High School Golf Thread

Figured I would start this to share stories and scores.

My kid played in his first high school match yesterday. He has been injured and out of golf 8 out of the last 18 months. He has been out the first 4 weeks of the high school season with a broken hand. He was just released to play last Thursday and practiced for just 5 days after the month lay off. I really didn't want him to play, but the coach wanted to throw him out there with the "B" Team so he could get a match in. Had no idea what to expect and the kid goes out and shoots a -1 35.

His team, mind you this is the "B" team, shot a -2 for a team total of 142 for the W. The second place team shot a 165 and had the medalist on their team who was -3. We beat the host team by 80 strokes.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> No high school golf in Alabama until the Spring...this is despite the courses virtually all begging for it to be in the Fall instead...

Used to be in the Spring in Florida. Moved it for two reasons. 1. Easier to get courses. 2. A lot of baseball players play golf and in the Spring they can't play.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > No high school golf in Alabama until the Spring...this is despite the courses virtually all begging for it to be in the Fall instead...

>

> Used to be in the Spring in Florida. Moved it for two reasons. 1. Easier to get courses. 2. A lot of baseball players play golf and in the Spring they can't play.

Won't be moved in Bama due to so many golf coaches being football coaches and getting extra stipend money while not giving two craps about golf.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > No high school golf in Alabama until the Spring...this is despite the courses virtually all begging for it to be in the Fall instead...

> >

> > Used to be in the Spring in Florida. Moved it for two reasons. 1. Easier to get courses. 2. A lot of baseball players play golf and in the Spring they can't play.

>

> Won't be moved in Bama due to so many golf coaches being football coaches and getting extra stipend money while not giving two craps about golf.

Sadly, that is what HS Golf Coaches are for the most part. We are fortunate enough to have the Director of Golf at a high end club (has held USGA events) as our coach. Kids practice at one of the 3 courses, at two separate facilities through out the year. Assistant is the GM at another club.

My Athletic Director got a laundry list of reasons why I wanted golf changed to the fall instead of spring. He took it to the regional AD meeting and zero ADs voted for the change. Longer daylight hours, not snowbird season, better weather, better course conditions, etc...were some of the reasons. I think, like mentioned before, some schools just give the golf coach job to a football coach or another sport coach.

I coach at a small independent HS. Read "coach" how you wish, and yes I ~~enjoy~~ need the stipend. It's the only sport I coach, but I do know serial coaches.

Fall is great, but man is it short! Well, the during school portion anyway. We start early July, but I do not see the majority of this kids until a week before school starts. On top of this our division has added a district tournament, which is this Monday, effectively cutting our season by a week.

Most or some golf coaches may not be swing coaches, but this does not diminish their role. It takes someone special to develop a team, bring a group of like minded missfits together to form something more akin to a family. Many hours developing a schedule, balancing practice/competition with academics, getting them to many and all events safe and ready to compete,,, to inspire,,, to challenge,, to think,, to focus,, etc. etc.. Effectively communicate and handle every parent concern or demand with grace,,, to be the conduit between academic teachers and players/family etc. etc.. I know I am forgetting a bunch, and all this for pennies on the dollar..

I am successful every time I go out with the teams, but I and they have enjoyed the ultimate success, 1 state championship,, and 4 runners up, 2 district championships and other tournament wins. We are currently in a rebuild year(s) with both boys and girls teams. I should have 2 that will qualify as individuals for the state tournament this year. They are both sophomores, the girl qualified last year, and the boy missed out by 2 strokes, he shot a 76.. After this it's a drop off. Not sure my boys team, even with him, could muster lower than a 395.. Worse, I graduate 2 and do not think that I will get any from MS next year. My girls team should be championship contenders in 2 years..

It's fun, it's rewarding, it's exhausting. Best months of the year by far.

• Like 1

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

Well,, Went pretty much as expected.. I had 1 boy with a 76 qualify for the region tournament where he shot another 76 but it was not enough to qualify for the state tournament. My girls team placed second at district, my number 1 shot a 78 (also placing 1st individual!) and my number 2 shot a PR 114! She is new to the sport so that is huge for her at a tough course.. My number 1 shot a 79 in the region tournament, low enough for her to place second individual. She is young and full of doubt, however she was actually leading through 9 but dropped a few coming in. Mind you, this is against a girl that has set the bar and most coaches and players predict her to win at every tournament.. I have worked hard to inspire and instill confidence in my player and she is beginning to see that she actually can hang with this other player. State tournament is this Monday and Tuesday.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Son's Team won a 15 team tournament this past weekend in South Florida. Shot 301-298 and place 4 players in the Top 10. Played from 6700 yards on a really tough course in windy conditions. Won the tourney by 4 strokes. Right now we are ranked 8th in the State and our Region has 3 teams ranked in the top 10.

Player 1 Senior 77-70 T5

Player 2 Junior 72-75 T5

Player 3 Freshman 76-76 T8

Player 4 Freshman 76-77 T10

Player 5 Senior 79-80

Son's team set a school record this past Friday shooting -11 from 6600 yards in a match and winning by 22 strokes.

Player 1 Sophomore 67 -5

Player 2 Junior 69 -3

Player 3 Senior 70 -2

Player 4 Senior 71 -1

These scores didn't count

Player 5 Freshman 71 -1

Player 6 Junior 71 -1

Player 7 Freshman 72 E

Player 8 Freshman 77 +5

Player 9 Junior 79 +7

Player 10 Freshman 80 +8

District championships today. Overcast, 15-20 mph winds and 55 degrees at 10 AM for the first tee time. My son's team won by 3 shots so they move on to a sub-regional match on Thursday with the winner qualifying for the state championship. Unfortunately he did not advance as an individual. Only 4 spots moved on and 73 was the number.

My issue in the beginning was my AJGA kids to even take HS golf seriously. They could shoot 62 on most of these courses, but shoot 68 using a driver for a putter due to boredom and lack of challenge. I have “corrected” most of these “issues” in time to make a run at States.

Districts next week (should be easy to win), then Regions.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @GolfChannel said:

> My issue in the beginning was my AJGA kids to even take HS golf seriously. They could shoot 62 on most of these courses, but shoot 68 using a driver for a putter due to boredom and lack of challenge. I have “corrected” most of these “issues” in time to make a run at States.

>

> Districts next week (should be easy to win), then Regions.

Windemere, Winter Park, or Lake Nona?

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > My issue in the beginning was my AJGA kids to even take HS golf seriously. They could shoot 62 on most of these courses, but shoot 68 using a driver for a putter due to boredom and lack of challenge. I have “corrected” most of these “issues” in time to make a run at States.

> >

> > Districts next week (should be easy to win), then Regions.

>

> Windemere, Winter Park, or Lake Nona?

None of the above.

This is probably the most competitive this area has been in a while given all the top teams are relatively equal, it just depends on who goes low that day.

We are chasing Windermere and Winter Park. Windermere is the favorite to win States in my book. Overall, they have been the most consistent all season long. They have 5 good golfers they can count on when most teams only have 2 or 3 and hope and pray to get something out of golfers 4 and 5. Having that depth and consistency is a huge benefit when you can afford 1 of your players having an off day knowing the other 4 will produce or at least keep it close to par. It also doesn't hurt that Windermere is anchored by Logan Jerrells who is easily the golfer of the year in the area for high school. I'm not kidding, I've seen the kid basically make a run at the course record every time we have played. I hope he continues that form once tournament season starts, because no offense to Florida Southern, but if he's capable of this regularly he's WAY too good for them.

We started the season under performing, but we are improving enough we should have a shot at least at Regions and States. Regions will be the challenge given the teams you listed, any of them and us could win or qualify for States. I have the best kid in the county and arguably the state, but he hasn't had a lights out round yet this season. Hoping he has been saving them up for the end of the season because I know how bad he wants to win States before heading to college.

Crazy to think averaging 2 under per 9 on the hardest courses in tournament conditions is "meh", but his goal for the year in terms of scoring average was a 32 and that isn't far off what he averaged last year.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > My issue in the beginning was my AJGA kids to even take HS golf seriously. They could shoot 62 on most of these courses, but shoot 68 using a driver for a putter due to boredom and lack of challenge. I have “corrected” most of these “issues” in time to make a run at States.

> > >

> > > Districts next week (should be easy to win), then Regions.

> >

> > Windemere, Winter Park, or Lake Nona?

>

> None of the above.

>

> This is probably the most competitive this area has been in a while given all the top teams are relatively equal, it just depends on who goes low that day.

>

> We are chasing Windermere and Winter Park. Windermere is the favorite to win States in my book. Overall, they have been the most consistent all season long. They have 5 good golfers they can count on when most teams only have 2 or 3 and hope and pray to get something out of golfers 4 and 5. Having that depth and consistency is a huge benefit when you can afford 1 of your players having an off day knowing the other 4 will produce or at least keep it close to par. It also doesn't hurt that Windermere is anchored by Logan Jerrells who is easily the golfer of the year in the area for high school. I'm not kidding, I've seen the kid basically make a run at the course record every time we have played. I hope he continues that form once tournament season starts, because no offense to Florida Southern, but if he's capable of this regularly he's WAY too good for them.

>

> We started the season under performing, but we are improving enough we should have a shot at least at Regions and States. Regions will be the challenge given the teams you listed, any of them and us could win or qualify for States. I have the best kid in the county and arguably the state, but he hasn't had a lights out round yet this season. Hoping he has been saving them up for the end of the season because I know how bad he wants to win States before heading to college.

>

> Crazy to think averaging 2 under per 9 on the hardest courses in tournament conditions is "meh", but his goal for the year in terms of scoring average was a 32 and that isn't far off what he averaged last year.

Chiles out of Tallahassee has to be the favorite to win.

3A Region 2 is the toughest region in the state by far. I see 5-7 teams going to state out of that region. I see these 5 times making it for sure. The first 4 teams are deep. Gardens doesn't have that one or two kids that can carry a team, but are really deep.

1. Windemere

2. Vero Beach

3. Lake Nona

4. Palm Beach Gardens

5. Dr. Phillip's

The thing is, you never know at Mission Inn. That course is hard. If you can shoot 300 two days in row as a team you can win.

• Like 1

> @Doc420 said:

> So are the dominant golf programs in your states private schools?

Not in Central Florida.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @Noles said:

> > I just wish they would play the playoffs with the same number of kids as in the regular season. Tough seeing kids that got you to the playoffs have to sit home come playoff time.

>

> Play better

It’s not that, it is weird to be vital all season and then to cut down the number of players from 6 to 5. As a coach, it would make development much easier to keep it at 6, and it isn’t like there isn’t room on the course for each team to play 1 more.

I personally never understood it.

> @Noles said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @Noles said:

> > > I just wish they would play the playoffs with the same number of kids as in the regular season. Tough seeing kids that got you to the playoffs have to sit home come playoff time.

> >

> > Play better

>

> How would that help?

Webb Simpson on speaking to Tiger about making the President's Cup Team:

9ykro30nj8kd.jpg

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @Noles said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @Noles said:

> > > > I just wish they would play the playoffs with the same number of kids as in the regular season. Tough seeing kids that got you to the playoffs have to sit home come playoff time.

> > >

> > > Play better

> >

> > How would that help?

>

> Webb Simpson on speaking to Tiger about making the President's Cup Team:

>

> 9ykro30nj8kd.jpg

>

I heard this when it came out weeks ago. It doesn't answer the question at all. Tell me how it would help the situation I brought up? Do the math before you answer again.

• Like 1

> @Noles said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @Noles said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > @Noles said:

> > > > > I just wish they would play the playoffs with the same number of kids as in the regular season. Tough seeing kids that got you to the playoffs have to sit home come playoff time.

> > > >

> > > > Play better

> > >

> > > How would that help?

> >

> > Webb Simpson on speaking to Tiger about making the President's Cup Team:

> >

> > 9ykro30nj8kd.jpg

> >

>

> I heard this when it came out weeks ago. It doesn't answer the question at all. Tell me how it would help the situation I brought up? Do the math before you answer again.

How do you expect to "help the situation"? Not everybody makes it to the PGA Tour FedEx Cup Playoffs. Not everybody who wants to be an astronaut becomes an astronaut. Not everybody who plays on the high school team during the season gets to play during the playoffs. If you are on the high school golf team and you know that only the top players on the team get to play during the playoffs, then play better so that you are one of the top players on your team.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @Doc420 said:

> > So are the dominant golf programs in your states private schools?

>

> Not in Central Florida.

> @wildcatden said:

> > @Noles said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @Noles said:

> > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > @Noles said:

> > > > > > I just wish they would play the playoffs with the same number of kids as in the regular season. Tough seeing kids that got you to the playoffs have to sit home come playoff time.

> > > > >

> > > > > Play better

> > > >

> > > > How would that help?

> > >

> > > Webb Simpson on speaking to Tiger about making the President's Cup Team:

> > >

> > > 9ykro30nj8kd.jpg

> > >

> >

> > I heard this when it came out weeks ago. It doesn't answer the question at all. Tell me how it would help the situation I brought up? Do the math before you answer again.

>

> How do you expect to "help the situation"? Not everybody makes it to the PGA Tour FedEx Cup Playoffs. Not everybody who wants to be an astronaut becomes an astronaut. Not everybody who plays on the high school team during the season gets to play during the playoffs. If you are on the high school golf team and you know that only the top players on the team get to play during the playoffs, then play better so that you are one of the top players on your team.

>

He actually has a point. 6 kids usually play during the season. They can only take 5 to the post season. You can have a 6th player that is better than other teams #1 player. You can’t even take the number 6 as an individual to qualify for states as an individual. In many cases number 5 and 6 are identical players.

• Like 1