Why does golf continue to have a dress code?

monkeyboy

There's no dress code in the Rules of Golf. Any dress codes you encounter are entirely up to the course (or driving range or whatever) you happen to want to play. There are a couple of scruffy courses I know of in my town where you'll see guys wearing stuff I wouldn't wear to be out digging a ditch in my backyard. And as for driving ranges, I don't know of any standalone driving ranges where there's a dress code other than not allowing people to be barefoot.

If there's some place with a dress code you don't like, go play somewhere that suits you instead. If you can't find any place to play that will let you wear what you like, maybe reconsider some of your lifestyle choices.

> @jwhite86 said:

> ... considering how I see people dressed when showing up to weddings/ funerals etc

I can understand the weddings/funerals thing. I haven't had to wear a suit & tie anywhere other than a wedding or funeral in at least 10 years. As a software development professional my (current) standard work attire is jeans and a golf shirt (when I started in the mid-80's, it was a suit & tie). I certainly wouldn't want someone to go out an buy a suit specifically for the purpose of attending my wedding or funeral (which is exactly what I needed to do in order to attend my nephews wedding last year after having lost a lot of weight since the last time that I needed to wear a suit).

> @"Bill Broderick" said:

> > @jwhite86 said:

> > ... considering how I see people dressed when showing up to weddings/ funerals etc

>

> I can understand the weddings/funerals thing. I haven't had to wear a suit & tie anywhere other than a wedding or funeral in at least 10 years. As a software development professional my (current) standard work attire is jeans and a golf shirt (when I started in the mid-80's, it was a suit & tie). I certainly wouldn't want someone to go out an buy a suit specifically for the purpose of attending my wedding or funeral (which is exactly what I needed to do in order to attend my nephews wedding last year after having lost a lot of weight since the last time that I needed to wear a suit).

I get that... we really don't have a dress code where I work...

But I've seen cutoffs, jean shorts, t-shirts with stupid sayings on them, etc

Society as a whole is dressing down across the board is essentially what I was trying to say haha

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

> @jwhite86 said:

> > @"Bill Broderick" said:

> > > @jwhite86 said:

> > > ... considering how I see people dressed when showing up to weddings/ funerals etc

> >

> > I can understand the weddings/funerals thing. I haven't had to wear a suit & tie anywhere other than a wedding or funeral in at least 10 years. As a software development professional my (current) standard work attire is jeans and a golf shirt (when I started in the mid-80's, it was a suit & tie). I certainly wouldn't want someone to go out an buy a suit specifically for the purpose of attending my wedding or funeral (which is exactly what I needed to do in order to attend my nephews wedding last year after having lost a lot of weight since the last time that I needed to wear a suit).

>

> I get that... we really don't have a dress code where I work...

>

> But I've seen cutoffs, jean shorts, t-shirts with stupid sayings on them, etc

>

> Society as a whole is dressing down across the board is essentially what I was trying to say haha

OK. I agree. There is no excuse for someone to show up at an event such as wedding/funeral and not be dressed neatly.

> @Laznasty said:

> > @DrewBallin said:

> > > @BMC said:

> > > > @DrewBallin said:

> > > > Do you stick your nose in the air if random people say hi to you also? Golf isn't a secret fraternity.

> > > >

> > > >** I guarantee that if a tour pro or any well known person for that matter walked up to ANY club house wanting to stroke some clubs he/she wouldn't be turned away if they were wearing pajamas even.** Dress codes.... Not sayin, just sayin.

> > > Not true. Certainly not at the private club I work at and many others. Upscale country clubs aren't impressed by celebrity and money. Many of the members fit that description. NHL player, Kid Rock, whoever, you must wear a colored shirt, we have a nice selection to choose from.

> > >

> >

> > We should all be good to go at your up scale country club then, I for one do have a colored shirt and I'm sure most people do. Everyone's money spends the same doesn't it?

> >

> > I also think that your private club would give said higher profile people a colored shirts to wear so they didn't leave. Again not sayin, just sayin.

>

> Are you talking about a colored shirt or a collared shirt? Because theres a difference. Not sayin, just sayin.

Oh, my bad bro....but

If you were to actually read the post I quoted, it said colored. Not sayin, just sayin

I don’t see the issue with throwing on a collared shirt just to hit the range. If that’s what your club requires, meet the requirements or find another club or standalone range. As for common sense, golf is traditionally (in recent times) played in a collared shirt and pants. Not a big deal. Golf clothing is super comfortable and it’s not really dressing up. A lot of people dress nicer for work than for golf. Even though I’m a blue collar shipyard supervisor, my department prides itself on professional appearance and professional behavior and it’s an unwritten rule/tradition that supervisors and higher (management) wear collared shirt. A solid 95% of us wear golf polos (even the non golfers) because it gives a professional appearance and those who don’t wear collared shirts are honestly the few that my department would probably love to get rid of. To make my point, if your club requires you to wear a collared shirt because it helps maintain an appearance of quality, that’s their choice as a private organization.

> @qtlaw said:

> As a guy who wears a suit most every day, the dress code is at its heart economic discrimination. They want to keep out those less fortunate. That's the reality. (Don't tell me some t shirts costs boatloads more than a polo, that's not what's at issue).

Dressing 'nice' is economic discrimination? Global trade has negated that. You can buy an entire 'golf appropriate' ensemble for less than $40 new on amazon shipped to your door; not to mention if you go to a good will or the like and get each piece for $5.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @qtlaw said:

> As a guy who wears a suit most every day, the dress code is at its heart economic discrimination. They want to keep out those less fortunate. That's the reality. (Don't tell me some t shirts costs boatloads more than a polo, that's not what's at issue).

Just like all of the catholic and public schools try to do with their dress codes, huh?

Certainly a big part at private clubs is long time members that have some 'if it was good enough for me' syndrome.

However, for many private clubs are a place to do business, and the notion of providing a certain experience still exists.

For example, when I'm invited to a game or concert at a luxury suite one of my business contacts owns, I leave the tshirt or jersey I might wear in the regular seats at home.

Why do people "have" to dress up for church, weddings, interviews? Because there's a level of decorum society has agreed to. How we dress says a lot about us. What do you think of people who wear shorts and tshirts to a Ruth's Chris or Morton's? They're saying "I don't really care what I look like or the image I present about myself"

• Like 2

In fairness judging someone on their looks or imagine is happening less nowadays. Overall, I see this as a good thing. For example, at work I want the best person for the team because they will help reduce workload for everyone else. I could care less if they dress as batman to a corporate office setting.

> @Warrior42111 said:

> In fairness judging someone on their looks or imagine is happening less nowadays. Overall, I see this as a good thing. For example, at work I want the best person for the team because they will help reduce workload for everyone else. I could care less if they dress as batman to a corporate office setting.

You would care if your brand wanted to present as professional and your company had as a requirement that business casual(Slacks and a polo style shirt) were the norm and the best person(production wise) was someone that felt rules shouldn't apply to them.

But yeah, I get the not judging by appearance and it's good, but following rules trumps that....at least to me.

• Like 1

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > @qtlaw said:

> > As a guy who wears a suit most every day, the dress code is at its heart economic discrimination. They want to keep out those less fortunate. That's the reality. (Don't tell me some t shirts costs boatloads more than a polo, that's not what's at issue).

>

> Dressing 'nice' is economic discrimination? Global trade has negated that. You can buy an entire 'golf appropriate' ensemble for less than $40 new on amazon shipped to your door; not to mention if you go to a good will or the like and get each piece for $5.

Golf's dress code is a tradition. The origin is economic discrimination.

Most everybody can look decent and presentable in jeans and a t-shirt. I wouldn’t wear a heavy metal shirt but I think the collared shirt and no jeans rule is outdated. Being told what to wear during a recreational activity is just wrong.

My golf wardrobe is collared shirts and golf pants, because I like the look. Also, the breathable and elastic materials are great. I don’t care what others are wearing. Just show a minimum level of decency, like you would at work in an office.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Dress codes can be, do not have to be, set by each facility. There are a few courses I know of where you can wear wife beater T-shirts and jeans or something similar and nothing is said. However, most of these courses are generally lower tier facilities. I would imagine where you are you can find a course that will allow you to wear T-shirts...if you really want that.

The problem with relaxing dress codes is where do you draw the line? Do, you want to play golf or have lunch in the grill with some guy dressed like Larry the Cable Guy? If you are ok with that...then so be it. Personally...I like the traditions that golf has and would hate to see it change...but I am old and maybe it will change after I am gone. Also concerning cost...I have extremely expensive pants/shorts/shirts for golf and I also have shorts and shirts that only cost about $15 apiece and they look just as good as the expensive stuff.

I think part of it comes down to mindset. Do you enjoy golf more as a sport or social event?

For me it’s the sport aspect. When I head to the range (excluding right before a round), I’m going to practice/train so I also prefer to be in some workout clothes.

BUT the issue I could see is that if you belong to a club and you’re walking through the clubhouse, there is no way to differentiate someone playing or practicing. So requiring collared shirt makes more sense.

When it’s an actual round, a pair of nice shorts and polo feels like a uniform and I personally love it.

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > @qtlaw said:

> > As a guy who wears a suit most every day, the dress code is at its heart economic discrimination. They want to keep out those less fortunate. That's the reality. (Don't tell me some t shirts costs boatloads more than a polo, that's not what's at issue).

>

> Dressing 'nice' is economic discrimination? Global trade has negated that. You can buy an entire 'golf appropriate' ensemble for less than $40 new on amazon shipped to your door; not to mention if you go to a good will or the like and get each piece for $5.

People still judge others based on brands. That’s a fact- especially in an elitist (re: elitist in America) sport.

I personally like being dressed up to play a round of golf. I stopped wearing shorts to play i just prefer pants... also getting lyme disease once influenced this lol. To hit the range tho i dont care what im wearing i usally just want shorts and a t shirt or tank to get some sun. I think tradition should be kept as far as dress code in sports. If your dressed wrong your liable to a $10 fine per hole... if i owned a course lol :D

I recognize I was slightly elitist recently when I played with two obviously lower income guys a while back on my local city course. One wore a dirty t-shirt, the other a tank top. They had one bad set of clubs they were sharing. And they also were driving a cart while I was walking. The reason I believe in the simple modern-day golf dress code of a simple collared shirt is it also preserves the spirit of the rule book in general. Sure guys with a collar do cheat, but likely at least know the rules and follow the general spirit. I can spot from a mile away when guys are going to be obnoxious hackers who drink too much, hit 10 thin shots a hole, and impact the rounds that others are playing. I believe the dress code is the first step to preserving the game.

> @COmedic said:

> I recognize I was slightly elitist recently when I played with two obviously lower income guys a while back on my local city course. One wore a dirty t-shirt, the other a tank top. They had one bad set of clubs they were sharing. And they also were driving a cart while I was walking. The reason I believe in the simple modern-day golf dress code of a simple collared shirt is it also preserves the spirit of the rule book in general. Sure guys with a collar do cheat, but likely at least know the rules and follow the general spirit. I can spot from a mile away when guys are going to be obnoxious hackers who drink too much, hit 10 thin shots a hole, and impact the rounds that others are playing. I believe the dress code is the first step to preserving the game.

Just slightly?

Economic discrimination? Really? Because of a dress code requiring a collar and shirt to be tucked, etc.? Hate to break it to you, but "economic discrimination" exists in practically every facet of a free society, and in much more profound ways than a silly golf course dress code.

Ever maybe think that the golf course/club is simply a business doing what it deems is necessary to meet the expectations of the majority of its paying customers so that it can continue to succeed as a viable enterprise? That's economic freedom, not discrimination.

Typical that some feel entitled to the point that they should be able to write their own rules for someone else's business.

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Economic discrimination is a state of mind.....period.

Playing golf is not a “Right”. It is a luxury. Owning a yacht is not a right either nor a mansion, Ferrari, Rolex etc.

These things are expensive and people that own them can. They didn’t take them from anyone.

Sick and tired of equality views.

• Like 3

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> > @COmedic said:

> > I recognize I was slightly elitist recently when I played with two obviously lower income guys a while back on my local city course. One wore a dirty t-shirt, the other a tank top. They had one bad set of clubs they were sharing. And they also were driving a cart while I was walking. The reason I believe in the simple modern-day golf dress code of a simple collared shirt is it also preserves the spirit of the rule book in general. Sure guys with a collar do cheat, but likely at least know the rules and follow the general spirit. I can spot from a mile away when guys are going to be obnoxious hackers who drink too much, hit 10 thin shots a hole, and impact the rounds that others are playing. I believe the dress code is the first step to preserving the game.

>

> Just slightly?

Yeah just slightly. They were nice but I was more annoyed that the tank top guy had never hit a golf ball previously so they decided to just come play a round vs going to the range.

The dress code is a sign of respect towards the game. Courses can operate how they want but one course locally now tolerates tank tops and flip flops or bare foot golfing and I think it’s obnoxious enough I avoid the course unless it’s the last option.

> @justasgood said:

>

> But yeah, I get the not judging by appearance and it's good, but following rules trumps that....at least to me.

I agree with this part if the course or company says you need to wear something sure it's a rule, but sometimes I just play the local city course on Friday after work and you see all type of dress.

Just reading this topic it seems like some would refuse to play with someone in jeans and a T, which means their mental game is that of Odell Beckham Jr B)

I'm a metal head. I have long hair. Pretty much wear jeans and t-shirt all the time, but........I love dressing up for the course. I've worn plus fours and a tweed cap with my hair in a plait! I'm soo colourful when I play golf you can see me from a mile away, and I literally have more golf clothes than "normal" clothes. Crazy but true. Love golf and its traditions......and metal!! :)

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.