So I hit it perfectly but it doesn't go straight..

austinsmithon

SO... Okay obviously I'm being a little facetious. I am no pro. I know I'm not the greatest ball striker. And it doesn't help that I refuse to use anything but blades (I mainly play by myself so it more for enjoyment).

HOOOOOOWEVER! Something has been nagging me. I seem to be able to hit the proper sweet spot on fairly regular basis. At least enough to know what what it feels like. With good compression. Striking the ball first. etc etc.

The issue is even if I have a great "strike" the ball doesn't always go straight. Can anyone confirm is this just face open/closed and pathing right? Is there anything else it could be? - I should add when this specifically is an issue it is usually a hook. There is the occasional slice. Also my main concern is with my irons-

Additional question. Any tips and/or drills you guys have to help with reining in that consistency?

Thanks!

Edit. Added a video. Nit picking welcomed. As some have pointed out my knowledge base isn't there I might wrong about everything. The biggest problem I see is my right leg extension (I like the first swing better tho) .

Depending on your skill level, it might be helpful to you if you learn how to purposely hit hooks/draws/fades/slices. Start with the mid iron and half swings on the range. To make the ball curve left, you need to make it spin counterclockwise horizontally (and likewise a clockwise spin will make it curve right).

If you have the feeling down for how to purposely make the ball curve both ways, it is easier to hit it straight since you know how to make adjustments to the ball flight.

> @cadoipi said:

> Depending on your skill level, it might be helpful to you if you learn how to purposely hit hooks/draws/fades/slices. Start with the mid iron and half swings on the range. To make the ball curve left, you need to make it spin counterclockwise horizontally (and likewise a clockwise spin will make it curve right).

>

> If you have the feeling down for how to purposely make the ball curve both ways, it is easier to hit it straight since you know how to make adjustments to the ball flight.

hmmmmm. I've never thought of that approach. I like it! I shall give it a shot (pun intended). Thanks!

Traditional clubs require quieter, more neutral hands. Possible you're flipping to save a stuck position or hanging on for an OTT move. Dunno. More neutral hands force addressing poor path or down plane issues which leads to emphasis of the proper bottoming of swing which is perhaps the hardest to master. Which then leads to better body geometry & sequencing and the tweaking of muscle groups to play their proper role. At least that's how it went for me. Sounds fun? It's why GI, or high MOI irons are so in vogue.

> @Nard_S said:

> Traditional clubs require quieter, more neutral hands. Possible you're flipping to save a stuck position or hanging on for an OTT move. Dunno. More neutral hands force addressing poor path or down plane issues which leads to emphasis of the proper bottoming of swing which is perhaps the hardest to master. Which then leads to better body geometry & sequencing and the tweaking of muscle groups to play their proper role. At least that's how it went for me. Sounds fun? It's why GI, or high MOI irons are so in vogue.

Sounds fun to me. I love learning :D I'll take a look at my wrists

It a path problem, a face problem, an angle of attack problem, a raising the handle problem, or some combination of those.

A wild guess is in an effort to “compress” it, you are steep and raising the handle too much at impact.

Not being snide, but the incidence of people who say they compress the ball well, but don’t hit it straight are way too steep...is almost 100%

Compression is not hitting down and taking a divot. Big myth.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

If the ball doesn't go straight, you added spin on the ball. Signifying impact was NOT as pure or as great a strike as you think. Plus, I agree with @MonteScheinblum regarding compressing the ball or lack thereof.

Typically, I hit a straight ball with all my clubs and learned the game using Mizuno MB and Titleist MB's. When I hit the ball I typically don't notice impact unless it was fractionally off the sweet spot. Today's MB's have a nickel size sweet spot and it's centered and somewhat back, as opposed to the dime-size sweet spot that was fractionally closer to face and heel, that I learned with.

If you miss it slightly off-center towards the heel or toe and or you're clubhead is too steep you add spin and change direction. The direction then depends on the direction of the breeze as it exaggerates spin. My 2cents.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @cadoipi said:

> Depending on your skill level, it might be helpful to you if you learn how to purposely hit hooks/draws/fades/slices. Start with the mid iron and half swings on the range. To make the ball curve left, you need to make it spin counterclockwise horizontally (and likewise a clockwise spin will make it curve right).

>

> If you have the feeling down for how to purposely make the ball curve both ways, it is easier to hit it straight since you know how to make adjustments to the ball flight.

It may seem counter intuitive that practicing mistakes can reap several benefits, but far from it, the ends justify the means.

> @Pepperturbo said:

> **If the ball doesn't go straight, you added spin on the ball. Signifying impact was NOT as pure or as great a strike as you think**. Plus, I agree with @MonteScheinblum regarding compressing the ball or lack thereof.

>

> Typically, I hit a straight ball with all my clubs and learned the game using Mizuno MB and Titleist MB's. When I hit the ball I typically don't notice impact unless it was fractionally off the sweet spot. Today's MB's have a nickel size sweet spot and it's centered and somewhat back, as opposed to the dime-size sweet spot that was fractionally closer to face and heel, that I learned with.

>

> If you miss it slightly off-center towards the heel or toe and or you're clubhead is too steep you add spin and change direction. The direction then depends on the direction of the breeze as it exaggerates spin. My 2cents.

hitting the ball solid and having curve have little to do with each other. can clank it straight or pure it and hook it off planet or slice it hard.

also irons dont really have gear effect so with them you really arent adding curve. with woods, sure

Is your mishit consistent? If you feel like you like the way you are moving is consistent and to your liking, but the ball isn't going the direction you want then you may only need to make a grip adjustment to get you on target.

Not everyone knows what their impact position really is, but if you can swing down to impact and freeze your swing there look at where the club face is pointed. If it's not pointed at your target loosen your grip to the point you can rotate the club face (using your finger) to point at your target (without taking your hands off the club). Once your club face is on target re-tighten your grip. Without taking your hand off the club return to your setup position. Look at how your hands are now positioned. That is the grip you need at setup to match your swing to have it on target at impact.

Golfers like Dustin Johnson, Fred Couples, David Duval, and Paul Azinger all have "strong" grips with their left hands rotated on top of the club, and right hand underneath. That grip matches up with their body/arm/shoulder movement. All of the above mentioned have their core (abs, torso,etc) rotated open aggressively at impact.

On the other side of the spectrum you have Ernie Els (back in his prime in the 90's), Nick Faldo (also during his prime in the late 80's early 90's), Charles Howell III, and Rory Mcilroy who have more "neutral" grips that are less open with their body at impact and have more arm dominance in their swings as opposed to the body rotation dominance of the previously mentioned players.

If you're not happy with the feel and consistency of your swing as it currently is then you may be better off changing the way you swing before you match your grip to your particular swing characteristics.

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter

> @pinhigh27 said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > **If the ball doesn't go straight, you added spin on the ball. Signifying impact was NOT as pure or as great a strike as you think**. Plus, I agree with @MonteScheinblum regarding compressing the ball or lack thereof.

> >

> > Typically, I hit a straight ball with all my clubs and learned the game using Mizuno MB and Titleist MB's. When I hit the ball I typically don't notice impact unless it was fractionally off the sweet spot. Today's MB's have a nickel size sweet spot and it's centered and somewhat back, as opposed to the dime-size sweet spot that was fractionally closer to face and heel, that I learned with.

> >

> > If you miss it slightly off-center towards the heel or toe and or you're clubhead is too steep you add spin and change direction. The direction then depends on the direction of the breeze as it exaggerates spin. My 2cents.

>

> hitting the ball solid and having curve have little to do with each other. can clank it straight or pure it and hook it off planet or slice it hard.

>

> also irons dont really have gear effect so with them you really arent adding curve. with woods, sure

I disagree but don't expect to change anyone's mind. It's my understanding of my ball striking with my MB's. Also, never said the gear effect associated with woods is the same as a poorly stuck iron. I hit a pretty straight ball but when I want to bend it left or right I do it through the setup and how the clubhead comes into contact with the ball. Anything other than perfect contact on the sweet spot means the lesser density of the surrounding face area and impact angle means the ball is NOT going straight but may be left or right, too far or not far enough. Right or wrong, we can agree to disagree and I'll keep doing what works for me.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

You did not have a perfect strike if the result is not close to what you expected.

In other words, you do..... stolen that from not own your current golf swing. yet.

Golf is not a game of perfect, Dr. Bob Rotella. Won't hurt you to read that book if you hadn't already know most the sports a re not games of perfection, it's the effort to minimize the imperfection.

From your video, it seemed you had more of a push/slice instead of a slice, release to the target line. Do you actually have a clear picture of the target line visualized ?

As for not feeling the "sweet spot hit", That could have something to do with the equipment. Or some of us are just not built the same way, some are more sensitive and some are less. I'm betting on the equipment. The cast GI irons don't give much of a feedback, so arn't the graphite shafts.