get loose inside hollow clubs under normal usage, which is one reason factories add hot melt/rat glue to them.

>

> I truly wanted the club and I am glad I get to keep it. I am a solid trader, and I have lots of positive feedback - 100+ (if it ever comes back). If I ever sell you an item and it immediately suffers a failure/issue - I will work with you to make it right.

>

>

>

>

If you weren't trying to scam then you shouldn't have said anything about a rattle to op. You don't do work on a club and then make claims about it

> @Qwiklap said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

All the positive feedback in the past is meaningless if you thought you were due some kind of refund once you started altering what you received in any way. And yes that includes shafting it and certainly after you added hotmelt. I have reshafted hundreds of clubs and still occasionally make a mistake and get stuff in the head. I guess you have been lucky on your several clubs so far.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06