Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Golf Galaxy closing up shop in Towson (Maryland). Nothing left around these parts.

2»

Comments

• flipmodeflipmode  448Members Posts: 448

tdogg21 wrote:

I'm an hour and a half from Towson and it's the closest golf store to me. Honestly I use to stop at that one and the one in Columbia when I would be in the area for work. I tried hard to find things to buy but I just couldn't do it. When the prices aren't even close to what I can get online, there is no point. I've found that smaller stores and some courses are much better with their pricing. They are realistic and I'll pay a little more to support a local business, just not double. It's like the big stores don't know about the internet.

Yes...there club tech(s) were very good. One of them was actually a member here, can't remember his name, but he did a couple things for me several years ago and it was very well done. He knew his stuff.

I believe his name was Bruce. He ended up moving out of state. There was another guy Chris that was tall skinny and wore glasses. He was very knowledgeable as well.
    Posted:
    Ping K15 driver
    Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
    Ping G15 irons
    Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
    Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer  3443ClubWRX Posts: 3,443
    You are sad about them closing but you probably went into a Golf Galaxy to tinker around with their stuff then purchased something thru ebay, golfwrx, etc.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx
  • rainkingjrrainkingjr  2684Members Posts: 2,684
    llewol007 wrote:

You are sad about them closing but you probably went into a Golf Galaxy to tinker around with their stuff then purchased something thru ebay, golfwrx, etc.

Nope, I buy from a lot of different places, but have probably spent several thousand at that store over the past several years. Several drivers new and used. Multiple putters. I can remember at least three used iron sets. Wedges. Shoes. A golf bag Just purchased 3 new Glide wedges there two months ago.. Plenty of clothing so no, I don't do the typical go in, try their stuff and buy it elsewhere. I won't lie and say I don't go in to try stuff often, but that's the whole point. Of course I sometimes find a better deal somewhere else, but I've been a customer who has spent plenty of money there and I like a lot of the guys that work there. Good people. Just had a three wood re-shafted there as well and they did a really nice job.

Hopefully your comment was just some lame attempt at sarcasm.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • halliedoghalliedog  2400Members Posts: 2,400
    Big Ben wrote:

Seems as though the brick and mortars are going the way of the dinosaurs. Fewer and fewer choices these days. We have one nice shop and range left (Windmill Lakes Fitting Ctr) on the eastside of Cleveland and that's it. Without this site the next closest decent shop is in Akron, Ohio. Keep in mind we are a heavily populated area as well. Seems as though the rents continue to drive these businesses out of dodge.

The guys at Windmill are awesome (especially Trent), but even their pro shop is somewhat sparse last time I was in there. I've gotten some good deals on balls/shoes type of stuff there for sure. I live in Akron and the GG is certainly better now that GS is gone, but curious what other shops in/around Akron you think are decent?
    Posted:
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • ewe8523ewe8523  346Members Posts: 346
    We have had 2 of 3 GGs in the Raleigh area close in the last two years. The second is rebranding as a Dick’s this weekend. It has remained open during the transition but was bare bones. The one remaining open is the largest and newest of the three but inventory has really been low the last year or so there.
    Posted:
    Good news. Golf Galaxy was able to work out a deal with the leasing company so they are good for another year. Sweet.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BB28403BB28403  3734Members Posts: 3,734
    I've heard you can buy golf stuff online.

It does suck not to have a same day golf place to buy things in a pinch.
    Posted:
  • TzoidTzoid Maryland 1716Members Posts: 1,716
    I know the Manager and a Sales guy at the Elkridge- Columbia store ( They were both at Mammoth Golf ) . They are great guys that take care of me when I need something. GG is the only store in MD

that has most major brands and a good selection of everything. The Golfsmith store in Timonium was nice so it's a shame GG didn't get that location when they went t**** Up.
    Posted:
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • dokexdokex  292Members Posts: 292

After a one year lease extension, Towson is closing for good on Oct. 6, 2019.

Posted:

I was in a week ago and heard the news. Sucks as now the closest shop for me is at least a 40 minute drive.

Posted:
  • apg7apg7  35Members, Paid BST Posts: 35

That's a bummer. Do they liquidate inventory or just move it to another location? It was always pretty empty when I would go there.

Posted:

Advertisement

@apg7 said:
    That's a bummer. Do they liquidate inventory or just move it to another location? It was always pretty empty when I would go there.

I was told they'd be moving it.

Posted:
  • MychMych  2027Members Posts: 2,027

The "store closing" sale might be enough to scratch your hoing itch for a while. I bought about half of my Golfsmith store's clubmaking shop when they closed down a couple years ago.

Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier

@Mych said:
    The "store closing" sale might be enough to scratch your hoing itch for a while. I bought about half of my Golfsmith store's clubmaking shop when they closed down a couple years ago.

I might have to make trip up there tomorrow. See if there's anything good floating around.

Posted:
  • GoIrish17GoIrish17  5893Members Posts: 5,893

@halliedog said:
    (Quote)

The guys at Windmill are awesome (especially Trent), but even their pro shop is somewhat sparse last time I was in there. I've gotten some good deals on balls/shoes type of stuff there for sure. I live in Akron and the GG is certainly better now that GS is gone, but curious what other shops in/around Akron you think are decent?

(Sorry, OP, don’t mean to threadjack this into a NE Ohio shop discussion... but here I go anyways)

There’s really nothing great around us, honestly, compared to some other areas. Foxy Golf is just ok, but both locations could always use a good cleaning, organizing, and straightening up. Windmill Golf Center (and Windmill Lakes’ pro shop) both have a pretty good selection of current and relevant clubs, and the Golf Center’s outdoor fitting is as good as it gets around here (I’ve also had the pleasure of working with Trent there). I haven’t been there all summer though, so my opinion is not current. Like Ben said, for an area as populated as ours, we have some crappy options for golf stores. Since Golfsmith left, I am not aware of anywhere local to get club making supplies. (I stopped at Foxy once after playing at Turkeyfoot to pick up a graphite shaft extension for a project I was working on - all they had to sell me was a wooden dowel extension for more than I would have paid for the whole dowel at Home Depot.)

I am on the road in the Cleveland/Akron/Canton areas most of the day for work, I would love to hear of some places worth stopping at. Having spent some time in the Schaumburg, IL area for work the past year, my jealousy over their PGASS is real. I have nowhere I’d even consider driving to over ordering online, living in Cuyahoga Falls - there’s really nothing other than Dick’s and GG within 25 minutes of me. And nowhere I can think of that I know would have ferrules, epoxy, tape, etc. that I could run to in a pinch. I’d honestly probably run down to see Dave at DV Golf (Akron Golf Clubs) if I absolutely needed something like that in a pinch. He’s an awesome dude, I couldn’t recommend someone more if you have some club work you need done. Thank God I can order from Golf Works and generally have the item in 2 days when I need supplies, but it’d be preferable to have a local source.

Any NE Ohio guys ever been to Just Golf in Medina? I drove by it last week and was curious what it was like. Any other NE Ohio golf shop suggestions, especially somewhere that sells club making supplies?

Posted:

Driver: TaylorMade M5 10.5° | HC Evenflow Black 65
    3wd: Titleist TS2 15° (C1) | Diamana D+ LTD 70
    5wd: TaylorMade Aeroburner TP 18° (T.I. small head 19°)| Matrix 8Q3 Red Tie
    Irons: Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4 iron | AD-DI 95 / Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 raw 5-PW | PX Catalyst 100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 raw 48°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°V | KBS 610
    Putters: Byron Morgan DH 89
    MannKrafted MA66
    Cameron AOP Oil Can Newport
    Tad Moore 1S Prototype

Just stopped in tonight, there were some decent apparel sales, but didn't see anything else major.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • TzoidTzoid Maryland 1716Members Posts: 1,716

I was in the Towson store last week and they have all the new Mizuno Irons for Demo and the store looked in better shape than ever. It didn't appear to be a store that was closing in 30 days.

Posted:
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X

@Tzoid said:
    I was in the Towson store last week and they have all the new Mizuno Irons for Demo and the store looked in better shape than ever. It didn't appear to be a store that was closing in 30 days.

I know. It is closing though. I talk to the manager all of the time.

Posted:

@Tzoid said:

Can confirm. When checking out, employees told me they were done in first week of October.

Posted:
  • dokexdokex  292Members Posts: 292

As of today the store is virtually empty. The only things left are two racks of clearance apparel and some grips. Everything else is gone.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file