How do you know when you've found "the putter"?

tgoodspe1991

It's easy...after you've gone through several SAM puttlab sessions so you know your stroke type, have read bruce rearick's blog, and have tested several putters in the style Rearick suggests for your stroke type.

Easy peasy. And why I'm in a plumber's neck spider tour after 2.5 years and about 10 other putters.

I don't know that it's possible for me find just one. I do know I am partial to anser style heads and carbon steel. I have 3 currently and the major difference in them is offset and weight. My 3 putters have 1.5 offset, 1.0 offset, and no offset. Sometimes I just want a different look at address or switch based on having a recurring miss left or right and the different offsets help with this. 2 of my putters I've had 10+ years and I've won the City Putting Championship with both. The 3rd is a new acquisition and so far it looks like a keeper. I've even got a 4th on the way. If I see a putter isn't going to see any bag time I get rid of it pretty quick.

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

I have about 5 putters that use throughout the season. They do the same job equally well. I am considered a competent putter.

Early in the season, and late in the season, before and after the summer height cut I use an Evenroll 5.

Mid summer I use a new one this year principally, a Stroke Labs 7. Going to different places, depending on green speed, I have several others for other courses.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

> @getitdaily said:

> It's easy...after you've gone through several SAM puttlab sessions so you know your stroke type, have read bruce reardon's blog, and have tested several putters in the style Reardon suggests for your stroke type.

>

> Easy peasy. And why I'm in a plumber's neck spider tour after 2.5 years and about 10 other putters.

Who is Bruce Reardon?!

Lots of people think its the 5-10 ft range but I think it's the other end of the spectrum - the putter that feels best with the lag putt. With short putts your stroke is likely to be very consistent with longer putts you are prone to have more variability and the putter that minimizes that variability is the one.

I also disagree with the idea of 'feel' of ball strike and 'looks' of putter - none of that matters if you have confidence that the putter will do what you're asking it to do.

For what it's worth, I tried every putter in the demo bag at the club and on the rack at golf galaxy and ended up with the spider x, which i think is hideous in comparison to the Cameron's.

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @getitdaily said:

> > It's easy...after you've gone through several SAM puttlab sessions so you know your stroke type, have read bruce reardon's blog, and have tested several putters in the style Reardon suggests for your stroke type.

> >

> > Easy peasy. And why I'm in a plumber's neck spider tour after 2.5 years and about 10 other putters.

>

> Who is Bruce Reardon?!

Whoops...autocorrect maybe?

Bruce Rearick - Burnt Edge blog

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @"Double Dodger" said:

> > There is only one way to really know. You will know when the same putter has been in your bag for about 5 years. Then you will really know.....

>

> Nothing has been in my golf bag for 5 years, not even the same golf bag itself haha

Then it’s safe to say you haven’t found the one....

In addition to what everyone else has said, it should be one that inspires confidence. I know putter people scoff at OTR putters in addition to any putter that isn't betti, cameron, or toulon, but i've been gaming a 2010 nike method putter for almost a decade. I haven't intentionally been looking for putters, but every year there's a new crop of putters that pique my interest, and every year i take my putter to the golf galaxy and run it through the gauntlet of lengths of putts against the "latest and greatest". I always come away thinking that I have confidence with my current putter, and there wasn't anything about the new putter that would add any value to my putting game.

> @Rory4Pres said:

> If it helps, I found my dream putter that hands down blew my mind and I still shop for putters all the time. Just because it's the best for my game doesn't mean I don't want to experience other putters for fun. After all, that open mind set is how/why I found that putter in the first place.

Couldn’t agree more. Putting can be pretty dull, having a rotation certainly makes me want to practice more, and it increases my enjoyment on the course.

I think you've found the one when you stand over your putt with confidence. There's just something to be said when you walk up for a 6 footer and know it's going in as opposed to walking up and questioning if it's going to go in or not. From a looks standpoint I need a slant/flow neck or I just can't use it.

A couple things for me. Sam puttlab confirmation is huge in my mind for confidence. That encompasses roll, aim, etc. That narrows the search, but is not the end all be all. Feel plays a part for me and looks are important, but things will look better as more putts go in. The last thing is grip because Ive found I roll certain grips better than others and it can alter how the putter feels (balance of the putter and off the face feel). Grip is the point of contact to the putter and can change feel, if you dont have the loving feeling with a putter, but the looks and performance are there it might be time to switch grips. A putter i was on the fence about that looked great and performance was great but the feel was not ideal changed completely when i put a different grip on it. hope this helps

Current gamer: Evnroll ER2 blackout with a SS claw 1.0 (but i dont claw grip it, just loved the shape and how it sits in my hands)

For selecting a putter.

You should find one that will keep the putter head on line without too much a struggle. A swing gate style user should be at ease with some toe hung ( toe heavy ) and the straight back and through style should be better with the face balanced putter.

Each one of us set up slightly differently at address.

We set up with a unique posture, stance, which we feel comfortable and our eyes could follow the intended line of putt ( where you could see the line better ). Some like an open stance and some like pigeon toe stance and some like to bend more at the knee, and some at the hip and shoulders............

Find a putter that could consistently send the golf ball online is the top consideration.

Next, you should consider the other elements like the static weight of the putter ( total weight), the feel of the putter ( swing weight), the length of the putter and last but not least, the aesthetic of the putter ( you have to like the look of the putter to roll it well but you can definitely learn to love an ugly putter if it rolls in most the putts for you ).

What we're looking for in a putter should be the one that could roll the golf ball on line with the control of the speed we want ( variable on different length and different putting surface ).

As any other golf clubs in the bag, when you found one that's like an extension of your body, chances are you'll do better with it.

Do not get into an awkward posture to try to manipulate the putting stroke, in other words, don;t try to alter your putting stroke to suit the putter. Thiis the one part of the game which you will do better if you be yourself.

Caution, not all do this but some of the indoor putting had the surface of the putting funneled to the cups, it'll make that much easier for the ball to find the cup. If you're interested in getting a putter, ask to putt it outdoor on a real putting green. A local brick and mortar golf store has it's own driving range and putting green in the back of the store and they sell a lot of golf equipments.

As far as getting fit, I never have, I would love too to see what something like a Sam puttlab would recommend.

Now to find out if a putter is right for me, I like to test out if I can hit short putts where I intend too. I try to find the straightest 6-8 footer I can on the practice green, and try to roll them straight in. Preferably with a chalk line or string above the hole. If I can't start a putt where I am aiming from that distance, I either have a mechanical flaw in my stroke, or the putter is not fit correctly. Second is speed control, can I consistently hit long putts (30 ft plus) similar distances. Not so much if they are all long or all short, that can be OK, if I hit them the same distance. That is feel and I can work that out, but if I hit one putt 8 feet short and the next 8 feet buy consistently, something is wrong, either with the putter, quite often too much/little loft, or I am not hitting the center of the face consistently.....

I've been testing a Spider X slant neck recently, have been playing a Tyne 4, mostly as I am not 100% sure about the Ping insert. Something to me is just not right with the Spider X, I am much more inconsistent left to right with the line vs the Ping, or the 2ball I played earlier in the year. The Spider X felt pretty good indoors in the shop, but on the real green, not so much, I think it is going back to the shop....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV