MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Along the lines of the turning-off-wifi trick:

Airplane mode is a must when you're playing stupid cell phone games while working on buglers in the men's room at work. > @davechen said:

> My kids are supposed to write a 6 word autobiography for high school English. My suggestion was "I like big butts, no lie." Brilliant, I though. They did not agree.

"My Favorite Intercourse Is Group Intercourse"

> @aiyyer said:

> Anybody using cavity back wedges?

Two words: wedge forgiveness

Domes will fill in the rest.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

i went to 2nd Swing today to look at some wedges. The CBX2 wedges are huge and fortunately bad for my shallow swing. They had the yellow Square Sumo driver if anybody is interested. Also $69 sale on Mizuno CLK hybrids.

I think the DG Spinner shaft may be to blame. Played with Mark g @ WM yesterday and he kept babbling about a signed dollar bill??

I recently bought a PING Glide 3.0 (could they have made the name sound any more like an adult toy?) 50 degree, to replace my SM7. Save for very rare occasions* the gap wedge is strictly an approach club for me. I wanted something a little more like my irons (i210) than the Vokey. I don't know if they advertise it as a cavity back, but it most definitely is. I like it so far. It's got a great shape, and feel. I think it does flight slightly higher than the Vokey, but not problematically so. I'd consider trying a 56 for sure.

*I had maybe a 50 yard bunker shot to a front pin, from the only bunker on the entire course you CAN'T miss in at Turf Valley Original last week. I played a blast with the Glide 50. It flew to the middle of the green, and RIPPED back past the flag, down the false front, and off the green. I think that shot had approximately 20,000 RPMs of backspin lol.

I might take a look at the CBX2 during my annual winter wedge shuffle. I have the 50/54/58 in the Vokey SM7s and Glide 3.0s. I am still thinking of 50/56/60 and dropping the gap wedge that matches my irons. The 56 will give me more green side options and may be better out of the sand than the 58. I could then add a 60 with a little less bounce.

Now that I am back from vacation and before my next trip in 2 weeks to Maine, I have many meetings to work this out in my mind.

Busy vacay lst week -

Flew to Louisville Friday before Labor Day. Great hang with our nephew and his wife Friday night. Hit Angel's Envy and Michter's distilleries Saturday morning before heading to Evansville, IN for a family wedding. There is NOTHING between Louisville and Evansville except French Lick, IN. (I think a saw a movie once with a french lick in it...).

Wedding was nice and the hang with my wife's cousins was fun, eventhough it was in the lobby bar of a 1980s Holiday Inn next to the Evansville airport.

Flew back to BWI early Monday. Left Evansville at 3:30 am to allow for the time change between Evansville and Louisville. Then, straight from BWI to Bethany Beach for the week. Mon-Wed were nice and sunny. Thur was some sun in the am and clouds rolling in pm. Friday was Dorian. Walked 2 blocks to the beach in 40mph winds and heavy rain. Very cool. Hung on the beach Saturday until leaving early evening.

I saw someone at The Peoples Country Club a couple weekends ago walk up to the starter with only three clubs in his bag..driver, putter, and one of those irons that you can change the length/loft on. I never really thought people actually bought those.

Chicken side note: Picked up a Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich for dinner last night. Not particularly spicy, but still good.

• Like 1

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

Some good golf being played out at Worthington Manor, minus CFreeman's score I just saw on the Grint.

Dom put up a 71 from the tips. Watch out gross field. I didn't even think he was playing as good as I've seen him play, but he was really golfing his ball. Time to put some pressure on him and call him the favorite for the club championship.

Christian birdied the 3rd. I think any net player who birdies 3 in the tournament should be automatic club champion. Last week Dom told me that he's only seen 3-4 birdies total there, and 2-3 of those were from him. So in all the times Dom has played there, he's only seen Christian and one other guy birdie that hole.

Front 9 still has my number there, but put up another good score on the back. Kinda nice to have some mojo where I can throw in some triples but still not feel out of it. On 16 I hit my drive so far left that I landed on the 12th fairway (the section short of the green). Striped a blind 6-iron just long of the green and got up and down for an all world par. I grinded out a bunch of good putts coming down the stretch. Up/up/down on 10, up/down on 11, up/down on 15, up/down on 16, up/down on 17, and made about a 10 foot second putt on 18.

Made it out to UMD with Domes on Sat. TLDR, I played my best round in probably 3+ years.

We started off on ten and I hit my drive into the rough over the bunkers right, hit a 9 iron to a back pin about to about 8 feet, make the birdie. Hit 7 iron to 4 feet on 11, but miss putt. Bogie 12 after not getting up and down from the front of the green. Two good shots on 13, pitch it to 15 feet for another good look at birdie that just missed. Hit a 4 iron to 12 feet on 14, but again hit an edge. Bogie on 15 after not getting up and down from the front of the green. Birdie 16 after just missing my eagle chip from the front of the green. Hit two decent shots on 17 but drain a longish, downhill left to right breaking putt for another birdie. Bogie 18 after hitting into the fairway bunker right. Out in even par for one of my best 9 hole stretches of ball golf I've played. Our back, the front nine, doesn't deserve nearly as many words and a bad chip on 7 from a bit of a wet lie left of the green led to my only double of the day. Great day to play golf and enjoyable round of golf with Domes. The good news, coming off that round I'm not playing golf again for almost a month :(

Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Cleveland HB Soft 11S

> @FAbb said:

> Nobody cares how far that drive went. Show us a measurement of how far left that is. It's almost unfathomable somebody could be trying to hit the fairway on 16, and end up hitting that shot instead. You're encroaching PQ territory there.

It's a good angle from over there. Shot is blind but you have a gap in the trees where the 17th tee box is, so you actually have a decent idea of where your line should be. My shot was about 15 yards long of the pin, but darn good line. A++ would recommend again.

Also the GPS carts at Worthington will keep you on the right hole even when you drive over to the wrong one. Still recognized I was playing the 16th from the 12th hole and gave me a nice yardage. That's a little insider info for those of you prepping for the club championship.

To your question, it was about 100 yards left. I was aiming in the left rough for the fade and/or hill bounce. So I think that means my drive was even further than 270. Watch out gross field, I'm coming for you.

• Like 2

xhoop's round was excellent. He hit the ball very straight, and his good ones just sounded and looked _different_ He burned at least 4 edges with his new Bobby Grace putter, and I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts a while in the bag. he won all 3 matches, and I think the 18 hole was 8 and 7. It was a very good round of golf.

I putted poorly at Bethpage, and I've been feeling too mechanical over the ball recently, so before the round I was experimenting with looking at the spot 10-12" in front of the ball I pick when I'm lining up. I committed to doing it the entire round. It freed up my stroke, and I hit some really nice putts on the course, but I found that I sometimes have some trouble picking up the spot again if I look at the hole or the ball. I think I ended up picking wrong spots about 40% of the time.

But I liked the idea, and I'm going to keep working on it. There's probably a way to make it work.

> @FAbb said:

> Nobody cares how far that drive went. Show us a measurement of how far left that is. It's almost unfathomable somebody could be trying to hit the fairway on 16, and end up hitting that shot instead. You're encroaching PQ territory there.

In all the times I have played WM I honest to God didn't even know you could get to 12 from the 16th tee.

But - confirmed - Sully has looked fantastic smashing the D lately.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @baddomes said:

> xhoop's round was excellent. He hit the ball very straight, and his good ones just sounded and looked _different_ He burned at least 4 edges with his new Bobby Grace putter, and I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts a while in the bag. he won all 3 matches, and I think the 18 hole was 8 and 7. It was a very good round of golf.

>

> I putted poorly at Bethpage, and I've been feeling too mechanical over the ball recently, so before the round I was experimenting with looking at the spot 10-12" in front of the ball I pick when I'm lining up. I committed to doing it the entire round. It freed up my stroke, and I hit some really nice putts on the course, but I found that I sometimes have some trouble picking up the spot again if I look at the hole or the ball. I think I ended up picking wrong spots about 40% of the time.

>

> But I liked the idea, and I'm going to keep working on it. There's probably a way to make it work.

Related, UMD was in good shape. Fairways were as good as I've seen them for UMD as summer comes to a close. Worth a play as we enter fall.

• Like 1

Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Cleveland HB Soft 11S

> @baddomes said:

> I putted poorly at Bethpage, and I've been feeling too mechanical over the ball recently, so before the round I was experimenting with looking at the spot 10-12" in front of the ball I pick when I'm lining up. I committed to doing it the entire round. It freed up my stroke, and I hit some really nice putts on the course, but **I found that I sometimes have some trouble picking up the spot again if I look at the hole or the ball. I think I ended up picking wrong spots about 40% of the time.**

>

> But I liked the idea, and I'm going to keep working on it. There's probably a way to make it work.

I had that same problem when I messed around with spot putting.

Whats worse, is it gets hard to pick out a distinct spot at all, the better conditioned greens you play.

I also found that it hurt my ability to control distance. Normally my last look is focusing on the hole, and my entry speed. Once I add in trying to find and focus on rolling over my spot, it's like my brain loses that information about speed. That might just be something that it takes time to figure out, though. Last I knew, City does some version of spot putting, and he controls speed better than just about anybody I've seen.

my putting has gotten worse through this season i feel. Nothing about it feels right. I've tried looking at my line, looking at the hole, looking at the line i want to start the ball on 12-24" in front of the ball total headcase.

turned 30 on friday. get married in two weeks.

played decent ball golf was played saturday. lakewood saturday - only highlight was a 267 yd 3w to 20' for eagle on 14, which i slid by. gross 79, lots of fairways hit for me - m5 has been great ever since switching over.

had some family emergency late saturday night that kept me from playing sunday, but everything is alright and calmed down now. entering the calm before the wedding storm.

It could just be coincidence, but it does sort of feel like practicing my putting this year has made it more difficult for me to deal with varying green speeds - particularly faster greens.

In recent years, I probably practice putted outdoors a handful of times or less per season. This year, I've been out weekly. Sometimes I'll even sneak in two sessions during a week. It's always at Hobbits, which other than a brief period where the green was real fast, is generally on the slower side. I've also played a bunch of rounds at Waverly this year, which has been slower than normal. All that is to say that I've got a lot of reps in on slow greens. I'm well adapted to putting at that speed. I've had some seriously excellent putting days this year. Above and beyond previous years. I've also had some ridiculously good practice sessions.

It feels like any time I go play somewhere that the greens are faster, I struggle to adapt quickly enough. Rather than taking a smaller stroke with my normal tempo, I start making these tentative, off tempo strokes. I putted like a turd at my FILs member-guest. I putted like a turd at the fourball at Trump. I've putted like a turd when the greens are quicker at Turf.

Maybe I'm reaching, and there's not actually a correlation there, but it feels like there's something to it.

> @XHoop24 said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > xhoop's round was excellent. He hit the ball very straight, and his good ones just sounded and looked _different_ He burned at least 4 edges with his new Bobby Grace putter, and I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts a while in the bag. he won all 3 matches, and I think the 18 hole was 8 and 7. It was a very good round of golf.

> >

> > I putted poorly at Bethpage, and I've been feeling too mechanical over the ball recently, so before the round I was experimenting with looking at the spot 10-12" in front of the ball I pick when I'm lining up. I committed to doing it the entire round. It freed up my stroke, and I hit some really nice putts on the course, but I found that I sometimes have some trouble picking up the spot again if I look at the hole or the ball. I think I ended up picking wrong spots about 40% of the time.

> >

> > But I liked the idea, and I'm going to keep working on it. There's probably a way to make it work.

>

> Related, UMD was in good shape. Fairways were as good as I've seen them for UMD as summer comes to a close. Worth a play as we enter fall.

Semi -related for the VA crowd: Bull Run is trash. It's embarrassing. I so like the set up, but I just can't recommend paying the rack rate. Greens are inconsistent, there are bare patches everywhere. The tee boxes remain trash. They apparently had a storm blow through there last weekend, and they still haven't removed debris. It's like they have no maintenance plan (or budget) whatsoever. It's a damn golf course. If you can't grow grass, what's even the point of being in business.

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

> @thechief16 said:

>

>

> > @XHoop24 said:

> > > @baddomes said:

> > > xhoop's round was excellent. He hit the ball very straight, and his good ones just sounded and looked _different_ He burned at least 4 edges with his new Bobby Grace putter, and I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts a while in the bag. he won all 3 matches, and I think the 18 hole was 8 and 7. It was a very good round of golf.

> > >

> > > I putted poorly at Bethpage, and I've been feeling too mechanical over the ball recently, so before the round I was experimenting with looking at the spot 10-12" in front of the ball I pick when I'm lining up. I committed to doing it the entire round. It freed up my stroke, and I hit some really nice putts on the course, but I found that I sometimes have some trouble picking up the spot again if I look at the hole or the ball. I think I ended up picking wrong spots about 40% of the time.

> > >

> > > But I liked the idea, and I'm going to keep working on it. There's probably a way to make it work.

> >

> > Related, UMD was in good shape. Fairways were as good as I've seen them for UMD as summer comes to a close. Worth a play as we enter fall.

>

> Semi -related for the VA crowd: Bull Run is trash. It's embarrassing. I so like the set up, but I just can't recommend paying the rack rate. Greens are inconsistent, there are bare patches everywhere. The tee boxes remain trash. They apparently had a storm blow through there last weekend, and they still haven't removed debris. It's like they have no maintenance plan (or budget) whatsoever. It's a **** golf course. If you can't grow grass, what's even the point of being in business.

Damn, this sucks. I feel like when we played in July it was actually half decent.

I feel like BR has been through this cycle a few times. Terrible conditions, borderline closing, someone comes in and gets it back to shape. At some point players are going to stop going there altogether, its just too far out of the way for most people to put up with paying $$$ for trash conditions.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I started watching Breaking Bad a couple days ago on Netflix. Don't want to give away any spoilers, but it's a pretty good show.

• Like 1

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6