Who can hit a Gary Woodland-like stinger here?

hoselpalooza

It's tough to get a sense of the stinger in your video. Couldn't figure it out and then Bam! The badassness of this shot would be much stronger wearing something more along these lines...

j15g3b6n5nhd.png

> @hoselpalooza said:

> @CaddiesFault, this is such a sick shot. would definitely recommend others try. here's a scuzzy* video of me trying this at the range:

>

>

>

> *scuzzy weather, scuzzy range balls, scuzzy resolution and scuzzy video editing :D

> @hoselpalooza said:

> @CaddiesFault, this is such a sick shot. would definitely recommend others try. here's a scuzzy* video of me trying this at the range:

>

>

>

> *scuzzy weather, scuzzy range balls, scuzzy resolution and scuzzy video editing :D

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> I have a pretty good one. Secret is to fight every instinct you have. Ball back, hit down, exaggerate deloft. Those all spell trouble.

> I show people at my schools the “easier” way to do it and they are shocked how low the ball comes out.

The setup was eye opening

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

\> @sailfishchris said:

> > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > I have a pretty good one. Secret is to fight every instinct you have. Ball back, hit down, exaggerate deloft. Those all spell trouble.

> > I show people at my schools the “easier” way to do it and they are shocked how low the ball comes out.

> The setup was eye opening

That setup usually gets a response like, “Really? How am I going to hit it low like this?”

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @oikos1 said:

> It's tough to get a sense of the stinger in your video. Couldn't figure it out and then Bam! The badassness of this shot would be much stronger wearing something more along these lines...

>

> j15g3b6n5nhd.png

> > @hoselpalooza said:

> > @CaddiesFault, this is such a sick shot. would definitely recommend others try. here's a scuzzy* video of me trying this at the range:

> >

> >

> >

> > *scuzzy weather, scuzzy range balls, scuzzy resolution and scuzzy video editing :D

>

> > @hoselpalooza said:

> > @CaddiesFault, this is such a sick shot. would definitely recommend others try. here's a scuzzy* video of me trying this at the range:

> >

> >

> >

> > *scuzzy weather, scuzzy range balls, scuzzy resolution and scuzzy video editing :D

>

>

rockin' that carmen sandiego vibe!

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> \> @sailfishchris said:

> > > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > > I have a pretty good one. Secret is to fight every instinct you have. Ball back, hit down, exaggerate deloft. Those all spell trouble.

> > > I show people at my schools the “easier” way to do it and they are shocked how low the ball comes out.

> > The setup was eye opening

>

> That setup usually gets a response like, “Really? How am I going to hit it low like this?”

>

>

>

Am i missing something? Did you post it somewhere?

Different ways to hit this shot. Woodland is swinging 106 mph, 160 ball speed and launching it -1*. Basically a full swing with very low dynamic loft while maintaining a relatively shallow aoa. He is turning it down a ton. That's the biggest thing for me. When you see guys like Woodland and Tiger hit this shot, they aren't playing the ball way back or holding it off and bunting it. Both of those are ways to hit a low shot, but not great if you want to use it off the tee on a par 4 and have it go a reasonable distance.

I don't really have a stinger in my bag (yet) because of swing issues, flipping and adding loft. I have managed to flight a few pretty low on the range with the 2i but nothing I attempt on the course because the setup changes required make me uncomfortable and thus I don't trust it.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @Shipwreck said:

> > I’ve got an amazing stinger. But there are some problems with it:

> > - It’s with my 60*

> > - It’s when I’m trying to hit a delicate shot

> > - It’s a fairway finder.....in another fairway....on another course potentially

>

> I got that shot in the bag, I sometimes use it out of bunkers as well, in which case I call it the ankle bitter

I had this shot perfected for awhile this summer! Just casually thinning all kinds of wedge shots (full swings, pitches, even chips!) over the green.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @MPStrat said:

> Different ways to hit this shot. Woodland is swinging 106 mph, 160 ball speed and launching it -1*. Basically a full swing with very low dynamic loft while maintaining a relatively shallow aoa. He is turning it down a ton. That's the biggest thing for me. When you see guys like Woodland and Tiger hit this shot, they aren't playing the ball way back or holding it off and bunting it. Both of those are ways to hit a low shot, but not great if you want to use it off the tee on a par 4 and have it go a reasonable distance.

you weren't kidding about not playing the ball way back. for anyone who wants to see this in action, skip to 2:12 if the video doesn't start there:

> He is turning it down a ton.

^ @MPStrat, what do you mean by this?

I got one, but it goes about 1/2 the distance of Woodlands..............

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I use my 17 degree hybrid. We have a couple really elevated tee boxes and I can hit it 10-20' off the ground and it just runs like crazy and goes 220-250 depending on which box I hit it off of. Absolute fairway finder and a huge reason my handicap has dropped so much this year. I do play it back a little, aim down the left side of the fairway and come in from the inside and super shallow. Short backswing with maximum effort. I get asked about that shot more than anything else lol. Doubt I do it "right" but it works incredibly well.

> @hoselpalooza said:

> > @MPStrat said:

> > Different ways to hit this shot. Woodland is swinging 106 mph, 160 ball speed and launching it -1*. Basically a full swing with very low dynamic loft while maintaining a relatively shallow aoa. He is turning it down a ton. That's the biggest thing for me. When you see guys like Woodland and Tiger hit this shot, they aren't playing the ball way back or holding it off and bunting it. Both of those are ways to hit a low shot, but not great if you want to use it off the tee on a par 4 and have it go a reasonable distance.

>

> you weren't kidding about not playing the ball way back. for anyone who wants to see this in action, skip to 2:12 if the video doesn't start there:

>

>

>

> > He is turning it down a ton.

>

> ^ @MPStrat, what do you mean by this?

knuckles down

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

> I use my 17 degree hybrid. We have a couple really elevated tee boxes and I can hit it 10-20' off the ground and it just runs like crazy and goes 220-250 depending on which box I hit it off of. Absolute fairway finder and a huge reason my handicap has dropped so much this year. I do play it back a little, aim down the left side of the fairway and come in from the inside and super shallow. Short backswing with maximum effort. I get asked about that shot more than anything else lol. Doubt I do it "right" but it works incredibly well.

let's see it, sir!! and if it works well, you must being doing something right +1

> @hoselpalooza said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > I use my 17 degree hybrid. We have a couple really elevated tee boxes and I can hit it 10-20' off the ground and it just runs like crazy and goes 220-250 depending on which box I hit it off of. Absolute fairway finder and a huge reason my handicap has dropped so much this year. I do play it back a little, aim down the left side of the fairway and come in from the inside and super shallow. Short backswing with maximum effort. I get asked about that shot more than anything else lol. Doubt I do it "right" but it works incredibly well.

>

> let's see it, sir!! and if it works well, you must being doing something right +1

I will see if I can video it tonight! I have shot tracer on my phone too.

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> \> @sailfishchris said:

> > > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > > I have a pretty good one. Secret is to fight every instinct you have. Ball back, hit down, exaggerate deloft. Those all spell trouble.

> > > I show people at my schools the “easier” way to do it and they are shocked how low the ball comes out.

> > The setup was eye opening

>

> That setup usually gets a response like, “Really? How am I going to hit it low like this?”

>

>

>

Cant find the video....help!! lol

I would love to learn how to hit this shot. When I want to hit fairways/hit it lower, I generally hit a soft knockdown with my 3-iron. It's more "middle" height than a true stinger type shot though

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

> @hoselpalooza said:

> > @CaddiesFault said:

> > 4 Iron here. Its my lowest club. Learned this one from Guido Migliozzi with the high tee stinger. Works great for me. Theres no impact with the ground so it feels much more natural and you cant hit it fat...just high on the face. I tee it off the back foot and hover the club at ball height. Tee it up like 1.5 inches or so.

> > edit: resolution is better on insta.

>

> this is awesome! i occasionally do the opposite with my driving iron -- tee it up about 2"-3" and hit it like driver -- but never thought to place the ball off of the back foot. can't wait to try this out.

>

> besides hovering the club, do you change anything about your grip or stance or swing (etc.) with this shot?

Thanks man! And nope, just backfoot so its further back in my circle and hover the club to match the impact point.

Based on the video though it looks like i subconsciously sawed off my follow through, or the ball position dictated it maybe... Wasnt trying to but normally i finish with higher hands and a full release of the club.

Here's Guido trying to explain how he hits it:

Callaway

> @hoselpalooza said:

> > @airjammer said:

> >

>

> this is filthy. unreal how he cracks the whip to get such low spin and low ball-flight. i want to learn how to do this!

Ive watched this 100+ times in the last few months. Cam Champ has that same move to hit those bullet drivers. It is filthy.

Callaway

> @hoselpalooza said:

>

>

>

Nice shot! Thanks dude. Its fun, eye opening and effective apparantly. Credit to Guido Migliozzi!

Callaway

> @Buckets2 said:

> > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > \> @sailfishchris said:

> > > > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > > > I have a pretty good one. Secret is to fight every instinct you have. Ball back, hit down, exaggerate deloft. Those all spell trouble.

> > > > I show people at my schools the “easier” way to do it and they are shocked how low the ball comes out.

> > > The setup was eye opening

> >

> > That setup usually gets a response like, “Really? How am I going to hit it low like this?”

> >

> >

> >

>

> Am i missing something? Did you post it somewhere?

I attended Monte's New Jersey clinic. One of his on course lessons was how to hit the stinger shot.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Ok, got to the course but it was rainy so I just hit some stingers and came home lol. I hit 4 of them starting with the highest trajectory I use to the lowest. Shot tracer does not even pick up the low ones right if you look close. I only hit those when I am on a elevated tee box as they only go a few feet in the air. 17 degree hybrid, about 150-180yd carry and 220-240 total

> @"rich s" said:

> Ok, got to the course but it was rainy so I just hit some stingers and came home lol. I hit 4 of them starting with the highest trajectory I use to the lowest. Shot tracer does not even pick up the low ones right if you look close. I only hit those when I am on a elevated tee box as they only go a few feet in the air. 17 degree hybrid, about 150-180yd carry and 220-240 total

>

>

Such awesome control of the golf ball... that's amazing.

Dont just lean on technique alone before you experiment.... purposely hit the ball lower and your instincts should tell you what to do.... same as if you tried to hit one a mile high. Works for me.... like any other racquet or stick type sport. Trust yourself young jedi to incorporate what your instincts tell ya into a repeatable technique

Can't figure how to like my own posts

> @"rich s" said:

> Ok, got to the course but it was rainy so I just hit some stingers and came home lol. I hit 4 of them starting with the highest trajectory I use to the lowest. Shot tracer does not even pick up the low ones right if you look close. I only hit those when I am on a elevated tee box as they only go a few feet in the air. 17 degree hybrid, about 150-180yd carry and 220-240 total

>

>

nice!! great shots to have in the bag. and those last two are crazy low; skeptical of shot tracer now lol. thanks for sharing!

----

> @CaddiesFault said:

> Here's Guido trying to explain how he hits it:

>

thanks for sharing the video! nice to see both FO and DTL views.

separately, do you have any links to cam champ stingers? a quick search turned up empty.

Not I. Fortunately I just moved from the Oregon coast where the stinger is a must have, to Phoenix where I haven't even had to think about trying it hit something low.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

> @hoselpalooza said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > Ok, got to the course but it was rainy so I just hit some stingers and came home lol. I hit 4 of them starting with the highest trajectory I use to the lowest. Shot tracer does not even pick up the low ones right if you look close. I only hit those when I am on a elevated tee box as they only go a few feet in the air. 17 degree hybrid, about 150-180yd carry and 220-240 total

> >

> >

>

> nice!! great shots to have in the bag. and those last two are crazy low; skeptical of shot tracer now lol. thanks for sharing!

>

> ----

>

> > @CaddiesFault said:

> > Here's Guido trying to explain how he hits it:

> >

>

> thanks for sharing the video! nice to see both FO and DTL views.

>

> separately, do you have any links to cam champ stingers? a quick search turned up empty.

He does it with his driver naturally, so its not an actual "stinger" per say. His driver has about a 5* launch angle. Heres a clip w/ an apex of 58 feet at 192 ball speed! Tour avg is more like 110-115 feet apex.

Callaway

> @MPStrat said:

> How Scott Stallings does it:

>

> Step 1: Ball position forward like a driver to not be super steep.

> Step 2: Keep that face “hooded” or delofted through impact. Step 3: Swing path from the inside and low with your chest on top (don’t lean your body back)

>

>

That ball position is fascinating.

> @wrm2120 said:

> > @MPStrat said:

> > How Scott Stallings does it:

> >

> > Step 1: Ball position forward like a driver to not be super steep.

> > Step 2: Keep that face “hooded” or delofted through impact. Step 3: Swing path from the inside and low with your chest on top (don’t lean your body back)

> >

> >

>

> That ball position is fascinating.

agreed. it took a bit of effort not to hook every shot when i tried teeing it up high off of the back foot. gonna have to try this as well as teeing it up higher toward the front foot.