Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***)

This talk of breakfast burritos has my mouth watering. Don't think that I have the ingredients either. Funny, but I was looking at a bag of avocados yesterday at the Superstore, but left them behind as we're trying to get used to keeping less food in inventory due to limited storage versus where we came from.

The renovation is in the home stretch now as the painters finished yesterday. I finally got around to begin to hang some artwork on the walls after more than a month of just sitting there and thinking about it. Slowly, but surely we are settling in and the place is feeling more like home. It's funny, but I had actually forgotten about a couple of pieces that now have a far more prominent place than before, while others suited the old place much better and will likely not get hung here at all. DW likes clean walls whereas I could be quite happy living in an art gallery, so it's always a bit of a compromise with us as to what and where.

With tournament season now in full swing, I have been asked to help out with barbequing for food tournaments. It's not a bad gig and this one pays versus the strictly volunteer nature of starting and marshalling. I'm going to ask if I can leave a set of clubs up ther for the remainder of the season so that if the moode strikes I can play a quick nine after a shift. There may not be a lot left to the season, but I'm going to try and play more often once back from the west. Ther should be about 6 good weeks left at that point.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > > > Try finding authentic Mexican food in Alabama, lol. The most

> > > > > > popular restaurant in our small town is a Mexican restaurant

> > > > > > called Cozumel. The locals love it. It's not bad if you can accept

> > > > > > it for what it is..........MexiBama....or AlaMex.........food.

> > > > >

> > > > > I know where you are coming from because I know you were raised out west---- In my cross country trucking days I learned where the good authentic Mexican places were. I remember there was this little place on I-10 I think in Arizona that was a Mom and Pop type place and they had great authentic Mexican food. We used to stop there all the time we were through there. Another driver turned us on to that place. Another place we loved for the BBQ ribs was the old West T Go truck stop out by Odessa Texas. Even though I was raised in the South and the pepper vinegar type BBQ guy and loved their ribs and brisket. I guess from what all the road drivers tell me now all those old places are gone replaced by fast food places in the Pilot and Loves truck stops

> > > >

> > > > The mom and pop truckstops are slowly becoming extinct as they

> > > > cannot compete with the national chains on fuel prices and the

> > > > restaurant business is just not enough to keep them open.

> > > >

> > > > Frankly, I am glad to be out of the trucking business. The last truck

> > > > I had had a fancy Bendix system in it that tracks how you drive

> > > > and warns you if you stray from your lane or get too close to a

> > > > vehicle in front of you, etc. It is an obnoxious system that beeps

> > > > and sounds alarms, even activates the engine brake and truck

> > > > brakes if another vehicle pulls in front of you.

> > > >

> > > > They call it the "Collision Mitigation System"........I call it the "Worse

> > > > than a Back Seat Driver System". I hated it and felt it was more

> > > > likely to cause a collision than avoid one.

> > > >

> > > > Beware of fancy terms like "Adaptive Cruise Control" if someone

> > > > ever wants you to get in one of these new trucks. So glad I'm

> > > > retired.

> > >

> > > One of my buds drives for another company delivering storage containers--- He has a 2018 Mack Slope nose with all that mess on it. he is old school like me and he says all that mess is about to run him crazy. He also said something about it cuts the AM FM radio off if you get too close to someone. That 2016 I drive is enough for me. Had problems the other week before I went on vacation with the DEF system derated me to 5 MPH. But this time the redneck outwitted the computer. Simply unplugged the speedometer sensor wire and that gave me a second stage derate so I came to the beach at 52MPH but got it home. I figured that part out from reading the book on it. Funny thing is you ought to hear the low wiper fluid alarm. First time it ever went off I thought I had blown the truck up. That thing is louder than the low air buzzer. Oh yes I tried un hooking that thing then it shows a fault code on the screen. Can't win but I did outwit the computer that one time

> >

> > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > > > > Try finding authentic Mexican food in Alabama, lol. The most

> > > > > > > popular restaurant in our small town is a Mexican restaurant

> > > > > > > called Cozumel. The locals love it. It's not bad if you can accept

> > > > > > > it for what it is..........MexiBama....or AlaMex.........food.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I know where you are coming from because I know you were raised out west---- In my cross country trucking days I learned where the good authentic Mexican places were. I remember there was this little place on I-10 I think in Arizona that was a Mom and Pop type place and they had great authentic Mexican food. We used to stop there all the time we were through there. Another driver turned us on to that place. Another place we loved for the BBQ ribs was the old West T Go truck stop out by Odessa Texas. Even though I was raised in the South and the pepper vinegar type BBQ guy and loved their ribs and brisket. I guess from what all the road drivers tell me now all those old places are gone replaced by fast food places in the Pilot and Loves truck stops

> > > > >

> > > > > The mom and pop truckstops are slowly becoming extinct as they

> > > > > cannot compete with the national chains on fuel prices and the

> > > > > restaurant business is just not enough to keep them open.

> > > > >

> > > > > Frankly, I am glad to be out of the trucking business. The last truck

> > > > > I had had a fancy Bendix system in it that tracks how you drive

> > > > > and warns you if you stray from your lane or get too close to a

> > > > > vehicle in front of you, etc. It is an obnoxious system that beeps

> > > > > and sounds alarms, even activates the engine brake and truck

> > > > > brakes if another vehicle pulls in front of you.

> > > > >

> > > > > They call it the "Collision Mitigation System"........I call it the "Worse

> > > > > than a Back Seat Driver System". I hated it and felt it was more

> > > > > likely to cause a collision than avoid one.

> > > > >

> > > > > Beware of fancy terms like "Adaptive Cruise Control" if someone

> > > > > ever wants you to get in one of these new trucks. So glad I'm

> > > > > retired.

> > > >

> > > > One of my buds drives for another company delivering storage containers--- He has a 2018 Mack Slope nose with all that mess on it. he is old school like me and he says all that mess is about to run him crazy. He also said something about it cuts the AM FM radio off if you get too close to someone. That 2016 I drive is enough for me. Had problems the other week before I went on vacation with the DEF system derated me to 5 MPH. But this time the redneck outwitted the computer. Simply unplugged the speedometer sensor wire and that gave me a second stage derate so I came to the beach at 52MPH but got it home. I figured that part out from reading the book on it. Funny thing is you ought to hear the low wiper fluid alarm. First time it ever went off I thought I had blown the truck up. That thing is louder than the low air buzzer. Oh yes I tried un hooking that thing then it shows a fault code on the screen. Can't win but I did outwit the computer that one time

> > >

> > > I wanted to punch that Bendix screen many times but I knew all

> > > that would result in is me getting a bill for the repair. Still.....for a

> > > few seconds it would have felt SO good, lol.

> >

> > Unfortunately this is now part of the you cannot think for yourself brigade. All this new technology that is supposed to make life easier and safer conflicts with our natural instincts. Last week we were going somewhere new and the roads are a little up and down so we used our GPS, next right said the man so we took the next right, showed we were on the correct road but it took us to a farm gate with no road ahead it was a dead stop, looked at the GPS map and it definitely showed the road continuing past where we were. Don’t trust the self drive cars, don’t trust anything that takes control out of my hands.

> >

> > As a youngster I used to spend some school holidays helping a neighbour on his truck, went out with him several times so I can understand your confusion and anger when someone in a government office tells you he knows better when usually they would never have sat in a truck.

> When I was in the towing business here we had a road that cut through from SC HWY 90--- It would show clear to HWY 90 but it was not. About 2 miles down it dropped off into wilderness and a big hole. Despite signs telling you ROAD ENDS you do not know how many stupid tourons we pulled out of that hole. Their standard answer "well the GPS shows it"--- no common sense or any at all. That area at the time was controlled by the wildlife people. We were the only towing company around that would go off road and we also had a Bobcat loader too. We charged a minimun call out fee plus a hourly fee of $150 per hr. We did not try to gouge the insurance companies or the public but it was a job trust me. I have never gotten out of there under 5 hours. But they did not have any choice because we were called by the DNR (wild life officers) as in Police directed tow. Now finally that area has been paved all the way through with a nice road. Also down here during flooding events the Police have to be constantly on the News media warning people not to drive around barricades. In that case it is not really tourons but stupid locals. I can see it with say a jacked up 4X4 but with some folks they think they can drive a Toyota Camary through 4 feet of water. People absolutely can not think for themselves any more. In the USA we have turned into a nation of babbling idiots

>

After the farm gate we turned the GPS off and made our way by guess work. The road looked normal when we first turned into it. We have had several instances in one house we had where a near by boat ramp was always mistaken for a road by the GPS and drivers for some reason carried on even when it was fairly obvious there was no road. As you said quite correctly too many are now relying on technology and turning off the brain.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

> @scomac2002 said:

> This talk of breakfast burritos has my mouth watering. Don't think that I have the ingredients either. Funny, but I was looking at a bag of avocados yesterday at the Superstore, but left them behind as we're trying to get used to keeping less food in inventory due to limited storage versus where we came from.

>

> The renovation is in the home stretch now as the painters finished yesterday. I finally got around to begin to hang some artwork on the walls after more than a month of just sitting there and thinking about it. Slowly, but surely we are settling in and the place is feeling more like home. It's funny, but I had actually forgotten about a couple of pieces that now have a far more prominent place than before, while others suited the old place much better and will likely not get hung here at all. DW likes clean walls whereas I could be quite happy living in an art gallery, so it's always a bit of a compromise with us as to what and where.

>

> With tournament season now in full swing, I have been asked to help out with barbequing for food tournaments. It's not a bad gig and this one pays versus the strictly volunteer nature of starting and marshalling. I'm going to ask if I can leave a set of clubs up ther for the remainder of the season so that if the moode strikes I can play a quick nine after a shift. There may not be a lot left to the season, but I'm going to try and play more often once back from the west. Ther should be about 6 good weeks left at that point.

We both love art work on the walls, sometimes we go to extremes and cannot see any wall, unfortunately we do not have enough wall in the house so we are now starting to hang them in the garage, it is a large double so we have plenty of room. When you have painted them yourself it’s difficult to pick a favourite so we try to rotate them, the garage option will help.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Has anyone purchased furniture in a flat pack. We have done several over the years but this week we replaced some bedroom furniture, IKEA did not have the bedside cabinets in the size we wanted so we purchased those from another large retailer.

Other retailer, two cabinets, screws had no bite so were difficult to put in, required plenty of pressure as they only marked the hole positions and did not pre drill them. Where several screws were required in one item the holes did not all line up correctly, the two packs were different quality, so all in all even though they looked good when finished, building them was frustrating.

Purchased a large chest of drawers from Ikea, quality of hole positions perfect, holes were drilled for all screws and were the perfect size for the screws to bite in nicely making it much less effort and it took less time assembling a large item than it did the small item from the other store. In these days of trying to save the planet, Ikea have done a good job with their packaging. The other store had the boxes full of polystyrene which is difficult to break down. Ikea has specially made corregated cardboard which is 100 % recyclable.

Thought I would share as Ikea had plenty of bad publicity when they came to Australia and many businesses tried to stop them, but for me they are doing things better and making it easy to be a greenie, not as that is my thing. Have any Grillers used them, it is DWs number one store for any household item, so well presented, good prices and plenty of items to choose from.

Ad for Ikea finished, be safe Grillers, DW happy everything assembled and being used.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Golf on back burner again, shoulder is extremely painful still, doctor insists light exercises will fix it, working on it but not hopeful until son is back in action.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @tolmij said:

> Has anyone purchased furniture in a flat pack. We have done several over the years but this week we replaced some bedroom furniture, IKEA did not have the bedside cabinets in the size we wanted so we purchased those from another large retailer.

>

> Other retailer, two cabinets, screws had no bite so were difficult to put in, required plenty of pressure as they only marked the hole positions and did not pre drill them. Where several screws were required in one item the holes did not all line up correctly, the two packs were different quality, so all in all even though they looked good when finished, building them was frustrating.

>

> Purchased a large chest of drawers from Ikea, quality of hole positions perfect, holes were drilled for all screws and were the perfect size for the screws to bite in nicely making it much less effort and it took less time assembling a large item than it did the small item from the other store. I these days of trying to save the planet, Ikea have done a good job with their packaging. The other store had the boxes full of polystyrene which is difficult to break down. Ikea has specially made corregated cardboard which is 100 % recyclable.

>

> Thought I would share as Ikea had plenty of bad publicity when they came to Australia and many businesses tried to stop them, but for me they are doing things better and making it easy to be a greenie, not as that is my thing. Have any Grillers used them, it is DWs number one store for any household item, so well presented, good prices and plenty of it ems to choose from.

>

> Ad for Ikea finished, be safe Grillers, DW happy everything assembled and being used.

My Daughters bedroom is on the small side, and my wife picked up a loft bed for it from Ikea. Pretty cool as her chest of drawers and a chair sit nicely underneath it. We assembled it in less than an hour, and I'm not what you would consider handy.

• Like 2

WE have purchased a lot of housewares from Ikea over the years. Glasses have been a favourite as they're damned near indestructible on anything less than tile, concrete or granite. I bought a couple of pillows there and I liked those better than the high end pillows I got at the specialty mattress store. My DIL's father just finished installing an Ikea kitchen and i'm very impressed with the quality of the product he used. Lastly, I still maintain that the Poang chair is the best buy around and most comfortable chair ever designed.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @tolmij said:

> Came across this today, sent to me by DW.

>

> pdojddhwzhll.png

>

>

>

Kinda like a sign at a friend on mine's auto shop------ "If We Can't Fix It Junk It"------ I had one in my race car shop that was the epitome for the way we did stuff at the race shop----- " We make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Schmidt"----- I handmade and built stuff from junk when I raced. Built my own shocks and struts and adjusters for example

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @tolmij said:

> Has anyone purchased furniture in a flat pack. We have done several over the years but this week we replaced some bedroom furniture, IKEA did not have the bedside cabinets in the size we wanted so we purchased those from another large retailer.

>

> Other retailer, two cabinets, screws had no bite so were difficult to put in, required plenty of pressure as they only marked the hole positions and did not pre drill them. Where several screws were required in one item the holes did not all line up correctly, the two packs were different quality, so all in all even though they looked good when finished, building them was frustrating.

>

> Purchased a large chest of drawers from Ikea, quality of hole positions perfect, holes were drilled for all screws and were the perfect size for the screws to bite in nicely making it much less effort and it took less time assembling a large item than it did the small item from the other store. In these days of trying to save the planet, Ikea have done a good job with their packaging. The other store had the boxes full of polystyrene which is difficult to break down. Ikea has specially made corregated cardboard which is 100 % recyclable.

>

> Thought I would share as Ikea had plenty of bad publicity when they came to Australia and many businesses tried to stop them, but for me they are doing things better and making it easy to be a greenie, not as that is my thing. Have any Grillers used them, it is DWs number one store for any household item, so well presented, good prices and plenty of items to choose from.

>

> Ad for Ikea finished, be safe Grillers, DW happy everything assembled and being used.

Haven't been to Ikea since they opened a store 20 miles away, back in the 1990's. The only prefab item we ever bought was a computer desk setup from Kmart. In a flat box, everything was wood grain particle board. On sale at $60, a pretty good price. Assembly was easy, don't recall any problems. I recall the package was VERY heavy, had to unbox the desk to fit into the back seat of the car.

When you live in a house filled with family antiques, (junk) furniture purchases are rare. We gave the computer desk away a few years ago.

My grandfather made my mother, when she was a child, a faux roll top type desk, without the rolltop. Small, but big enough for an adult to sit at it. It was made with leftover wood and was painted brown. I used it throughout my boyhood as a play desk. The desk sat in Mom's cellar, covered, for at least 30 years, until the house was sold in 2005. I didn't have the heart to throw it away, so it sat in my cellar, until about five years ago.

I was going to give it away on junk day, but I decided to clean the cobwebs off. Had a few cans of black spray paint, so decided, after a good cleaning, to spray paint (outside) the desk black. The desk looked pretty good in black, left it air out on the porch for several days, and now I use it as a laptop computer desk since.

I'm a sentimental old fool, but I really found satisfaction in using that old homemade desk.

Cheers!

• Like 2

> @Wriggles said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > Has anyone purchased furniture in a flat pack. We have done several over the years but this week we replaced some bedroom furniture, IKEA did not have the bedside cabinets in the size we wanted so we purchased those from another large retailer.

> >

> > Other retailer, two cabinets, screws had no bite so were difficult to put in, required plenty of pressure as they only marked the hole positions and did not pre drill them. Where several screws were required in one item the holes did not all line up correctly, the two packs were different quality, so all in all even though they looked good when finished, building them was frustrating.

> >

> > Purchased a large chest of drawers from Ikea, quality of hole positions perfect, holes were drilled for all screws and were the perfect size for the screws to bite in nicely making it much less effort and it took less time assembling a large item than it did the small item from the other store. In these days of trying to save the planet, Ikea have done a good job with their packaging. The other store had the boxes full of polystyrene which is difficult to break down. Ikea has specially made corregated cardboard which is 100 % recyclable.

> >

> > Thought I would share as Ikea had plenty of bad publicity when they came to Australia and many businesses tried to stop them, but for me they are doing things better and making it easy to be a greenie, not as that is my thing. Have any Grillers used them, it is DWs number one store for any household item, so well presented, good prices and plenty of items to choose from.

> >

> > Ad for Ikea finished, be safe Grillers, DW happy everything assembled and being used.

>

> Haven't been to Ikea since they opened a store 20 miles away, back in the 1990's. The only prefab item we ever bought was a computer desk setup from Kmart. In a flat box, everything was wood grain particle board. On sale at $60, a pretty good price. Assembly was easy, don't recall any problems. I recall the package was VERY heavy, had to unbox the desk to fit into the back seat of the car.

> When you live in a house filled with family antiques, (junk) furniture purchases are rare. We gave the computer desk away a few years ago.

> My grandfather made my mother, when she was a child, a faux roll top type desk, without the rolltop. Small, but big enough for an adult to sit at it. It was made with leftover wood and was painted brown. I used it throughout my boyhood as a play desk. The desk sat in Mom's cellar, covered, for at least 30 years, until the house was sold in 2005. I didn't have the heart to throw it away, so it sat in my cellar, until about five years ago.

> I was going to give it away on junk day, but I decided to clean the cobwebs off. Had a few cans of black spray paint, so decided, after a good cleaning, to spray paint (outside) the desk black. The desk looked pretty good in black, left it air out on the porch for several days, and now I use it as a laptop computer desk since.

> I'm a sentimental old fool, but I really found satisfaction in using that old homemade desk.

> Cheers!

The chest of drawers we removed and replaced with the Ikea furniture was the very first proper piece we purchased, made of good grade timber, can’t remember what type, but it was heavy and stained a dark brown. The new furniture is white, a little smaller but much more storage space and makes our bedroom brighter. We do like proper made stuff but sometimes a compromise is required

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @scomac2002 said:

> WE have purchased a lot of housewares from Ikea over the years. Glasses have been a favourite as they're damned near indestructible on anything less than tile, concrete or granite. I bought a couple of pillows there and I liked those better than the high end pillows I got at the specialty mattress store. My DIL's father just finished installing an Ikea kitchen and i'm very impressed with the quality of the product he used. Lastly, I still maintain that the Poang chair is the best buy around and most comfortable chair ever designed.

The wine glasses we purchased from there are almost indestructible but at the same time the most comfortable and easy to hold that we have ever owned, who ever does their design work is a genius.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Fun scores from yesterday.

S. Carolina 72 Charleston Southern 10

Maryland 63 #21 Syracuse 20

#4 Oklahoma 70 So. Dakota 14

#16 Oregon 77 Nevada 6

Div II/III

Wesley College 69 Franklin Pierce 0

U. St. Thomas 69 Trinity International 3

Suny Cortland 63 Fitchburg So. 0

Portland St. 70 Simon Fraser 7

• Like 2

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

> @Qqq123xx said:

> Have no idea why two scores are huge. Did not do that and tried couple times to edit.

Sometimes this has a life all of its own and refuses to do what you ask. Quite often I have posted something completely different to my original intention because mistakes would not go away and the only way was to put in something different, it does not like being told do not post that. Some parts of this update do not work as well as the old system.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Wildly inconsistent is the best way to describe my play as of late and it will be within the same 9 holes not from one game to the next. Two weeks ago I shot the same for three holes as I did for the other six. Today wasn't much different as I got off the tee with a booming drive on one, stuck it to 8 feet with my second and then proceeded to two putt for par. Then the wheels fell off for the next three holes with two lost balls and some sketchy putting. I began to right the ship on five and then parred the next three holes only to then miss the ninth by an inch leaving a downhiller short. That performance left me a stroke shy on the Nassau once again, but I did take home the closest to the pin for the third time -- quarters rather than dollars; a first world problem as they say...

A quick change of clothes later and then I'm back on the job running the barbeque as there was a food tournament this afternoon. The cash gigs are always nice on the side which lead to a discussion with one of my playing buds about his daughter being paid in cash while working on a cruise ship. Now that would be sweet!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Qqq123xx said:

> Fun scores from yesterday.

>

> S. Carolina 72 Charleston Southern 10

>

> Maryland 63 #21 Syracuse 20

>

> #4 Oklahoma 70 So. Dakota 14

>

> #16 Oregon 77 Nevada 6

>

>

>

> Div II/III

> Wesley College 69 Franklin Pierce 0

>

> U. St. Thomas 69 Trinity International 3

>

> Suny Cortland 63 Fitchburg So. 0

>

> Portland St. 70 Simon Fraser 7

Maryland just put the heat on Clemson; who is playing Syracuse

this coming Saturday. Syracuse is a good team who had an off

week.........and I got a feeling Clemson won't beat them by 43

and because of the beatdown the Terps gave Syracuse, Clemson

will be expected to do the same+.

Maybe Alabama will be #1 afer this next week's games.

• Like 1

Problems locally today, Bush fires, some of them started deliberately by kids. So far the closest to us is around 10 miles but with the present dry conditions and high winds it does not take long for them to spread. Already around 50 miles away many homes and businesses have been lost, due to the warning system everyone is safe. The whole district is covered in a smoke haze, not too bad yet but we are keeping a close watch on a web site updated every 5 minutes on all the fires within 200 miles and there are dozens of them. Our whole district is state Forrest, the local fire brigade usually do a clearance burn once a year early in the season but this year everything has been extra early and caught all the authorities not ready for the early fire season.

I hope all you Grillers are safe from the storm, it seems at present the whole world is going mad, nature is fighting back.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

And so it begins...

With the bathroom reno now in the finishing stages my attention has turned to taming this overgrown landscape in earnest. I did a bunch of pruning and weeding early on along with deadheading the multitude of perenials, but had sat and pondered about what to do with the various trees and shrubs that have grown beyond all useful proportion.

Saturday saw the demise for all intents and purposes of a mutant Wisteria that had overtaken our patio area. Underneath was revealed all manner of hosta, lily-of-the-valley, fern and hydrangea. So much so that by next year I doubt we'll even have to worry about the substanial stump left behind other than to use is as a pedestal for a planter full of annuals.

Yesterday my BIL and I went to work on the other 20 plus trees/shrubs marked for removal of which we felled 5 and dug the roots of a couple that were manageable. We also went to trim town with the hollies and a Mugo Pine that was encroaching on the driveway. It's surprising how much of the house we opened up from the street view with what we've done so far.

WE have identified a large number of perenials that are ripe for moving/dividing and we will be doing a far bit of that this fall to fill in the open spaces that we have/will have created. I even hope to transplant 3 boxwoods for fill-ins. The idea is that we can minimize the amount of new plant material that will be required if a landscaper was let loose on the project which is DW's prefered option, but she has essentially given me free reign to do whatever I want at this point. My suggestion is to DIY a lot of it and then hire out the construction portion of the project where a new hard surfaced sitting area will go with pergola to coverup the remenants of a swimming pool.

So far, I have lots of willing helpers and will conscript their services as needed. For the most part BIL and myself will be on point with SIL acting as pruning specialist and design consultant. We work well together and leaving DW out of it tends to work best for some reason. WE did a full house togther when we flipped my MIL's house following her passing and that went very well, so I see no reason for this being any less successful especially when the team likes this kind of work. I'm hoping that we'll get by on a day or two a week and have most of what I want to do in the near term tidied up by the end of October.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> And so it begins...

>

> With the bathroom reno now in the finishing stages my attention has turned to taming this overgrown landscape in earnest. I did a bunch of pruning and weeding early on along with deadheading the multitude of perenials, but had sat and pondered about what to do with the various trees and shrubs that have grown beyond all useful proportion.

>

> Saturday saw the demise for all intents and purposes of a mutant Wisteria that had overtaken our patio area. Underneath was revealed all manner of hosta, lily-of-the-valley, fern and hydrangea. So much so that by next year I doubt we'll even have to worry about the substanial stump left behind other than to use is as a pedestal for a planter full of annuals.

>

> Yesterday my BIL and I went to work on the other 20 plus trees/shrubs marked for removal of which we felled 5 and dug the roots of a couple that were manageable. We also went to trim town with the hollies and a Mugo Pine that was encroaching on the driveway. It's surprising how much of the house we opened up from the street view with what we've done so far.

>

> WE have identified a large number of perenials that are ripe for moving/dividing and we will be doing a far bit of that this fall to fill in the open spaces that we have/will have created. I even hope to transplant 3 boxwoods for fill-ins. The idea is that we can minimize the amount of new plant material that will be required if a landscaper was let loose on the project which is DW's prefered option, but she has essentially given me free reign to do whatever I want at this point. My suggestion is to DIY a lot of it and then hire out the construction portion of the project where a new hard surfaced sitting area will go with pergola to coverup the remenants of a swimming pool.

>

> So far, I have lots of willing helpers and will conscript their services as needed. For the most part BIL and myself will be on point with SIL acting as pruning specialist and design consultant. We work well together and leaving DW out of it tends to work best for some reason. WE did a full house togther when we flipped my MIL's house following her passing and that went very well, so I see no reason for this being any less successful especially when the team likes this kind of work. I'm hoping that we'll get by on a day or two a week and have most of what I want to do in the near term tidied up by the end of October.

Busy times ahead, very satisfying though when you do it yourself whichhas always been my preference.

At present we cannot do anything that requires power tools in our garden and unfortunately everything we need to do requires one. When we have a full on fire ban which is in place at present no internal combustion engines of any type can be used, it is also illegal to smoke in a field of any description, hopefully it will change soon when we have rain.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @Hankshank said:

> ckduazfak8p0.jpg

> Dont know what you people in english speaking countries would make of this sign at my golf club

>

There is no answer to that one.??

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Must be holiday season in the Grille, not too many meals being served, small report, next week I am having a cortisone injection in my shoulder to try and fix it.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Been really tired the last couple days. Walked nine yesterday and quit. Came home and just laid around the rest of the day. The last few days have pretty much seen the end of my monster drives. Getting well over 200, 220 or so, but no 250's and up. One drive, I really connected, paced off 240.

Still, no complaints.

Tol, good luck on your shoulder.

• Like 2

Actually, it's tournament season and I've been as busy as a three armed paperhanger! Another one today and it was in the rain. This group is a real pain in the arse to deal with and they're cheap to boot! Not a good combination...

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Had a few groups similar at my home club, they also never called through, claimed it slowed them up. We used to walk past them anyway and miss out a hole, made the day more enjoyable as it really got to them as they would deliberately speed up to catch us and complain about being held up. The result of them speeding up was a complete disintegration of their game which made us laugh harder.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @tolmij said:

> Had a few groups similar at my home club, they also never called through, claimed it slowed them up. We used to walk past them anyway and miss out a hole, made the day more enjoyable as it really got to them as they would deliberately speed up to catch us and complain about being held up. The result of them speeding up was a complete disintegration of their game which made us laugh harder.

Yeah I have run into clowns like that all to many times. Sometimes we would let them thru and then the big slowdown happens.

• Like 2

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

> @Conrad1953 said:

> Hope y'all are enjoying the early signs of fall. It's still summer

> here........no relief yet from the heat!.........a5ntk652ay60.jpg

>

But, that heat with that humidity is never a problem. When we start having those temperatures humidity is always around 90/95%. Walk outside with a block of soap and shower in the moisture.

We were up to 87 today second week of spring but the nights are still very cold, well cold for us around 40.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @tolmij said:

> > @Conrad1953 said:

> > Hope y'all are enjoying the early signs of fall. It's still summer

> > here........no relief yet from the heat!.........a5ntk652ay60.jpg

> >

>

> But, that heat with that humidity is never a problem. When we start having those temperatures humidity is always around 90/95%. Walk outside with a block of soap and shower in the moisture.

>

> We were up to 87 today second week of spring but the nights are still very cold, well cold for us around 40.

I could not stand humidity in the 90-95% range coinciding with 90+

degree temps. That is a steam bath, lol. I lived in humidity like that

when I lived in south Florida.

40% relative humidity at 90 degrees is more than enough for me

and about what we usually average here in the summer. It's lower

than that now because the ground is drier due to the lack of rain.

And we're heading into fall, which is usually our "dry" season.

Well, we average 54 inches per year of rain here. At some point

we're gonna get dumped on to make up for this.

• Like 1

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***)