How do you know when you've found "the putter"?

tgoodspe1991

So I've been testing tons of different putters over the last month, both in-store and on the practice green. I find there are certainly a couple models that I don't like the look of or that I don't roll as well, but there's also a ton of various putters that I roll well and make a bunch of putts with. I've gotten to the point where I really don't know what "fits" me best because it feels like I can make plenty of putts with all of them...

So my question to you guys is, how do you know when you've found "the one" in your putter? How do you trial and error to see what putter shape/style/neck fits you best? To those guys who always play the same specific model or shape of putter, how do you know that's best for you?

I made it myself. Makes it hard to put it aside.

fa58j46769mm.jpg

qh822ptqssqd.jpg

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I always look for a putter that is pleasing to my eye. This involves head shape and neck style and position of the neck. I also trust my experience with putter styles. I've putted with nearly every type of putter design from a true blade style (8802 or Bullseye) to heel/toe balanced blades to mallet type and or larger bodied putters. I've putted with pretty much every style of neck design from plumbers neck/flow neck/shaft in putter. I've putted with center shafted putters to the 8802 type neck position. Personally I love the 8802 style putter and would love to game this. Once upon a time I was very good with this style but I am older and realize I no longer possess the skill to use this style. I also know my stroke is a gate stroke so a mallet design doesn't work best for me. While an Anser style blade works well, the Ping Zing style blade is what has produced the best results for me in terms of look, feel and putter path repeatability.

I guess my understanding of what is pleasing to my eye and the type of stroke I putt with leads me to the style. All I had to do is find the "Zing" style I loved and one I could get the type of neck welded to it. I found that style from Byron Morgan with the Epic Day with long pipe flow neck. When I set this putter down to make the stroke I never think about the putter or shape. All I concentrate on is making a good stroke through my ball alignment mark aligned with my immediate target some feature on the green just in front of the ball. The putters that lack this comfort always had me thinking about something about the putter (shape, ball alignment to the face or body, shape of the neck, something). A putter I consider "the one" takes any doubt about the putter itself out also I can only focus on putting.

w3gdoseeljr4.jpeg

170bvmpuwozm.jpeg

hzpqd29rrzdv.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I think I've found "the putter" a few times. I thought I had it with the Scotty Futura X7M 38", but I was forced to throw it to the curb with the Ping Valor. Now that I've got it in a fixed length, it's money. Can't imagine using anything else....at least until next year.

It's about looks most of the time. This time it was just making putt after putt on the practice green that changed my mind 'cause it is a little ugly. I was just rolling the ball so well, I had to put it in play. Still love the anser style putters, but right now I'm putting better with a mallet.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

It’s the one with the least loft in the bag. Very different head-shape compared to irons and woods. ?

Seriously though, I rotate between 4-5 putters, so there’s no “the putter” in my arsenal. At least I settled on all CS putters this year. Flow necks also work well for me, face-balanced vs toe hang is a non-issue. Basically if a putter sits square, feels well-balanced, not too firm or plasticky, starts on line, and gets rolling near enough right away, it makes the rota. If I don’t use it in a year, I move on. If somehow I ever had an 18-putt round, I’d figure all the luck was used up and sell the putter within a week.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

If you have to ask, then you haven't found it. Hahaha

For me, it happens quickly. The look fits with what I want to see at that moment. The first few strokes require no manipulation; it just flows. And finally, the ball comes off on the line I want at the speed I'm expecting. If any of that is off, I know in the first couple of putts.

The thing is, it can all change. Sometimes another putter fits your eye better. Sometimes your stroke has changed in subtle ways and a new one fits better. Sometimes you made a ball change and the feel of the new ball and old putter isn't right. Just because you found "the putter" doesn't mean it will stay "the putter."

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I’m a long-time putter collector (::coughhocough::), but that all came to an end when a friend suggested I go to see a local fitter who walked me through a fitting for Edel. Opened my eyes to a lot of things (figuratively and literally), but it’s no longer a question of what I’m doing or if I’ve found the right one”

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Tensei 1K Black 75X)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Srixon Z-Star Diamond '23

Has to feel good on the take-back for me. The look of a putter always helps or hurts that for me - I prefer a simple, naked scotty cameron Newport. I've hit a ton of putters in my time and I believe the best out there for feel are SC, Bettinardi, Kenny Giannini, and for an insert I prefer the TM line. You've found the one when you make the most putts with it, your distance control is better, and you have confidence and make the 3-5 footers with it. I believe you can't switch putters all the time and expect to be consistent, dial one in and stick with it!

Buy 5 Classic Putter Designs.

Take em home and rotate them.

Ping Anser

Ping B60

Odyssie Rossie 11

Scottie tei3

Scottie Newport 2

Which is an Anser

Also Ping Zing 2

Also a seemore

That should last a year.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

> @collindm1 said:

> Has to feel good on the take-back for me.

This. If it feels balanced on the take back then that is the key. IMO if it doesn’t it’s a non-starter as to putt well you need confidence. But this isn’t just to do with balance on the face, it’s also the grip.

The other two main criteria are are a nice feel off the face, and of course the ability to start it on line. The amount of toe-hang makes not a scrap of difference with my swing, I have the full spectrum from face-balanced to 6:00. In addition weight or swingweight doesn’t seem to be an issue with me, mine range from 550g to 639g total weight. It’s all about balance.

I’m sure I have the right putter here, FWIW 3 of these grips are being changed, a Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite is going on the Toulon, the 35” will become a 34” and the Garsen on the Piretti on the far right is being changed for a Piretti Fat Grip as the current one is too small and feels alien. I use these in rotation and all work very similarly, so my preference is milled, no insert, simple. I have sold all the putters that don’t fit this description.

0n7z7z4t4b1k.jpeg

• Like 1

It has to look good.

It has to feel good.

It's a plus if it rocks from heel to toe without falling open or closed. (I know, weird. But it's a test I've used for years. If if falls over during this test, it will fall over during the stroke.)

Lastly, if I make a few putts a round that I have no business making, it's a keeper.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Taylormade 11' Rescue 21º and 23.5º (Aldila RIP TP S)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

I'm thinking it might be my Edel E-3, I mean the thing is built for me. I also had it refitted this past weekend by Dave Edel himself so I'll see how it rolls after the changes he made and offered for me technically. If not well I'll still use it until I find something else.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

The newest one is always "the one". Until the next one comes along.

Took me awhile to define what I liked / didn't like about a putter...Insert or no insert / shaft type / head type / length / grip.

Most important to me was how it looked to my eye...you don't want to look down and think 'meh'.

Once I narrowed down thru trial and error, I was fitted for my preferred putter. Was cut and bent to optimize for me. Had it for a long time now. No thoughts of ditching it. Overall I have very few bad patches of time with it...maybe if I putted poorly with it for a few months in a row - I would have ditched it at some point.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

> @monkeyboy said:

> The newest one is always "the one". Until the next one comes along.

> Took me awhile to define what I liked / didn't like about a putter...Insert or no insert / shaft type / head type / length / grip.

> Most important to me was how it looked to my eye...you don't want to look down and think 'meh'.

> Once I narrowed down thru trial and error, I was fitted for my preferred putter. Was cut and bent to optimize for me. Had it for a long time now. No thoughts of ditching it. Overall I have very few bad patches of time with it...maybe if I putted poorly with it for a few months in a row - I would have ditched it at some point.

True. This is very true. There are a few i always keep...but in always down for something new on the side.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I was back at the golf shop today rolling putters, and it seems like I roll a whole range of putters with the line going end-over-end. No real pattern to it. Mallets, anser, blade, big, small, I can get them all rolling okay. Maybe that means I just need to find the one I aim the best where I actually think I'm aiming. If I can get them all rolling well, then the one I am the best is probably "the one" right?

> @Medson said:

> I assume getting fitted will do the trick.

>

> I've been pretty lazy so I stick with one go-to putter although I still collect a ton.

You'd think so...but likely not. Think of how many people here get fit for clubs, yet the BST remains full.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

> @"Double Dodger" said:

> There is only one way to really know. You will know when the same putter has been in your bag for about 5 years. Then you will really know.....

Nothing has been in my golf bag for 5 years, not even the same golf bag itself haha

> @Medson said:

> I assume getting fitted will do the trick.

>

> I've been pretty lazy so I stick with one go-to putter although I still collect a ton.

I've done a putter fitting twice now and neither was all that beneficial. One was at a Club Champion and the other a smaller competitor that I'm forgetting the name of now. Honestly, neither fitter seemed all that competent. One was a kid younger than me who knew less about golf equipment than I do (no offense). All he did was hand me different putter after different putter and in the end said "yeah, not sure how to help you."

Basically, what each fitting showed was that regardless of putter I was opening and closing the putter about ~2* back and through. Typically I would aim .5-1* open at address and return the putter exactly .5-1* open. Both times, because of my low face rotation, the machine said I should play a face-balanced mallet even though I was getting pretty much the same results regardless of toe hang used.

I suppose that means I just need to find a putter I aim 0* straight instead of that 1* open? lol

I personally don't think the one "right" putter even exists. There are probably dozens of models that could fit your stroke and tendencies. You make it the "right one" by committing to playing and practicing with it for a long period of time.

In other words, stop blaming the hunk of metal on a stick, and get to the practice green on a regular basis. Doing that, your relationship with the putter will grow over time and eventually it will become the "one" for you.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I putted with the same Bullseye for 15 plus years pretty much all the time. I had a original B60 as a back up. I literally would take both out the the course, especially if it was a tournament. If I wasn't feeling good on the practice green with my Bullseye, I pulled out the B60 and magically it almost always would seem better. But that was maybe 10-15% of the time. Then about 20 years ago, I just lost the feel with the Bullseye, and I screwed up my B60 by cutting it down (I had always choked down about an inch with it, I wanted it regripped and told the guy to chop off that extra inch, never felt the same again despite lead tape/etc.)

I have been searching ever since. Had some success with a couple of belly putters, but knew they were going to be outlawed. I have an older Cleveland BRZ 2 model that has been sort of my go to when nothing else seems to work the last several years, but I can be hot and cold with it, but have has some streaks of solid putting with it over the past few years. This spring I thought I and "found the one" when I pulled out an old Never Compromise slant neck I had sitting around and started putting really well for several months. Then we punched our greens, and from that day forward I couldn't putt worth a damn with it, it made no sense. All I can say is I think I have come to the conclusion now I need a heel shafted putter, or at least one with some toe hang (but I have also tried a 2 ball which seems pretty good, about the only face balanced one I seem to be able to work with), and after switching to cross handed last year I have gotten some consistency back. Latest experiment is a slant neck spider X. This weekend will be its first test on the course, maybe it is "the one".

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I feel your pain OP. What I have come to realize is it is all about looks and feel and if the club is flowing freely during release. I recently had a face balanced mallet with a large grip and it made me feel like my stroke was forced to be too mechanical. Thinking too much instead of a feeling. Whatever shape gives you that feeling that the putter is flowing freely. For me it was a change in the style of neck and head shape with a smaller grip. Good luck!

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Searching…  

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

So your asking when you found love for the first time.... oh putters, yeah, so, I recommend serial dating about 25-40 putters until you learn what you are looking for in a putter. The more details you find you like the better. Just remember, you probably need to learn your loft and lie and have them adjusted, to give them a chance to work well for you.