2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Most embarrassing round ever.

Matt06

So I was invited to play with a guy I know at my club yesterday. Since I was new to the club and didn't know many people I thought this would be great. Well little did I know that they were all somewhere between +2 and 2 handicap and I go out and shoot a nice 95 after I told my buddy I normally shoot 80-85. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like I completely embarrassed myself and wouldnt get another invite. Sorry for the long post but I needed to get if off my chest.

If you play ready golf and arent causing a hold up im sure you were fine.

Scratch players know there arent many of them out there and frequently play with friends and others who are way worse than them.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Last Thursday might of been my most embarrassing in a long time. Actually my last 3 rounds. I had surgery for a detached retina about 5 weeks ago and I just started playing again. My vision is still messed up in the eye I had surgery. I’m wearing glasses ( which are tri vocals ) instead of contacts like I usually do. It seems every shot I hit is either thin or fat. I’ve topped more drivers in the last three rounds than the last few years. I have trouble reading greens and if I hit the ball over 150 yards my playing partners have to take me to where where my ball landed. I thought I would struggle some but this is crazy. My swing feels the same but I just can’t make solid contact at all.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

If you think this is a long post you should read some of the other ones, haha. You're post is a nice easily readable length.

As far as your experience, I can say I've had similarish experiences. Maybe you did embarrass yourself a little bit but if this guy is truly a +2 and a 2, I'm sure he knows what teen handicap golf is like. Just because we normally shoot in the mid to low 80's doesn't mean we don't have days where we melt down and shoot in the 90's.

If he is completely opposed to playing with you again, simply because you had a bad round, I don't know if he's worth playing with anyways. As long as you handled yourself well in the situation and own up to what happened, I'm sure he'd give it another chance. Maybe make sure you're back to shooting your normal score first though, haha. ;)

• Like 1

Played with heaps of scratch and below players, 90 percent were great guys,especially if you really love golf. I dont bug them during a round,just general banter like (did u throw that one in) when they hole out,stuff like that. Most dont care how you play,they are more interested to have an enjoyable round and an enjoyable company. Most will give you tips if they see you struggling ive found.

Most golfers only want a few things from people they are playing with:

* Keeping up with pace of play.

* Not distracting them.

Other than that be polite and do your thing. Very few golfers care what you are doing as long as you're not breaking the above rules. Any low 'capper who objects to being seen with a high 'capper is not someone you want to spend time with anyway. Thankfully they are a very rare breed - possibly because they realise that it alienates other golfers.

> @andrue said:

> Most golfers only want a few things from people they are playing with:

> * Keeping up with pace of play.

> * Not distracting them.

>

> Other than that be polite and do your thing. Very few golfers care what you are doing as long as you're not breaking the above rules. Any low 'capper who objects to being seen with a high 'capper is not someone you want to spend time with anyway. Thankfully they are a very rare breed - possibly because they realise that it alienates other golfers.

I think this is spot on. I am not scratch by any means as we are all around an 8. But there is a friend of my buddies who plays with us every once in a while and if he were to keep score would easily shoot 100+. But he doesn't make excuses, doesn't claim to be better than he is, doesn't throw clubs and when needed just picks his ball up to keep pace. Doesn't bother any of us when he plays and is welcome anytime.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Exactly. Generally, People (golfers or not) only think about themselves. So I try not to think about what others think, they usually don't.

> @andrue said:

> Most golfers only want a few things from people they are playing with:

> * Keeping up with pace of play.

> * Not distracting them.

>

> Other than that be polite and do your thing. Very few golfers care what you are doing as long as you're not breaking the above rules. Any low 'capper who objects to being seen with a high 'capper is not someone you want to spend time with anyway. Thankfully they are a very rare breed - possibly because they realise that it alienates other golfers.

I was a sub in a league I’ve been interested in joining.

Gave the organizer some recent score cards from the course to get me a handicap for the league. It’s a par 34 9 hole course, handed in a 39, and 2 40’s.

I get the call, playing with complete strangers, and top my first t shot. Promptly card 8’s on the first 2 holes.

The guy I’m playing looks at me on the 3rd t box and says “you are giving me strokes?” I was completely out of sorts. Card a few doubles, wanted to walk off the course.

Finally got my shit together and pared the last 3 holes, but man was I embarrassed when I handed my card in.

It happens to the best of us. My final year of division 1 golf in our Conference championship, after tons of intense practice and feeling great about my game, I went out and shot an 89 while being around a +1 hdcp at the time. It was my first score in the 80s for the entire year and the most important round of my career. The most defeated I have ever been after a round.

Turned it around and shot a bogey free 2 under the final round to end my college career. So good news is most people bounce back and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Well I just shot over 80 two days in a row in the club C this weekend after my best summer ever .. I was the heavy favourite

Crazy thing is I tore about another club over two days to help win the interclub champinships (in a playoff even) 2 days prior

Golf is ebbs and flows

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> If you play ready golf and arent causing a hold up im sure you were fine.

>

> Scratch players know there arent many of them out there and frequently play with friends and others who are way worse than them.

I've been on both sides as a single digit capper that just had kids. I have a lot of family thats in the 90s and I love playing with them because it's the company on the course. Other days, I get paired with some shooters and I'll blow up into the 90s myself because I just don't get the time in at the course/range anymore. S'all good.

My most embarrassing round was probably one many years ago in my early 20s in which I was invited by my boss at a new job to play a difficult top 100 private course he was a member of, on about 2 hours notice when I arrived to work that day. I had to stop at a store on the way to the course to buy a golf shirt. I had previously told him I shot in the "low 80s" which was true on the easy muni courses I played at the time. I was so nervous that I ended up shooting about a 115, which included two or three holes on which I was only advancing the ball about 25 yards at a time. It got to the point that the caddie was suggesting I just hit a 7 iron on basically every shot over 100 yards since it was the only club I was getting the ball in the air with. I finished 18 with only one golf ball left. I was able to avoid any display of anger, but was so nervous and embarrassed by my play that I was ready to cry.

I never mind playing with higher caps if they follow the rules and behave well. The one thing newer golfer have the tendency to do is hit a bad shot and then drop a ball and do it again and end up chasing two balls all over the place, that I cannot stand. Be polite, keep up with the pace, and play your game.

Back in 1998 I played with three of my good friends, my golfing buddies when I lived in Delaware between 1989-1992. It was the groomsman gift of one of my buddies. We played Hartefeld National Golf Club in Avondale, PA. I was married to the "anti-golf" was playing less and less golf each year. My game was a far cry from the scratch handicap I had maintained playing with my golfing buddies just a few years before. That said, I wanted to show them I could still play but put too much pressure on myself. Playing a Tom Fazio course, near the tips wasn't a great fit for me. I don't remember my exact score but it was in the mid 90s. Everyone else was in the high 70s to low 80s. It was horrible. A couple of my buddies I'm still close to still bring that up to harass me. Good thing I play closer to the early 90s now than back in 1998. Of course I am no longer married to the "anti-golf" and upgraded to a great wife who encourages me to play. B)

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Not an embarrassing round but my most embarrassing hole happened just last month. A busy course that takes tee times from singles online. They usually pair you with a two-some or three-some in the same tee time slot to fill it out. They had paired me with a two-some that although they kept calling over and over no one showed up on the tee box. Finally the starter just told me to go ahead. A five-some was already gathering behind the tee box for the tee-time after mine. Why they allow five-some's I have no idea. The first hole is flat and wide and pretty much the tee box, the practice green, and the clubhouse can watch the play all the way up through the green.

I'm like you, shoot in the low to mid 80's most of the time. I usually tee off with a hybrid the first hole until I know what kind of swing I have going that day. I played from the blues because I'd been hitting really solid this summer. I tee'd off and skulled it about two feet off the ground, but it got lots of roll right up the middle. As I jump in my cart one of the five-some with a little attitude in his voice asks me what my handicap is? Thought that was a strange question until I realized he was implying I shouldn't be playing the blue's based on that tee shot. Kind of pissed me off a little bit and I was ready to show them how I par this hole routinely with my hybrid strategy. My second shot was an 8 iron away but I hit a bladed worm burner to the right of the green twenty yards into this long straw like grass. Take a big hack out of that into the sand trap. Then I'm so flustered I blade the shot out of the trap 20 yards over the green.

By the time I finished the hole the fives-some was standing out in the fairway waiting for me to get the heck off the green. Yes sir, as a single I was actually slowing up a five-some. Not my proudest hole to say the least.

i love all the similar stories from fellow golfers in here. i hope it has helped ease the pain from a tough round. i wanted to echo what all the others have said. as long as you were trying and being a good sport and keeping up with the pace it doesnt matter what you shot. i generally think its all about being guys you enjoy spending time with regardless of their level of play.

I never understood the flustered thing. We've all poo'd a first hole away due to jitters but for it to ruin your entire round is silly IMO. I'm no great player by any means but if you have confidence and keep working on making contact it will come. I've had some absolutely atrocious blow up rounds (Sawgrass as an example where I shot over 100 for sure and I was shooting in the high 70s/low 80s that summer) but there were some moments of good ball striking where I had a few par runs or so.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I was playing in an event and was in the last group. So as I was coming up #18, all the other players were standing on the hillside watching our group come up the fairway. I had a wedge in my hand for my second shot into a short par 4 and proceeded to sh*** my ball into the crowd of my competitors (50-60 players). I've never felt so embarrassed in my life. I then proceeded to duff my chip shot and three putt when I got on the green......walked off with a closing triple bogey. But you haven't played enough golf if you haven't had something like that happen to you.

I won the A flight (5-9 handicap) in a local amateur tour back around 2010ish. My typical scores (at a different course every week) ranged from 73-77. I qualified for and went to the Mational Championship in Hilton Head. On the range the day I got there and the morning of round 1, you would have thought I was scratch. I was absolutely striping the ball, everything flush and going exactly where I was looking. Started with a smoked drive down the fairway, second shot to about 8’ and a 2 putt par. Second hole was a par 3, hit it to a foot for a kick in birdie. Next hole tee shot in the water, dropped and shanked it in a bush, dropped and Skilled it up to the deep rough left of the green, chin led the chip and picked up for a triple (max score for our flight). Proceeded to shoot a smooth 96 in round 1. Followed it up with an 88 in round 2 finishing 145 out of 156, including the 7 people that withdrew. A smooth 4 places out of DFL.