I-500s; after using them for a while, anybody else loathe them ?

jwb10

I had a fitting a few months ago and hit this iron.

I think the concept of is great. It looks like a blade but you get more forgiveness. I was excited to hit it but when I did, I thought it was a little too clicky.

Originally, I was going to go with the Callaway Apex. However, I stopped at a Dicks Sporting Goods and hit the Apex and the i210 in a simulator to double check for feel. I changed my mind and went with the i210 and I could not be happier.

It also helped the irons were $400 less, but as far as looks, they look as good as any iron out there and even though they are not forged, they feel great. I hit the Apex about 5 yards farther on average, but the shot dispersion was much better with the i210 (Nippon 105-S shafts).

Not to mention, they are very forgiving. I am noticing my misses are much better. I am coming from Callaway Razr X Tour's, which I bought off ebay years ago, without hitting them, but had some KBS C-Taper shafts put in.

My handicap has gone down about 3 strokes this year and these irons will not be leaving the bag anytime soon. I have been trying different golf balls, as the Bridgestone B-300s is no more. So far, the Taylormade TP5 is looking great, but will want to try others.

• Like 1

I had a fitting a few months ago and was very excited to hit this iron.

I understand the concept. There are players who have always admired blades but could not hit them consistently. When I hit the iron, I thought it was too clicky.

I originally went with the Callaway Apex over the i210. However, I stopped at a Dicks Sporting Goods and they had both irons in their simulator area. I went and hit both again and the i210 came out on top in regards to feel and sound. The Apex were about 5 yards longer on average, but the shot dispersion was much better with the i210 and they came out on top.

I could not be happier with the i210. They look great. Feel great and are very forgiving. It also helped that they were $400 less than the Apex.

My handicap has dropped about 3 strokes and they will be staying in my bag for a while. I generally shoot 1-2 rounds in the 70's in a season and I have close to a dozen already, including my career low of 1-over 73.

I am looking for a new golf ball, as the Bridgestone B-300s is no more. So far, I think the Taylor Made TP5 is the best one I have played.

> @NJgolfer11 said:

> I had a fitting a few months ago and hit this iron.

>

> I think the concept of is great. It looks like a blade but you get more forgiveness. I was excited to hit it but when I did, I thought it was a little too clicky.

>

> Originally, I was going to go with the Callaway Apex. However, I stopped at a Dicks Sporting Goods and hit the Apex and the i210 in a simulator to double check for feel. I changed my mind and went with the i210 and I could not be happier.

>

> It also helped the irons were $400 less, but as far as looks, they look as good as any iron out there and even though they are not forged, they feel great. I hit the Apex about 5 yards farther on average, but the shot dispersion was much better with the i210 (Nippon 105-S shafts).

>

> Not to mention, they are very forgiving. I am noticing my misses are much better. I am coming from Callaway Razr X Tour's, which I bought off ebay years ago, without hitting them, but had some KBS C-Taper shafts put in.

>

> My handicap has gone down about 3 strokes this year and these irons will not be leaving the bag anytime soon. I have been trying different golf balls, as the Bridgestone B-300s is no more. So far, the Taylormade TP5 is looking great, but will want to try others.

> My experience, as well. The I-210s are the real thing. As for a ball, either the ProV1s o the TM are great. The Bridgestone ball is outstanding. Like the irons, it's personal

Maybe theyll come out with a gen 2 version with improved feel? I'm still playing i200s. Tried 'em, but saw no reason to switch to 210s. I hover between 0 and 2 HC and the i200s do everything I need them to do, including bailing me out on poor ballstriking days. I do like the shape, size, offset, and overall profile of the i500s though.

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @jwb10 said:

> > @Rippin6Gears said:

> > > @Konklifer said:

> > > I'm a huge Ping fan, but the i500 is the most overrated iron to come out in a long time. People saw the good looks and jumped on them immediately. Many quickly discovered how hard they felt and how unforgiving they were.

> >

> > Mine don’t feel hard... maybe because I have some special injected speed foam in mine, and they are decently forgiving.

>

> Foam, how and by whom ?

S**** foam injected by myself. I still have a bit left over to do a few sets, but defiantly not as bad on mishits towards the toe. Distance after foam with the “face flexing” I can’t say I have anything to compare too that I see any difference of omg I gained or lost yards, I mean we are talking about 1/2 teaspoon of “liquid” state of foam added so weight can’t say changed much either.

• Like 1

> @Rippin6Gears said:

> > @jwb10 said:

> > > @Rippin6Gears said:

> > > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > I'm a huge Ping fan, but the i500 is the most overrated iron to come out in a long time. People saw the good looks and jumped on them immediately. Many quickly discovered how hard they felt and how unforgiving they were.

> > >

> > > Mine don’t feel hard... maybe because I have some special injected speed foam in mine, and they are decently forgiving.

> >

> > Foam, how and by whom ?

>

> S**** foam injected by myself. I still have a bit left over to do a few sets, but defiantly not as bad on mishits towards the toe. Distance after foam with the “face flexing” I can’t say I have anything to compare too that I see any difference of omg I gained or lost yards, I mean we are talking about 1/2 teaspoon of “liquid” state of foam added so weight can’t say changed much either.

Tell Ping , maybe 2.0 will have foam

• 2 weeks later...

Now nearly at the end of my first season with my i500s and I have to say the results speak for themselves. My index has dropped 4 strokes over the course of the season (not all the result of new clubs, of course) and I now feel much more comfortable with these than I did at the outset.

They just perform. And now I can predict yardages and flight up and down in a way I haven't been able to with previous irons.

Still don't _feel_ all that great, though.

• Like 1

> @jwb10 said:

> Why hit something that feels bad. Congrats on your game improvement, which I’m sure is the product of a lot of hard work, but would it be better with buttery I-210s

Eh

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

> @jwb10 said:

> > @animalgolfs said:

> > > @jwb10 said:

> > > Why hit something that feels bad. Congrats on your game improvement, which I’m sure is the product of a lot of hard work, but would it be better with buttery I-210s

> >

> >

> > Eh

> >

>

> Huh

You just compared buttery feel to i210's & knocked a guy for dropping 4 strokes with the help of i500

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

I bought some i500's 2 weeks ago, just to try them as they do look nice, they lasted a week before i sold them again and went back to my old irons

Couldn't believe the sound of them, its was a bit of a shock, never had such a clicky sounding set of irons, which was a shame as they did look nice for this type of iron

Only way i would play them again would be a 4 and 5 iron bent weak to go with some iblades

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

> @animalgolfs said:

> > @jwb10 said:

> > > @animalgolfs said:

> > > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > Why hit something that feels bad. Congrats on your game improvement, which I’m sure is the product of a lot of hard work, but would it be better with buttery I-210s

> > >

> > >

> > > Eh

> > >

> >

> > Huh

>

> You just compared buttery feel to i210's & knocked a guy for dropping 4 strokes with the help of i500

>

>

No, I was wondering if it would have been more if he liked the feel of his irons

I was fit for my i500's this spring. I chose both the i210's and i500's to be my new sticks. I let the Trackman (outside) tell me what to buy. Yes the i210's did feel a little better (softer) to me but the spin rates were what sold me on the i500's. That is why I bought them and was fit for them with the DG 120 (S300) shaft (blue dot). On my miss hits, the ball still goes far and on target (for me). It might not feel the greatest but that should be the point of the mishit. The instant feedback tells me that my swing sucked and I need to adjust accordingly. I have no complaints on the i500's and I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. For the record, I am a mid handicap player too. I will also say that from UW to about 8 iron, the distances were about the same as my Ping iE's. From 7 iron to 4 iron, I am getting about 5+ yards out of the sticks with standard loft. I play the Snell MTB+ ball too for comparison. Just my two cents and experience.

• 4 weeks later...

> @jwb10 said:

> > @animalgolfs said:

> > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > @animalgolfs said:

> > > > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > Why hit something that feels bad. Congrats on your game improvement, which I’m sure is the product of a lot of hard work, but would it be better with buttery I-210s

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Eh

> > > >

> > >

> > > Huh

> >

> > You just compared buttery feel to i210's & knocked a guy for dropping 4 strokes with the help of i500

> >

> >

> No, I was wondering if it would have been more if he liked the feel of his irons

>

>

If they'd felt better he'd dropped 8 strokes?

Thats like saying the street corner hooker felt good > @bunta said:

> Sorry to open up old wounds, but Ping needs to take a lesson or two on how to make hollow irons from Mizuno. The HMB is quite literally leaps and bounds better than the i500.

Unless that '12 alter universe thing has merit....

Ping was never known for feel

Mizuno has been the king of butter feel

It's not like 90% of us are hitting the sides

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

> @animalgolfs said:

> > @jwb10 said:

> > > @animalgolfs said:

> > > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > @animalgolfs said:

> > > > > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > > Why hit something that feels bad. Congrats on your game improvement, which I’m sure is the product of a lot of hard work, but would it be better with buttery I-210s

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Eh

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Huh

> > >

> > > You just compared buttery feel to i210's & knocked a guy for dropping 4 strokes with the help of i500

> > >

> > >

> > No, I was wondering if it would have been more if he liked the feel of his irons

> >

> >

>

> If they'd felt better he'd dropped 8 strokes?

>

> Thats like saying the street corner hooker felt good > @bunta said:

> > Sorry to open up old wounds, but Ping needs to take a lesson or two on how to make hollow irons from Mizuno. The HMB is quite literally leaps and bounds better than the i500.

>

> Unless that '12 alter universe thing has merit....

>

> Ping was never known for feel

>

> Mizuno has been the king of butter feel

>

> It's not like 90% of us are hitting the sides

animalgolfs, those are good comments.

Who would suggest a club switch - on the basis of subjective feel, no less - to a player who feels he has been helped by the i500 to reduce his handicap from an 8 to a 4? Anybody who suggests such a thing has never played at this level, or he would know better than to be glib about something that is so hard to do. To cut 4 strokes off an 8 in such a short time is one major achievement...! I will guarantee that any player who knocks 4 strokes off an 8 in such a short time is going to love the feel of whatever it is that helped him get there.

As to Bunta’s comment, what are we to make of it? There is nothing specific. “I didn’t like the other one, this one is better, Ping should learn”. Good. Glad to hear it. Learn what? Have no idea what it means, but I am happy that it worked out.

For the first time since I got i500s I played a round yesterday with a fine golfer who plays AP2s. Pretty soon he was asking me about my irons. He didn’t say anything about how bad my irons sound. And he didn’t say “How do they feeeeel?”. What he did do is watch where they went, and he knows my game, and I think that he was very impressed. (And they felt great to me, incidentally - rock solid.)

• Like 1

> @torbill said:

> > @animalgolfs said:

> > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > > @animalgolfs said:

> > > > > > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > > > Why hit something that feels bad. Congrats on your game improvement, which I’m sure is the product of a lot of hard work, but would it be better with buttery I-210s

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Eh

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Huh

> > > >

> > > > You just compared buttery feel to i210's & knocked a guy for dropping 4 strokes with the help of i500

> > > >

> > > >

> > > No, I was wondering if it would have been more if he liked the feel of his irons

> > >

> > >

> >

> > If they'd felt better he'd dropped 8 strokes?

> >

> > Thats like saying the street corner hooker felt good > @bunta said:

> > > Sorry to open up old wounds, but Ping needs to take a lesson or two on how to make hollow irons from Mizuno. The HMB is quite literally leaps and bounds better than the i500.

> >

> > Unless that '12 alter universe thing has merit....

> >

> > Ping was never known for feel

> >

> > Mizuno has been the king of butter feel

> >

> > It's not like 90% of us are hitting the sides

>

> animalgolfs, those are good comments.

>

> Who would suggest a club switch - on the basis of subjective feel, no less - to a player who feels he has been helped by the i500 to reduce his handicap from an 8 to a 4? Anybody who suggests such a thing has never played at this level, or he would know better than to be glib about something that is so hard to do. To cut 4 strokes off an 8 in such a short time is one major achievement...! I will guarantee that any player who knocks 4 strokes off an 8 in such a short time is going to love the feel of whatever it is that helped him get there.

>

> As to Bunta’s comment, what are we to make of it? There is nothing specific. “I didn’t like the other one, this one is better, Ping should learn”. Good. Glad to hear it. Learn what? Have no idea what it means, but I am happy that it worked out.

>

> For the first time since I got i500s I played a round yesterday with a fine golfer who plays AP2s. Pretty soon he was asking me about my irons. He didn’t say anything about how bad my irons sound. And he didn’t say “How do they feeeeel?”. What he did do is watch where they went, and he knows my game, and I think that he was very impressed. (And they felt great to me, incidentally - rock solid.)

Exactly. If you hit them in the middle everything feels good. I played this morning (hooray vacation days) and hit my irons so so pure and I never once thought "oh these feel like garbage".

Feel of these things is very subjective, but like I've previously said, I'm coming from G25s so these feel as good if not better than those. Sure mishits feel bad, but they feel bad with EVERYTHING. My only issue has been that the wind seems to hardly touch these when struck well, so I've been shooting it straight over flags.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Went from 4 to 2 to 5 back to 2. Clearly it's me.

But shot my best rounds ever with these. Something about having a 8i from 170 where that would have been a 6 or hard 7 before that makes the game easier. 210 out for a long par 4 or 5? 4i.

I only carry 1 wood now three wedges. It kind of simplified my game. Do they feel the best? No. They feel really solid and strong when you hit em good, and honestly they aren't really made for those who don't. Still forgive the poor strike but aren't built for bad players. Just aren't. Hope they continue to improve the line, although I might go with BP W-7 then these on up, power spec the BP and keep i500 std, but I like the i500 set. 3-w. Unlike most, I get a set and play them for a few years. I hit these so good while fitting and first round out, I am sold. BPs are tempting but I like what I got. And the 4 I for the BPs, scary. It makes my S55 4i look huge.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

> @animalgolfs said:

> > @jwb10 said:

> > > @animalgolfs said:

> > > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > @animalgolfs said:

> > > > > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > > Why hit something that feels bad. Congrats on your game improvement, which I’m sure is the product of a lot of hard work, but would it be better with buttery I-210s

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Eh

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Huh

> > >

> > > You just compared buttery feel to i210's & knocked a guy for dropping 4 strokes with the help of i500

> > >

> > >

> > No, I was wondering if it would have been more if he liked the feel of his irons

> >

> >

>

> If they'd felt better he'd dropped 8 strokes?

>

> Thats like saying the street corner hooker felt good > @bunta said:

> > Sorry to open up old wounds, but Ping needs to take a lesson or two on how to make hollow irons from Mizuno. The HMB is quite literally leaps and bounds better than the i500.

>

> Unless that '12 alter universe thing has merit....

>

> Ping was never known for feel

>

> Mizuno has been the king of butter feel

>

> It's not like 90% of us are hitting the sides

Yes and yes; 8 is better than 4; and 210s feel super

> @torbill said:

> > @animalgolfs said:

> > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > > @animalgolfs said:

> > > > > > > @jwb10 said:

> > > > > > > Why hit something that feels bad. Congrats on your game improvement, which I’m sure is the product of a lot of hard work, but would it be better with buttery I-210s

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Eh

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Huh

> > > >

> > > > You just compared buttery feel to i210's & knocked a guy for dropping 4 strokes with the help of i500

> > > >

> > > >

> > > No, I was wondering if it would have been more if he liked the feel of his irons

> > >

> > >

> >

> > If they'd felt better he'd dropped 8 strokes?

> >

> > Thats like saying the street corner hooker felt good > @bunta said:

> > > Sorry to open up old wounds, but Ping needs to take a lesson or two on how to make hollow irons from Mizuno. The HMB is quite literally leaps and bounds better than the i500.

> >

> > Unless that '12 alter universe thing has merit....

> >

> > Ping was never known for feel

> >

> > Mizuno has been the king of butter feel

> >

> > It's not like 90% of us are hitting the sides

>

> animalgolfs, those are good comments.

>

> Who would suggest a club switch - on the basis of subjective feel, no less - to a player who feels he has been helped by the i500 to reduce his handicap from an 8 to a 4? Anybody who suggests such a thing has never played at this level, or he would know better than to be glib about something that is so hard to do. To cut 4 strokes off an 8 in such a short time is one major achievement...! I will guarantee that any player who knocks 4 strokes off an 8 in such a short time is going to love the feel of whatever it is that helped him get there.

>

> As to Bunta’s comment, what are we to make of it? There is nothing specific. “I didn’t like the other one, this one is better, Ping should learn”. Good. Glad to hear it. Learn what? Have no idea what it means, but I am happy that it worked out.

>

> For the first time since I got i500s I played a round yesterday with a fine golfer who plays AP2s. Pretty soon he was asking me about my irons. He didn’t say anything about how bad my irons sound. And he didn’t say “How do they feeeeel?”. What he did do is watch where they went, and he knows my game, and I think that he was very impressed. (And they felt great to me, incidentally - rock solid.)

Billy, he said he dropped 4, not 4 off 8. The lack of any feel or feedback in

the 500s is an issue. Glad they work for you but other good players hate em. And if you look above it’s more than a few

Feel is a massive consideration for me, I would say maybe the most important along with consistent distances.

I had a shot of the i500s but they did not feel great to me, they were also very loud. They went very far, but for me that is not important. I don't need to hit my 7 iron 190 yards.

I also tried to i210s, they felt much better - but were not too my liking - they launched very very high with the same shaft.

I do play with Callaway X Forged and MBs, so maybe not a fair comparison.

I don't know if the actual specs have been discussed in this thread, don't feel like reading 7 pages to find out because it seems like a lot of inflammatory trolling by the OP, but the i500's have a VERY high CG for a modern iron. This could explain both the "flyers" that are actually a product of striking the real sweet spot (which is higher than normal) as well as some of the feel issues (frequently striking "low"). Just a thought!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Could be on to something there. I find when I tee it up or when it's sitting up I can catch flyers. Not really that abnormal.

So I just play for that. They feel fine to me coming from S55. I like the feel when hit good. When not its not great. I'd also say that they sound like shht with range balls. We don't even have really crappy ones. With a prov1. Money. Feel great sound great. Different? Sure. Bad? Not in my mind.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

> @Valtiel said:

> I don't know if the actual specs have been discussed in this thread, don't feel like reading 7 pages to find out because it seems like a lot of inflammatory trolling by the OP, but the i500's have a VERY high CG for a modern iron. This could explain both the "flyers" that are actually a product of striking the real sweet spot (which is higher than normal) as well as some of the feel issues (frequently striking "low"). Just a thought!

There was a discussion about" VCog" and this iron, which was interesting and appeared to line up with your observations