2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Majors: Will We See a Change to the Current 4?

SkiSchoolPro

My guess is that the PGA Tour would be more inclined to go after the USGA's event rather than the PGA of America's. Players have questioned many of the set-ups, why the prize money went up so little when the TV contract exploded, and the guys running the organization. Yes, the US Open has tradition, but I think the players have more respect for the PGA of America.

Others have implied it's unfair to have 3 majors in the US and none in Asia and the Southern hemisphere.

What if the the PGA Tour came to an agreement with the PGA of America to play the US PGA Open father's day weekend with a field that included the 20 pros as well as an open qualifying process. The PGA Tour could then run a World Open that rotates between various countries.

> @LICC said:

> > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > > @nichho said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @ryanarneson said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @raynorfan1 said:

> > > > > > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > > > > > > @raynorfan1 said:

> > > > > > > > > I suspect that if it sticks (and they get the format right), the Olympics will come to achieve 'major' status in the same way that it has in tennis (and other sports). Career accomplishments for guys like Andy Murray are always going to be: three grand slams and two gold medals. Always mentioned in the same breath.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It never will. The fact that only 4 from the US will participate, and there are golfers playing who are not in the World top 500 means that the field is really weak.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > That was why I said "and they get the format right". I agree, in the current construct, it's not going to get there. But if they change the criteria for selection (and the number of people from each country eligible)...it would work.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The PGA Tour could kill the PGA Championship as a major and replace it with the Players if it wanted to. But it doesn’t make sense to do that now.

> > > > >

> > > > > How would the PGA Tour do that? They don't have a say in *any* of the current majors. (and they hate that) They don't get to replace anything.

> > > > >

> > > > > Oh, they'd LOVE to replace the PGA with The Players, but no one is buying what they are selling on that front.

> > > >

> > > > They could do it tomorrow if they wanted. Move the Players to May and have all the top players play it instead of the PGA

> > >

> > > Now that I would love to see. The PGA Tour move the Players directly against the PGA Championship and then lets see which is the most important to the actual players.

> > >

> > > I'm pretty sure that I know which event would win.

> >

> > Yeah....that would actually be a total disaster for the PGA Tour.....all the top guys would end up playing the PGA Championship, and the "top guys" that are left over would battle it out for The Players......nothing says high ratings like Cody Gribble or John Senden with a 54-hole lead in Ponte Vedra!

>

> That would never happen if the PGA Tour made this move. The PGA Tour is the group of PGA Tour players. The Tour would do this if the players wanted to do it, and therefore they would all play the Players instead of the PGA Championship.

No they wouldn't, they would play the major.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

> @SkiSchoolPro said:

> My guess is that the PGA Tour would be more inclined to go after the USGA's event rather than the PGA of America's. Players have questioned many of the set-ups, why the prize money went up so little when the TV contract exploded, and the guys running the organization. Yes, the US Open has tradition, but I think the players have more respect for the PGA of America.

> Others have implied it's unfair to have 3 majors in the US and none in Asia and the Southern hemisphere.

>

> What if the the PGA Tour came to an agreement with the PGA of America to play the US PGA Open father's day weekend with a field that included the 20 pros as well as an open qualifying process. The PGA Tour could then run a World Open that rotates between various countries.

I agree the Tour has more motivation now to do something against the USGA rather than the PGA. 50 years ago the Tour players and the PGA were stridently at odds. This is all just hypothetical and not happening any time soon. The PGA Championship would be the easier one to go after if it came to it because it really doesn't have any distinguishing identity like the other majors. It's a glorified Tour-like event as is.

> @nichho said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > > > @nichho said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @ryanarneson said:

> > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > @raynorfan1 said:

> > > > > > > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > > > > > > > @raynorfan1 said:

> > > > > > > > > > I suspect that if it sticks (and they get the format right), the Olympics will come to achieve 'major' status in the same way that it has in tennis (and other sports). Career accomplishments for guys like Andy Murray are always going to be: three grand slams and two gold medals. Always mentioned in the same breath.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It never will. The fact that only 4 from the US will participate, and there are golfers playing who are not in the World top 500 means that the field is really weak.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > That was why I said "and they get the format right". I agree, in the current construct, it's not going to get there. But if they change the criteria for selection (and the number of people from each country eligible)...it would work.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The PGA Tour could kill the PGA Championship as a major and replace it with the Players if it wanted to. But it doesn’t make sense to do that now.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How would the PGA Tour do that? They don't have a say in *any* of the current majors. (and they hate that) They don't get to replace anything.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Oh, they'd LOVE to replace the PGA with The Players, but no one is buying what they are selling on that front.

> > > > >

> > > > > They could do it tomorrow if they wanted. Move the Players to May and have all the top players play it instead of the PGA

> > > >

> > > > Now that I would love to see. The PGA Tour move the Players directly against the PGA Championship and then lets see which is the most important to the actual players.

> > > >

> > > > I'm pretty sure that I know which event would win.

> > >

> > > Yeah....that would actually be a total disaster for the PGA Tour.....all the top guys would end up playing the PGA Championship, and the "top guys" that are left over would battle it out for The Players......nothing says high ratings like Cody Gribble or John Senden with a 54-hole lead in Ponte Vedra!

> >

> > That would never happen if the PGA Tour made this move. The PGA Tour is the group of PGA Tour players. The Tour would do this if the players wanted to do it, and therefore they would all play the Players instead of the PGA Championship.

>

> No they wouldn't, they would play the major.

Not a chance. Their event is the Players. If something led to the Tour players being at odds with the PGA, they would bail on the PGA Championship for the Players without hesitation.

> @LICC said:

> > @nichho said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > > > > @nichho said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @ryanarneson said:

> > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > @raynorfan1 said:

> > > > > > > > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @raynorfan1 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > I suspect that if it sticks (and they get the format right), the Olympics will come to achieve 'major' status in the same way that it has in tennis (and other sports). Career accomplishments for guys like Andy Murray are always going to be: three grand slams and two gold medals. Always mentioned in the same breath.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > It never will. The fact that only 4 from the US will participate, and there are golfers playing who are not in the World top 500 means that the field is really weak.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > That was why I said "and they get the format right". I agree, in the current construct, it's not going to get there. But if they change the criteria for selection (and the number of people from each country eligible)...it would work.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The PGA Tour could kill the PGA Championship as a major and replace it with the Players if it wanted to. But it doesn’t make sense to do that now.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > How would the PGA Tour do that? They don't have a say in *any* of the current majors. (and they hate that) They don't get to replace anything.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Oh, they'd LOVE to replace the PGA with The Players, but no one is buying what they are selling on that front.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > They could do it tomorrow if they wanted. Move the Players to May and have all the top players play it instead of the PGA

> > > > >

> > > > > Now that I would love to see. The PGA Tour move the Players directly against the PGA Championship and then lets see which is the most important to the actual players.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm pretty sure that I know which event would win.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah....that would actually be a total disaster for the PGA Tour.....all the top guys would end up playing the PGA Championship, and the "top guys" that are left over would battle it out for The Players......nothing says high ratings like Cody Gribble or John Senden with a 54-hole lead in Ponte Vedra!

> > >

> > > That would never happen if the PGA Tour made this move. The PGA Tour is the group of PGA Tour players. The Tour would do this if the players wanted to do it, and therefore they would all play the Players instead of the PGA Championship.

> >

> > No they wouldn't, they would play the major.

>

> Not a chance. Their event is the Players. If something led to the Tour players being at odds with the PGA, they would bail on the PGA Championship for the Players without hesitation.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Regardless, discussion of such a situation is purly academic.......it'll never happen.

• Like 1

> @SkiSchoolPro said:

> What if the the PGA Tour came to an agreement with the PGA of America to play the US PGA Open father's day weekend with a field that included the 20 pros as well as an open qualifying process. The PGA Tour could then run a World Open that rotates between various countries.

This ignores the fact that the PGAA's members (club pros) are employed - almost entirely - by USGA constituent clubs. If the PGAA tried to get one over on the USGA, their members would be in a pretty tough spot.

Are tour players actually members of the PGAA? Could not find anything about this in a search. If they are not members, which I doubt they are, then they really hold no allegiance to them. The question then becomes, if there ever was a standoff between the Players and the PGA Tournament, which is highly doubtful it should ever happen, my guess would be that the tour pro's would have to align with their own tournament. After all, the tour is their paycheck, not the PGAA. Just mulling a what if scenario............

> @disco111 said:

> Are tour players actually members of the PGAA? Could not find anything about this in a search. If they are not members, which I doubt they are, then they really hold no allegiance to them. The question then becomes, if there ever was a standoff between the Players and the PGA Tournament, which is highly doubtful it should ever happen, my guess would be that the tour pro's would have to align with their own tournament. After all, the tour is their paycheck, not the PGAA. Just mulling a what if scenario............

Yes; they are A3 classified members of the PGAA.

But - of course - they are a tiny minority of the overall membership of the PGA.

• Like 1

> @disco111 said:

> Are tour players actually members of the PGAA? Could not find anything about this in a search. If they are not members, which I doubt they are, then they really hold no allegiance to them. The question then becomes, if there ever was a standoff between the Players and the PGA Tournament, which is highly doubtful it should ever happen, my guess would be that the tour pro's would have to align with their own tournament. After all, the tour is their paycheck, not the PGAA. Just mulling a what if scenario............

It would be a really difficult task for the leaders of the PGA Tour to get their players to boycott the PGA Championship. You'd be asking the top players to only play in 3 Majors that first year that they tried it because the Players Championship wouldn't be recognized as a Major, certainly not immediately. They'd have to first kill off the PGA and that might take a few years before anybody would give consideration to the Players Championship being considered a Major. Not to mention it would be a public relations nightmare.

Jordan Spieth needs the PGA for his Grand Slam. Tiger is chasing Jack. Rory, Koepka are in their prime and trying to add as many as possible to their Major titles. Asking these guys to skip the PGA so that the Tour can claim something that means nothing to these players is a big ask. You'd have to have a pretty good reason for these players to rally around skipping the PGA, and trying to elevate the Players Championship really wouldn't mean much to them in the grand scheme of things. What would be the point from their perspective? What would be the advantage for them personally? Right now they've got both the PGA Championship and the Players. What would be the advantage to getting rid of one of them? A few more bucks might be made off of the Players but they'd lose a huge event that paid out very well and brought a ton of prestige, and probably more than half of the golf world would be slamming the selfish power play they all would be employing. Bad for their image and for what reason would they do it? They've got the cat by the tail with the current setup because they've got the best of both worlds. In a perfect world, I'm sure the Tour wishes they controlled all of the Majors.... but they don't. But why would they risk the good thing that they've got going? They'd have already done it if it made sense.

> @gvogel said:

> > @raynorfan1 said:

> > I suspect that if it sticks (and they get the format right), the Olympics will come to achieve 'major' status in the same way that it has in tennis (and other sports). Career accomplishments for guys like Andy Murray are always going to be: three grand slams and two gold medals. Always mentioned in the same breath.

>

> It never will. The fact that only 4 from the US will participate, and there are golfers playing who are not in the World top 500 means that the field is really weak.

> @gvogel said:

> > @raynorfan1 said:

> > I suspect that if it sticks (and they get the format right), the Olympics will come to achieve 'major' status in the same way that it has in tennis (and other sports). Career accomplishments for guys like Andy Murray are always going to be: three grand slams and two gold medals. Always mentioned in the same breath.

>

> It never will. The fact that only 4 from the US will participate, and there are golfers playing who are not in the World top 500 means that the field is really weak.

> @gvogel said:

> > @raynorfan1 said:

>

The field is why the Olympics will never be a major. The winner is most likely going to come from one of the major golf nations. US, UK, Australia, Japan. Maybe throw in South Africa and Spain. That gives you 20 or so world class players. Add in a few wild cards from other countries and you only got a couple of dozen players who are serious contenders.

Add in the fact that it’s only played every four years and sometimes in countries that will end up building a second rate course (Brazil, I’m looking at you) to host.

As long as players want to put there names on the same trophies as Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods,, etc. the Masters, US Open, Open, and PGA will be the four majors.

Now at some future date when those names are forgotten and the China Open and Shanghai Masters are offering a billion dollars to the winner they might be considered majors. But you and I won’t see it.

A poster commented that the tour would like to have control of a major, but it would not happen. So thinking out loud, in a way the tour already has semi control of the PGA. Even though it's the PGAA's tournament, the tour is/has called the shots. My rational is the fact that only 20 club pro's are allowed to participate. It was 50 I believe at one time and it's been reduced to the current 20. I think they even want to reduce the number down to 10. If the tour has that much impact and if by chance they should get the reduction to 10, just what does that say about the importance of the PGAA and this tournament? Either way, it will remain a Major, but IMO, the tour has a double edge sword going for them. They want the Players to have a major status, but they also seemingly have control of the PGA. It's not that far fetched that the tour could eventually have total control of 2 majors if the Players ever should get that status.

> @disco111 said:

> It's not that far fetched that the tour could eventually have total control of 2 majors .

It is in my world

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

> @LICC said:

> @dalehead "If the narrative becomes that the majors are the only important thing in golf, then that’s dangerous because are fans not going to care for the other 48 weeks of the year?" - Rory McIlroy

My sense from hearing Rory's comments is that he's practicing a bit of self-delusion. It seems he somewhat tries to downplay the importance of majors (bc he didn't win one this year), but in the same interview he highlights a desire to spread out majors the way tennis does (referencing the Australian Open being held in January) to keep golf more relevant throughout the year......because deep down he knows how important these events are to both players and fans, and that they are the barometer by which the greatest players are measured....not that I blame him or take anything away from his great season. I'd probably feel the same way if I played as well as he did all year, but came up so woefully short at golf's 4 biggest events.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-rory-mcilroys-2019-season-at-major-championships-was-even-worse-than-you-think

Personally, I'd love to see majors spread out a bit more like he suggests......but barring a major in SoCal/South FL or further south, there's no way we're gonna see one in January.

> @disco111 said:

> A poster commented that the tour would like to have control of a major, but it would not happen. So thinking out loud, in a way the tour already has semi control of the PGA. Even though it's the PGAA's tournament, the tour is/has called the shots. My rational is the fact that only 20 club pro's are allowed to participate. It was 50 I believe at one time and it's been reduced to the current 20. I think they even want to reduce the number down to 10. If the tour has that much impact and if by chance they should get the reduction to 10, just what does that say about the importance of the PGAA and this tournament? Either way, it will remain a Major, but IMO, the tour has a double edge sword going for them. They want the Players to have a major status, but they also seemingly have control of the PGA. It's not that far fetched that the tour could eventually have total control of 2 majors if the Players ever should get that status.

The first Players was 45 years ago and it still hasn’t achieved major status. How much longer do you think it’s going to take?

> @dalehead said:

> > @disco111 said:

> > A poster commented that the tour would like to have control of a major, but it would not happen. So thinking out loud, in a way the tour already has semi control of the PGA. Even though it's the PGAA's tournament, the tour is/has called the shots. My rational is the fact that only 20 club pro's are allowed to participate. It was 50 I believe at one time and it's been reduced to the current 20. I think they even want to reduce the number down to 10. If the tour has that much impact and if by chance they should get the reduction to 10, just what does that say about the importance of the PGAA and this tournament? Either way, it will remain a Major, but IMO, the tour has a double edge sword going for them. They want the Players to have a major status, but they also seemingly have control of the PGA. It's not that far fetched that the tour could eventually have total control of 2 majors if the Players ever should get that status.

>

> The first Players was 45 years ago and it still hasn’t achieved major status. How much longer do you think it’s going to take?

>

Don't know and honestly don't really care. My main point was the tour having major control over the PGA.

Not sure what it would accomplish. More guys can say they're major winners? Retroactively crediting majors to past winners of the Carbonated Links Classic Sponsored by Zippy Cola would seem way wrong, since the past events would not have attracted major caliber players. I like that if TW ever catches Jack it wasn't because he had more majors to play.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like going with US Open, British Open, PGA Championship and the Players as the four majors would be the most logical.

Then we should get rid of the Tournament of Champions and instead treat The Masters as a glorious season opener.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

> @"Strömsborg" said:

> I feel like going with US Open, British Open, PGA Championship and the Players as the four majors would be the most logical.

> Then we should get rid of the Tournament of Champions and instead treat The Masters as a glorious season opener.

Make the PGA the season opener and rotate courses for the Players and that could work. The Masters is by far the most watched and most popular golf tournament in the world. It has to be a major.

> @"Strömsborg" said:

> I feel like going with US Open, British Open, PGA Championship and the Players as the four majors would be the most logical.

> Then we should get rid of the Tournament of Champions and instead treat The Masters as a glorious season opener.

LOL, it's glorious because it's a major, historically head and shoulders with The Open in terms of stature and greatness, one of the best venues and certainly the best run event ever, usually "the" tournament most players cite as the one they want to win the most and (what's the point) . . . . my suggestion is if some folks in green jackets knock on your door don't open it!

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @"Strömsborg" said:

> > I feel like going with US Open, British Open, PGA Championship and the Players as the four majors would be the most logical.

> > Then we should get rid of the Tournament of Champions and instead treat The Masters as a glorious season opener.

>

> LOL, it's glorious because it's a major, historically head and shoulders with The Open in terms of stature and greatness, one of the best venues and certainly the best run event ever, usually "the" tournament most players cite as the one they want to win the most and (what's the point) . . . . my suggestion is if some folks in green jackets knock on your door don't open it!

A major? It was supposed to be a nice getaway weekend for Bobby Jones and his friends. It has the weakest field and is the easiest to win once you're in. It's a ToC with good marketing and a golf course that looks half descent on TV.

Compare with the no fluff Open Championship, played on proper courses in proper weather and open to anyone that's good enough. The American copy is in for geopolitical reasons and the PGA and the Players needs no further introduction.

Now stop feeding the troll.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

> @"Strömsborg" said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @"Strömsborg" said:

> > > I feel like going with US Open, British Open, PGA Championship and the Players as the four majors would be the most logical.

> > > Then we should get rid of the Tournament of Champions and instead treat The Masters as a glorious season opener.

> >

> > LOL, it's glorious because it's a major, historically head and shoulders with The Open in terms of stature and greatness, one of the best venues and certainly the best run event ever, usually "the" tournament most players cite as the one they want to win the most and (what's the point) . . . . my suggestion is if some folks in green jackets knock on your door don't open it!

>

> A major? It was supposed to be a nice getaway weekend for Bobby Jones and his friends. It has the weakest field and is the easiest to win once you're in. It's a ToC with good marketing and a golf course that looks half descent on TV.

> Compare with the no fluff Open Championship, played on proper courses in proper weather and open to anyone that's good enough. The American copy is in for geopolitical reasons and the PGA and the Players needs no further introduction.

>

> Now stop feeding the troll.

The club was originally formed for Bobby Jones to have a top level club. But the tournament was always meant to be a premier tournament. They started it to generate more interest for memberships during the Depression.

> @"Strömsborg" said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @"Strömsborg" said:

> > > I feel like going with US Open, British Open, PGA Championship and the Players as the four majors would be the most logical.

> > > Then we should get rid of the Tournament of Champions and instead treat The Masters as a glorious season opener.

> >

> > LOL, it's glorious because it's a major, historically head and shoulders with The Open in terms of stature and greatness, one of the best venues and certainly the best run event ever, usually "the" tournament most players cite as the one they want to win the most and (what's the point) . . . . my suggestion is if some folks in green jackets knock on your door don't open it!

>

> A major? It was supposed to be a nice getaway weekend for Bobby Jones and his friends. It has the weakest field and is the easiest to win once you're in. It's a ToC with good marketing and a golf course that looks half descent on TV.

> Compare with the no fluff Open Championship, played on proper courses in proper weather and open to anyone that's good enough. The American copy is in for geopolitical reasons and the PGA and the Players needs no further introduction.

>

> Now stop feeding the troll.

I get that the Open (and USO) have open qualifiers that allow anyone who plays two or 3 hot rounds to get into a major, but the Masters does not exclude anyone- they invite everyone who won the Open the past 5 years, recent top 4 finishers of the Open...so anyone who was eligible to participate in an Open qualifier could make it to Augusta with 4 additional great rounds. Also, the Masters take everyone inside the OWGR top 50, regardless of how they got there as well as the last 5 winners and the top 4 of the most recent USO & PGA plus a number of number of other categories. Yes, it takes more good golf to qualify for an Augusta invitation, but there are objective standards which anyone good enough can meet. So I agree with you that it is the easiest to win once you get there because of the smaller field, but take exception to the notion that anyone good enough does not have a chance to play at Augusta (even if they set the bar higher).

On a side note, while I like many of the ways they determine the Open field, I don't think it is perfect. i.e. why do they take the 3rd place finishers (or possibly lower) of the Australian & South African Opens from the previous calendar year but don't offer a guaranteed spot to the current year Master's or PGA runner-up? (Yes, most top Augusta & PGA finishers will get in via the OWGR top 50, but this is not guaranteed while a guy finishing 8th or lower in the below tournaments might get a guaranteed spot

Open Qualifying Series

Around 22% of the field qualify via the Open Qualifying Series. It was introduced in 2014 and replaced international qualifying events run by the Open. Qualifying is available to the leading players (not otherwise exempt) who finish in the top n and ties, in around twelve events run by several international golf tours. Currently (as at 2019) the Open Series Qualifying events are:[4]

Location Tournament Spots Top

Australia Emirates Australian Open 3 10

Africa South African Open 3 10

Singapore SMBC Singapore Open 4 12

United States Arnold Palmer Invitational 3 10

Japan Mizuno Open 4 12

Canada RBC Canadian Open 3 10

Korea Kolon Korea Open 2 8

Spain Andalucia Valderrama Masters 3 10

United States Rocket Mortgage Classic 2 8

Ireland Dubai Duty Free Irish Open 3 10

Scotland Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open 3 10

What is considered a major won't change because the media will continue to hype the so called current majors no matter what. What is considered a major wouldn't change even if you were to take any one of the majors and for the next ten years that major was won every year by an unknown, un-charismatic, person with a huge ego who lies, cheats, and treats people like garbage. The media (and band wagon sports fans) would hype that person and say he is a golfing God and one of the best to ever play the game. TPTB want to maintain the status quo.

> @dalehead said:

> The first Players was 45 years ago and it still hasn’t achieved major status. How much longer do you think it’s going to take?

>

Unfortunately I don't see it happening because you have a bunch of talking heads who are opposed to it. The 5th major just popped up all the sudden on the LPGA and the Champions tours because the talking heads didn't stick their noses where it didn't belong, and you didn't have a bunch of organizations trying to block a new major in order to keep their own major special and prestigious.

In my mind the Players always has been, and always will be a major regardless of the talking heads and organizations that block it from being "official" .

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter