2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How many times can a person shoot 80 before breaking through? (ANSWER ON PAGE 4!)

vbb

> So in summary - **Eliminating double bogies is the key to breaking 80.**

Thus endeth the lesson.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Unfortunately it can happen quite a few times! I shot 80 on the number 7 times before I finally broke it for this year! Total mental thing, I would come in 6-6 7-6 9-7 after playing great all day, it was insane. Going much better second half of the year and been hitting the 70s more often than not. Also hit a new PR at 1 over for 18

Im 52 and been playing since I was a kid. I didnt play much from 2005 to 2016 as I was raising a daughter and didnt have the funds or time othe tan range balls or par 3 with my daughter.

Shot 80 a dozen or more times . Missed many putts on for 79 many times.

2017 I started playing again. Practicing with a purpose and set a goal to be single digits. My first full 18 I shot 79. Never touched 70s again in 2017. Started practicing more in the off season and by July 2018 I got to single digits with numerous rounds in the 70s.

At 52 I dont let ego get to me. Play within myself, practice with a purpose, manage the course, and carry a mental eraser.

Stick with it

> @RainShadow said:

>

> > So in summary - **Eliminating double bogies is the key to breaking 80.**

> Thus endeth the lesson.

>

Nearly always right... Here's my round from Saturday. Third hole massive slice into the trees, and did well with 3 off the tee to make 6. Tenth hole I was middle of the fairway with 140 in. Hit a poor iron shot that spun up off the bank in front of the bunker greenside and landed next to the front lip. Had to pitch out sideways, chipped on then went on to 3 putt.

What I felt I did well afterwards was to put the bad holes out of my mind. If you look at my card I followed the double or triple with a good score. I allowed myself to reset, take in my pre-shot routine and forget about the previous bad holes. One thing that has allowed me to score well this season is a consistent pre-shot routine that has focussed me on the next shot, not the previous bad hole.

k2prg0m6vcgc.png

> @JJ35 said:

> Your story reminds me of myself, same scenario every round shaking in my shoes at the 18th green. The way I beat 80 was by doing 1 thing, record your score each hole then put the card away do not add up or count anything until the round is over, you'll know if you have been playing well enough but resist the urge to tally score mid round.

Sound advice. I can’t help myself but to keep a mental tally though. It’s pretty easy to keep track of four or five over going into the final stretch compared to my usual 10 or so!

I've played the best golf of my life this summer. Had a major swing breakthrough coupled with an equally major mental/attitude breakthrough.

I've always kept score after each hole, but didn't tally. I'd try to lose track of my overall score so as not to have to deal with the nerves of realizing I was on pace for breaking 80. A round in the 70's was so important to me at times on the back nine I just wanted the round to be over as soon as possible so I could ensure my coveted score. Having overcome the hurdle and broken 80 several times the past couple of years - I had my mental/attitude breakthrough in July on the 12th hole in middle of a solid round on pace to break 80. Instead of calculating how many bogey's I could make coming in to still break 80 and wanting so badly for the round to be over so I could guarantee my sub-80 round, I realized these nerves are the reason I play golf. The fun part is to being playing well, having to hit good shots, recovering from bad shots, making clutch 4 foot putts, feeling the nerves. It's not carding a 79 or a 75 or an 81 - the joy of that number quickly fades, but reliving the intensity of the a great round - when you hit a perfect 5 iron over water, when you made a clutch par or birdie down the stretch, when you regrouped after a bad hole and didn't derail - that's the fun part that keeps me coming back. Embrace the moment when you're playing well , appreciate it and realize it doesn't happen every round - then focus on play smart, agressive golf and playing as well as possible. Most importantly have fun! You'll probably play better and if you don't you'll be in a better position to look at the positives and learn from the negatives.

The saga continues...

Today I went out as a single just looking to play 9 after work (got done a little early today). Par on 1 and drained a 15ft putt for birdie on two, which is the number 1 handicapped hole on the course. Ok, this is a good sign. Shot at 38 on the front. Well, I guess I'm playing 18 now. The tee boxes on #10 and #13 are very close to one another, and I ran in to some good buddies playing as a twosome as they were walking off the green at 12. The older couple in front of me on #10 was showing no sign of letting me through, so despite my excellent front nine, I joined up with my buddies on 13, which is a 190yd par 3. I doubled it...making my first double of the day. When I walked off of 18, I was at 8 over for the day (par 70) so I said screw it and went back to #10. Bogey. #11 another double bogey, and that was it. Granted, this round would have had an asterisk anyway because I skipped 10-12 and returned later, but still. Another near miss.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

> @vbb said:

> The saga continues...

> Today I went out as a single just looking to play 9 after work (got done a little early today). Par on 1 and drained a 15ft putt for birdie on two, which is the number 1 handicapped hole on the course. Ok, this is a good sign. Shot at 38 on the front. Well, I guess I'm playing 18 now. The tee boxes on #10 and #13 are very close to one another, and I ran in to some good buddies playing as a twosome as they were walking off the green at 12. The older couple in front of me on #10 was showing no sign of letting me through, so despite my excellent front nine, I joined up with my buddies on 13, which is a 190yd par 3. I doubled it...making my first double of the day. When I walked off of 18, I was at 8 over for the day (par 70) so I said screw it and went back to #10. Bogey. #11 another double bogey, and that was it. Granted, this round would have had an asterisk anyway because I skipped 10-12 and returned later, but still. Another near miss.

I wouldn't fret. If you're able shoot a 38 on the front, you're going to eventually put something together and break 80, without a doubt. I shot 80 probably 11 or 12 times before I finally broke through. I didn't feel like I was doing things badly, and it was a combination of knowing and not knowing the score at various parts of various rounds, but when I finally did break 80, I shot a 75 playing a small money game with a group of older guys. I think I ended up winning like $30 in addition to setting a new personal record, making for an excellent weekend. You're going to have it in no time! Also, try not to be like me once you break 80. I followed up my 75 with a 92 my next time out. Mr. Big guy! Breaking 80! Unstoppable on the course now! Soon to be shooting par! Nope. 92, lol.

I can certainly feel your pain. It took me forever and a ton of 80/81s before I finally broke 80.

It all came down to me just making sure my drive was in play, and I don’t get too greedy on approach shots. That reduced my penalties which meant little to no doubles and only a few bogies where I either 3 putted or didn’t chip the ball well enough to get up and down.

You got it though!!!

Forever Changing at this point.......

• 2 weeks later...

Golf is an odd game...had been trying to break 80 for years and had come close so many times, so many soul crushing times. One day I took a buddy out who was just starting out in the game. Was giving him pointers on the range and managing shots on the course not really focusing on my own game. All facets of my game were on and calmly shot a smooth 72. I’ve scored in the upper 70s a handful of time but never can close to par since.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

I was waiting for this thread to come back up before I jumped on it. I was totally at that 80 wall for months.

As noted elsewhere, I started working with a swing coach a couple weeks ago. My first round after a bit of effort to groove in his work, I shot a 74. And that included the dumbest double ever. Chili dipped a chip after leaving a 5 iron wide open on a par 3 tee shot. Really tried to hole out the next one but it checked up too quick and left myself 15 feet for bogey, which I missed.

Next was a 78. Again, could have been better had I not dumped an approach into the water.

Feeling really, really good about my game lately. If I can get some of my short game going better (just chipping, I've been putting great lately), I'm breaking par. Soon.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @shaneyank said:

> Be careful what you wish for. When you start breaking 80 on a regular basis, it just won't be good enough. You'll start wanting to break 78... then 76... We always want/need more :smile:

This is true. I've had to curb my expectations because, I moved to a new geographical region with different grasses, and suddenly my common 74s and below have become 80s and 81s. It's super irritating, but I've been working to curb my expectations.

Most of the people that I play with, including me, are in that 7-10 handicap which is usually in that 80's range. On those days where everything just clicks, you would see a bunch of mid to high 70's on the scorecard. The one constant that I do notice is that our short games are decent, but inconsistent at best. We leave a lot of strokes around the green. Being able to shoot 80 usually means you can hit good drives and good, not great, approach shots. You either end up in a green side bunker or have a a testy chip or a long putt. We just find ways to end up with bogey on about half the holes when they easily could be pars. Even if we can improve just enough to save 4 strokes from those 9 holes, then all of a sudden, that 82 turns into a 78. I know a 6 handicap that would putt if out of a green side bunker if he could. Thats how scared of it he is.

What is the basic routine for practice that we all see. We go to the range, hit a big bucket of balls and then go home. Maybe get in 5-10 minutes of putting before we do. Most ranges that I go to, have a short game practice area for pitching, chipping, bunkers and putting and it is nearly always empty, which tells that many people are overlooking their short game and how many strokes it could shave off your score. You're not always going to drive the ball 280-300 yards right in the middle of the fairway. You're not going to hit your approach shots within 10 feet every time. Those are shots that you're going to miss no matter how much practice you put in at the range and thats also goes for scratch golfers and even pros. For the most part, those guys are able to save pars with a great chip or bunker shot, while we could be in the same spot and we're already thinking about bogey and occasionally ending up with a double. Recently, my best score is a 74 and I honestly don't think I hit the ball any better than the days I've shot 82. The difference was that I was on fire around and on the greens.

So the next time you go to the range and see the short game area open, instead of hitting 100 balls at the range. Hit half that and spend time in the short game area. You'd be amazed how much more confident you'd be when you're chipping or in a bunker when you're playing.

Until they’re ready mentally~

If not, then as long as they play the game??

Ferg’s first sentence is Gold??!!

Fairways Greens & Breakin 80 My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

> @vbb said:

> Lipped the putt out. Tap in for bogey, and what must be my 5th or 6th time shooting 80.

I did exactly that the first 2 times I had a real shot to break 80. Makeable (but not short) putts on 18 that looked like they were for 79 in but lipped out.

My first actual breakthrough was in a round with 2 friends and my brother in law. I'm 5 over heading to the 18th tee, a 3-shot par 5 knowing that double bogie will be good enough. I hit a good tee shot and a good second and I'm in position. Meanwhile my brother in law is imploding. He's in the water, in the water a 2nd time, flailing away and eventually taking one of those John Daley style one handed wacks from the US Open which only got me more nervous so I chunk my 3rd, hit a terrible chip and ultimately find myself 10 feet above the hole lying 6 at which point I ram one directly into the cup that would have been 10 feet past if it missed for that double bogie. 79!

• 2 weeks later...

It happened to me today.

Finished work and got to the course as quick as possible, hit a ball with each club to warm up and then a few short putts for the speed.

Managed to go +7 on the front and that was with a triple and two doubles in there as well, had a bogey but a birdie on an unlikely hole salvaged the front somewhat.

I use game golf to track my score and my mate asked what I was on and I said +7. This was meant to be a calm relaxed Friday arvo round.

On to the back, par, par double. I thought alright, a little slip there but it’s all good. Finished the last 6 holes in 1 under to shoot a 78. However the trick for me was to not look at the scorecard at all. I just played golf and hit the shots I knew I could hit.

Was just a flat out good time talking smack with a mate and playing golf. The only other time I’ve been close is 82 so let’s hope it’s not too long between now and the next time. However I’ve only really been playing golf since February so I have a lot of Golf to play.

The key is to just go out and play your game and not look at the scorecard.

• 8 months later...

Old thread bump but I did it yet again. 39 front, 41 back. I was actually even on the back through the first three holes, then put two back to back doubles on the card due to lost balls. Another double on #17 and that was the round (and it was a stupid mental error, because 17 is a dogleg left and rather than play the smart shot to the bend, I pull driver out and put myself into the woods with trees between me and a clear path back to the fairway).

This one was extra frustrating because three of my doubles for the round were on par 3s, and my iron play is usually my strength.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

Watched my good friend and playing partner break this barrier last night.

I believe he was stuck on 11 rounds at 80 or 81. Many of them fantastic train wreck chokes we've all battled at one point.

He shot a 36 on the front. I knew where he was at and didnt say a word. Striped his tee shot on 10 and said "I know where I'm at and I'm just gonna play aggressive tonight and go get it done!"

He didnt back into the 'breaking 80 door'. He freaking kicked it in with a 74 hahaha. I've never seen a first time with such a low score. A smooth net 62 for him on mens night hahaha.

I have broken 80 numerous times but for some reason this year it is an impossible task! My last 16 rounds have been between 80-83 with the majority shooting 40 or less on one of the nines. I’ve even hade a round with 4 birdies and shot 80! Every round I have two holes that kill me usually doubles or an occasional triple. My last round holes 13-18 I went par, birdie, par, birdie, and then closed out double, double! I just can shake or avoid two bad holes each round.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

• 2 months later...

Over 17 months since I started this thread, I finally did it.  78 on a par 70.  Out in 37 and came in at 41.

Of course I could tell the tale shot by shot, but here are the highlights:

-My tee game was average.  Not great, not terrible... but my wedges were fantastic. 

-I had 5 one putts on the round, two of which were for birdie. I also had two par saves of 8ft.

-Played the whole round in 2:45mins with one other player who had his own cart (social distancing) and didn't feel like I was rushing at all.

-Only had one penalty... hit a water hazard near the green resulting in my only double bogey of the day.

-Hit two bunkers and got out great both times. One left me a foot from the hole for a tap-in par, the other left me maybe 15ft.  My bunker play is normally below average though, so this was big for me.

-Did not fold under pressure.  I knew where I stood the entire round (see my previous posts on this) and the most nervous I was all day was probably my tee shot on #10 after having made the turn at 2 over.  I held it together, parred 10 after a very good drive and then went in to cruise control.  It was remarkably stress-free.

So I finally did it.  Whew.

Now I want to do it again!

Edited by vbb
  • Like 1

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

• vbb changed the title to How many times can a person shoot 80 before breaking through? (ANSWER ON PAGE 4!)