New and Improved Shaft Chart

smoky25

Any info on the Nippon Modus line? Specifically would like to see how the Modus 120 x and 130 x compare to the likes of PX 6.5 and X100s.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

> @mcc0819 said:

> Any info on the Nippon Modus line? Specifically would like to see how the Modus 120 x and 130 x compare to the likes of PX 6.5 and X100s.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18898904#Comment_18898904

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> > @mcc0819 said:

> > Any info on the Nippon Modus line? Specifically would like to see how the Modus 120 x and 130 x compare to the likes of PX 6.5 and X100s.

>

> https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18898904#Comment_18898904

>

Howard, thank you! I can't seem to fully comprehend that chart and numbers. Can you briefly elaborate?

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

> @mcc0819 said:

> > @"Howard Jones" said:

> > > @mcc0819 said:

> > > Any info on the Nippon Modus line? Specifically would like to see how the Modus 120 x and 130 x compare to the likes of PX 6.5 and X100s.

> >

> > https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18898904#Comment_18898904

> >

>

> Howard, thank you! I can't seem to fully comprehend that chart and numbers. Can you briefly elaborate?

This should help you understand the chart.

http://www.golfwrx.com/73753/wishon-shaft-frequency-can-be-misleading/

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @mcc0819 said:

> > > @"Howard Jones" said:

> > > > @mcc0819 said:

> > > > Any info on the Nippon Modus line? Specifically would like to see how the Modus 120 x and 130 x compare to the likes of PX 6.5 and X100s.

> > >

> > > https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18898904#Comment_18898904

> > >

> >

> > Howard, thank you! I can't seem to fully comprehend that chart and numbers. Can you briefly elaborate?

>

> This should help you understand the chart.

> http://www.golfwrx.com/73753/wishon-shaft-frequency-can-be-misleading/

Great article!

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

• 3 weeks later...

> @rfarrell51 said:

> Any frequency comparisons for Recoil graphite? Is it that much different to not include? Looking at 780 F4 or 950 F4

its not a good way to compare shafts, thats why there is no update of the chart, but since you ask, 780 ES SMAC F4 as #5 iron has a butt CPM of 304. (i dont have any specs on 950 F4)

KBS TOUR / R flex 110 grams Tapers has 306 CPM as reference, but again, this is NOT a good way to compare different shafts.

zxrvqxs9e969.png

Howard or Stuart, is it possible to have a 7 iron swing of 88mph and feel comfortable hitting a R400 iron shaft? I built a 7 iron at 1/2 inch over with a Dynamic Gold Lite R400 and it feels great. I recently had a lesson and to work on some hand flip issues and this combination helps me feel like I'm not swinging out of my shoes to get the club through the ball. Is it possible this could work? I was hitting into a net, so I didn't see the ball flight except on a computer screen.

> @mesegrn said:

> Howard or Stuart, is it possible to have a 7 iron swing of 88mph and feel comfortable hitting a R400 iron shaft? I built a 7 iron at 1/2 inch over with a Dynamic Gold Lite R400 and it feels great. I recently had a lesson and to work on some hand flip issues and this combination helps me feel like I'm not swinging out of my shoes to get the club through the ball. Is it possible this could work? I was hitting into a net, so I didn't see the ball flight except on a computer screen.

Certainly, very possible. Lots of different ways that the feels from the shaft can influence the swing - either for better or worse. The actual results are the only thing that really matters. Just be aware that for such "feel" based improvements, it is possible for old habits to reassert themselves as you get more used to the new feel - but not always - you just never know.

What shaft are you coming from?

> @mesegrn said:

> I'm coming from a Project X 5.5 at standard length. The release just feels differently in my hands versus the Dynamic Gold.

The only thing I might suggest (if you haven't already) is play around with different weights as well as flexes. Shaft weight (and swing weight as well) can potentially have an influence on the general rhythm and tempo and release timing. Usually more so than flex.

• Like 1

I’m trying to stay in the 115 weight range in order to go the +1/2 inch. I think a standard 130 weight would be to heavy at that length don’t you? I have basic club building skills so trying to make it easier on myself as well I guess. Like you said, I’ll play around with some variations to see what feels and releases better.

> @mesegrn said:

> I’m trying to stay in the 115 weight range in order to go the +1/2 inch. I think a standard 130 weight would be to heavy at that length don’t you? I have basic club building skills so trying to make it easier on myself as well I guess. Like you said, I’ll play around with some variations to see what feels and releases better.

Are you worried about swing weight? That's the only real potential correlation between shaft weight and length - but even then, most shafts are designed to swing weight similarly despite the change in weight. That general rule of thumb on how swing weight changes based on shaft weight changes is really completely useless and should be ignored.

> @mesegrn said:

> I have a tendency to get quick with my tempo, maybe the extra weight of a 130 gram shaft will help smooth me out. I guess I’ve used swing weight for so long, it’s hard to ignore it.

I wasn't suggesting you ignore it. Just don't make any assumptions about what it might be based on the shaft weight.

• 1 month later...

I play KBS C-Tapers S+ in my irons. Over the past year, work really picked up, and the amount of golfing I've done has been almost 0. Things have finally cooled down, but I can't hit my irons to save my life anymore. When I was playing often and hitting the range, I had no problem swingin the S+ C-Tapers. Now I feel like because I've lost a bit of swing speed, they aren't the shaft for me. Should I just drop down to the S C-Taper or should I try out the C-Taper lite X? I play in windy conditions almost 90% of the time (20-30mph winds) and like to keep the ball low. If I had anywhere near my to test the two, I would, but because of where I live, I don't. Any advice is greatly appreciated as always.

> @Always_rough said:

> I play KBS C-Tapers S+ in my irons. Over the past year, work really picked up, and the amount of golfing I've done has been almost 0. Things have finally cooled down, but I can't hit my irons to save my life anymore. When I was playing often and hitting the range, I had no problem swingin the S+ C-Tapers. Now I feel like because I've lost a bit of swing speed, they aren't the shaft for me. Should I just drop down to the S C-Taper or should I try out the C-Taper lite X? I play in windy conditions almost 90% of the time (20-30mph winds) and like to keep the ball low. If I had anywhere near my to test the two, I would, but because of where I live, I don't. Any advice is greatly appreciated as always.

This tread is not a good one for questions like that, and your own guess-works is just as good as anyone elses, but if you do your own club making, consider soft stepping the set you have 2x.....All shafts lighter and softer with a low launch profile would fit the bill to answer your question, but how much lighter and softer, only testing can tell.

or maybe the short end is "ok"? but the mid and long the issue?. Then look into 3/8" sets, its tons of treads about them

• 4 weeks later...

What is the best X still composite iron shaft? I am very unfamiliar. Is it even worth looking into?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> What is the best X still composite iron shaft? I am very unfamiliar. Is it even worth looking into?

There is no objective way to evaluate what is 'best'. The answer can be different for everyone. There are, however quite a lot of very good quality composite iron shafts to choose from with a wide range of both weights and stiffness profiles.

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > What is the best X still composite iron shaft? I am very unfamiliar. Is it even worth looking into?

>

> There is no objective way to evaluate what is 'best'. The answer can be different for everyone. There are, however quite a lot of very good quality composite iron shafts to choose from with a wide range of both weights and stiffness profiles.

Fair enough, I guess I was not specific enough. I am wondering what "good" players with faster swings speeds tend to go to for a composite shaft. There are a number of companies with shafts, but they are not readily available to try.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Stuart_G said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > What is the best X still composite iron shaft? I am very unfamiliar. Is it even worth looking into?

> >

> > There is no objective way to evaluate what is 'best'. The answer can be different for everyone. There are, however quite a lot of very good quality composite iron shafts to choose from with a wide range of both weights and stiffness profiles.

>

> Fair enough, I guess I was not specific enough. I am wondering what "good" players with faster swings speeds tend to go to for a composite shaft. There are a number of companies with shafts, but they are not readily available to try.

The more popular options, at least for the stronger members needing heavier weight shafts (90 - 125 gm range), tend to be the UST Recoil's (a few different models to choose from) and the Aerotech Steelfibers. They can even sometimes be found in the OEM fitting carts a retail outlets or with demo-day reps to give you the opportunity to try them out first.

Other honorable mentions can be found in this thread:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1790414/graphite-shafts-for-players-irons

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. Great thread. I currently play AMT tour white x-100’s. How do the AMT tour white’s compare to DG? I like the shafts but do not love them. Occasionally I tend to overswing the club and I think it’s due to the weight and stiffness of the shaft. I also tend to balloon some shots in the wind. I was thinking of soft stepping the AMT’s but after reading this thread, I am thinking of trying out the PX 6.0’s. Is this a logical starting point?

Thank you

> @Negncic said:

> Wow. Great thread. I currently play AMT tour white x-100’s. How do the AMT tour white’s compare to DG? I like the shafts but do not love them. Occasionally I tend to over swing the club and I think it’s due to the weight and stiffness of the shaft. I also tend to balloon some shots in the wind. I was thinking of soft stepping the AMT’s but after reading this thread, I am thinking of trying out the PX 6.0’s. Is this a logical starting point?

>

> Thank you

AMT should be like the classic DG for flex, but weight is a more important parameter.

Over-swinging COULD BE lack of shaft weight, and it should be easy to figure out, simply by adding lead tape "head to grip direction" with the difference there is UP to your #9 iron.

Start by finding the middle of the shaft, and set a mark on the middle of the lead tape, and align those marks so the lead tape is distributed from the middle of the shaft and bot ways against head and grip

If shaft weight is the issue, going PX 6.0 want solve it. PX 6.0 is 120 grams uncut and equal to your #5 iron, so you might use that one for the "lead tape test" and add 10 grams to make the #5 iron shaft equal in weight to your #9. Head weight is also part of it all, so you have to ask yourself, are you able to FEEL both the shaft and the head at the top of the swing? is one of them is to dominant, its not good.

Shaft weight is what gives us feed back of the shafts angle at the top, so if we cant feel the shaft, only the head or mostly the head, over swinging is hard to prevent.

Try to add lead tape to your #5 iron SHAFT, and FEEL the difference during transition and if that can solve your over swinging.

Since total weight/shaft weight also makes a difference for our access to the ball, wait until that issue is solved or cleared out before you judge ball flight, who might be solved by stronger lofts if its still present.

PS! PX 6.0 is STIFFER than DG S300 or AMT White S300, so if you feel that flex is to stiff now, there is 2 reasons for why PX 6.0 is the wrong direction (both weight and flex)

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> > @Negncic said:

> > Wow. Great thread. I currently play AMT tour white x-100’s. How do the AMT tour white’s compare to DG? I like the shafts but do not love them. Occasionally I tend to over swing the club and I think it’s due to the weight and stiffness of the shaft. I also tend to balloon some shots in the wind. I was thinking of soft stepping the AMT’s but after reading this thread, I am thinking of trying out the PX 6.0’s. Is this a logical starting point?

> >

> > Thank you

>

> AMT should be like the classic DG for flex, but weight is a more important parameter.

> Over-swinging COULD BE lack of shaft weight, and it should be easy to figure out, simply by adding lead tape "head to grip direction" with the difference there is UP to your #9 iron.

> Start by finding the middle of the shaft, and set a mark on the middle of the lead tape, and align those marks so the lead tape is distributed from the middle of the shaft and bot ways against head and grip

>

> If shaft weight is the issue, going PX 6.0 want solve it. PX 6.0 is 120 grams uncut and equal to your #5 iron, so you might use that one for the "lead tape test" and add 10 grams to make the #5 iron shaft equal in weight to your #9. Head weight is also part of it all, so you have to ask yourself, are you able to FEEL both the shaft and the head at the top of the swing? is one of them is to dominant, its not good.

> Shaft weight is what gives us feed back of the shafts angle at the top, so if we cant feel the shaft, only the head or mostly the head, over swinging is hard to prevent.

>

> Try to add lead tape to your #5 iron SHAFT, and FEEL the difference during transition and if that can solve your over swinging.

> Since total weight/shaft weight also makes a difference for our access to the ball, wait until that issue is solved or cleared out before you judge ball flight, who might be solved by stronger lofts if its still present.

>

> PS! PX 6.0 is STIFFER than DG S300 or AMT White S300, so if you feel that flex is to stiff now, there is 2 reasons for why PX 6.0 is the wrong direction (both weight and flex)

Thanks for the help. I am going to try the lead tape and see how that feels. I think I am over swinging by trying to overpower the shaft sometimes. It could be my right shoulder comes into play too much, but that’s something I have to figure out. As far as the flex goes, I am playing the x-100 not the s300’s so the PX 6.0 should be a step down from the x-100.