2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Junior scores

CaptJosh

If it is your first tournament don't worry about his score and don't try to compare him to other kids around just yet, will only end badly. There is a ton of variability and a ton of factors that go into scores. You can look at comparative scores for your local tour on the website under the "Points" or "Results" tab. First tournament just go out and have fun with your son!!!

> @CaptJosh said:

> So my son is playing in his first USkids tournament in October.( which will actually be his first tournament ever) We haven't had many USkids in our area in the past. He is 9 and I am curious about scores. What are your juniors shooting in these type events?

Just ensure he has fun. I'm sure at the start and probably until the end he might not be able to feel his hands or toes.

It will be his best tournament round no matter what.

That is the plan! He is going from travel baseball to golf. He is very competitive and I have told him the same thing just relax and enjoy it. I don't put any pressure on him at all ( like I did in baseball). This is all him and his ability. I was just curious really. I have looked at the local scores and after reading on here for a few days I was wondering about scores in other areas.

I don't put any pressure on him at all ( like I did in baseball).

Preach brother! AMEN!!! I've learned my lessons. My son is alot older and can drive now. Him and his sister drive to the course by themselves. I pretend like I don't noticed, so they will send me videos. Then I can watch them over and over and over!!!

> @CaptJosh said:

> That is the plan! He is going from travel baseball to golf. He is very competitive and I have told him the same thing just relax and enjoy it. I don't put any pressure on him at all ( like I did in baseball). This is all him and his ability. I was just curious really. I have looked at the local scores and after reading on here for a few days I was wondering about scores in other areas.

Lot of variety depending on locality. In some areas a 33 is needed to win, in others a 40 will win and you will see scores from breaking par all the way up to the high 50s and 60s. Just a lot of variance because these are open tournaments.

> @CaptJosh said:

> That is the plan! He is going from travel baseball to golf. He is very competitive and I have told him the same thing just relax and enjoy it. I don't put any pressure on him at all ( like I did in baseball). This is all him and his ability. I was just curious really. I have looked at the local scores and after reading on here for a few days I was wondering about scores in other areas.

Scores fluctuate from area to area and state to state. To win a 9 year old event in South Florida you will need to be under par. To win a 9 year old event in the Panhandle you don't have to break 50.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Thank guys. I saw one of the last events around here something like a 41 or 42 won and 60 or so was the highest score. I really have no expectations other than him having a good time. He is going to play in this event and then play in a local Jimmy Green tour in the spring. He is already nervous so I can only imagine how it will be come tournament day. He will do fine if he is able to settle down and just play.

> @CaptJosh said:

> Thank guys. I saw one of the last events around here something like a 41 or 42 won and 60 or so was the highest score. I really have no expectations other than him having a good time. He is going to play in this event and then play in a local Jimmy Green tour in the spring. He is already nervous so I can only imagine how it will be come tournament day. He will do fine if he is able to settle down and just play.

Make sure you pack a cooler with water and snacks. When I say snacks something light that packs protein. Nuts, Jerky, Muscle Milk, etc. Make sure he hydrates and eats.

I have a 9 & 11 year old who started playing in US kids and NE PGA tournaments this year. First several were high 50's low 60's, then low 50's, and now mid 40's. Its a great experience.

Callaway Rouge LS

CobraLTDx 3 wood

Ping 425 4 hybrid

Ping iCrossover 18*

Mizuno 923 Forged 5-pw

SM9 50/56/60

Ping Kushin4

FWIW, I tell my 9 yr old that par is -2 at USkids local tournaments for him. The key is to get approach chip shots close on par 4's. Depending who is in the field, anywhere from -2 to -5 will win in the tournaments we play. In his first US kids tournament he shot something like 52 and I had no real expectations. Do the same and keep your son relaxed and having fun as sometimes it can be intimidating out there.

Best of luck!!

Like most have already said, don’t worry about the score, it’ll fluctuate and WILL get better the more your kid plays. FWIW, my kid shot 47 in his first tournament back in January, and then shot 50’s in the following few tournaments. By March he was in the mid 40’s, and then high 30’s by May. At the end of June he shot 34 and 34 in the 2 day state event and won. In July he was the only American placing in top 10 at IMG Jr World. This coming Sunday i’ll get to see if he’s able to keep up playing in a new age group with longer yardages. I’ll take anything under 40 LOL.

At 9, the original USKG yards were short. Now they’re even shorter. I would say a local tour will have a few in the 30s and likely one or two that’s even or under. Some of those holes will be drive, chip and putt for a few of those players...

But I echo others... as long as your kid can shoot in the 40s, I would enter without fear of him wanting to quit. If he’s shooting in the 50s with you, it would be kid-dependent (will he use it as fire to get better or want to quit bc others are good).

At 10, the scores used to go up initially bc the yardage jump was so high. Less so now. At 11, 4800 is very short. We had a local event and I think 8 of the 15 players or so were in the 70s.

I > @yellowlover519 said:

> At 9, the original USKG yards were short. Now they’re even shorter. I would say a local tour will have a few in the 30s and likely one or two that’s even or under. Some of those holes will be drive, chip and putt for a few of those players...

>

> But I echo others... as long as your kid can shoot in the 40s, I would enter without fear of him wanting to quit. If he’s shooting in the 50s with you, it would be kid-dependent (will he use it as fire to get better or want to quit bc others are good).

>

> At 10, the scores used to go up initially bc the yardage jump was so high. Less so now. At 11, 4800 is very short. We had a local event and I think 8 of the 15 players or so were in the 70s.

We will see how it goes but I would expect him to be in the 40’s but who knows what will happen when the nerves kick in!

Like everyone said don’t have expectations. One thing not mentioned is depending where you are some parents get out of hand in these events.

Wining US kids events also means nothing. You do it so the kid gets tournament experience. Just don’t get carried away with it and let the excitement get your head. The yardages are short and there are not many officials watching. In local events don’t be discouraged if you see all kinds of strange things happen.Your playing the lowest level golf tournament and need to remember that. Let your kid make mistakes and learn from it.

As kids get older they have to learn to actually play golf on a real course with officials. It is a vastly different tournament.

> @tiger1873 said:

> Like everyone said don’t have expectations. One thing not mentioned is depending where you are some parents get out of hand in these events.

>

> Wining US kids events also means nothing. You do it so the kid gets tournament experience. Just don’t get carried away with it and let the excitement get your head. The yardages are short and there are not many officials watching. In local events don’t be discouraged if you see all kinds of strange things happen.Your playing the lowest level golf tournament and need to remember that. Let your kid make mistakes and learn from it.

>

> As kids get older they have to learn to actually play golf on a real course with officials. It is a vastly different tournament.

Wow. Not sure where you play US Kids but to call the the local tours the "lowest level of golf tournament" is very harsh. In most regions it is the only golf for the most kids and winning is important.

Re: The original question on scores, I would focus on the round rather than the score.. tournament golf is different and focusing on the round would help with practice and that sets the stage for improving scores and the round in the future. If it is not clear, focusing on the round implies keeping a tab of 3 putts, up and downs, fairways missed, duffed shot, bunker play, penalties etc. Your child does not need to know this but such info helped us a lot.

> @kcap said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > Like everyone said don’t have expectations. One thing not mentioned is depending where you are some parents get out of hand in these events.

> >

> > Wining US kids events also means nothing. You do it so the kid gets tournament experience. Just don’t get carried away with it and let the excitement get your head. The yardages are short and there are not many officials watching. In local events don’t be discouraged if you see all kinds of strange things happen.Your playing the lowest level golf tournament and need to remember that. Let your kid make mistakes and learn from it.

> >

> > As kids get older they have to learn to actually play golf on a real course with officials. It is a vastly different tournament.

>

> Wow. Not sure where you play US Kids but to call the the local tours the "lowest level of golf tournament" is very harsh. In most regions it is the only golf for the most kids and winning is important.

>

It's not a harsh statement or even to meant an insult. It is just reality once a kid gets older or is good enough to compete in bigger events it almost a complete waste of time to play US Kids. If you win week in week out you need to find harder tournaments.

I also meant this as a locals tour go. Most local tours have very little officials around watching the play. When tournaments matter there are more eyeballs on everyone and you have to qualify to even play.

The regional and worlds tour are ok but are really for only kids 6-12. You really though can't compare them to USGA events or invitationals out there.

> @kcap said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > Like everyone said don’t have expectations. One thing not mentioned is depending where you are some parents get out of hand in these events.

> >

> > Wining US kids events also means nothing. You do it so the kid gets tournament experience. Just don’t get carried away with it and let the excitement get your head. The yardages are short and there are not many officials watching. In local events don’t be discouraged if you see all kinds of strange things happen.Your playing the lowest level golf tournament and need to remember that. Let your kid make mistakes and learn from it.

> >

> > As kids get older they have to learn to actually play golf on a real course with officials. It is a vastly different tournament.

>

> Wow. Not sure where you play US Kids but to call the the local tours the "lowest level of golf tournament" is very harsh. In most regions it is the only golf for the most kids and winning is important.

>

> Re: The original question on scores, I would focus on the round rather than the score.. tournament golf is different and focusing on the round would help with practice and that sets the stage for improving scores and the round in the future. If it is not clear, focusing on the round implies keeping a tab of 3 putts, up and downs, fairways missed, duffed shot, bunker play, penalties etc. Your child does not need to know this but such info helped us a lot.

>

I understand where he is coming from. Pop Warner is the lowest level of football. Little League is the lowest level of baseball. etc. etc.

> @kcap said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> >

> >

>

>

> Re: The original question on scores, I would focus on the round rather than the score.. tournament golf is different and focusing on the round would help with practice and that sets the stage for improving scores and the round in the future. If it is not clear, focusing on the round implies keeping a tab of 3 putts, up and downs, fairways missed, duffed shot, bunker play, penalties etc. Your child does not need to know this but such info helped us a lot.

>

I don't think he meant it insulting in any way and just to be fair what would be lower than USKids as far as tournament golf goes? I can't think of anything personally.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @kcap said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > Like everyone said don’t have expectations. One thing not mentioned is depending where you are some parents get out of hand in these events.

> > >

> > > Wining US kids events also means nothing. You do it so the kid gets tournament experience. Just don’t get carried away with it and let the excitement get your head. The yardages are short and there are not many officials watching. In local events don’t be discouraged if you see all kinds of strange things happen.Your playing the lowest level golf tournament and need to remember that. Let your kid make mistakes and learn from it.

> > >

> > > As kids get older they have to learn to actually play golf on a real course with officials. It is a vastly different tournament.

> >

> > Wow. Not sure where you play US Kids but to call the the local tours the "lowest level of golf tournament" is very harsh. In most regions it is the only golf for the most kids and winning is important.

> >

> It's not a harsh statement or even to meant an insult. It is just reality once a kid gets older or is good enough to compete in bigger events it almost a complete waste of time to play US Kids. If you win week in week out you need to find harder tournaments.

>

> I also meant this as a locals tour go. Most local tours have very little officials around watching the play. When tournaments matter there are more eyeballs on everyone and you have to qualify to even play.

>

> The regional and worlds tour are ok but are really for only kids 6-12. You really though can't compare them to USGA events or invitationals out there.

Really? Whose comparing USkids to USGA events? NOBODY!!! I assume your child is playing in top level AJGA invitationals right? Bottom line, kids need to start somewhere so relax with the whole thing about local tournaments not meaning anything. If they mean something to myself or my kid it shouldn't make a lick of difference to you and it doesn't.

> It's not a harsh statement or even to meant an insult. It is just reality once a kid gets older or is good enough to compete in bigger events it almost a complete waste of time to play US Kids. If you win week in week out you need to find harder tournaments.

>

> I also meant this as a locals tour go. Most local tours have very little officials around watching the play. When tournaments matter there are more eyeballs on everyone and you have to qualify to even play.

>

> The regional and worlds tour are ok but are really for only kids 6-12. You really though can't compare them to USGA events or invitationals out there.

You say not meant to be insulting or harsh.. but then you also say its not playing real golf courses and then you say the Worlds is okay but cant compare to USGA event..of course you cant! We all know that but the Worlds is an awesome event for that age group.

Local tours have parents as caddies who make sure that score and rules are accurate so I do not get your point about officials and eyeballs.

His kids is 9 and just starting tournament golf so there is no question of wining week to week out and there is nothing much bigger for a kid.

If his journey is like most kids that i know (unless he is protege and awesome), he probably shoots in the 50s or high 40s and every little improvement including the first win and qualification for the worlds should be celebrated - cause it is not easy

Bottom line, kids need to start somewhere so relax with the whole thing about local tournaments not meaning anything. If they mean something to myself or my kid it shouldn't make a lick of difference to you and it doesn't.

I believe most kids starting are just happy and scared as hell at their first tournaments. They're excited to finally play. The parents make it more of a big deal as to here they're playing.

US Kids it is very very easy to qualify for worlds and regional events. All you have to do is play a lot and play in the correct local tour.

If you have the will and more important willing to spend the money everyone makes it to worlds.

Most of you who have younger kids don’t understand apparently that US kids tournaments is pretty much a beginner place. I really can’t think of a tournament that is any lower then a US Kids tournament. Maybe a team golf event or junior club scramble??????

As for parents making sure the scores are correct if you believe that then you haven’t played a lot or must be one of the parents I see who decided there the rules official in the group with there kid always getting a break. Tournaments with caddies have parents who are not really honest and just plain intimidate kids. The worst offenders are always parents. Get rid of the parents add in more officials and the scores get a lot more honest and the kids actually have fun. Junior Tournaments without caddies are just better all around.

When you start to play state level events and qualifiers where age doesn’t matter without caddies it a very different experience. You also start to see those superstar kids who won every week struggle and end up quitting .

> @tiger1873 said:

> Most of you who have younger kids don’t understand apparently that US kids tournaments is pretty much a beginner place. I really can’t think of a tournament that is any lower then a US Kids tournament. Maybe a team golf event or junior club scramble??????

>

I think the disagreement is what tour, exactly, are you comparing to USKG? I can tell you in my southern metropolitan city, if my kid is 7-9 years old, USKG is definitely the better tour. Despite what you say, the best competition in my town at that age is USKG. There are, in fact, at least two more tours. Neither offers the Level of competition, strength or depth fo field that you find in USKG **_in that age group._**

If my daughter reaches collegiate golf, or even AJGA, of course the level of competition will be higher. But that’s asinine. When you are 8 years old, USKG is pretty much the class of the competition for MANY AREAS OF THE COUNTRY. So please don’t downplay it for parents just trying to get their foot in the door.

> @tiger1873 said:

> US Kids it is very very easy to qualify for worlds and regional events. All you have to do is play a lot and play in the correct local tour.

>

> If you have the will and more important willing to spend the money everyone makes it to worlds.

>

This is incorrect, as per the other post discussing US Kids Yardages.

• Like 1

> @BertGA said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > Most of you who have younger kids don’t understand apparently that US kids tournaments is pretty much a beginner place. I really can’t think of a tournament that is any lower then a US Kids tournament. Maybe a team golf event or junior club scramble??????

> >

>

> I think the disagreement is what tour, exactly, are you comparing to USKG? I can tell you in my southern metropolitan city, if my kid is 7-9 years old, USKG is definitely the better tour. Despite what you say, the best competition in my town at that age is USKG. There are, in fact, at least two more tours. Neither offers the Level of competition, strength or depth fo field that you find in USKG **_in that age group._**

>

> If my daughter reaches collegiate golf, or even AJGA, of course the level of competition will be higher. But that’s asinine. When you are 8 years old, USKG is pretty much the class of the competition for MANY AREAS OF THE COUNTRY. So please don’t downplay it for parents just trying to get their foot in the door.

Plenty of harder tours especially when the kids reach 9 and if there younger and competent they can play in the 9 year old division. I also think under that age you really talking about kids who just picked up a club.

A lot local PGA junior sections have tournaments for kids that have both harder courses and no caddies allowed. They even play 18 holes if the kid is really good they will even play 36 holes at some events like FJT junior divisions. The yardages and courses are also longer and generally much harder.

The other thing people forget is the better kids all age up and play older kids in those local PGA Junior Sectionals before they move up to higher events. You can't age up in US Kids and in a lot cases the kids maturing faster or are the oldest playing based on the date have a huge advantage and really are not challenged if they stay in the US Kids tournaments and never play older kids.