2019 Mizuno MP-20 HMB Iron Pics- Compare Pics

GolfWRX

Well. I guess I will have to replace my brand new 919Fs with those HMBs. Cant really see how my tinkering mind can escape that. 4th set this season then...

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSr2 8.25

Wood: Titleist TSr2 15

Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 4hy 20

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Titleist Tei3 Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R

Hit all three the other day. I already play a combo set of M18 from blade to Fli-Hi. The blades in this set are amazing. Surprised how high they launched for me. The MMC felt good, looked mostly good at address. Felt slightly clunky, but not bad. HMB also look good, but still felt a little clunky. Still, I’ll probably get that or the JPX 919 HM Pro in a 4 iron and keep my 3 Hybrid. All are solid irons, but I’d recommend people looking at the HMB also look at the JPX 919 HM Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic pictures! Not sure how I missed this thread but glad I stumbled on it now. Reaffirms my thoughts that I'm ordering a full set of HMB's.

Titleist TSR3 Driver
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3i

Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60*
Byron Morgan 615

Callaway Chrome Tour

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> HMB's look awesome. As a lefty I am so thrilled they finally got us a sleek looking player's iron that will still offer some foregiveness.

Tried the HMB outdoors today with a steelfiber shaft. Top line is on the thicker side but there isn't a ton of offset - they look great.

Better still they absolutely nailed the sound. They're not rockets - I didn't notice an appreciable difference in distance from my 919T 7i.

I play 919 Forged in 5& 6i and am seriously considering switching to these, at least in the 5i.

> @PorscheFan said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > HMB's look awesome. As a lefty I am so thrilled they finally got us a sleek looking player's iron that will still offer some foregiveness.

>

> Tried the HMB outdoors today with a steelfiber shaft. Top line is on the thicker side but there isn't a ton of offset - they look great.

>

> Better still they absolutely nailed the sound. They're not rockets - I didn't notice an appreciable difference in distance from my 919T 7i.

>

> I play 919 Forged in 5& 6i and am seriously considering switching to these, at least in the 5i.

You found the 5 & 6 irons more forgiving that the 919 Forged? I was considering picking up a new set of the Forged but maybe I’ll look at the HMB’s

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 60 S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 3W & 5W Tensei Blue 60 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW DG 105S (bent 2* weak)
Cleveland RTX6 54 & 58*
TM Spider HB DB 34”

> @pmang said:

> You found the 5 & 6 irons more forgiving that the 919 Forged? I was considering picking up a new set of the Forged but maybe I’ll look at the HMB’s

I don’t have a complete answer to that I’m afraid. I play the 919T & F in DG 105s and I seem to do better with slightly heavier shafts. I only tried the HMB with 110g steelfiber and - unusually for me - I never missed the center of the face. I was the first person to hit the head and there was only one ball mark on the club face.

I plan to go back tomorrow and see how it fairs on my usual random strikes with the DG 105. The Forged definitely give better ball speed when you hit close to center vs. the Tours but IMHO I don’t feel they’re a ton more forgiving. I think the feel on the Forged is fine when you hit center-ish of face where the center of the cut-back is, but when you hit farther out than that (which I do) I don’t like either the sound or the results.

Still more testing to do, but I’m initially impressed with the HMB. What I’m looking to find out if I can get better sound and results out of more of the face area than I experience with the Forged.

• Like 1

> @PorscheFan said:

>

> > @pmang said:

> > You found the 5 & 6 irons more forgiving that the 919 Forged? I was considering picking up a new set of the Forged but maybe I’ll look at the HMB’s

>

> I don’t have a complete answer to that I’m afraid. I play the 919T & F in DG 105s and I seem to do better with slightly heavier shafts. I only tried the HMB with 110g steelfiber and - unusually for me - I never missed the center of the face. I was the first person to hit the head and there was only one ball mark on the club face.

>

> I plan to go back tomorrow and see how it fairs on my usual random strikes with the DG 105. The Forged definitely give better ball speed when you hit close to center vs. the Tours but IMHO I don’t feel they’re a ton more forgiving. I think the feel on the Forged is fine when you hit center-ish of face where the center of the cut-back is, but when you hit farther out than that (which I do) I don’t like either the sound or the results.

>

> Still more testing to do, but I’m initially impressed with the HMB. What I’m looking to find out if I can get better sound and results out of more of the face area than I experience with the Forged.

>

I look forward to your findings. Thanks!

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 60 S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 3W & 5W Tensei Blue 60 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW DG 105S (bent 2* weak)
Cleveland RTX6 54 & 58*
TM Spider HB DB 34”

> @pmang said:

> I look forward to your findings. Thanks!

>

Here you go:

I hit the HMB 7 iron outdoors directly against my own 919T 7 iron (which I love). I couldn't compare to my 6i or 5i Forged since the demos only come in 7i, but I have a season's work of experience with them that allows me to compare.

Looks

As I thought the HMB has a thickish top line. They bevel it but it's still obvious. However, combined with less offset than the Forged (Yay!), a compact-ish blade size, and a fairly compact sole, they look really good. Better than Forged at address IMHO. There's a neat trick with the sole where they bevel off the back edge... not only does this visual trick work better than the top line bevel, but it would probably make turf interaction pretty similar to the Tour, which is only a good thing to me.

Performance

I was hitting range balls into a slight breeze. Back is sore today, so I wasn't going all out on distance, but I loved this thing, largely because it wasn't performing that different to my Tour 7i.

Sound - great outdoors. Maybe a different matter indoors, but outside it sounded great for this type of club. The sound didn't turn weird when you hit a little away from the sweet spot either, whereas the Forged can start to sound and feel a little dead to me in the same conditions. For comparison, I hit Titlest AP1 on the same range last year and thought the sound was ridiculous to my ears.

Feel - The 'feel' (backed up by flight and result) was that it felt/sounded better over more of the face than the Forged. It felt very friendly to me. Against the Mizuno blurb I couldn't discern a slight toe or slight heel strike the way I can with my Tours, but I'm no expert.

Flight - soaring, but not in a 'distance iron' way, but in a Mizuno way. The peak height seemed very similar to my Tour, andmoreimportantly, so did the overall arc. Spin? I don't know... I had no way to judge, but the ball flight gives me hope. Also, slight thins (a miss of mine) still had decent height.

Distance - again, no way to compare to Forged club-for-club, but my Tour 7i was carrying 150-155 today. HMB was carrying 155-160. This is no distance iron IMO, and I LOVE that. I'd guess distance is very close to the Forged, then, but with less of a binary (sweet / dead) impact in my opinion.

In short, I have even more respect for this iron today than I did yesterday. I have nothing to offer regarding spin, and that's a big omission. In short, I'd definitely give both a try if in the market for the Forged.

7ouvca96rlt5.jpg

hme1bioe894e.jpg

tqv5iv0wm82m.jpg

tsll4fiv0m54.jpg

• Like 1

> @Lakers2020 said:

> lots of forgiving blade models coming out from OEM's. I'm guessing the HMB is hollow like the P790's?

Correct that they’re hollow, but they don’t play like most.

They’re either “really friendly players’ clubs” or “the world’s worst power bats” depending on your expectations. I love that fact that they don’t try to be everything to everyone.

P790 comparison here:

Totally agree. Did Club Champion fitting yesterday. 3 handicap but not a great ballstriker (very good at pitching & putting). Very average swing speed - around 84 mph with the 6-iron. Path is very consistent between neutral and 2 degrees out-to-in. Face-to-path near zero, but strike location kinda all over. Currently play MP-64s with PX LZ 5.5. I love them dearly but with a demanding job and two kids now, I'm having too many days now where they just tell me I suck and refuse to make the ball fly.

After 2+ hrs of hitting everything under the sun at Club Champion, I ended up ordering the HMB with Steelfiber i95cw shafts yesterday. Picked up 3 mph club speed with the lighter weight and they're going to build them to my current swingweights (around D3.5). 7-8 yards longer than my current setup (2 degrees stronger loft, plus the speed from the shafts). I'm terrified that I'll hate the shafts but I'm trying to trust the process. Time will tell.

These aren't rockets and they aren't supposed to be. I REALLY liked the T200s, so much that they almost beat out the Mizunos but they're ugly in the bag and I feel like I understand the feedback from the Mizunos better. Titleist should've enclosed the back like Mizuno did instead of showing that ugly tungsten screw. Shame because they look beautiful at address and they really perform.

The HMBs are very forgiving compared to everything I've played for 20 years and distance dispersion (criminally underrated performance metric!) was amazing. Bad shots get there a different way but everything kinda ends up the same place unless you hit it really bad. Heavy shots lose ball speed but also spin so they still carry, thin shots lose height but not much speed or spin. Off center hits feel just a hair less nice but the fitter laughed because the numbers didn't move. They just got them in & aren't allowed to ship until Sep 20th so I was his first HMB buyer but surely the first of many to come. This is one damn good set of irons.

My only beef is that I wish they'd made the top line sharper. Rounding it off makes it look chubby like the Apex. I far prefer the look of the 919 tour but my goal was more forgiveness so those didn't make sense.

Lastly, don't sleep on the progressive nature of the set. The 8-iron loses the tungsten weights and the 9-iron & wedge are 1025E like the blades instead of chromoly so they're as soft as the blades.

Aside from my simple desire to play sharp looking irons, I’m curious on the forgiveness side. Would it make sense to combo mp20 HMBs in P,9,8,7 with Hot metals 919 in 6,5,4 or are they very far apart where this would not be productive?

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”