Junior scores

CaptJosh

> @tiger1873 said:

> As for parents making sure the scores are correct if you believe that then you haven’t played a lot or must be one of the parents I see who decided there the rules official in the group with there kid always getting a break. Tournaments with caddies have parents who are not really honest and just plain intimidate kids. The worst offenders are always parents. Get rid of the parents add in more officials and the scores get a lot more honest and the kids actually have fun. Junior Tournaments without caddies are just better all around.

Tend to agree here. I dont think you need more officials. Maybe just get rid of the caddies and move the speculators to the cart path. We have never played USKG, but my daughter played in some tournaments like USKG. The caddie parents were some of the worst.

On their phone and rattling the bag while others hit.

Arguing with their kids

Arguing other kids about their scores.

One Dad was ready to fight this 12 yo about her score. It was sad. Other parents had to step and call the director.

> @tiger1873 said:

> US Kids it is very very easy to qualify for worlds and regional events. All you have to do is play a lot and play in the correct local tour.

>

> If you have the will and more important willing to spend the money everyone makes it to worlds.

>

> Most of you who have younger kids don’t understand apparently that US kids tournaments is pretty much a beginner place. I really can’t think of a tournament that is any lower then a US Kids tournament. Maybe a team golf event or junior club scramble??????

>

> As for parents making sure the scores are correct if you believe that then you haven’t played a lot or must be one of the parents I see who decided there the rules official in the group with there kid always getting a break. Tournaments with caddies have parents who are not really honest and just plain intimidate kids. The worst offenders are always parents. Get rid of the parents add in more officials and the scores get a lot more honest and the kids actually have fun. Junior Tournaments without caddies are just better all around.

>

> When you start to play state level events and qualifiers where age doesn’t matter without caddies it a very different experience. You also start to see those superstar kids who won every week struggle and end up quitting .

>

For girls it is, for guys it is not.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > As for parents making sure the scores are correct if you believe that then you haven’t played a lot or must be one of the parents I see who decided there the rules official in the group with there kid always getting a break. Tournaments with caddies have parents who are not really honest and just plain intimidate kids. The worst offenders are always parents. Get rid of the parents add in more officials and the scores get a lot more honest and the kids actually have fun. Junior Tournaments without caddies are just better all around.

>

> Tend to agree here. I dont think you need more officials. Maybe just get rid of the caddies and move the speculators to the cart path. We have never played USKG, but my daughter played in some tournaments like USKG. The caddie parents were some of the worst.

> On their phone and rattling the bag while others hit.

> Arguing with their kids

> Arguing other kids about their scores.

> One Dad was ready to fight this 12 yo about her score. It was sad. Other parents had to step and call the director.

>

>

My daughter is in college now so it's been a while, but in my experience a lot of these "nightmare parent-caddy" stories are overblown. We certainly saw our share of obnoxious parents along the way, but overwhelmingly our experiences with US Kids tournaments were very pleasant. I enjoyed the opportunity to be out there on the bag for my daughter and having the opportunity to be a part of it with her. Was a tremendous bonding experience.

US Kids tournaments are great IMO. They provide an excellent starting point, especially for the younger ages with age appropriate yardages. The level of competition varies greatly. Geographic areas with higher participation rates can be pretty competitive, even at the local levels, whereas some areas will have mostly beginners and few players.

As the kids make progress, Regionals and Worlds can be a great experience. We both still have friendships all over the country from those events.

Theres plenty of time for AJGA and USGA once they're teenagers if they've got what it takes.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

You always tend to preach and are quite negative - I don't get that but anyway.

> US Kids it is very very easy to qualify for worlds and regional events. All you have to do is play a lot and play in the correct local tour. >

It is not easy for boys and especially in the 10-12 age group. You need to win your local tour and now probably need to score in the mid 70s. You could drive around and chase status but you still need to able to shoot low scores.

> Most of you who have younger kids don’t understand apparently that US kids tournaments is pretty much a beginner place. I really can’t think of a tournament that is any lower then a US Kids tournament. Maybe a team golf event or junior club scramble??????

>

Also for 12 and under US kids is the biggest golf tourney, that actually culminates in a goal.. i.e. play and compete against the best in your age bracket at the Worlds. That is pretty cool and is a great learning and stepping stone for kids.

I have looked at plenty of other tours either locally or even nationally like the The Hurricane tour for kids under 12. Nothing competes to US kids. Note .. I said under under 12 yr old and that is what we are talking about since his son is 9. Also remember not everyone lives in Florida, California or Texas. Do not give FJT as an example. That is not helpful for the guy from the mid west or north east.

This past weekend there were 2 kids playing Hurricane 11–13 division while over 13 kids played the local 12 yr division and another 12-15 kids each in the 11 and and 13-14 division. The winning score was par in US kids and avg of mid 80 in Hurricane. That is the same for the local pga run tours as well. I think it is obvious which is better and attracts the top kids.

>

You again presume that only you have played plenty of tournaments etc. You show ignorance by using that as a crutch. I only say this cause this is the second time we have discussed something and you have tried to prove your point by insinuating that I/my Jr golf do not have enough tournament experience.

Anyway, it is unfortunate that your experience with other parents in Jr golf has been that poor. Fortunately for me, through all the, state, invitationals, locals, regional and worlds that we played at US kids and other tours, I have made a bunch of friends that are honest, that can share a beer and cheer for each others child. I guess if you are not negative, people treat you in a similar manner.

> When you start to play state level events and qualifiers where age doesn’t matter without caddies it a very different experience. You also start to see those superstar kids who won every week struggle and end up quitting .

Again..don’t assume that only your child is playing state invitational without caddies. I will tell you that the same kids who were shooting low scores in US Kids are the kids who shoot low - because they have golf skill and knowledge. Scores do change given growth patterns, spurts, interest, dedication, practice..but that has nothing to do with having a a caddy or age. Golf is a hard sport and getting that incremental improvement to win day in day out is hard.

The kid is just playing his first tournament, so let him savor the experience, stop being so negative. I still remember when my son was introduced in his first tournament on first tee with over 6 pair of eye looking at him tee it up. I had goose bumps, I cant imagine what my little kid was going through.

> @dpb5031 said:

> > @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > As for parents making sure the scores are correct if you believe that then you haven’t played a lot or must be one of the parents I see who decided there the rules official in the group with there kid always getting a break. Tournaments with caddies have parents who are not really honest and just plain intimidate kids. The worst offenders are always parents. Get rid of the parents add in more officials and the scores get a lot more honest and the kids actually have fun. Junior Tournaments without caddies are just better all around.

> >

> > Tend to agree here. I dont think you need more officials. Maybe just get rid of the caddies and move the speculators to the cart path. We have never played USKG, but my daughter played in some tournaments like USKG. The caddie parents were some of the worst.

> > On their phone and rattling the bag while others hit.

> > Arguing with their kids

> > Arguing other kids about their scores.

> > One Dad was ready to fight this 12 yo about her score. It was sad. Other parents had to step and call the director.

> >

> >

>

> My daughter is in college now so it's been a while, but in my experience a lot of these "nightmare parent-caddy" stories are overblown. We certainly saw our share of obnoxious parents along the way, but overwhelmingly our experiences with US Kids tournaments were very pleasant. I enjoyed the opportunity to be out there on the bag for my daughter and having the opportunity to be a part of it with her. Was a tremendous bonding experience.

>

> US Kids tournaments are great IMO. They provide an excellent starting point, especially for the younger ages with age appropriate yardages. The level of competition varies greatly. Geographic areas with higher participation rates can be pretty competitive, even at the local levels, whereas some areas will have mostly beginners and few players.

> As the kids make progress, Regionals and Worlds can be a great experience. We both still have friendships all over the country from those events.

>

> Theres plenty of time for AJGA and USGA once they're teenagers if they've got what it takes.

My son's first USKG tournament ever....

We are on a green putting and there is an adjacent green 50 yards away in the other direction. 2 Parents walking with their older kids. All of a sudden we hear "You nothing but a cheater. I am going to beat your bleep bleep bleep." Dad starts chasing the other dad across the green. Guy being chased runs off and we don't see him again. Don't know what happened after that, but my eyes were wide with some strange thoughts.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @tiger1873 said:

> US Kids it is very very easy to qualify for worlds and regional events. All you have to do is play a lot and play in the correct local tour.

>

> If you have the will and more important willing to spend the money everyone makes it to worlds.

>

This is a truly ridiculous statement that is without merit. My son has played in 6 different seasons of USKids and never once qualified for worlds and we have to drive two hours to each tour that is closest due to our geographic situation (and we are in a major metropolitan area). The tour we frequent the most has two players who are both under par players so this whole idea that it is just go out and play and find the right tour is truly ridiculous.

> >

> >

>

> My daughter is in college now so it's been a while, but in my experience a lot of these "nightmare parent-caddy" stories are overblown. We certainly saw our share of obnoxious parents along the way, but overwhelmingly our experiences with US Kids tournaments were very pleasant. I enjoyed the opportunity to be out there on the bag for my daughter and having the opportunity to be a part of it with her. Was a tremendous bonding experience.

>

> US Kids tournaments are great IMO. They provide an excellent starting point, especially for the younger ages with age appropriate yardages. The level of competition varies greatly. Geographic areas with higher participation rates can be pretty competitive, even at the local levels, whereas some areas will have mostly beginners and few players.

> As the kids make progress, Regionals and Worlds can be a great experience. We both still have friendships all over the country from those events.

>

> Theres plenty of time for AJGA and USGA once they're teenagers if they've got what it takes.

I can tell nothing about my story was overblown and this wasn't USKG.

> > On their phone and rattling the bag while others hit. --- Mom was gossiping most of the time. Meanwhile her sister thought it was ok to bring out the camera and get in the kids faces with the camera (Yes, I did say something more than once.)

> > Arguing with their kids - In three tournaments this summer. In happened in our groups every time.

> > Arguing other kids about their scores. - Seemed every parent and speculator was an official scorekeeper.

> > One Dad was ready to fight this 12 yo about her score. It was sad. Other parents had to step and call the director.

Daughter will not play again in that tour.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > > @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > As for parents making sure the scores are correct if you believe that then you haven’t played a lot or must be one of the parents I see who decided there the rules official in the group with there kid always getting a break. Tournaments with caddies have parents who are not really honest and just plain intimidate kids. The worst offenders are always parents. Get rid of the parents add in more officials and the scores get a lot more honest and the kids actually have fun. Junior Tournaments without caddies are just better all around.

> > >

> > > Tend to agree here. I dont think you need more officials. Maybe just get rid of the caddies and move the speculators to the cart path. We have never played USKG, but my daughter played in some tournaments like USKG. The caddie parents were some of the worst.

> > > On their phone and rattling the bag while others hit.

> > > Arguing with their kids

> > > Arguing other kids about their scores.

> > > One Dad was ready to fight this 12 yo about her score. It was sad. Other parents had to step and call the director.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > My daughter is in college now so it's been a while, but in my experience a lot of these "nightmare parent-caddy" stories are overblown. We certainly saw our share of obnoxious parents along the way, but overwhelmingly our experiences with US Kids tournaments were very pleasant. I enjoyed the opportunity to be out there on the bag for my daughter and having the opportunity to be a part of it with her. Was a tremendous bonding experience.

> >

> > US Kids tournaments are great IMO. They provide an excellent starting point, especially for the younger ages with age appropriate yardages. The level of competition varies greatly. Geographic areas with higher participation rates can be pretty competitive, even at the local levels, whereas some areas will have mostly beginners and few players.

> > As the kids make progress, Regionals and Worlds can be a great experience. We both still have friendships all over the country from those events.

> >

> > Theres plenty of time for AJGA and USGA once they're teenagers if they've got what it takes.

>

> My son's first USKG tournament ever....

>

> We are on a green putting and there is an adjacent green 50 yards away in the other direction. 2 Parents walking with their older kids. All of a sudden we hear "You nothing but a cheater. I am going to beat your bleep bleep bleep." Dad starts chasing the other dad across the green. Guy being chased runs off and we don't see him again. Don't know what happened after that, but my eyes were wide with some strange thoughts.

That's hilarious. We should start a separate thread with funny/obnoxious parent stories. I've got a few good ones...l!

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @BertGA said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > Most of you who have younger kids don’t understand apparently that US kids tournaments is pretty much a beginner place. I really can’t think of a tournament that is any lower then a US Kids tournament. Maybe a team golf event or junior club scramble??????

> > >

> >

> > I think the disagreement is what tour, exactly, are you comparing to USKG? I can tell you in my southern metropolitan city, if my kid is 7-9 years old, USKG is definitely the better tour. Despite what you say, the best competition in my town at that age is USKG. There are, in fact, at least two more tours. Neither offers the Level of competition, strength or depth fo field that you find in USKG **_in that age group._**

> >

> > If my daughter reaches collegiate golf, or even AJGA, of course the level of competition will be higher. But that’s asinine. When you are 8 years old, USKG is pretty much the class of the competition for MANY AREAS OF THE COUNTRY. So please don’t downplay it for parents just trying to get their foot in the door.

>

> Plenty of harder tours especially when the kids reach 9 and if there younger and competent they can play in the 9 year old division. I also think under that age you really talking about kids who just picked up a club.

>

> A lot local PGA junior sections have tournaments for kids that have both harder courses and no caddies allowed. They even play 18 holes if the kid is really good they will even play 36 holes at some events like FJT junior divisions. The yardages and courses are also longer and generally much harder.

>

> The other thing people forget is the better kids all age up and play older kids in those local PGA Junior Sectionals before they move up to higher events. You can't age up in US Kids and in a lot cases the kids maturing faster or are the oldest playing based on the date have a huge advantage and really are not challenged if they stay in the US Kids tournaments and never play older kids.

Our PGA section junior tour is for kids 11-18 years old. From the handbook:

“Tour is open to all males and females between the ages of 11-18. Age is determined upon the first round of a tournament.”

You keep quoting all these better tours out there for 9 year old golfers, please let me know what options we should be exploring.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > US Kids it is very very easy to qualify for worlds and regional events. All you have to do is play a lot and play in the correct local tour.

> >

> > If you have the will and more important willing to spend the money everyone makes it to worlds.

> >

> This is a truly ridiculous statement that is without merit. My son has played in 6 different seasons of USKids and never once qualified for worlds and we have to drive two hours to each tour that is closest due to our geographic situation (and we are in a major metropolitan area). The tour we frequent the most has two players who are both under par players so this whole idea that it is just go out and play and find the right tour is truly ridiculous.

What would his ranking have been under the new scoring / points format?

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

>

>

> > >

> > >

> >

> > My daughter is in college now so it's been a while, but in my experience a lot of these "nightmare parent-caddy" stories are overblown. We certainly saw our share of obnoxious parents along the way, but overwhelmingly our experiences with US Kids tournaments were very pleasant. I enjoyed the opportunity to be out there on the bag for my daughter and having the opportunity to be a part of it with her. Was a tremendous bonding experience.

> >

> > US Kids tournaments are great IMO. They provide an excellent starting point, especially for the younger ages with age appropriate yardages. The level of competition varies greatly. Geographic areas with higher participation rates can be pretty competitive, even at the local levels, whereas some areas will have mostly beginners and few players.

> > As the kids make progress, Regionals and Worlds can be a great experience. We both still have friendships all over the country from those events.

> >

> > Theres plenty of time for AJGA and USGA once they're teenagers if they've got what it takes.

>

> I can tell nothing about my story was overblown and this wasn't USKG.

> > > On their phone and rattling the bag while others hit. --- Mom was gossiping most of the time. Meanwhile her sister thought it was ok to bring out the camera and get in the kids faces with the camera (Yes, I did say something more than once.)

> > > Arguing with their kids - In three tournaments this summer. In happened in our groups every time.

> > > Arguing other kids about their scores. - Seemed every parent and speculator was an official scorekeeper.

> > > One Dad was ready to fight this 12 yo about her score. It was sad. Other parents had to step and call the director.

> Daughter will not play again in that tour.

Did the tour happen to be in Texas? I seen very very similar stuff there that you would not believe . I was talking to a buddy recently out there and he said it worse than ever. You know things are bad when scores go down in cold rainy winter days. Not nearly as bad in florida. They pull stuff but it's not over the top like there.

> @tiger1873 said:

> Did the tour happen to be in Texas? I seen very very similar stuff there that you would not believe . I was talking to a buddy recently out there and he said it worse than ever. You know things are bad when scores go down in cold rainy winter days. Not nearly as bad in florida. They pull stuff but it's not over the top like there.

Virginia. Just some of the stuff you wouldn't believe. One mom belittled her daughter the whole time. I was thinking that's probably the reason Dad isn't here.

If I'm following my daughter I'm usually the forecaddie. Tell her at the beginning each time. Ask the other girls about lies, drops, etc. Don't even look at me or your brother. We're the best forecaddies in the business though. It's how I worked out all of my nervous energy.

> @BertGA said:

> You keep quoting all these better tours out there for 9 year old golfers, please let me know what options we should be exploring.

>

A lot this depends on where you live. In Florida you can play FJT Junior events at 9 and they play 36 holes without caddies. There also very competitive at that age too. Other states like California and Texas as similar with tournaments. Some people probably have to travel a lot but that is a given in some areas.

Best and cheapest tournaments are put on by state golf associations and pga sections in some cases though you may need to travel to other states to compete.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > US Kids it is very very easy to qualify for worlds and regional events. All you have to do is play a lot and play in the correct local tour.

> > >

> > > If you have the will and more important willing to spend the money everyone makes it to worlds.

> > >

> > This is a truly ridiculous statement that is without merit. My son has played in 6 different seasons of USKids and never once qualified for worlds and we have to drive two hours to each tour that is closest due to our geographic situation (and we are in a major metropolitan area). The tour we frequent the most has two players who are both under par players so this whole idea that it is just go out and play and find the right tour is truly ridiculous.

>

> What would his ranking have been under the new scoring / points format?

He would be sitting on a 7 right now. I am curious where he would be if he had played this fall. He played terrible golf last year, he was in a funk and just not performing well, turned it around this Spring and started played solid, really hitting his stride this Summer in PGA Jr and some other events, then we got screwed out of having a tour in our hometown and it was too late to join another tour so no Summer tour for him and then he decided to not do one this Fall. The way they cancelled the tour in our hometown really left him with a bad taste in his mouth. Last time I put him on USKids distances at our home course he would be an 8/9 based on scores.

> @BertGA said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @BertGA said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > Most of you who have younger kids don’t understand apparently that US kids tournaments is pretty much a beginner place. I really can’t think of a tournament that is any lower then a US Kids tournament. Maybe a team golf event or junior club scramble??????

> > > >

> > >

> > > I think the disagreement is what tour, exactly, are you comparing to USKG? I can tell you in my southern metropolitan city, if my kid is 7-9 years old, USKG is definitely the better tour. Despite what you say, the best competition in my town at that age is USKG. There are, in fact, at least two more tours. Neither offers the Level of competition, strength or depth fo field that you find in USKG **_in that age group._**

> > >

> > > If my daughter reaches collegiate golf, or even AJGA, of course the level of competition will be higher. But that’s asinine. When you are 8 years old, USKG is pretty much the class of the competition for MANY AREAS OF THE COUNTRY. So please don’t downplay it for parents just trying to get their foot in the door.

> >

> > Plenty of harder tours especially when the kids reach 9 and if there younger and competent they can play in the 9 year old division. I also think under that age you really talking about kids who just picked up a club.

> >

> > A lot local PGA junior sections have tournaments for kids that have both harder courses and no caddies allowed. They even play 18 holes if the kid is really good they will even play 36 holes at some events like FJT junior divisions. The yardages and courses are also longer and generally much harder.

> >

> > The other thing people forget is the better kids all age up and play older kids in those local PGA Junior Sectionals before they move up to higher events. You can't age up in US Kids and in a lot cases the kids maturing faster or are the oldest playing based on the date have a huge advantage and really are not challenged if they stay in the US Kids tournaments and never play older kids.

>

>

> Our PGA section junior tour is for kids 11-18 years old. From the handbook:

> “Tour is open to all males and females between the ages of 11-18. Age is determined upon the first round of a tournament.”

>

> You keep quoting all these better tours out there for 9 year old golfers, please let me know what options we should be exploring.

>

In Bama we have BGA that has an 11 under section where a competitive 9 year old can hold their own. Very well run events on great courses, regret not doing it this year.

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > Did the tour happen to be in Texas? I seen very very similar stuff there that you would not believe . I was talking to a buddy recently out there and he said it worse than ever. You know things are bad when scores go down in cold rainy winter days. Not nearly as bad in florida. They pull stuff but it's not over the top like there.

>

> Virginia. Just some of the stuff you wouldn't believe. One mom belittled her daughter the whole time. I was thinking that's probably the reason Dad isn't here.

> If I'm following my daughter I'm usually the forecaddie. Tell her at the beginning each time. Ask the other girls about lies, drops, etc. Don't even look at me or your brother. We're the best forecaddies in the business though. It's how I worked out all of my nervous energy.

>

I guess it is all over. Wait till the kids don't have caddies. With girls it great gossip after the round you wouldn't believe what the girls say about other parents who act like that.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > Did the tour happen to be in Texas? I seen very very similar stuff there that you would not believe . I was talking to a buddy recently out there and he said it worse than ever. You know things are bad when scores go down in cold rainy winter days. Not nearly as bad in florida. They pull stuff but it's not over the top like there.

> >

> > Virginia. Just some of the stuff you wouldn't believe. One mom belittled her daughter the whole time. I was thinking that's probably the reason Dad isn't here.

> > If I'm following my daughter I'm usually the forecaddie. Tell her at the beginning each time. Ask the other girls about lies, drops, etc. Don't even look at me or your brother. We're the best forecaddies in the business though. It's how I worked out all of my nervous energy.

> >

>

> I guess it is all over. Wait till the kids don't have caddies. With girls it great gossip after the round you wouldn't believe what the girls say about other parents who act like that.

She turned 14 this summer and was her first experience. Trust me I got the eye rolls. High school has been easier for her. No one follows them around for matches.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @BertGA said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > Most of you who have younger kids don’t understand apparently that US kids tournaments is pretty much a beginner place. I really can’t think of a tournament that is any lower then a US Kids tournament. Maybe a team golf event or junior club scramble??????

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I think the disagreement is what tour, exactly, are you comparing to USKG? I can tell you in my southern metropolitan city, if my kid is 7-9 years old, USKG is definitely the better tour. Despite what you say, the best competition in my town at that age is USKG. There are, in fact, at least two more tours. Neither offers the Level of competition, strength or depth fo field that you find in USKG **_in that age group._**

> > > >

> > > > If my daughter reaches collegiate golf, or even AJGA, of course the level of competition will be higher. But that’s asinine. When you are 8 years old, USKG is pretty much the class of the competition for MANY AREAS OF THE COUNTRY. So please don’t downplay it for parents just trying to get their foot in the door.

> > >

> > > Plenty of harder tours especially when the kids reach 9 and if there younger and competent they can play in the 9 year old division. I also think under that age you really talking about kids who just picked up a club.

> > >

> > > A lot local PGA junior sections have tournaments for kids that have both harder courses and no caddies allowed. They even play 18 holes if the kid is really good they will even play 36 holes at some events like FJT junior divisions. The yardages and courses are also longer and generally much harder.

> > >

> > > The other thing people forget is the better kids all age up and play older kids in those local PGA Junior Sectionals before they move up to higher events. You can't age up in US Kids and in a lot cases the kids maturing faster or are the oldest playing based on the date have a huge advantage and really are not challenged if they stay in the US Kids tournaments and never play older kids.

> >

> >

> > Our PGA section junior tour is for kids 11-18 years old. From the handbook:

> > “Tour is open to all males and females between the ages of 11-18. Age is determined upon the first round of a tournament.”

> >

> > You keep quoting all these better tours out there for 9 year old golfers, please let me know what options we should be exploring.

> >

>

> In Bama we have BGA that has an 11 under section where a competitive 9 year old can hold their own. Very well run events on great courses, regret not doing it this year.

We are going to try GA Junior Golf this Fall. She’s tired of the player/caddie drama in our USKG. From what I can tell the courses will be similar, but competition not as deep in her age group. Frankly, that’s fine. I just want her out there competing. She turns 11 in a few months, by next Spring needs to get her feet wet in 18 hole competitions. Many more options at 11.

> @dpb5031 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > As for parents making sure the scores are correct if you believe that then you haven’t played a lot or must be one of the parents I see who decided there the rules official in the group with there kid always getting a break. Tournaments with caddies have parents who are not really honest and just plain intimidate kids. The worst offenders are always parents. Get rid of the parents add in more officials and the scores get a lot more honest and the kids actually have fun. Junior Tournaments without caddies are just better all around.

> > > >

> > > > Tend to agree here. I dont think you need more officials. Maybe just get rid of the caddies and move the speculators to the cart path. We have never played USKG, but my daughter played in some tournaments like USKG. The caddie parents were some of the worst.

> > > > On their phone and rattling the bag while others hit.

> > > > Arguing with their kids

> > > > Arguing other kids about their scores.

> > > > One Dad was ready to fight this 12 yo about her score. It was sad. Other parents had to step and call the director.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > My daughter is in college now so it's been a while, but in my experience a lot of these "nightmare parent-caddy" stories are overblown. We certainly saw our share of obnoxious parents along the way, but overwhelmingly our experiences with US Kids tournaments were very pleasant. I enjoyed the opportunity to be out there on the bag for my daughter and having the opportunity to be a part of it with her. Was a tremendous bonding experience.

> > >

> > > US Kids tournaments are great IMO. They provide an excellent starting point, especially for the younger ages with age appropriate yardages. The level of competition varies greatly. Geographic areas with higher participation rates can be pretty competitive, even at the local levels, whereas some areas will have mostly beginners and few players.

> > > As the kids make progress, Regionals and Worlds can be a great experience. We both still have friendships all over the country from those events.

> > >

> > > Theres plenty of time for AJGA and USGA once they're teenagers if they've got what it takes.

> >

> > My son's first USKG tournament ever....

> >

> > We are on a green putting and there is an adjacent green 50 yards away in the other direction. 2 Parents walking with their older kids. All of a sudden we hear "You nothing but a cheater. I am going to beat your bleep bleep bleep." Dad starts chasing the other dad across the green. Guy being chased runs off and we don't see him again. Don't know what happened after that, but my eyes were wide with some strange thoughts.

>

> That's hilarious. We should start a separate thread with funny/obnoxious parent stories. I've got a few good ones...l!

This story made me LOL. Yes , it would be a great thread topic (until you know who derails it)