pin position in unplayable spot on green

emo

Tough league. You guys don’t use esc ? As in max double bogey ( usually ) for most players ? You can’t put a 14 into a handicap score post by the way.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The great news is you were in a competition and everyone had the same pin location. if you took 14 and every one else took 20 you would be a great shape!

As for options you have: there is Sweet Fudge All you can do about it. Bitch about the placement so you don't see it again but as for any retroactive action for you score - sorry. ESC will take of posting anyway.

Bad placements happen like this in the Pro events too. Typically the issue is the pin placement is decided on and then the greens speed up for various reasons. An experienced pin setter does not (usually) make this mistake, but it does happen.

It may have been an unplayable spot to the OP but not to others or me. Everyone on the course faces the same conditions.

Yesterday, walking off 18 my playing partner said the course was difficult. I listened and said nothing because I finished 2 over par and didn't see it as that difficult. One 205 yard Par 3 the pin was on a slanted portion of the green. To make birdie or par we had to be under the pin. He missed the green short and left, pitched up to the high side and putted downhill 6' past and missed that putt too, took a 5. I hit 3 iron on to the green finished under the pin, putted up to the pin for a tap in par.

My score at 18 is the number that reflects how well I did handling the challenges. My thoughts then are the same as it is the rest of the time, just do my best, and not blame the course setup for my failure to rise to the challenge.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I've seen pin positions where a straight uphill putt would not come to rest within 2 or 3 feet of the hole, it would just roll back 10 or 15 feet or more. That is unfair, in my opinion. But you have to play it, as does everyone else in the competition. This kind of pin position does raise hell with the pace of play on that hole.

• Like 1

There are tough pins and then there are chicken shat pins. This sounds like the latter. If an uphill putt won’t stop by the hole it shouldn’t be there.

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Had this happen once, the green was still nearly bare from a long snowy winter. The grass past the hole was actually a bit longer/grown in, so you basically had to putt past the hole and leave yourself a down hill tester. One guy 5-putted from 20ft and tossed the pin into the woods lol.

After this episode I looked it up, unfortunately there are no hard rules or regulations that dictate pin placement

There are only recommendations for pin placements but nothing says you can put it somewhere or even something that prevents you from literally placing windmills on the greens.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @Krt22 said:

> Had this happen once, the green was still nearly bare from a long snowy winter. The grass past the hole was actually a bit longer/grown in, so you basically had to putt past the hole and leave yourself a down hill tester. One guy 5-putted from 20ft and tossed the pin into the woods lol.

>

> After this episode I looked it up, unfortunately there are no hard rules or regulations that dictate pin placement

Correct, no rules. Just recommendations based on slope% the hole is cut on; and green speed (speed can change what slopes are allowable/not allowable).

No definitive info from OP so hard to tell

I've seen this before. The course I grew up close to had their club championship and I happened to play it later that afternoon. I was just short of the green to a front pin and chipped it dead even with the hole and a few feet to the right and it rolled back to my feet. Left the next chip just below the hole and back at my feet it came again. I had to put it just beyond the pin and was terrified of the next putt.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Technically, there are no USGA rules regarding pin placement, but they are pretty clear in their recommendations at https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=143&Rule=16

> An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade. In no case should holes be located in tricky places, or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed. A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole.

We had this same thing in a club championship. It was a perfect storm of the guy choosing the toughest location on the green, plus they let the green dry out for the CC, plus the wind was strong and straight down hill from that corner of the green. I 6-putted and did well to get out of there with that. The first 4 putts rolled 30 feet up to within a tap-in, then back down to my feet. The fifth one got 18 inches above the hole and miraculously stayed there.

The sixth putt was terrifying. :o

It ruined the tournament for many of us. So OP, I feel your pain. Basically this is a learning experience for whoever picked that location.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

> @YoungJedi said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Had this happen once, the green was still nearly bare from a long snowy winter. The grass past the hole was actually a bit longer/grown in, so you basically had to putt past the hole and leave yourself a down hill tester. One guy 5-putted from 20ft and tossed the pin into the woods lol.

> >

> > After this episode I looked it up, unfortunately there are no hard rules or regulations that dictate pin placement

>

> Correct, no rules. Just recommendations based on slope% the hole is cut on; and green speed (speed can change what slopes are allowable/not allowable).

>

> No definitive info from OP so hard to tell

If you followed all the recommendations, many greens wouldn't have any where to put a hole. For instance the recommend an area of 2'-3' around the hole be nearly flat.

Q. What are the requirements for establishing a hole location on the putting green?

A. The USGA frequently receives requests for guidelines with respect to selection of hole locations on the putting greens, particularly during competitions. There are no rules regarding hole locations, so there is no such thing as an "illegal" hole location. The USGA believes that many factors affect selection of hole locations. The first and most important is good judgment in deciding what will give fair results. Do not be tricky in locating holes. Following are specific points:

Study the design of the hole as the architect intended it to be played. Know the length of the shot to the green and how it may be affected by the probable conditions for the day - that is, wind and other weather elements, conditions of the turf from which the shot will be played, and holding quality of the green.

1. There must be enough putting green surface between the hole and the front and the sides of the green to accommodate the required shot. For example, if the hole requires a long iron or wood shot to the green, the hole should be located deeper in the green and further from its sides than should be the case if the hole requires a short pitch shot. In any case, it is recommended that generally the hole be located at least four paces from any edge of the green. If a bunker is close to the edge, or if the ground slopes away from the edge, the distance should be greater, especially if the shot is more than a pitch. Consideration should be given to fair opportunity for recovery after a reasonably good shot that just misses the green.

2. An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade. In no case should holes be located in tricky places, or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed. A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole.

3. Consider the condition of nearby turf, especially taking care to avoid old hole plugs which have not completely healed.

4. Holes should be cut as nearly on the vertical as possible, not plumb with the contour of the green.

5. There should be a balanced selection of hole locations for the entire course with respect to left, right, central, front and back positions. For example, avoid too many left positions with resulting premium on drawn or hooked shots.

6. For a competition played over several days, the course should be kept in balance daily as to degree of difficulty. In a stroke competition, the first hole of the first round is as important as the last hole of the last round, and so the course should not be set up appreciably more difficult for any round - balanced treatment is the aim. An old concept of making the course progressively harder round after round is fallacious. One form of balanced daily treatment is to select six quite difficult, six which are moderately difficult and six which are relatively easy.

7. During practice days before a competition, locate holes in areas not to be used during the competition and which will not result in areas to be used being impaired by foot traffic.

8. Anticipate the players' traffic patterns. Locate holes for early rounds so that good hole locations for later rounds will not be spoiled by players leaving the green.

9. In match play, a hole location may, if necessary, be changed during a round provided the players in each match play with the hole in the same location. In stroke play, Rule 33-2b requires that all competitors in a single round play with each hole cut in the same position, but see Exception to that Rule. When 36 holes are played in one day, it is not customary for hole locations to be changed between rounds, but there is no Rule to prohibit changing them. If they are changed, all players should be informed.

10. The greenkeeper who cuts the holes should make sure that the Rules of Golf are observed, especially the requirements that the hole not exceed 4 ¼ inches in outer diameter and that the hole-liner be sunk at least one inch below the putting green surface.

We see posts like this somewhat frequently, and while not exactly a “balanced” hole location as stated by the USGA above, it’s not illegal because technically there is no illegal hole location. Which brings up an interesting point though. Should there be actual rules that rated courses need to follow as far as where holes can and can’t be located?

Outside of the “Greenskeepers Revenge” style tournaments where the aforementioned hole would barely scratch the surface, should hole locations be regulated in the same way that equipment and the Rules of Golf are?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

> @Shipwreck said:

> We see posts like this somewhat frequently, and while not exactly a “balanced” hole location as stated by the USGA above, it’s not illegal because technically there is no illegal hole location. Which brings up an interesting point though. Should there be actual rules that rated courses need to follow as far as where holes can and can’t be located?

>

> Outside of the “Greenskeepers Revenge” style tournaments where the aforementioned hole would barely scratch the surface, should hole locations be regulated in the same way that equipment and the Rules of Golf are?

I say no. Every green/hole is so different it would be too challenging to impose a standard hole placement. Golfers do a great job of policing this themselves in this instance. Greenskeepers hear it very fast when they screw up a hole location and as result seldom allow this to happen.

Like I say, though this happens, it happens on one hole once every few years at most clubs. The odds of it occurring are like 1 in 13000. If it happens more often course put a stop as golfers complain.

> @2bGood said:

> > @Shipwreck said:

> > We see posts like this somewhat frequently, and while not exactly a “balanced” hole location as stated by the USGA above, it’s not illegal because technically there is no illegal hole location. Which brings up an interesting point though. Should there be actual rules that rated courses need to follow as far as where holes can and can’t be located?

> >

> > Outside of the “Greenskeepers Revenge” style tournaments where the aforementioned hole would barely scratch the surface, should hole locations be regulated in the same way that equipment and the Rules of Golf are?

>

> I say no. Every green/hole is so different it would be too challenging to impose a standard hole placement. Golfers do a great job of policing this themselves in this instance. Greenskeepers hear it very fast when they screw up a hole location and as result seldom allow this to happen.

>

> Like I say, though this happens, it happens on one hole once every few years at most clubs. The odds of it occurring are like 1 in 13000. If it happens more often course put a stop as golfers complain.

I talked about this once with a playing partner after the course had some pretty tough pin locations, he mentioned at some courses now the greens keeper doesn't even pick the pins, it's done via software such that the entire green get's equal foot traffic to minimize overuse of any one part