anyone here able to help me stop swaying?

1Yeargolfer

i'm scooping at impact.. releasing early and hitting a lot of fat / thin. I'm mostly feeling all body taking the club back and through not trying to use my hands to hit at the ball, rather swinging through... but my hands are still so active.

is this all an effect caused by my swaying and sliding around?

[

"https://reddit.com/r/GolfSwing/comments/d1vvn0/anyone_want_to_diagnose_why_im_scooping_and/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x")

Sway is a problem. Hit shots with your feet together and that will stop you swaying or you will fall over.

AND STOP HITTING SHOTS IN FLIP FLOPS!! That is not helping.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

You flip so much, that you are thinking no hands in the takeaway, but when your arms are parallel to ground in the backswing, your hands have done nothing. Your shaft is nearly parallel as well, when it should be close to perpendicular.

Solution is a 9:3 drill with a wedge. over and over again. Shorten the backswing, keep the stance narrow. You will fly the ball just as far as you do now. And you might feel what it is like to compress the golf ball.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Wow his swing doesn't look that bad compared to a lot of people I've seen. I also struggle with swaying and have tried everything to cure it to limited success. The Pivot Pro is pretty good at letting you feel the correct leg action but the best drill so far is what was mentioned earlier - the half swing shots. Just learning to feel the correct positions doing this over and over again really works and as was stated earlier you'll hit the ball almost as far as you do with a full swing. Combining it with your feet together also helps. My biggest problem is that I never feel as though I swing back far enough, which pulls my body too far back, and therefore causes the sway to occur. I even use the half swings on the course when things aren't going well and it helps to correct things after a few practice swings or even full swings.

It looks like your right elbow is running into your ribcage on your downswing. When your upper right decelerates from running into your ribcage, centrifugal force causes your right wrist and elbow to abruptly straighten and this leads to the club head being cast at the ball.

You need to find a way to swing where your right elbow is able to get in front of your torso on the downswing while keeping/getting the clubface square to its path. Getting rid of your swaying will be a good first step.

wow a lot of interesting comments and replies!! I really appreciate the feed back. I think the best thing right now is the 3 to 9 drill with feet together.

problem is I don't feel any power or correct sequence, rhythm and timing unless i feel like i'm literally John Daly at the top ...

and about the flip flops thing.. it was my first time wearing them while practicing and believe it or not, it didn't really hinder anything i barely noticed I had them on :smiley: it was weird almost made me feel more balanced if anything.. I heard Sam Snead used to practice sometimes barefoot, so it might be a thing?

again, thank you all for the help!

3-9 drill feet together with a wedge, overall targeting backswing length and swaying off the ball problems.

also, here is a really slow driver swing trying to swing basically as smooth and easy as I could

I don't know if you can see the right elbow here, but i don't think it's crashing into my rib cage.

Barefoot is way different than flip flops.

Wearing flip-flops means you are not gripping or using the ground at all. Using the ground can help you not sway. When you setup in your posture, you should feel grounded. Like if someone pushed you, you could hold your position.

Barefoot lets you feel the ground reaction easier. I wouldn't over complicate things right now. There's a lot of stuff on ground force reactions and transition. But to start with, I'd get a stance / posture that allows you to feel your feet into the ground. On the backswing that feeling into the ground should increase in your right foot and decrease slightly in your left. Once you get to the top you should feel 70%+ on your right and 30% or less in your left foot.

Learn how to turn your tailbone towards the target on the backswing and your sternum away, while building pressure towards your right heel. Monte's tailbone towards the target, is the best way I've seen to help people get rid of swaying. Just pay attention to the ground pressure - too much pressure in the left foot going back will start a reverse pivot.

Hello> @wagolfer7 said:

> Barefoot is way different than flip flops.

> Wearing flip-flops means you are not gripping or using the ground at all. Using the ground can help you not sway. When you setup in your posture, you should feel grounded. Like if someone pushed you, you could hold your position.

>

> Barefoot lets you feel the ground reaction easier. I wouldn't over complicate things right now. There's a lot of stuff on ground force reactions and transition. But to start with, I'd get a stance / posture that allows you to feel your feet into the ground. On the backswing that feeling into the ground should increase in your right foot and decrease slightly in your left. Once you get to the top you should feel 70%+ on your right and 30% or less in your left foot.

>

> Learn how to turn your tailbone towards the target on the backswing and your sternum away, while building pressure towards your right heel. Monte's tailbone towards the target, is the best way I've seen to help people get rid of swaying. Just pay attention to the ground pressure - too much pressure in the left foot going back will start a reverse pivot.

The parts about the weight distribution towards my right foot 80% makes me feel like I need to lean my weight 80% to my trail side. But I know that’s incorrect. But at the same time, I’m having a hard time feeling weight on my trail side, without swaying there.

But I’ll keep messing with it and look up that monte drill

> @1Yeargolfer said:

> Hello> @wagolfer7 said:

> > Barefoot is way different than flip flops.

> > Wearing flip-flops means you are not gripping or using the ground at all. Using the ground can help you not sway. When you setup in your posture, you should feel grounded. Like if someone pushed you, you could hold your position.

> >

> > Barefoot lets you feel the ground reaction easier. I wouldn't over complicate things right now. There's a lot of stuff on ground force reactions and transition. But to start with, I'd get a stance / posture that allows you to feel your feet into the ground. On the backswing that feeling into the ground should increase in your right foot and decrease slightly in your left. Once you get to the top you should feel 70%+ on your right and 30% or less in your left foot.

> >

> > Learn how to turn your tailbone towards the target on the backswing and your sternum away, while building pressure towards your right heel. Monte's tailbone towards the target, is the best way I've seen to help people get rid of swaying. Just pay attention to the ground pressure - too much pressure in the left foot going back will start a reverse pivot.

>

>

>

> The parts about the weight distribution towards my right foot 80% makes me feel like I need to lean my weight 80% to my trail side. But I know that’s incorrect. But at the same time, I’m having a hard time feeling weight on my trail side, without swaying there.

>

> But I’ll keep messing with it and look up that monte drill

It's not weight distribution. It's weight pressure into the ground. You can increase the pressure in the ground without moving your actual body that direction. Work on rotating to the right (moving tailbone towards target) with a good posture and you'll feel the pressure increase under your right foot.

> @wagolfer7 said:

> > @1Yeargolfer said:

> > Hello> @wagolfer7 said:

> > > Barefoot is way different than flip flops.

> > > Wearing flip-flops means you are not gripping or using the ground at all. Using the ground can help you not sway. When you setup in your posture, you should feel grounded. Like if someone pushed you, you could hold your position.

> > >

> > > Barefoot lets you feel the ground reaction easier. I wouldn't over complicate things right now. There's a lot of stuff on ground force reactions and transition. But to start with, I'd get a stance / posture that allows you to feel your feet into the ground. On the backswing that feeling into the ground should increase in your right foot and decrease slightly in your left. Once you get to the top you should feel 70%+ on your right and 30% or less in your left foot.

> > >

> > > Learn how to turn your tailbone towards the target on the backswing and your sternum away, while building pressure towards your right heel. Monte's tailbone towards the target, is the best way I've seen to help people get rid of swaying. Just pay attention to the ground pressure - too much pressure in the left foot going back will start a reverse pivot.

> >

> >

> >

> > The parts about the weight distribution towards my right foot 80% makes me feel like I need to lean my weight 80% to my trail side. But I know that’s incorrect. But at the same time, I’m having a hard time feeling weight on my trail side, without swaying there.

> >

> > But I’ll keep messing with it and look up that monte drill

>

> It's not weight distribution. It's weight pressure into the ground. You can increase the pressure in the ground without moving your actual body that direction. Work on rotating to the right (moving tailbone towards target) with a good posture and you'll feel the pressure increase under your right foot.

right, so when I'm doing that correctly, it's basically feeling 50/50 ish.

my pressure in my lead ball of my foot, just under the big toe increases. like if I had a Jack Nicklaus type leading foot lifting and replanting into the transition that particular area increases in pressure. by no means does it feel 70/30 or more.. now if I swayed yeah, it'll feel 70/30 but for the most part it feels really even, if I'm rotating tighter in my backswing and getting that tailbone moving towards the target..

if I'm being really picky and analytical i'd say it feels 45% lead foot and 55% trail foot.

> @1Yeargolfer said:

> > @wagolfer7 said:

> > > @1Yeargolfer said:

> > > Hello> @wagolfer7 said:

> > > > Barefoot is way different than flip flops.

> > > > Wearing flip-flops means you are not gripping or using the ground at all. Using the ground can help you not sway. When you setup in your posture, you should feel grounded. Like if someone pushed you, you could hold your position.

> > > >

> > > > Barefoot lets you feel the ground reaction easier. I wouldn't over complicate things right now. There's a lot of stuff on ground force reactions and transition. But to start with, I'd get a stance / posture that allows you to feel your feet into the ground. On the backswing that feeling into the ground should increase in your right foot and decrease slightly in your left. Once you get to the top you should feel 70%+ on your right and 30% or less in your left foot.

> > > >

> > > > Learn how to turn your tailbone towards the target on the backswing and your sternum away, while building pressure towards your right heel. Monte's tailbone towards the target, is the best way I've seen to help people get rid of swaying. Just pay attention to the ground pressure - too much pressure in the left foot going back will start a reverse pivot.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > The parts about the weight distribution towards my right foot 80% makes me feel like I need to lean my weight 80% to my trail side. But I know that’s incorrect. But at the same time, I’m having a hard time feeling weight on my trail side, without swaying there.

> > >

> > > But I’ll keep messing with it and look up that monte drill

> >

> > It's not weight distribution. It's weight pressure into the ground. You can increase the pressure in the ground without moving your actual body that direction. Work on rotating to the right (moving tailbone towards target) with a good posture and you'll feel the pressure increase under your right foot.

>

>

>

> right, so when I'm doing that correctly, it's basically feeling 50/50 ish.

> my pressure in my lead ball of my foot, just under the big toe increases. like if I had a Jack Nicklaus type leading foot lifting and replanting into the transition that particular area increases in pressure. by no means does it feel 70/30 or more.. now if I swayed yeah, it'll feel 70/30 but for the most part it feels really even, if I'm rotating tighter in my backswing and getting that tailbone moving towards the target..

>

> if I'm being really picky and analytical i'd say it feels 45% lead foot and 55% trail foot.

I'm not following you. It feels like more pressure on my right foot than left on back swing to me. But it looks like I'm 50/50.

Try looking at some Manuel de la Torre vids on YouTube.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

> @1Yeargolfer said:

> i'm scooping at impact.. releasing early and hitting a lot of fat / thin. I'm mostly feeling all body taking the club back and through not trying to use my hands to hit at the ball, rather swinging through... but my hands are still so active.

> is this all an effect caused by my swaying and sliding around?

> [

"https://reddit.com/r/GolfSwing/comments/d1vvn0/anyone_want_to_diagnose_why_im_scooping_and/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x")

The root cause of the problem is the super late wrist set.

In the screen shot below, you won’t see too many good players in that position. You are suffering from an issue I see on the lesson tee every day. In an effort to take the hands and wrists out of the swing, you are forcing them to be too active.

2nko97prem3b.png

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

If you focus on your right side pulling straight behind you (right pocket, right shoulder, right lat pulling towards your right heel) then you should get rotation instead of lateral slide (movement away from the target - sway as you say). You should also have spine tilt away from the target at setup. If you are wearing a polo shirt with buttons you want the buttons pointing toward the instep/heel area of your front foot. (That will let you wind up over your back leg without any need to shift).

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter

> @"Golf Scientist" said:

> If you focus on your right side pulling straight behind you (right pocket, right shoulder, right late pulling towards your right heel) then you should get rotation instead of lateral slide (movement away from the target - sway as you say). You should also have spine tilt away from the target at setup. If you are wearing a polo shirt with buttons you want the buttons pointing toward the instep/heel area of your front foot. (That will let you wind up over your back leg without any need to shift).

I like that one a lot. Definitely a good focus to have.

> @wagolfer7 said:

> Barefoot is way different than flip flops.

> Wearing flip-flops means you are not gripping or using the ground at all. Using the ground can help you not sway. When you setup in your posture, you should feel grounded. Like if someone pushed you, you could hold your position.

>

> Barefoot lets you feel the ground reaction easier. I wouldn't over complicate things right now. There's a lot of stuff on ground force reactions and transition. But to start with, I'd get a stance / posture that allows you to feel your feet into the ground. On the backswing that feeling into the ground should increase in your right foot and decrease slightly in your left. Once you get to the top you should feel 70%+ on your right and 30% or less in your left foot.

>

> Learn how to turn your tailbone towards the target on the backswing and your sternum away, while building pressure towards your right heel. Monte's tailbone towards the target, is the best way I've seen to help people get rid of swaying. Just pay attention to the ground pressure - too much pressure in the left foot going back will start a reverse pivot.

What makes you think you can’t use the ground wearing flip flops? I can assure you that you can

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @wagolfer7 said:

> > Barefoot is way different than flip flops.

> > Wearing flip-flops means you are not gripping or using the ground at all. Using the ground can help you not sway. When you setup in your posture, you should feel grounded. Like if someone pushed you, you could hold your position.

> >

> > Barefoot lets you feel the ground reaction easier. I wouldn't over complicate things right now. There's a lot of stuff on ground force reactions and transition. But to start with, I'd get a stance / posture that allows you to feel your feet into the ground. On the backswing that feeling into the ground should increase in your right foot and decrease slightly in your left. Once you get to the top you should feel 70%+ on your right and 30% or less in your left foot.

> >

> > Learn how to turn your tailbone towards the target on the backswing and your sternum away, while building pressure towards your right heel. Monte's tailbone towards the target, is the best way I've seen to help people get rid of swaying. Just pay attention to the ground pressure - too much pressure in the left foot going back will start a reverse pivot.

>

> What makes you think you can’t use the ground wearing flip flops? I can assure you that you can

I agree that you can absolutely. But for a person not engaging the ground to start with, I think flip-flops would make it more difficult to learn to do that. And flip-flops probably not the ideal footwear to be practicing / working on golf with. But I'm sure there's an exception or different perspective on that.

> @wagolfer7 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @wagolfer7 said:

> > > Barefoot is way different than flip flops.

> > > Wearing flip-flops means you are not gripping or using the ground at all. Using the ground can help you not sway. When you setup in your posture, you should feel grounded. Like if someone pushed you, you could hold your position.

> > >

> > > Barefoot lets you feel the ground reaction easier. I wouldn't over complicate things right now. There's a lot of stuff on ground force reactions and transition. But to start with, I'd get a stance / posture that allows you to feel your feet into the ground. On the backswing that feeling into the ground should increase in your right foot and decrease slightly in your left. Once you get to the top you should feel 70%+ on your right and 30% or less in your left foot.

> > >

> > > Learn how to turn your tailbone towards the target on the backswing and your sternum away, while building pressure towards your right heel. Monte's tailbone towards the target, is the best way I've seen to help people get rid of swaying. Just pay attention to the ground pressure - too much pressure in the left foot going back will start a reverse pivot.

> >

> > What makes you think you can’t use the ground wearing flip flops? I can assure you that you can

>

> I agree that you can absolutely. But for a person not engaging the ground to start with, I think flip-flops would make it more difficult to learn to do that. And flip-flops probably not the ideal footwear to be practicing / working on golf with. But I'm sure there's an exception or different perspective on that.

They wouldn’t really affect much. Far better than many shoes people wear to the range. Flip flops are low profile with flat soles and extremely flexible. Most athletic shoes have a higher heel and would cause way larger issues than flip flops.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @wagolfer7 said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @wagolfer7 said:

> > > > Barefoot is way different than flip flops.

> > > > Wearing flip-flops means you are not gripping or using the ground at all. Using the ground can help you not sway. When you setup in your posture, you should feel grounded. Like if someone pushed you, you could hold your position.

> > > >

> > > > Barefoot lets you feel the ground reaction easier. I wouldn't over complicate things right now. There's a lot of stuff on ground force reactions and transition. But to start with, I'd get a stance / posture that allows you to feel your feet into the ground. On the backswing that feeling into the ground should increase in your right foot and decrease slightly in your left. Once you get to the top you should feel 70%+ on your right and 30% or less in your left foot.

> > > >

> > > > Learn how to turn your tailbone towards the target on the backswing and your sternum away, while building pressure towards your right heel. Monte's tailbone towards the target, is the best way I've seen to help people get rid of swaying. Just pay attention to the ground pressure - too much pressure in the left foot going back will start a reverse pivot.

> > >

> > > What makes you think you can’t use the ground wearing flip flops? I can assure you that you can

> >

> > I agree that you can absolutely. But for a person not engaging the ground to start with, I think flip-flops would make it more difficult to learn to do that. And flip-flops probably not the ideal footwear to be practicing / working on golf with. But I'm sure there's an exception or different perspective on that.

>

> They wouldn’t really affect much. Far better than many shoes people wear to the range. Flip flops are low profile with flat soles and extremely flexible. Most athletic shoes have a higher heel and would cause way larger issues than flip flops.

You would know more than I do, that's for sure. You've helped improve many more golf swings than I have. I just know, personally, I wouldn't ever practice in flip / flops when trying to work on my swing. I'd much rather just go barefoot.