Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Why does golf continue to have a dress code?

Comments

• brycefazebrycefaze  103Members Posts: 103

I was playing a public town course the other day, a more upscale town course. The scorecard states "Proper golf attire required". However, when on the course, I was shocked how many people were playing golf with gym shorts and shirts on. This was on Sunday of Labor Day weekend.

At the end of they day the course seem to no longer enforce these rules, but me personally, I still feel uncomfortable if I am pulling up to a course with out a collard shirt on and proper golf shorts or pants....

Posted:
    • King Cobra F9 Speedback Driver 12 degree
    • Ping G400 5 wood
    • Titleist U510 - 3i 
    • Ping i210 4-w
    • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50 and 56 degree
    • Taylormade Spider
    • Taylormade TP5X, Titleist Pro V1(x)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DrewBallinDrewBallin  94Members Posts: 94

Like said above, times have changed.

Sure, private courses can/will do what they want and thats fine. I'm not a member. Public courses are just that, a course that anyone can go play.

I can agree that cut off jeans, shirts or whatever has a different place other than on a golf course, but
    reality is, if your paying, your playing. I personally dress comfortably nice, but won't look down on a person that might not be dressed "appropriate" to play a game.

Posted:
    In my Cobra King stand bag

driver-- Cobra King LTD with ust elements fire x-stiff shaft
    hybrids-- Cobra F6 2/3 & 3/4
    irons-- Cobra cb/mb 3-pw KBS c-taper 120 shafts
    wedge-- Cobra tour trusty 56*
    putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99  4417Members Posts: 4,417

@brycefaze said:
    I was playing a public town course the other day, a more upscale town course. The scorecard states "Proper golf attire required". However, when on the course, I was shocked how many people were playing golf with gym shorts and shirts on. This was on Sunday of Labor Day weekend.

At the end of they day the course seem to no longer enforce these rules, but me personally, I still feel uncomfortable if I am pulling up to a course with out a collard shirt on and proper golf shorts or pants....

Courses are all over the place on dress codes.

I've seen signs that read, "Proper golf attire preferred".
    I've seen courses that required collared shirt under your jacket when it's 35°F out in the winter.

When I played in blue denim last year, it felt very weird.

Posted:
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan  10130Members Posts: 10,130

this has to do with playing conditions. High temps and humidity can be murderous when playing outdoor sports. Choices would be early morning or after sunset. Can you wear band collar moisture wicking shirts at your club, no tee shirt and one size larger then needed.

Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • tideridertiderider  2369Members Posts: 2,369

because private clubs want to weed out those that won't do at least a minimum ... go to the muni in your track shorts if you want ... cubavera shirts are $25 and you can find any number of decent short for a similar amount ...

Posted:
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE  4370Members Posts: 4,370

Just about any place that's meant something to people will have either a posted or unspoken dress code.
    Golf is no exception.
    It'll never be like going to a swimming pool or backyard BBQ party. It's not quite like going to the house of God but, you get the drift.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Maine 20205Members Posts: 20,205

Times have changed, but the expectations of successful people who define them have not.

Posted:
    Titleist 915d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f3 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Titleist 716mb 3-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8
    Titleist ProV1

Do you stick your nose in the air if random people say hi to you also? Golf isn't a secret fraternity.

I guarantee that if a tour pro or any well known person for that matter walked up to ANY club house wanting to stroke some clubs he/she wouldn't be turned away if they were wearing pajamas even. Dress codes.... Not sayin, just sayin.

Posted:

putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • StetsonStetson  2553Members Posts: 2,553

First and foremost I think golf attire is every bit as comfortable as Athleisure clothing. As for the initial question I believe that a CLUB should require “golf attire”, a muni not as much.
    There are members conducting business, weddings, etc. A club that removes the dress code will see a decrease in revenues as members perceive a decrease in membership quality.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
    3w: Ping G400 SFT (Tour AD DI)
    3H: Ping G400 (Tour AD DI)
    3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Accra)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H
  • BMCBMC  3678Members Posts: 3,678

@DrewBallin said:
    Do you stick your nose in the air if random people say hi to you also? Golf isn't a secret fraternity.

** I guarantee that if a tour pro or any well known person for that matter walked up to ANY club house wanting to stroke some clubs he/she wouldn't be turned away if they were wearing pajamas even.** Dress codes.... Not sayin, just sayin.

Not true. Certainly not at the private club I work at and many others. Upscale country clubs aren't impressed by celebrity and money. Many of the members fit that description. NHL player, Kid Rock, whoever, you must wear a colored shirt, we have a nice selection to choose from.

Posted:
    Titleist 917D2
    Cleveland 13* FW
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18 Hybrid
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Mizuno T5 53* SW
    Odyssey 1WS putter
  • PmookiePmookie  9Members Posts: 9

LPGA ladies get to wear skirts and shorts, and tops that are almost tank tops, but PGA guys have to wear pants when it’s hot! Ridiculous. Let them wear shorts, good gracious !

Posted:

Advertisement

@BMC said:

@DrewBallin said:

** I guarantee that if a tour pro or any well known person for that matter walked up to ANY club house wanting to stroke some clubs he/she wouldn't be turned away if they were wearing pajamas even.** Dress codes.... Not sayin, just sayin.

Not true. Certainly not at the private club I work at and many others. Upscale country clubs aren't impressed by celebrity and money. Many of the members fit that description. NHL player, Kid Rock, whoever, you must wear a colored shirt, we have a nice selection to choose from.

We should all be good to go at your up scale country club then, I for one do have a colored shirt and I'm sure most people do. Everyone's money spends the same doesn't it?

I also think that your private club would give said higher profile people a colored shirts to wear so they didn't leave. Again not sayin, just sayin.

Posted:

putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MI 11491Members Posts: 11,491

Since when is putting on non-denim and a shirt with a collar getting "dressed up"??

Why do courses insist on this? Because it shows a sense of class, rather than having your clientele look like a bunch of drunken slobs, even if they are.

Posted:
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer  1304Members Posts: 1,304

@larrybud said:
    Since when is putting on non-denim and a shirt with a collar getting "dressed up"??

When jeans and a tshirt are normal everyday attire, non denim and collars are like dressing up. For those who wear slacks and collared shirts everyday at the office, it wouldn't feel like dressing up.

Posted:
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5505Members Posts: 5,505

It's really not that hard to dress appropriately. Beyond that, modern golf apparel is extraordinarily comfortable. What's the big deal?

You can always wear what ya want when ya go to Walmart

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • J13J13 Dad golf  15753Members Posts: 15,753

@Pmookie said:
    LPGA ladies get to wear skirts and shorts, and tops that are almost tank tops, but PGA guys have to wear pants when it’s hot! Ridiculous. Let them wear shorts, good gracious !

And why do we think that is? Certainly not traditional from a golf perspective but yet that's the norm out there. Funny how the traditionalists (aka old white men) have no problem with that but if a pga tour player wears shorts during a tourney round OMG the world will crumble and golf is dead. At some point common sense has to prevail.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Instagram- @Jminis13

Advertisement
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Kansas 13605Members Posts: 13,605

Go to a muni. Wear what you want. Join a club follow the rules. Life is great, you have choices.

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it!  910Members Posts: 910

Are there any private clubs which do not have a dress code? If so, I imagine it is strictly a golf club and possibly male only. I think Black Sheep, outside of Chicago, has a lax code, or perhaps none at all. I think it would be pretty cool to have a club confident enough in it's membership and exclusivity that they could eschew the formalities and be all about the golf.

Posted:
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5505Members Posts: 5,505

@PuttCurseRepeat said:
    Are there any private clubs which do not have a dress code? If so, I imagine it is strictly a golf club and possibly male only. I think Black Sheep, outside of Chicago, has a lax code, or perhaps none at all. I think it would be pretty cool to have a club confident enough in it's membership and exclusivity that they could eschew the formalities and be all about the golf.

Adios Club in Coconut Creek, FL, Gator Creek Club in Sarasota, FL, and Squires Club in Philadelphia. All are men's clubs with no dress codes. Interestingly, in my experience most who play there wear traditional golf attire anyway, with the exception of some pro athlete types who seem to have an affinity for cargo shorts. 🤔

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 Florida 156Members Posts: 156

I get 'dressing up' to play a round at any course muni or private. It was the couple comments about having to be dressed up on the range that seemed ridiculous. If I'm just on the range whats wrong with gym clothes? I don't see how that's a bad look since you're on the practice facility.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 15979Members Posts: 15,979

A nice appearance has nothing to do with spending a lot of money. That said, public practice ranges don't have dress codes, least that I am aware of, and I play in four states. Ranges at green grass locations, on the other hand, are influenced by the green grass course dress code. Muni course practice ranges are fairly flexible. Practice ranges at upscale courses, not so much. I encourage a dress code on nice golf courses and prefer being a member at a private club because I don't like looking at slobs as they don't fit into the surrounding beauty.

Posted:
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, PX HZRDUS Red 75
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

Advertisement

@Pepperturbo said:
    A nice appearance has nothing to do with spending a lot of money. That said, public practice ranges don't have dress codes, least that I am aware of, and I play in four states. Ranges at green grass locations, on the other hand, are influenced by the green grass course dress code. Muni course practice ranges are fairly flexible. Practice ranges at upscale courses, not so much. I encourage a dress code on nice golf courses and prefer being a member at a private club because I don't like looking at slobs as they don't fit into the surrounding beauty.

When in Rome...........

Posted:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • KMeloneyKMeloney  4871Members Posts: 4,871

@Warrior42111 said:
    I get 'dressing up' to play a round at any course muni or private. It was the couple comments about having to be dressed up on the range that seemed ridiculous. If I'm just on the range whats wrong with gym clothes? I don't see how that's a bad look since you're on the practice facility.

Is the range on the grounds of a golf course with a dress code?

Posted:

I have played a lot of golf at all kinds of courses, from snooty private old money courses to small town country courses with no clubhouse where you drop $8 in a bucket on the first tee. ( I enjoy them all for what they are) I am a member of a membership package that runs multiple private or semi private clubs and I always dress "appropriately" when at one of those. I also live down the street from 2 municipal courses and I will often drive over to hit a quick bucket on weekends wearing athletic wear or a T-shirt after mowing the lawn. It's all about fitting it to your environment.

Posted:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 Florida 156Members Posts: 156

@KMeloney said:

@Warrior42111 said:

Is the range on the grounds of a golf course with a dress code?

More of a in general statement for public/ semi private (private obviously have their own rules you pay for). My thoughts on this is more on growing the game. Say a friend or kids if you have them want to learn the game. The first place you take them is the range. Why not let them wear athletic clothing and then if they want to play the course get the polo and shorts.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• jwhite86jwhite86  684ClubWRX Posts: 684

I'm amazed at the amount of guys I see on the course actually dressed to play... considering how I see people dressed when showing up to weddings/ funerals etc

Posted:
    WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/

Advertisement

@jwhite86 said:
    I'm amazed at the amount of guys I see on the course actually dressed to play... considering how I see people dressed when showing up to weddings/ funerals etc

Golfers as a whole are probably a bit classier in terms of dress than the average funeral attender. I get the world is more casual than the 1950's when people wore a suit and tie to a ball game or golf tournament, but what I see some people were to a church or wedding is somewhat perplexing. I am the guy who hates wearing a tie, but I do when appropriate. I guess people these days are more concerned about showing off their tats than dressing appropriately.

Posted:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • LaznastyLaznasty Valparaiso, Indiana 744Members Posts: 744

@DrewBallin said:

@BMC said:

@DrewBallin said:

We should all be good to go at your up scale country club then, I for one do have a colored shirt and I'm sure most people do. Everyone's money spends the same doesn't it?

I also think that your private club would give said higher profile people a colored shirts to wear so they didn't leave. Again not sayin, just sayin.

Are you talking about a colored shirt or a collared shirt? Because theres a difference. Not sayin, just sayin.

Posted:
    Ping G410+
    Callaway GBB Epic 5W 
    Titleist 910H
    Taylormade P790 4i-Aw
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge 54° 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down.  1555Members Posts: 1,555

@monkeyboy said:
    My club is pretty low brow, yet still have to wear collared ****, etc.

>

thoughts?

Change the rules at your club or change clubs.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • North ButteNorth Butte  11741Members Posts: 11,741

There's no dress code in the Rules of Golf. Any dress codes you encounter are entirely up to the course (or driving range or whatever) you happen to want to play. There are a couple of scruffy courses I know of in my town where you'll see guys wearing stuff I wouldn't wear to be out digging a ditch in my backyard. And as for driving ranges, I don't know of any standalone driving ranges where there's a dress code other than not allowing people to be barefoot.

If there's some place with a dress code you don't like, go play somewhere that suits you instead. If you can't find any place to play that will let you wear what you like, maybe reconsider some of your lifestyle choices.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file