Andrew Luck Offers A Lesson For Golf Fans, Too

puttfordoux

Gronk’ll come back before Luck?

As far as “exploitation,” and having Played DI ball and five of my defensive teammates went on to Play on Sundays, and all that I will say is that no one ever “made” us go out and Play, just as no one forced my Buds to sign their contracts and pursue a Professional career. Eleven knee surgeries(5l, 6r) and two shoulder reconstructions(l) later, yea, I guess that I’m payin the price however no one made me Play with injuries that looking back, at least the half season with a chronically dislocated shoulder strapped into place with a chest/bicep harness, I should have probably made a different decision, though I made those decisions of my own volition.

I haven’t read a single statement much less article regarding Luck, his reasons for retiring or anything about it, though when I heard it my gut said that he lost the passion, lost the fire?. Sure injuries svck and the more there are, the older that ya get, the harder that it is to rehab, regroup and come out firing again on all cylinders, however many that may be. They take their toll and the mental rehab and putting one’s mind in the right place is imminently more taxing and difficult than the rehabbing of the actual physical injury. It’s tough and depending on the injury and the date of one’s mind, it can be brutal.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that as anyone that has Played ball after HS will tell ya that even in college, it’s a job, and especially if you’re goin to school to get an education also, which I was, it’s can be friggin brutal, cuz my chemistry and physics proffs didn’t wanna hear that I was in so much pain that I’d slept less than three hours since my Saturday game as I sat 3/4 zoned in their Monday morning lecture or lab. Most guys can barely get through college and all they have to do is get up and make it to class, with no other worries or commitments.

He’s Played a lot of ball, taken a lot of hits and won a lot of games. It’s a roller coaster for sure. He’s gotta life, family and I’m sure many things that he’d like to accomplish and do with a body healthy enough to do them, with his kids, family and friends.

“He quit on his team????????”

That statement coming off this board is like the guys that rip a Tour Boy for not being able “to handle the pressure” or giving their opinion on “the worst(THIS was absolutely unequivocally hands down my favorite thread of All-Friggin Time??) Major winner of all-time!!!”

Oh dear Lord, I friggin loooooove this place??

“Quit on his team?????”

With this I’m gonna bid my adieu~

I’m in waaaaay over my head here and the one thing that I did learn from Pete was when to exit stage right, maybe not always gracefully, but to get the h*ll off the stage none the less, haha

Stay well my Friends?

RP

• Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @Forged4ever said:

> Gronk’ll come back before Luck?

>

> As far as “exploitation,” and having Played DI ball and five of my defensive teammates went on to Play on Sundays, and all that I will say is that no one ever “made” us go out and Play, just as no one forced my Buds to sign their contracts and pursue a Professional career. Eleven knee surgeries(5l, 6r) and two shoulder reconstructions(l) later, yea, I guess that I’m payin the price however no one made me Play with injuries that looking back, at least the half season with a chronically dislocated shoulder strapped into place with a chest/bicep harness, I should have probably made a different decision, though I made those decisions of my own volition.

>

> I haven’t read a single statement much less article regarding Luck, his reasons for retiring or anything about it, though when I heard it my gut said that he lost the passion, lost the fire?. Sure injuries svck and the more there are, the older that ya get, the harder that it is to rehab, regroup and come out firing again on all cylinders, however many that may be. They take their toll and the mental rehab and putting one’s mind in the right place is imminently more taxing and difficult than the rehabbing of the actual physical injury. It’s tough and depending on the injury and the date of one’s mind, it can be brutal.

>

> There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that as anyone that has Played ball after HS will tell ya that even in college, it’s a job, and especially if you’re goin to school to get an education also, which I was, it’s can be friggin brutal, cuz my chemistry and physics proffs didn’t wanna hear that I was in so much pain that I’d slept less than three hours since my Saturday game as I sat 3/4 zoned in their Monday morning lecture or lab. Most guys can barely get through college and all they have to do is get up and make it to class, with no other worries or commitments.

>

> He’s Played a lot of ball, taken a lot of hits and won a lot of games. It’s a roller coaster for sure. He’s gotta life, family and I’m sure many things that he’d like to accomplish and do with a body healthy enough to do them, with his kids, family and friends.

>

> “He quit on his team????????”

>

> That statement coming off this board is like the guys that rip a Tour Boy for not being able “to handle the pressure” or giving their opinion on “the worst(THIS was absolutely unequivocally hands down my favorite thread of All-Friggin Time??) Major winner of all-time!!!”

>

> Oh dear Lord, I friggin loooooove this place??

>

> “Quit on his team?????”

>

> With this I’m gonna bid my adieu~

>

> I’m in waaaaay over my head here and the one thing that I did learn from Pete was when to exit stage right, maybe not always gracefully, but to get the h*ll off the stage none the less, haha

>

> Stay well my Friends?

> RP

>

>

>

>

Steve Beuerlein is not a clueless wrxer. He played 17 years in the NFL and is shocked that Luck quit on his team.

[twitter.com/stevebeuerlein/status/1165664480824455168](

"twitter.com/stevebeuerlein/status/1165664480824455168")

It's his life, he can quit if he wants to.

But I don't buy the whole "he made the decision that was best for his health" etc...as if he was really forced to make the decision due to health concerns.

No, guys have played through a lot worse. He just doesn't want to play anymore because he's already rich and he's not in love with the game.

That's fine. Let's just not pretend it was some noble decision he was forced to make.

> @Im_A_Savage said:

> > @Forged4ever said:

> > Gronk’ll come back before Luck?

> >

> > As far as “exploitation,” and having Played DI ball and five of my defensive teammates went on to Play on Sundays, and all that I will say is that no one ever “made” us go out and Play, just as no one forced my Buds to sign their contracts and pursue a Professional career. Eleven knee surgeries(5l, 6r) and two shoulder reconstructions(l) later, yea, I guess that I’m payin the price however no one made me Play with injuries that looking back, at least the half season with a chronically dislocated shoulder strapped into place with a chest/bicep harness, I should have probably made a different decision, though I made those decisions of my own volition.

> >

> > I haven’t read a single statement much less article regarding Luck, his reasons for retiring or anything about it, though when I heard it my gut said that he lost the passion, lost the fire?. Sure injuries svck and the more there are, the older that ya get, the harder that it is to rehab, regroup and come out firing again on all cylinders, however many that may be. They take their toll and the mental rehab and putting one’s mind in the right place is imminently more taxing and difficult than the rehabbing of the actual physical injury. It’s tough and depending on the injury and the date of one’s mind, it can be brutal.

> >

> > There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that as anyone that has Played ball after HS will tell ya that even in college, it’s a job, and especially if you’re goin to school to get an education also, which I was, it’s can be friggin brutal, cuz my chemistry and physics proffs didn’t wanna hear that I was in so much pain that I’d slept less than three hours since my Saturday game as I sat 3/4 zoned in their Monday morning lecture or lab. Most guys can barely get through college and all they have to do is get up and make it to class, with no other worries or commitments.

> >

> > He’s Played a lot of ball, taken a lot of hits and won a lot of games. It’s a roller coaster for sure. He’s gotta life, family and I’m sure many things that he’d like to accomplish and do with a body healthy enough to do them, with his kids, family and friends.

> >

> > “He quit on his team????????”

> >

> > That statement coming off this board is like the guys that rip a Tour Boy for not being able “to handle the pressure” or giving their opinion on “the worst(THIS was absolutely unequivocally hands down my favorite thread of All-Friggin Time??) Major winner of all-time!!!”

> >

> > Oh dear Lord, I friggin loooooove this place??

> >

> > “Quit on his team?????”

> >

> > With this I’m gonna bid my adieu~

> >

> > I’m in waaaaay over my head here and the one thing that I did learn from Pete was when to exit stage right, maybe not always gracefully, but to get the h*ll off the stage none the less, haha

> >

> > Stay well my Friends?

> > RP

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Steve Beuerlein is not a clueless wrxer. He played 17 years in the NFL and is shocked that Luck quit on his team.

>

> [twitter.com/stevebeuerlein/status/1165664480824455168](

"twitter.com/stevebeuerlein/status/1165664480824455168")

Exactly!!!!!

Steve Beuerlein has “been there done that” and has earned the right to say anything that he wants, whether I or anyone else agree with him or not.

A “clueless wrxer” has not?

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @straightshot7 said:

> It's his life, he can quit if he wants to.

>

> But I don't buy the whole "he made the decision that was best for his health" etc...as if he was really forced to make the decision due to health concerns.

>

> No, guys have played through a lot worse. He just doesn't want to play anymore because he's already rich and he's not in love with the game.

>

> That's fine. Let's just not pretend it was some noble decision he was forced to make.

Well put Brother?

This is what my gut is tellin me though we’ll probably never know.

I gotta feeling that there were some “tells” that had nothin to do with injuries if some of the guys in the locker room look back over the past year or so.

I hope that you’re having a nice season?

Stay well?

RP

• Like 1

> @Forged4ever said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > It's his life, he can quit if he wants to.

> >

> > But I don't buy the whole "he made the decision that was best for his health" etc...as if he was really forced to make the decision due to health concerns.

> >

> > No, guys have played through a lot worse. He just doesn't want to play anymore because he's already rich and he's not in love with the game.

> >

> > That's fine. Let's just not pretend it was some noble decision he was forced to make.

>

>

> Well put Brother?

>

> This is what my gut is tellin me though we’ll probably never know.

>

> I gotta feeling that there were some “tells” that had nothin to do with injuries if some of the guys in the locker room look back over the past year or so.

>

> I hope that you’re having a nice season?

>

> Stay well?

> RP

Thanks you too!

Yeah I mean it's his decision and more power to him.

But what changed between now and 6 months ago? A calf injury?

Maybe he realized he didn't have the game/arm/shoulder left to lead a team?

I don't know but I don't think it was because of concerns over protecting his brain from concussions.

My perception is that Luck is an honest man. Honest enough, and cerebral enough, to know it was time to walk away. Combining injuries (real pain, not discomfort), mental tolls that were being paid at and ever increasing amount, and the prospect of nothing changing in regards to these things put him in what appeared to be a desperate state, and he wanted out of that desperation. I neither fault nor applaud, but I observe these things in him. I wish him well, and I hope he breaks par this year!

The guy probably has 30 million in his bank account. He’s one hit in the head away from potential brain damage, he is in constant pain, I say he might be the smartest guy in the room.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @Ferguson said:

> > @bullie76 said:

> > A lesson for golf fans? Dumb article.

>

> Agreed. Terribly written.

>

> Here is a lesson: the so-called journalists of today should focus more on the given event and less on the public's reaction to the event.

>

> Space filler.

Journalism is dead, it’s all about the tweets and retweets, likes and “hits”

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

We all have the right to quit our jobs whenever we want (we might not have the luxury, but we have the right). Luck has no ownership in the Colts or the NFL; he’s an employee. I believe in loyalty and commitment, but honestly, who here has worked one job their whole life? Who hasn’t quit a good job with good bosses to pursue a better opportunity?

This is disappointing because Luck was really good at what he did, but ultimately he should be allowed to make choices that affect his life. It’s like when Michael Jordan retired during his prime Bulls years. It was disappointing because Chicago had just finished a 3-peat and the core of the team was sticking together. Could have been 8-9 championships without that baseball stint. But MJ had that right and, honestly, he didn’t owe the fans or ownership anything.

If we only made decisions that didn’t disappoint anyone, we probably wouldn’t make many decisions, and certainly would be sacrificing our own happiness and health. It’s no different for professional athletes. Remember, this is their JOB.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @dlygrisse said:

> The guy probably has 30 million in his bank account. He’s one hit in the head away from potential brain damage, he is in constant pain, I say he might be the smartest guy in the room.

Robert Smith, Calvin Johnson, Barry Sanders probably agree as do several guys who recently called it quits in the last couple years after a season or two.

> @"15th Club" said:

> I like Andrew Luck, I respect his decision, and I actually love this issue for what it is.

>

> To me, this is a gigantic issue about how wonderful college football is, and how awful the NFL is. Can anybody imagine a stadium of Stanford students and alumni at Stanford Stadium ever booing Andrew Luck for any reason? Yet that is what some of the boorish NFL fans in Indianapolis did. It's shameful. Hateful, really. They simply proved that Luck made the right decision. Big time. Luck loved college football and everything about it and played it for nothing more than a scholarship and the fun of playing.

>

> I bring this up in the context of a golf discussion because so often I see comparisons of golf, and golf's ruling bodies, to other professional sports leagues. But the NFL is not "football," and the PGA Tour is