2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Iron suggestions for a sweeper who needs help

CROUSE99

> @CROUSE99 said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @CROUSE99 said:

> > > I take very little to no divot with my irons. Unfortunately, I am also a poor ball striker so I need some forgiveness. I am going to try as many models as I can over the next few weeks, but would like to hear some suggestions from the golfwrx folks.

> > > Thanks!

> > > Oh, before you suggest lessons, know that I am taking lessons, but I don't know if divot taking will ever be in my future. :)

> >

> > What did your instructor suggest ?

> >

> > And doesn't he have access to some different irons to see how they would work ?

> >

> > If you're around a 10 you're probably not as poor a ball striker as you think.

> >

> > FWIW, I have the Ping G20s from 2012. Hardly an iron out there with a wider sole or more bounce and I have transitioned to a considerably shallower angle of attack with most irons. From 5-9 I barely take any grass. The higher lofted clubs, roughly PW through 60* I still dig a bit but even those leave shallower divots than before. Then again, on the PW is the G20,,,,,,,,,,

> >

> >

>

> Thanks. Unfortunately, my instructor works at a club that has no demo clubs on hand. I have had 4 different iterations of G irons and have finally admitted that they don't work that well for me. I kept trying because I like the company (and I'm a slow learner :/ )

It might have been the shaft selection available from Ping.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gdb99 said:

> I’m more of a sweeper. My Pro always told me a thin miss is better than a fat one, so it’s just how I play the game.

> I just bought the T200 irons from Titleist. Coming from 712 AP1’s. They feel better, fly higher, and seem very forgiving. Only played 1 round so far.

> Good luck!

I'm interested in how they work out for you, because I play a combo set of 712 AP1's and 714 AP2's. I like the AP2 in 8 to PW, at the moment the AP2 7-iron is also in the bag.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @CROUSE99 said:

> I take very little to no divot with my irons. Unfortunately, I am also a poor ball striker so I need some forgiveness. I am going to try as many models as I can over the next few weeks, but would like to hear some suggestions from the golfwrx folks.

> Thanks!

> Oh, before you suggest lessons, know that I am taking lessons, but I don't know if divot taking will ever be in my future. :)

Take a iron design that has a medium to wider sole. The bounce is your friend, a design with slightly more bounce angle will help you go through the turf better.

Move the golf ball an inch toward the back of the stance, Most of the sweepers contact the turf with the irons before the golf ball, it can also be caused by gripping tightly with the right hand ( for a right handed gollfer ). Thnk push with the right fist instead of hit with the right hand.

In answer to the OP's question, with irons concern yourself with low bounce and narrow/medium width of the sole (wide simulates bounce.). However, because you're learning that may or may not be problematic. Higher ball flight is found in head design.

I scrape the turf with my irons and take divots with 9-LW. If someone were to ask I sweep the ball yet steep enough at impact to apply excessive spin. Good Luck.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Sweeper/picker here. Srixon V Sole I feel helps me with turf interaction. I'm a higher handicap than you so I take in to account how dispersion and distance are affected by my mishits as well.

The Srixon 5 series cavity back irons serve me well but my slow swing speed leaves me desiring distance.

Picked up a set of 790's from the classifieds so I'm hoping this will be as forgiving as my Srixons on my less than great strikes.

Lessons are in my near future for sure. Hope this helps.

> @chafita said:

> Sweeper/picker here. Srixon V Sole I feel helps me with turf interaction. I'm a higher handicap than you so I take in to account how dispersion and distance are affected by my mishits as well.

>

> The Srixon 5 series cavity back irons serve me well but my slow swing speed leaves me desiring distance.

>

> Picked up a set of 790's from the classifieds so I'm hoping this will be as forgiving as my Srixons on my less than great strikes.

>

> Lessons are in my near future for sure. Hope this helps.

When you say slow.....what are you exactly? I'm a 90mph driver guy and the 585 long irons (4-6) lofted weak one degree have simply been amazing....along with better feel than P790....those are crazy long but stronger lofted and less consistent I found....I'm back to 5i carry....in the air carry of 180ish ;been awhile since I've seen the ball off the deck stay in the air for that kind of yardage

> @" SwooshLT" said:

> When you say slow.....what are you exactly? I'm a 90mph driver guy and the 585 long irons (4-6) lofted weak one degree have simply been amazing....along with better feel than P790....those are crazy long but stronger lofted and less consistent I found....I'm back to 5i carry....in the air carry of 180ish ;been awhile since I've seen the ball off the deck stay in the air for that kind of yardage

7 iron swing speed is about 80ish MPH. That's keeping a tempo that doesn't throw my swing off center violently. I fight a solid toe hit on my irons constantly. I have Z545's and the lofts aren't too far off the P790's but when I hit the respective 7 irons on the launch monitors the distance on the P790's is longer on carry and the launch angle is similar. I don't remember spin or ball speed numbers but I was impressed enough that I wanted to try a set. Hopefully they are all they are cracked up to be.

As others have suggested and IME, the Maltby DBMs are as good as it gets for a picker/sweeper. My miss is usually thin...these clubs have been the least penalizing I’ve found for that type of miss. My last sets have been Mizuno EZ, AP2 714/716 and Ping I200. The Pings are are backups to a set that cost me around $250, that’s how good the DBMs are.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

I would also highly recommend you try a lightweight low-kick shaft. Regardless of what head you go with, the kick point is going to play a huge role for you. Obviously select a head that appeals to you with some forgiveness, but the shaft will be very crucial in order to help you maximize your striking. Good luck in your search!

> @CROUSE99 said:

> I take very little to no divot with my irons. Unfortunately, I am also a poor ball striker so I need some forgiveness. I am going to try as many models as I can over the next few weeks, but would like to hear some suggestions from the golfwrx folks.

> Thanks!

> Oh, before you suggest lessons, know that I am taking lessons, but I don't know if divot taking will ever be in my future. :)

It's good that you plan to try a number of different clubs. First determine by looks what you like and don't like the look of (thickness of topline, amount of offset,etc). Rule out the clubs you don't like the look of first. Next factor in what type of ball flight you desire. Is there something (a type of shot) you want to hit, but can't with your current irons? Some irons are designed to encourage particular ball flights. You may be able to rule out some models based on what they are capable of doing. You can get a large range of different shafts with different head combinations. Try different combinations and see what feels too heavy, too light, or is balanced good or bad for your feel (swing them without hitting balls). Then hit the models you have remaining and see how they feel and sound. After that you can tweak thing further with shafts that hit the ball higher or lower, and ones that have softer feel or harsher feel. By that time you should have a good idea what clubs may work best for you.

Being a sweeper of the ball is pretty much irrelevant to choosing clubs. Many of the greats have been sweepers of the ball during their primes. (Greg Norman, and Payne Stewart swept the ball when they were playing good). Nick Price was steep in his early years, and became a great ball striker when he became much more shallow through the ball.

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter

What about no irons at all? I have noticed several good players over the years who gamed off named hybrids throughout the set...Im talking 3-SW here. I brushed it off until one of my buddies who carries a sub 8 HC was gaming a $50 all hybrid set he got from Play it Again Sports while I was hacking my Callaway XR Steelheads all over the place. I went on Ebay and ordered a few hybrid irons (8-PW) just to try them. I now have the entire set and those Steelheads are sitting lonely in the corner this season. I think its just a matter of time before the big 4 (Callaway,Ping,Titleist & TM) produce complete hybrid sets because they are way better for sweepers of all ages.

The best iron for sweepers is a hybrid.

I, too, am a sweeper of the ball. I sometimes take a little divot with my wedges, but with my irons, I sweep. I was fit with the Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro irons with the N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 105gm. I got these earlier this year and have been very pleased. They offer a great launch angle, even the 5 iron. I got the Pro model because the regular HM irons have a bit of offset and I tended to hit them left. I'm 68 and have lost a bit of distance, but these clubs have allowed me to have about the same distance as I had 10-15 years ago. My handicap is around 18, but my game has been getting better since I got this set of irons. I had my best round in quite some time a couple of weeks ago. I actually shot an 84, so I was thrilled, and that was with leaving a few strokes on the course. Good luck in your search. My only suggestion is to get fit for your irons. Most golf shops will include that the purchase of a set, at least in my area.

• Like 1

Try a Maltby KE4, this is claimed "Extremely low center of gravity produces solid shots for a variety of swing types, especially those players with a sweeping type swing." And build an iron with the lightest iron shaft or even a graphite shaft, then add custom weight to adjust the swing weight back to the preferred level. this should be a sweeping monster with lowest CG possible. Do try with one first and then complete set :-)

Try Maltby KE4, this is claimed "Extremely low center of gravity produces solid shots for a variety of swing types, especially those players with a sweeping type swing." And build an iron with the lightest iron shaft or even a graphite shaft, then add custom weight to adjust the swing weight back to the preferred level. this should be a sweeping monster with lowest CG possible. Do try with one first and then complete set :-)

Sweeper here, using AP1 718s 6-PW and Cobra Baffler 3-5 Hybrids. Works for me. But actually I never had a set or demo’d a set of irons that I couldn’t sweep.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Saw the Apex's on your list....they are very forgiving down low. The blade width might be intimidating for some. They're also very long, with no known reports of 'hot shots' that I've seen yet - those who gamed both have said CF16 did, CF19 does not, though it's anecdotal. Good feel, not Mizuno level. I have some on order with Recoils, they launch high with good spin (6Kish for me in the 7i).

I've usually heard thinner soles are more ideal for shallower swingers, but usually "forgiving" clubs like say G410, etc have pretty wide soles. Perhaps something like P790s which are in the medium range of sole width but still offer some forgiveness is a good middle ground.

If you have a decent instructor... he should get you taking at least a little bit of of a divot with the 7 or 8i pretty quickly. By 3 or 4 lessons in if you still aren't seeing improvement, maybe consider a new teacher.