MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @2moreTerps said:

> can you list the really good putters you know who change their putter every month? i'm not being sarcastic. it's an actual question

>

> last week i was talking to a guy who i consider to be a very good putter. he's a better putter than i am. this guy changes clubs a lot and likes new stuff. he has used the same putter for more than 10 years.

Stop making sense!

It's got to be the putter, It's got to be the putter, It's got to be the putter, It's got to be the putter, It's got to be the putter........

I've used the same putter for almost a month (I haven't played in 3 weeks)

I assume you have been using the same putter for a while. Serious question - Do you ever feel the need to look at something else. Every once in a while a putter will just not look right, and I want a different look or feel. It might only be a few rounds or it might be a couple of months, and I'll go back to my old one.

I love trying different styles/weights/grips etc. I mostly use the same 3 or 4 putters from the past 6-7 years. I'll throw a new one in the bag, but it usually doesn't last long

> @2moreTerps said:

> can you list the really good putters you know who change their putter every month? i'm not being sarcastic. it's an actual question

>

> last week i was talking to a guy who i consider to be a very good putter. he's a better putter than i am. this guy changes clubs a lot and likes new stuff. he has used the same putter for more than> @2moreTerps said:

> > @FAbb said:

> > I'm not advocating that changing a lot is good lol. There's really no question I'd be better off sticking to a single putter indefinitely. Will I? Very unlikely.

> why? you really care about golf. why would you knowingly do something that is detrimental to your game

>

I feel the same about not being fitted

I bought an expensive putter to match my specs because I don’t change. Only club we use every hole.

But I do have another one coming.. it was a gift. I’ll mess around with it—- caveat is — it matches my specs.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

no. i really don't feel a need or desire to look at something else. the scottie that JT uses is beautiful. when i go to second swing i hit some putts with it. but i've never given any consideration to purchasing one.

i used a two ball putter for years. then when my back was giving me trouble i switched to a counter balanced putter and held it at the end. that's far from ideal. i used two putters in that stage. when i decided to go back to a regular length putter a couple years ago i got another two ball putter. that's the 2moreTerps putter change history from something like 2006 until now

i'm also naturally change averse.

• Like 1

> @2moreTerps said:

> > @FAbb said:

> > I'm not advocating that changing a lot is good lol. There's really no question I'd be better off sticking to a single putter indefinitely. Will I? Very unlikely.

> why? you really care about golf. why would you knowingly do something that is detrimental to your game

>

Why do people that really care about their lives do things that are inherently risky? I'd say it's because they derive some joy from those things.

I'm not a golf robot, programmed to do nothing but optimize. I like messing around with stuff.

Hey guys - I'm gonna settle this once and for all. I've changed putters three times this summer and shot a 77!! at UMD on Sat.

Sorry, but I am still basking in that round a bit.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

> @FAbb said:

> > @2moreTerps said:

> > > @FAbb said:

> > > I'm not advocating that changing a lot is good lol. There's really no question I'd be better off sticking to a single putter indefinitely. Will I? Very unlikely.

> > why? you really care about golf. why would you knowingly do something that is detrimental to your game

> >

>

> Why do people that really care about their lives do things that are inherently risky? I'd say it's because they derive some joy from those things.

>

> I'm not a golf robot, programmed to do nothing but optimize. I like messing around with stuff.

The same could be said about how people choose to play golf (their way)

Yet questions, statements, etc get passed onto them — warranted or not.

protos F4

It's just funny with fabb because he reads as a golf robot. Seems to care about finding every single edge to improve and yet does this one -- probably suboptimal -- thing all the time.

AND, gripes about his putting.

And, that's always his thing with other people. . .if you're going to gripe about something, you need to be open to changing it.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

That's fair.

I'm open to changing it. I'm sorta working on changing it. The Spider X isn't coming out of the bag, unless I find something that's definitively better. I'm spending 95% of my time on the course, and in practice with my current putter. I can't imagine that 5% I'm messing with something else, or changing the grip makes any difference in my putting results on the whole. I don't feel like cutting out that 5% will change anything. Maybe I'm wrong.

> @2moreTerps said:

> no. i really don't feel a need or desire to look at something else. the scottie that JT uses is beautiful. when i go to second swing i hit some putts with it. but i've never given any consideration to purchasing one.

>

> i used a two ball putter for years. then when my back was giving me trouble i switched to a counter balanced putter and held it at the end. that's far from ideal. i used two putters in that stage. when i decided to go back to a regular length putter a couple years ago i got another two ball putter. that's the 2moreTerps putter change history from something like 2006 until now

>

> i'm also naturally change averse.

That is impressive. Unfortunately, my attention span isn't that long. I have had long periods with the same putter, and several periods of putter schizophrenia and get a little carried away with changing. Then I will have another putter purge and get back down to 3-4. I like the looks of a blade, so I keep going back to that style. That said, I also have a mallet that I will switch out when warrented.

But, like Tex, all the same specs (length and lie angle). Different grips for different feel

Well said City

Heading to Aslin in Alexandria for any Dc, va workers they want to take a long lunch

protos F4

> @gregh729 said:

> I assume you have been using the same putter for a while. Serious question - Do you ever feel the need to look at something else. Every once in a while a putter will just not look right, and I want a different look or feel. It might only be a few rounds or it might be a couple of months, and I'll go back to my old one.

> I love trying different styles/weights/grips etc. I mostly use the same 3 or 4 putters from the past 6-7 years. I'll throw a new one in the bag, but it usually doesn't last long

Yes, but far between. My Piretti has been the basis putter for ~8 years, and I've only tried maybe 2 other putters. What I don't change is the headweight, grip/size, length, or counterweight that I use in that setup. Every trial putter needs to meet those exact specs before getting a run.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

> @TheCityGame said:

> It's just funny with fabb because he reads as a golf robot. Seems to care about finding every single edge to improve and yet does this one -- probably suboptimal -- thing all the time.

>

> AND, gripes about his putting.

>

> And, that's always his thing with other people. . .if you're going to gripe about something, you need to be open to changing it.

Some of the same people I've seen gripe about ~~me ~~ Fabb changing putters so often are the same people I've seen change their brand/model of golf ball in the middle of a round.

There's also the unspoken assumption that *not* changing putters makes you a better putter. I strongly disagree with that. Despite his online fake-griping, Fabb is a top tier putter, no doubt in my mind about that. Him changing putters has absolutely no affect on his ability to putt.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > It's just funny with fabb because he reads as a golf robot. Seems to care about finding every single edge to improve and yet does this one -- probably suboptimal -- thing all the time.

> >

> > AND, gripes about his putting.

> >

> > And, that's always his thing with other people. . .if you're going to gripe about something, you need to be open to changing it.

>

> Some of the same people I've seen gripe about ~~me ~~ Fabb changing putters so often are the same people I've seen change their brand/model of golf ball in the middle of a round.

>

> There's also the unspoken assumption that *not* changing putters makes you a better putter. I strongly disagree with that. Despite his online fake-griping, Fabb is a top tier putter, no doubt in my mind about that. Him changing putters has absolutely no affect on his ability to putt.

One of the only weakness in his game, no?

Go get fitted by club champion Fabb and see what the numbers say

protos F4

Statistically you would need a ton of trials to "prove" one side or the other. But I bet if Fabb played a whole year with the same putter and played another year switching every month - his putting stats would look relatively the same.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> Statistically you would need a ton of trials to "prove" one side or the other. But I bet if Fabb played a whole year with the same putter and played another year switching every month - his putting stats would look relatively the same.

I look at it as one of those that it might not hurt and maybe help.

But i believe he was on Sam machine before his pro buddy sold his ..

protos F4

> @TheCityGame said:

> It's just funny with fabb because he reads as a golf robot. Seems to care about finding every single edge to improve and yet does this one -- probably suboptimal -- thing all the time.

>

> AND, gripes about his putting.

>

> And, that's always his thing with other people. . .if you're going to gripe about something, you need to be open to changing it.

Also, and you know this, it's not remotely accurate to insinuate that I'm griping about my putting but am unwilling to do anything about it.

I've worked A TON on my putting this year. I'll potentially clip 40 rounds this handicap season, and I've been practicing putting outside one day a week pretty consistently. Those are both marked increases from the past several years. I putt inside easily 4x/week. I've done work with a putting coach to solidify my stroke. I've done a lot to improve the way I practice. I've talked with good putters I know about their approach - how they assess line/speed, routine, things they practice, etc.

> @FAbb said:

> I've talked with good putters I know about their approach - how they assess line/speed, routine, things they practice, etc.

moir94jsim1w.gif

(Checks emails and PM's, checks phone call log, nothing from Fabb. He's probably too embarrassed to ask. Better just volunteer to help so he won't feel guilty.)

So, what I do when I line up to the putt is the following.

1. Do Aimpoint halfway between ball and hole.

2. Come back to the ball and reread putt. Hold up fingers to confirm line.

3. Take my stance.

4. Look at the ball, look at hole, look back at ball.

5. Let my strong mental game take over.

6. "Ok, you've got this Rick. Looks to be about 3 balls out on the left, just get the speed right and let it die in there. (Look down at putter) "Man, been using this putter for a while now. Pulled a few on the practice green with it. Doesn't matter, right? After the round we'll check the Bay for a mallet, that'll help right? Should I get the same length? Maybe I should go shorter. Course it could be my loft? Maybe I should have that checked. Bet GMen could do it. Wonder if he'll still do work for us after Fabb ditched that putter he made after 5 minutes of use? Prolly will. Maybe I can check 2nd swing , they had putters! Oh , wait I'm over a putt right now! HIT IT!!!!"

• Like 1
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

> @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > > @TheCityGame said:

> > > It's just funny with fabb because he reads as a golf robot. Seems to care about finding every single edge to improve and yet does this one -- probably suboptimal -- thing all the time.

> > >

> > > AND, gripes about his putting.

> > >

> > > And, that's always his thing with other people. . .if you're going to gripe about something, you need to be open to changing it.

> >

> > Some of the same people I've seen gripe about ~~me ~~ Fabb changing putters so often are the same people I've seen change their brand/model of golf ball in the middle of a round.

> >

> > There's also the unspoken assumption that *not* changing putters makes you a better putter. I strongly disagree with that. Despite his online fake-griping, Fabb is a top tier putter, no doubt in my mind about that. Him changing putters has absolutely no affect on his ability to putt.

>

> One of the only weakness in his game, no?

>

> Go get fitted by club champion Fabb and see what the numbers say

I got fitted there and changed my putter specs. It didn’t work out so I went back to the specs that I got from Bettinardi when they fitted me and made my putter. Started putting much better again.

I changed my actual putting grip mid-round on Saturday. Something I had been toying with during indoor sessions but hadn't been able to practice outside before that morning.

Obviously FAbb is a much better player than I so the opportunities to improve are much more minute. In that same round, I also had 2 plain tops off the tee into junk just ahead of the red tees and 2 other foul balls into hazards/OB en route to a smooth 89 at WM.

On a separate note, infuriated reading over Sully's adventure on #16 at WM. I pumped a ball into a tree on the left and it fell straight down into junk. I re-teed and piped my 3rd shot right on line with the cart path on the left side of the fairway. Get up there, no ball. Sweet ESC 7 (there was a good chance it was going to be an ESC 7 anyways, but still).

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

> @gsrjc said:

> > @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > > @dcmidnight said:

> > > > @TheCityGame said:

> > > > It's just funny with fabb because he reads as a golf robot. Seems to care about finding every single edge to improve and yet does this one -- probably suboptimal -- thing all the time.

> > > >

> > > > AND, gripes about his putting.

> > > >

> > > > And, that's always his thing with other people. . .if you're going to gripe about something, you need to be open to changing it.

> > >

> > > Some of the same people I've seen gripe about ~~me ~~ Fabb changing putters so often are the same people I've seen change their brand/model of golf ball in the middle of a round.

> > >

> > > There's also the unspoken assumption that *not* changing putters makes you a better putter. I strongly disagree with that. Despite his online fake-griping, Fabb is a top tier putter, no doubt in my mind about that. Him changing putters has absolutely no affect on his ability to putt.

> >

> > One of the only weakness in his game, no?

> >

> > Go get fitted by club champion Fabb and see what the numbers say

> I got fitted there and changed my putter specs. It didn’t work out so I went back to the specs that I got from Bettinardi when they fitted me and made my putter. Started putting much better again.

>

It’s not a be all or end all. However ... it shows you what you are doing instead of guessing.

Fittings are only as good as your fitter. Not knocking Nick— but all Bettinardi does is putters (besides some wedges and golf swag)

protos F4

> @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > > @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > > > @dcmidnight said:

> > > > > @TheCityGame said:

> > > > > It's just funny with fabb because he reads as a golf robot. Seems to care about finding every single edge to improve and yet does this one -- probably suboptimal -- thing all the time.

> > > > >

> > > > > AND, gripes about his putting.

> > > > >

> > > > > And, that's always his thing with other people. . .if you're going to gripe about something, you need to be open to changing it.

> > > >

> > > > Some of the same people I've seen gripe about ~~me ~~ Fabb changing putters so often are the same people I've seen change their brand/model of golf ball in the middle of a round.

> > > >

> > > > There's also the unspoken assumption that *not* changing putters makes you a better putter. I strongly disagree with that. Despite his online fake-griping, Fabb is a top tier putter, no doubt in my mind about that. Him changing putters has absolutely no affect on his ability to putt.

> > >

> > > One of the only weakness in his game, no?

> > >

> > > Go get fitted by club champion Fabb and see what the numbers say

> > I got fitted there and changed my putter specs. It didn’t work out so I went back to the specs that I got from Bettinardi when they fitted me and made my putter. Started putting much better again.

> >

>

> It’s not a be all or end all. However ... it shows you what you are doing instead of guessing.

>

> Fittings are only as good as your fitter. Not knocking Nick— but all Bettinardi does is putters (besides some wedges and golf swag)

>

Agreed. We’ve even discussed perhaps SAM putting may not be the best vehicle and perhaps there are others. I can’t remember the name but there’s one putting system that is like $30k and uses a bunch of lights to watch the ball and see how it rolls. Apparently the Golf Doctor in DC has it.

> @gsrjc said:

> > @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > > @gsrjc said:

> > > > @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > > > > @dcmidnight said:

> > > > > > @TheCityGame said:

> > > > > > It's just funny with fabb because he reads as a golf robot. Seems to care about finding every single edge to improve and yet does this one -- probably suboptimal -- thing all the time.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > AND, gripes about his putting.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And, that's always his thing with other people. . .if you're going to gripe about something, you need to be open to changing it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Some of the same people I've seen gripe about ~~me ~~ Fabb changing putters so often are the same people I've seen change their brand/model of golf ball in the middle of a round.

> > > > >

> > > > > There's also the unspoken assumption that *not* changing putters makes you a better putter. I strongly disagree with that. Despite his online fake-griping, Fabb is a top tier putter, no doubt in my mind about that. Him changing putters has absolutely no affect on his ability to putt.

> > > >

> > > > One of the only weakness in his game, no?

> > > >

> > > > Go get fitted by club champion Fabb and see what the numbers say

> > > I got fitted there and changed my putter specs. It didn’t work out so I went back to the specs that I got from Bettinardi when they fitted me and made my putter. Started putting much better again.

> > >

> >

> > It’s not a be all or end all. However ... it shows you what you are doing instead of guessing.

> >

> > Fittings are only as good as your fitter. Not knocking Nick— but all Bettinardi does is putters (besides some wedges and golf swag)

> >

> Agreed. We’ve even discussed perhaps SAM putting may not be the best vehicle and perhaps there are others. I can’t remember the name but there’s one putting system that is like $30k and uses a bunch of lights to watch the ball and see how it rolls. Apparently the Golf Doctor in DC has it.

>

Sam is one of the best but the sensor has to be installed the same time every time.

Also 7 putts is not enough to truly gauge.

However.. for me I just reconfirmed what i already knew. Fitting recommended the same spec i had years ago.

Knowledge is power and if you don’t know what you do consistently or not.. it’s hard for you to know what’s best or in the ball park for you

protos F4

> @SullGolf said:

> Don’t be angry willboyrd. You just have to learn where to miss on that hole. It will come when you have as much experience as me.

Thank you for not outing my identity.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Same putter since 2012 for me. Even bought a backup in silver. Take it from me, who averages 33.3 putts per round... HAHA. One thing I’ve never thought about changing is my putter. Got fitted and it’s worked for me. Just need to learn how to putt now! And stop missing it low like City was yelling at me about.

Oil Baron and Augusta member T. Boone Pickens died today. I first heard of him on WRX. When I first joined the site there was this thread that was a fantastic follow, in which a guy who attended some conference where T. Boone Pickens spoke every year devised a plan in which he was going to corner T. Boone in an elevator and beg him to invite him to Augusta. I think the thread was closed, but half the people were telling him not to do it and the other half were telling him "Hey, you'll never take the prettiest girl to the dance if you don't ask her!" I think it never came to fruition, but if it did I hope someone videotaped it.

Also it made me hope that Slim Pickens (Dr. Strangelove, Blazing Saddles) and T. Boone were the same person, but alas, no.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.